AS: Canada; the first year of the next 50

1235»

Comments

  • First snow accumulation of the year overnight. I think our Monday golf will be cancelled this week.
  • First snow accumulation of the year overnight. I think our Monday golf will be cancelled this week.

    Is it time for you to be heading south?

  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    We had a fair bit of freezing rain last night, but by this morning it was almost all gone and it's currently 5° and a bit wet.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    First snow accumulation of the year overnight. I think our Monday golf will be cancelled this week.

    Is it time for you to be heading south?

    Next week. :smile:
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    First snow accumulation of the year overnight. I think our Monday golf will be cancelled this week.

    Is it time for you to be heading south?

    Next week. :smile:

    Shipmeet time!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Safe travels, Sharkshooter!
  • I am picking up dirt-cheap pumpkins this week as, cooked & mushed & frozen, they will fill soup cauldrons for many a long winter afternoon.
  • A Feminine ForceA Feminine Force Shipmate
    edited November 2018
    Pumpkin soup is SO GOOD all winter. That's such a good idea. My freezer is a joke though ...

    AFF
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    @Caissa, I should have asked before - did you lose your electricity at the weekend?
  • Well; the winter tyres are on the car, the snowblower is back from being overhauled, I have a new pair of boots and lots of woolly socks. And now the rain has washed the snow away. It must almost be Christmas in southern Ontario.
  • Pouring rain here in Anne's Land too. I did some strategic shovelling yesterday so that the rain would do its work on the path on the deck. Have awakened to find everything nicely going according to plan. Deck is practically clear. At least, Stercus Tauri, you are ahead of the game for January. Am thinking that I shall brave the farmer's market this morning but will be there as it opens in order to avoid those who stroll and chat as they shop. A very low key sad Christmas this year as poor health and loss have taken quite a toll on the emotions. I feel like we need a matching program for those who have too much time on their hands to be matched with those with delightful small children who need stories read to them and block towers built and so forth. It would do a world of good for both sides, I am sure.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Much of our snow has gone now too, and it's currently 12° - as D. said, if it carries on like this we'll have to cut the grass!

    I confess I won't be pining for a white Christmas - we get more than enough snow as far as I'm concerned!
  • Coming up for air from the seasonal job. Merry Christmas one and all.
  • Lily Pad wrote: »
    Pouring rain here in Anne's Land too. I did some strategic shovelling yesterday so that the rain would do its work on the path on the deck. Have awakened to find everything nicely going according to plan. Deck is practically clear. At least, Stercus Tauri, you are ahead of the game for January. Am thinking that I shall brave the farmer's market this morning but will be there as it opens in order to avoid those who stroll and chat as they shop. A very low key sad Christmas this year as poor health and loss have taken quite a toll on the emotions. I feel like we need a matching program for those who have too much time on their hands to be matched with those with delightful small children who need stories read to them and block towers built and so forth. It would do a world of good for both sides, I am sure.

    Sending you hugs from the same emotional place.

    No use pretending things all All Right when they aren't.

    This year a big adjustment since losing both my parents and my daughter last year.

    Adjusting to the New Normal takes time. But I can't help wanting to be where their party is, with them, right now. Nothing drastic, I just miss them so much and never more than today.

    You always read about people like you and me at this time of year, you just never think that will be you.

    I just wish us both, and everyone on the Ship, the Peace that Passes All Understanding and the Life Abundant that this day promises to all.

    Many many hugs.

    AFF

  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    {{{AFF and Lily Pad}}}

    Crikey, that's a lot to take. Holding you both in the Light, as our dear WW would say.
  • Gosh, AFF, that is a lot to bear. My mom died fourteen years ago and my dad remarried and I am thankful for my step-mother. It is only now, three months after my dad's death, that I am realizing that I have lost both parents and they are the ones who knew me the best and held the family stories. I'm not at all prepared to accept a new normal even though I have no choice. Too much emotion, I guess.

    Missing Uncle Pete's contributions here and his connection to Wodders too. This getting old is not for the faint of heart!
  • Lily Pad wrote: »
    Gosh, AFF, that is a lot to bear. My mom died fourteen years ago and my dad remarried and I am thankful for my step-mother. It is only now, three months after my dad's death, that I am realizing that I have lost both parents and they are the ones who knew me the best and held the family stories. I'm not at all prepared to accept a new normal even though I have no choice. Too much emotion, I guess.

    Missing Uncle Pete's contributions here and his connection to Wodders too. This getting old is not for the faint of heart!

    Yes. There is never a good age to be orphaned.

    Now you are the keeper of the family stories.

    Apparently you have still chapters to be written ... I hope that they are good ones. Be well, treat yourself kindly, don't be so strong that people don't feel you need a help or a hug.

    AFF







  • Piglet wrote: »
    {{{AFF and Lily Pad}}}

    Crikey, that's a lot to take. Holding you both in the Light, as our dear WW would say.

    Thank you Piglet.

    All my best to you and your dearest.

    AFF
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Thanks, AFF. My dad died at the beginning of 2018, and while I was aware that at 93 he was "ready to go" (my mum died six years earlier, and I think his life rather lost its meaning after that), I still sometimes think there are things I'd like to be able to ask him, especially about family history, or if the conversation turns to people back home, who he might have known better than we did.

    May all our parents and friends who have been promoted to glory rest in peace
  • Enjoying a bit of family (and Canadian) history for Christmas. I own three family portraits, one is a set of my great-grandfather and great-grandmother taken in 1916 when great-grandpa went overseas. He is in his CEF Uniform. The other is a photo of my great-great-grandfather and grandmother, with by Great-Grandmother, taken in England in 1894. My great-grandfather is wearing his Royal Artillery uniform.

    All have been lovingly conserved and now reside behind glass in shadowboxes, with appropriate new frames. They look gorgeous and are good for another 100 years.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    What a lovely record to have, SPK. It's so frustrating when old photographs turn up and there's no-one left alive who can tell you who the subjects are, but you've obviously got it all sorted out.
  • The best part is that I knew my great-grandmother quite well, she didn't die until the early 1990's. I remember her "in the flesh", as it were, and quite a bit different from the photos, but still,
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Just sneaking in before the 2018 thread is closed to wish all my compatriots a Happy New Year! May your provincial and federal governance be satisfying to you :smiley: and reflect our common goals of peace, order, and good government. And may your weather not suck.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Leaf wrote: »
    ... may your weather not suck.
    Yea and amen to that!

    With that, I think I'll put this thread to bed and open a new one for 2019.

    Happy new year, one and all!

    Piglet, AS host
This discussion has been closed.