AS: Tea and biscuits and GIN, the British thread

Comments

• Glad you're on the mend Piglet.

Amy - I was on a very delayed train not that long ago where the refunds kicked in at 60 minutes. It will not surprise you to hear that the tardiest arrival at a station was 59 minutes late. Several passengers in the carriage I was in started checking terms and conditions at one point and taking note. (Faulty train at Kings Cross).
  • I suspect piglet is made of Stern Stuff, and has Seen Worse at home in Canada, let alone in Scotland!

Still, it's good to hear that she's safely back home in Freddy.

IJ
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    It was so kind of you, Mrs. S. ... :grimace:

The porcine voice seems to have survived the morning service not too badly - I even managed a descant (sort of) - but my lungs are protesting something awful. I'm hoping the solo will be OK this afternoon - it starts on a very low note, which is usually a good thing in such circumstances. As long as I can catch a decent breath in between phrases I should be all right.

We had a bass in the choir in Belfast who regularly (and beautifully) sang solos, and also smoked like a train; you could always tell when he was about to sing a solo, as there would be a volley of coughs from the back row. :grin:
  • I expect the baccy helped, but is it worth risking your Life for your Art?

Hope Evensong goes well, though. I'll catch up with BBC's broadcast of our Ukland service a little later....

IJ
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Glad you got back home in piece Piglet. I hope the voice held out for Evensong and you can then have a restful day or two recuperating.
    We are back from the big 90th birthday celebrations for my mother. After the event we all went to my brothers. Mum lives on the outskirts of South-East London, brother is in a small Hertfordshire town. He and his family drove there with mum and in best Top Gear style husband son and I tried to beat them by using public transport. After lots of running down station platforms and up escalators we reckoned we were in the lead when we got to Euston, where our record attempt came unstuck. It seemed most trains were either delayed or cancelled, and we thought we might have to abandon the idea of getting there at all. Finally managed to get a train and arrived over an hour later than we'd hoped. I think we would have beaten them otherwise.
    Sarasa wrote: »
    ... in best Top Gear style husband son and I tried to beat them by using public transport ...
    And in best Captain Slow style, did you say "oh cock!" when you arrived and they were already there? :mrgreen: Glad to hear it went off well!

Anthem safely dispatched with solo piglet (I was pleasantly surprised at how decent it sounded, and D. was pleased), but I'm feeling moderately knackered, and now vegging out on the sofa waiting for the bread-machine to do its thing.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    I have a whole house to clean. My blind friend is coming to visit for the week and we can’t have it messy for visitors, can we? :lol: :tongue:
  • Grump: I would like to be cleaning - but can't use spray cleaners or produce dust clouds currently. I know that many would like an excuse for sitting around doing not much, but I'm finding it more frustrating than anything. (I walked up to town, carrying four big carrier bags of books, two at a time, to the charity shop yesterday. It didn't take long to realise I shouldn't have.)

Oh well, Future Learn courses to do.
  • CK, do be careful, after your horrid experience. Doctors' orders, and all that!

Dust increases exponentially according to the length of time spent not dusting (I know whereof I speak - I live with a solid-fuel Rayburn), but dust can (with prayer, fasting, and WHISKY or GIN) become invisible.

IJ
  • CK, do be careful, after your horrid experience. Doctors' orders, and all that!

Dust increases exponentially according to the length of time spent not dusting (I know whereof I speak - I live with a solid-fuel Rayburn), but dust can (with prayer, fasting, and WHISKY or GIN) become invisible.

IJ

I find that removing my eyeglasses makes my house look much cleaner. :wink:
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    If I hear of anyone going in for cataract surgery, I warn them to do a spring cleaning before the surgery because, if they don't, once they get out they will want to and won't be able to. :)
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    As today it was possible to move more than three feet from a radiator without dying, I changed the sheets and towels, cleaned the kitchen and bathroom and tidied the box I tidy things to.
  • O, that wonderful Box! In the Episcopal Palace, it is known as The Bin...

