AS: Tea and biscuits and GIN, the British thread

Comments

• Yes, and for all who have to go to work, especially NHS peeps...

I recall that driving an ambulance in this sort of weather was (a) not fun, and (b) not that easy....
    :scream:

Some years ago, during a snowy spell, I walked to work, but was picked up some way away from the Ambulance Station by some of my cheerful lady colleagues, who had commandeered a Patient Transport vehicle in order to find strays like me, who (whom?) they knew were footing it.

We decided to offer lifts up the longest and steepest hill in town to any pedestrians who might be struggling, and duly picked up a Shopping Centre security guard, a nurse (going off duty), a postman, and a funeral director employee on his way to collect the hearse and coffin (!).

A cross-section of the population which just could notwork from home.

IJ
  • balaam wrote: »
    Day 3 of snownageddon, and although there have been no flakes falling since mid morning, and nothing like yesterday's can't see across the road blizzard, today is the worst so far. The outlet for the kitchen sink has frozen. It had better thaw soon as we can't use the dishwasher or washing machine either as they empty down the same pipe.

Washing up whilst taking a shower seems to be the order of the day.

(Praying for Ck)

Do you know the various frozen-pipe tricks? keeping the below-sink cabinet's door open, so that the room heat can get in to thaw the pipe. Setting a small electric lamp in there (use an extension cord) so that its heat can gradually thaw the pipe. Something like an electric heating pad would work as well, but don't lay it on anything flammable and keep it on low. Don't attempt to suddenly-thaw the works with anything like a hair dryer; that may crack your piping.
  • Good grief, CK, I hope you're ok.

No snow for a bit, but it's blowing a gale. Definitely keeping everything crossed for anybody travelling.

We had Surprise Pudding for tea: whatever tasty things you have in the cupboard thrown in hot custard. Today's version was sultanas and leftover trifle sponge. Yum.
  • We had Surprise Pudding for tea: whatever tasty things you have in the cupboard thrown in hot custard. Today's version was sultanas and leftover trifle sponge. Yum.
    Not Completely Surprising Pudding, which is made from the contents of tins without labels!
  • JapesJapes Shipmate
    CK - that sounds awful! Hope it all heals well and the travelling to the burns unit goes smoothly.

I'm not at work tomorrow, having been informed I'm not needed, when I went to check! I do live within walking distance, so was expecting to have to work. I'll do some work-related stuff at home, though, as it's a good chance to get some tasks done which need a bit of peace and quiet to get done...

I do need to venture to a pharmacy to collect the new items on the prescriptions, though, which might mean the nearest one, rather than my preferred one!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    CK - that's horrific. Hope you and your daughter are both going to be OK.

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. The funeral went off nicely (apart from the rather bossy lady minister flatly refusing to let me read from the Authorised Version :angry: ). It was hard to judge how many people would be there, but we had a good turnout of friends, colleagues and relations, some of whom I probably hadn't seen for over 40 years!

The flight we should have been on from Edinburgh has been cancelled, so we might get a refund, and we've found a nice, very reasonable hotel that's not too far from Gatwick. Heading off to bed now, as we have to be up at silly o'clock in the morning.
  • I did eventually get to the burns unit in London as Greater Anglia were cancelling trains right, left and centre, so getting to an appointment at the burns unit at Broomfield Hospital was pretty much impossible. (Tube into London, train to Chelmsford, bus to Broomfield, the friend who would have driven me if she could, would not have in the snowy conditions). I did try getting there having cancelled the appointment, then attempting to get treated at the Royal London, where I was told burns unit or nothing. Standing on a freezing platform at Stratford station, face covered in burns face mask and bandages watching the indicator board as trains are all delayed or cancelled is not recommended.

There are only four possible places across the south east to be treated for burns, only two units, the only unit in East Anglia is Broomfield. Apparently when I was in A&E on Wednesday the nurses were asking why I'd been taken there not Broomfield in the first place and were told an accident on the main road there.

I eventually was treated at Chelsea and Westminster burns unit having talked myself in there. My face is one first degree burn, now called a superficial burn, with some areas of second degree burns, now called partial thickness burns, (nose, around my eyes, side of my neck, cheekbones) and a burns pack to deal with them. I was wearing glasses which seem to have protected my eyes. No more nasty mask. I have partial thickness burns across both shoulders, now covered with some padded dressings, and some more superficial burning around those burns. My neighbour is remanded pending court appearance today on ABH/GBH charges and the police will request she continues to be held. (I keep muttering section: she has been sectioned under Mental Health act in the past.)

