Common Initialisms and Acronyms used in posts

2»

Comments

• It could also be the Society of St. Margaret, an Anglican (and Episcopal) religious order for women.
    :wink:

• Eutychus wrote: »
    Edited To Add

Either that, or the shipmate is ending his posts with communiques from Basque separatists.

• PSA - Penal Substitution Atonement

I've seen that used elsewhere, but not at all in the same context, and I gather that PSA can also mean 'Personal Self Advice' - for example, when a poster corrects another poster regarding the first poster's gender...

It can also mean 'Public Service Announcement', though that's probably less likely to be used here.

Here's one used in the Ambulance Service (and probably elsewhere), which may (or may not) be of service on the Ship:

FUBAR - Fu*ked Up Beyond All [Hope Of] Recovery.

A 'shorthand' used orally, and also (in contravention of Rules) as an abbreviation on a report form...
    :grimace:

• It can also mean 'Public Service Announcement', though that's probably less likely to be used here.

Humorously it was used here for just that meaning just today.
  • O - I missed that! Just out of interest, where was it?
  • In one of the James Boswell II threads -- Doublethink said "PSA - I'm female."
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    Yes, I saw that, but I thought she meant 'Personal Self Advice'!
    :confused:

The other meanings could equally well apply, of course...
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host, Hell Host
    ...Here's one used in the Ambulance Service (and probably elsewhere), which may (or may not) be of service on the Ship:

FUBAR - Fu*ked Up Beyond All [Hope Of] Recovery. ...
    I've heard that used by a number of people, most of them veterans of one branch or another of the military.

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    Not v. much used on the Ship atm. Might come in useful when I can’t sort out heavily mangled, deeply nested quoting code.
  • Goes along with SNAFU (Situation normal, all F-ed up) and TARFU (Things are really f-ed up)
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    Goes along with SNAFU (Situation normal, all F-ed up) and TARFU (Things are really f-ed up)

Similarly, TOFU is an engineering term that I need to use quite often. I don't think it needs much explanation (Totally... etc.)

Anent PSA above, another occurrence is in my favourite of Chesterton's poems Wine and Water (...you can't get wine at a PSA, or chapel, or Eisteddfod..) in what appears to be a Welsh context. I eventually asked a Welsh minister if he could explain it, and he thought it might be the Pentre Salvation Army, which was at least plausible.
  • No. PSA in this context means "Pleasant Sunday Afternoon", which was basically a ' movement started in nonconformist chapels with the aim of getting unchurched young people off the streets and into informal church meetings - a sort of less structured youth and adult Sunday School. Although it may have existed in Wales it started in West Bromwich and the Black Country.

My last church (Suffolk) still had some crockery emblazoned with "Tacket Street P.S.A." on it! I think I was the only person who knew what it meant.

I don't know if it spread into Scotland, where Saturday late-afternoon "tea meetings" were popular and still existed 30 years ago, at least.
  • No. PSA in this context means "Pleasant Sunday Afternoon", which was basically a ' movement started in nonconformist chapels with the aim of getting unchurched young people off the streets and into informal church meetings - a sort of less structured youth and adult Sunday School. Although it may have existed in Wales it started in West Bromwich and the Black Country.

My last church (Suffolk) still had some crockery emblazoned with "Tacket Street P.S.A." on it! I think I was the only person who knew what it meant.

I don't know if it spread into Scotland, where Saturday late-afternoon "tea meetings" were popular and still existed 30 years ago, at least.

Thanks - I'm probably not the only one who has spent many years wondering what on earth Chesterton meant. I'll pass it on to my reverend friend.
  • Please note the foundation stones on the left (from my last church's 1900 extension): http://tiny.cc/1n64bz
  • What a wonderful place this Ship is for sharing knowledge! You can drop in here and never leave empty handed.
  • LHC ? (KarlB in Brexit threat Sept 2)
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    In context, the Large Hadron Collider, I think.