:smirk:

IJ
    Lily Pad wrote: »
    If I hear of anyone going in for cataract surgery, I warn them to do a spring cleaning before the surgery because, if they don't, once they get out they will want to and won't be able to. :)

When my m-i-l got home after her first cataract op., her first words were "goodness, I must clean those curtains!"

The château gets dusted when we have visitors, or very occasionally, if I think it's getting beyond a joke. I don't think D. knows where the dusters live. :mrgreen:
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Mr F didn’t know how the vacuum cleaner worked (plug it in, switch it on, point the nozzle at things) nor yet where it lives. On being told, he still managed to put it in the wrong cupboard.
  • Waiting for visitors to come before you start cleaning** is the only thing that makes me feel young these days! we had a cleaner for years *sigh*

(**oh, and the same holds for house viewings!)

I'll say that for Mr. S, he is more likely than I am to say that the place needs a good clean, and to clean it - and he is more thorough than I (except for skirting boards and behind furniture) If I go to see the Dowager, it takes me all day, and as like as not he cleans the house top to bottom while I'm out :heart:

The Grateful Mrs. S
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Mr Boogs does all the shopping and cooking, I do all the washing up, cleaning and laundry.

The house is now a newer pin than it has been for months - hurrah, thank you visitor, even if you can’t appreciate it, your Guide Dog can. :mrgreen:

Her dog will enjoy the rest. My friend has been leading a huge conference in Manchester to do with her work (she’s a big cheese) and the 300 darn delegates haven’t given her dog a minutes peace, they all want to give her a fuss.

Lots of long walks, followed by nice meals, GIN for the humans and fish cubes for the dogs coming up.

• CattyishCattyish Shipmate Posts: 20
    So sorry to hear about this CK. May you get all the help that's helpful.
    Cattyish
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Hello everyone.

I boarded a few days ago but there have been big and unexpected goings on in the rouge family...

So - my son was in a hurry to see what the big wide world is like and decided he didn't wanted to wait until full term. The doctors don't really know why but think it might have been because of an infection. Consequently he was born early last week by emergency caesarian, a good three months premature. He's now in a incubator and going to be staying there for quite some time. The good news is that he is in one of the best neonatal units in Europe and THANK GOD the French taxpayer is paying for the whole thing. He's now stabilised and doing pretty well. He was born weighing 780 grams (I think that's about 1 lb 6 oz for those who want old British money), which is obviously very small, but on the other hand really quite big for his term. The medics seem to find him genuinely quite surprising. He lost weight last week, as newborn babies always do, but has starting putting it back on now. He's a little fighter and we're feeling quite optimistic.

I hated the maternity ward very much (they might be getting a rude letter at some point about all the dysfunctionments in their service, which sucks like a Dyson*) but I'm now back home, and feeling much better and happier. I'm going rather slow, which is odd and frustrating to me, but well on the mend.

* my arrival announced what is was going to be like. I got there on transfer from another hospital where the caesarian was done, on a day when it was minus five degrees. I was wearing nothing but a surgical gown and it took them a good fifteen minutes just to find me a blanket. It apparently was the only blanket they had. It didn't get better. Also the food was the most inedible thing I have ever seen (not that I have eaten, because I didn't).
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Wow! Welcome to the world baby rouge! What a time you have had! I hope things continue to improve day by day. All the best!
  • O what a surprise! But thank God indeed that rouge fils et mere are both OK. May he indeed grow and prosper.

Does he have a name yet?

:smiley:

IJ
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Oh my word! Congratulations to you and welcome to baby rouge!

May he grow from strength to strength xx
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    Congratulations and best wishes to Mum and baby rouge.
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    Blimey, La vie en rouge!
    Stressful times.
    Many congratulations and may you all flourish.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Congratulations La Vie en Rouge. I hope you're recovering and that baby is thriving (my, he is tiny!)
  • Ah, but think of all that lovely French cuisine he will soon be enjoying!