Having spent several hours on public transport, you get far less staring walking around with a burnt face than a covered up face
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Goodness, CK, that sounds dreadful. Glad you've now had proper treatment.

MMM, used to be M.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    That sounds like living in a nightmare. I hope healing goes without a hitch for you.
  • CK, Dormouse, Piglet - praying for you (')

My lovely neighbours, who I've not seen for weeks, came around just now dressed for skiing to see if I need anything from the shops - I wished I did but I'm munching my way through various stashes (snow is a great excuse!)
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Posted by Bishop's Finger: Some years ago, during a snowy spell, I walked to work, but was picked up some way away from the Ambulance Station by some of my cheerful lady colleagues, who had commandeered a Patient Transport vehicle in order to find strays like me, who (whom?) they knew were footing it.

who (they knew) were footing it

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    CK, just reached your post - how dreadful and we hope you're ok.
  • JapesJapes Shipmate
    Now I've picked up enough supplies of my new prescription items to last until I can get out safely again, I'm staying put!

I live in one of the higher parts of my city in the middle and have taken some good (I hope!) pictures of the snow drifts. The path between the fences by my house has some 5-foot drift, with clear patches, and turning left between other fences through to the next road the path is totally clear! Once I was out of that, the wind nearly blew me over and certainly to a standstill for a moment or so, so I'm really rather glad I've not had to go to work today. I gather all's well there for those who are there, if one or two of the more extroverted students are a little lonely.
  • Darllenwr has dug his way through the snow drifts outside our house. We can now get to the pavement and the road, both of which are fairly clear, because of the way the wind has blown. It's still snowing though, and -3.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    The tree is now down, very sad :unamused: - https://photos.app.goo.gl/E1ybppKqvp09Aaso2
  • ferijenferijen Shipmate
    Poor tree :( And CK, I'm glad you were seen but that does sound terrifying.

The last time it snowed here, give years ago, the junior ferijen was only a few months old. Today we arrange to meet with some of his friends from school for sledging, snowmen, etc.

All I can say is the adults had more fun - the kids whined, whinged, and generally wanted to get home to play in the warm. All of the adults were of the 'but its great fun' variety...

Children, they don't make them like they used to..
  • Some of it is how high the snow is relatively. It's hard work wading through knee high - thigh high snow. And young children's hands really do get so cold so easily.

No next door neighbour for the foreseeable future. Magistrates' Court passed her case on the Crown Court at the end of March, and she's held on remand until then. I suspect by then the landlord may have evicted her as being in contravention of her tenancy agreement, assaulting neighbours not being very neighbourly, and all that.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Do you know the various frozen-pipe tricks? keeping the below-sink cabinet's door open, so that the room heat can get in to thaw the pipe. Setting a small electric lamp in there (use an extension cord) so that its heat can gradually thaw the pipe. Something like an electric heating pad would work as well, but don't lay it on anything flammable and keep it on low. Don't attempt to suddenly-thaw the works with anything like a hair dryer; that may crack your piping.
    Thanks Brenda.
    I have located the ice. It is outside.

The waste pipe from the sink, washing machine and dishwasher run out under the sink to outside, down, then almost horizontal to a drain nearly 10 feet away. It is this horizontal part that has frozen. It has also cracked. At least the plumbing is just replacing a length of plastic pipe with push on fittings, but as the pipe goes under the steps to the back door, heavy stone steps, I will require heavy lifting help.
  • The nice new boiler in our church hall (used by a pre-school Nursery during the week) wasn't working, but showing 'E28' error.

Yes, the condensate pipe was friz right up, so our gallant churchwarden boiled a kettle, applied the H20, and, a few seconds later, Problem Solved!

:smile:

IJ
  • CK, that sounds awful. I hope that you are receiving the correct treatment now and that the aftereffects aren't scarring.

Bitter wind here in Bethnei, which (bizarrely) has blown the snow off our driveway.
  • balaam wrote: »
    The waste pipe from the sink, washing machine and dishwasher run out under the sink to outside, down, then almost horizontal to a drain nearly 10 feet away. It is this horizontal part that has frozen. It has also cracked. At least the plumbing is just replacing a length of plastic pipe with push on fittings, but as the pipe goes under the steps to the back door, heavy stone steps, I will require heavy lifting help.