BTW, la vie en rouge, are you now permitted to eat CHEESE again?

:mrgreen:

IJ
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Welcome to the world Bebe en rouge and so glad he and you are doing well.
  • Best wishes to Le Famille Rouge; all three of you!
  • CattyishCattyish Shipmate Posts: 20
    Ah, the neonatal unit. Place of tiny people. I know people who I met when they weighed under a kilo, and some of them are quite tall now.
    O my goodness! Huge congratulations, La Vie and M. en rouge, and welcome aboard to Baby en rouge - may he continue to thrive! I thought I was a small baby (I believe I was about three and a half pounds).

Look after yourselves, and as BF suggested, lots of nice French food to keep your strength up! :smile:
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Ah, but think of all that lovely French cuisine he will soon be enjoying!

BTW, la vie en rouge, are you now permitted to eat CHEESE again?

:mrgreen:

IJ

One of the few advantages of the situation is the reappearance in my life of Roquefort :wink:
  • Wow, LVER ! Congratulations to you and husband en rouge and welcome to the wee lad.
  • Congratulations to you all. Prayers to for you all. So glad to see you say that he is gaining weight.
  • JapesJapes Shipmate
    Congratulations and many prayers for La Famille Rouge.
  • Welcome to the world, mini-LVER!
  • Congratulations to Les Rouges!
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Congratulations to the en rouge family.

We had a thaw, water is flowing from the sink again, so yesterday evening LRP got the washing machine, and as the washing up is no longer taking up the bath I was able to have a good soak in bubbles. I no longer feel stinky.

• Some nice Virtual Roquefort is now on its way to chez en rouge...

:yum:

IJ
  • Yay for babies, baths, and cheese!
  • Congratulations indeed, and welcome to the small red one. You of course have our prayers for his continued flourishing.

It is traditional for people from far and wide to give new mums unsolicited advice, much of it of dubious provenance or value. I see no reason to break with tradition, so here is my advice:

Take it easy. Having a baby is a big deal. Don't overdo things and make yourself sick (no, really, don't do that.)
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Congratulations to all the Rouge family - the Redpersons perhaps? Goes with the excellent wines from our Redman's winery and I'll open a bottle with dinner this evening to celebrate from afar.
  • Congratulations LVER and Monsieur! Our three were all occupants of the neonatal unit, and now at 36 and twins 30 with children of their own we give thanks for the expertise of the medical and nursing staff. I pray that bebe en rouge continues to flourish.
  • Congratulations la vie en rouge and best wishes for dealing with the future challenges for you and the bébé.
  • Many many congratulations to all la famille en rouge!
  • Congratulations, and much strength to you all
  • Congratulations to La Vie en Rouge, and to baby Rouge. So pleased all is going well, and may the little one continue to put on weight and soon be home with Maman et Papa.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Prayers and congratulations from here as well.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Congratulations to la famille en rouge.
    I concur with LVER's "THANK GOD the French tax payer" who pays for medical assistance. With my cancer treatments I too am on a 100% paid for regime for which I am enormously grateful! My first chemo session (on 22nd Feb) went well, with no side effects save a lost weekend, when I slept for the majority of the time, and a slightly gippy tummy, which hasn't really settled down yet.
    I had been advised against travelling to the UK a week after the chemo by my designated nurse,(we had tickets booked for Bill Bailey & Elbow) but, when asked, both the consultant oncologist AND the consultant chemotherapist gallically shrugged their shoulders and said "Why not?" So I went. And it was magnificent. And as soon as I have worked out how to do a link, I will link you to my blog post about it so that, should you wish to, you may read about it in more detail.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    I've found out. And practised. So hopefully...here is the link to my blog post
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I wonder how your weekend had gone Dormouse, or even if you'd got there at all. Sounds from reading your blog that you had a fab time. I'd imagine that you won't be doing a great deal for the rest of this week.
This discussion has been closed.