And it has to run down then across to get under your doorstep, otherwise a steeper slope might be wise. I hope there isn't any weight from your steps resting on the plastic pipe. If there isn't, you might, depending on the geometry, just be able to pull the broken one out endways, and push a new one in.

• CK- I hope you get the best possible care and your neighbour doesn’t get any more similar opportunities.

Here in South Wales we have nearly a foot of sn*w and Sundays meeting must be in some doubt
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Hope everyone is surviving the weather and that you get your plumbing sorted asap Balaam. I was supposed to meet a friend in London this afternoon. I'm sure I could have got there and back, but I didn't fancy the waiting around on cold windy platforms for delayed trains so cried off.
    CK - Hope things heal well and that your neighbour gets the treatment she needs.
  • CK - hope it all heals well, and that she doesn't reappear in your life.

I was one of 2 people in the office today, and the other person had a meeting in the afternoon at another site! Suppose it's the downside of living within walking distance - several of the rest of the team went to sites near where they live, as we need access to the organisation's network to do the job.

Having finally got back onboard, I now need to figure out little things like an avatar, and where/how to find the smilies. Time to go look about properly!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    I like your avatar @Celtic Knotweed where is it?
  • Celtic KnotweedCeltic Knotweed Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Thanks @Boogie. It's a picture of Scafell Pike taken many years ago by Sandemaniac on one of our regular holidays up that way. The file got saved as 'Holidays in Mordor', after a comment by one of his colleagues at the time about the barrenness of it all!

[edited as I still cannot spell...]
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I hope you don’t mind @Celtic Knotweed - I’ve just used you as a guinea pig trying out using PMs :relieved:
  • Boogie, sorry to hear about your poor rowan tree (I hate it when trees die, or get blown down, or have to be removed - perhaps I have Ents as distant ancestors).

However, might it be feasible to replace the old tree with a fairly well-grown new one? They seem to cost a fair bit (around £150), but I daresay a session with Google might come up with some better bargains!

IJ
  • BF, our church hall boiler did the exact same thing and had to be thawed out several times - not by the gallant churchwarden (ie. me!) but by various other adept and deserving volunteers. It's now lagged 'as if you never want to see it again', to quote the wife of one of the above.

However it was only one of many boilers abandoning themselves to the cold - the church FB page has a long list of people telling each other how to carry out this most essential repair :wink: I really hope that tonight's rising temperature carries on rising, however slowly - I'm so fed up with all the things that have had to be cancelled, especially tonight's charity curry night :mad:

CK - adding my thoughts and best wishes

Mrs. S, wishing it could be spring NOW, please!
  • Yes, we thought of lagging the pipe, but it's where it goes into the drain that seems the most vulnerable point. Still, the sub-zero temperatures of the past few days are very unusual in these parts, so perhaps lagging as far as we can will at least help.

The Interesting Weather caused us to cancel a local churches' Prayer Vigil, due to be held in Our Place this afternoon, but we can always re-time it for summer (said he, hopefully).

IJ
    We've now made it as far as Toronto, where the weather's better than it was in London. Hope they haven't had too much snow in Freddy while we've been away!
  • Deep joy: the flat roof over part of the old kitchen has managed to produce yet another leak - something it has done over the past 20 years despite being re-roofed no less than FOUR times - and there is a steady drip coming through one of the light fittings.

I'm about to try to work out the rate at which the bucket is filling to see if I need to wake in the middle of the night to empty same. And of course, both children are out overnight leaving it all to the aged parent.
  • That's a pain, TheOrganist. Can't you surround the buckets with an old towel to catch any overflow?

Last time I looked out of the window, about 10 minutes ago, we had snow flurries sweeping past. That's four days of snow falling and lying in this area in late February / March. It's not unusual to get a snow day in late January, and the winter of 2012-13 we had snow on and off from November to March - a day or two here and there, but not like this.
  • At the moment its producing 2 litres every 35 minutes so not really possible to stem the tide with towels. I've worked out I can sleep in roughly 3 hour bursts (max) so have set alarms accordingly.

Thank goodness we moved the kitchen proper so its is now a sort of garden-room/snug but even so :tired_face:
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    Yesterday evening we had a meal for a friend's birthday at a very swish restaurant. I walked there in smart clothes underneath wellies and cold weather gear. I took an evening bag and shoes in a plastic bag. The staff were great and let me change in a back room before I entered the dining room. Though they did appear to find my get-up somewhat amusing...
  • CK, that must have been terrifying! I hope you recover quickly and fully.
  • Ck, sounds truly dreadful. Hope you have got some proper treatment now
    And your neighbour, she sounds really disturbed.
    I've changed my name, got fed up with Nicodemia
    Felt Thomasina more accurately described me. Haven't managed to sort avatar out yet! The snow seems to have frozen my brain. Along witheverything else. :(
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Thomasina said -
    I've changed my name, got fed up with Nicodemia
    Felt Thomasina more accurately described me. Haven't managed to sort avatar out yet!

I like your new name and your avatar just as it is :mrgreen:
  • LRPLRP Shipmate
    Prayers for all.
    CK that sounds awful. Could they not organise transport for you.
  • |Hope everyone got home OK. CK thinking of you. Suffolk got some of the worst of teh weather. Don't know the state of our old house in Ipswich. Hope your neighbour gets medicated - difficult that one.
    Piglet, glad you are on your way home now. Safe journey.
    Here up the hill in Cardiff, I had drifts 3 feet high in the garden. The wind blew snow into our eves and now we have melting snow dripping through a bedroom ceiling and can't get into the cavity to mop it. Is Noah around?
    I think some Welsh cakes, Welsh brew might help but I'm inclined to go for teh Cardiff Gin
    or a lovely glass of Scottish whisky or maybe Penderyn matured in Madiera casks.
    Cheers everyone.
  • Welsh CAKES, along with GIN or WHISKY sounds just the thing!

I believe Noah is otherwise engaged, so hopefully your Annoying Leak will soon subside.

I recall the same thing happening at a previous Episcopal abode, when I climbed up a ladder into the loft in order to scoop up the sn*w in a bucket. Needless to say, I then fell out of the loft, spilling the sooty, dusty sn*w all over the newly-laid stair carpet....

The then-Mrs BF proceeded to learn some Interesting New Words.

IJ
  • There are drippy noises in our little bit of South Wales as the temperature is above freezing. Services in our parish and some neighbouring parishes have been cancelled for this week as there's still an awful amount of snow about, and we have a number of elderly parishioners.
    There are lots of snowed up street pictures on f/b, and sadly, a few examples of the "I spent hours clearing the street and no-one helped me" type rants.
  • BF poor you. Hope you could clean up the carpet OK.
    Took advice, after phoning around friends and hubby has drilled a couple of holes in the ceiling, so now it is dripping into the buckets underneath. So don't need the ark.
    Still want my Welsh cakes and gin/whisky though!
  • Just found my new avatar! Yep! That's me!!!

• Some of it is how high the snow is relatively. It's hard work wading through knee high - thigh high snow. And young children's hands really do get so cold so easily.

No next door neighbour for the foreseeable future. Magistrates' Court passed her case on the Crown Court at the end of March, and she's held on remand until then. I suspect by then the landlord may have evicted her as being in contravention of her tenancy agreement, assaulting neighbours not being very neighbourly, and all that.

At least you will be able to relax and heal without the constant worry of wondering what will happen next. And she will be out of harms way and )hopefully) get meds sorted out and taken properly again.

Hope you heal well and free from scarring.
  • LRPLRP Shipmate
    Welsh cakes and Red wine here.
    We have a frozen pipe from sink so no washing or washing up.
    It was fun trying the best way to wash up in bathroom l recommend bowl in bath and kneeling down not resting bowl on toilet and standing up hurts your back. Any advice or suggestions.
  • AmyAmy Shipmate
    On a train. Currently 29 minutes late. I hope it slows down a bit… at 30 minutes, I get delay repay!
    Got home safely at about 1 o'clock this morning to find a few inches of sort of frozen-ish snow on the drive and path, which seems to be thawing a bit today. Went straight to bed and slept for the best part of 12 hours. Have done absolutely bugger-all today, which may have done me some good. I'm still coughing more than I'd like (especially as I've got a solo to sing at Evensong tomorrow), but am definitely on the mend.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Glad you are home safe and on the mend Piglet.

It can’t decide whether to rain, sleet or snow here. I need rain to clear the snowdrifts as my blind friend and her Guide Dog are coming to stay with us on Wednesday and the pavements will be impossible for them to navigate at the moment :hushed:
  • Yes, thank heavens you and D are home in one piece, Piglet! I bet you didn't expect us to lay on winter especially to make you feel at home, did you?

Mrs. S, who has just cleared her drive
This discussion has been closed.