AS: Tea and biscuits and GIN, the British thread

Comments

• Congratulations LVER!
    And thank goodness that your, and Dormouse, don't have to pay medical bills!
  • SmudgieSmudgie Shipmate
    Very excited to hear about the arrival of le petit chez rouge - may the little one go from strength to strength.

I am just travelling home after an induction afternoon for the new job I will be starting after the Easter holidays. It's all very exciting. I am currently working part time after an injury at work and so, with a few days off for treatment on my Achilles tendon, I have calculated that I have only 36 working hours left as a teacher.

I am happily trading the long holidays for the fact I will be able to have a cup of coffee whenever I choose.
  • It's good to know that it's not only Ukland that has a good health service, but Frogland as well (yes, I realise LVER was not overly-impressed with parts of her experience......).

My sister-in-law's Professor Dad (in his 80s at the time) had one of his Funny Turns (hypotension) whilst we were on a family holiday some years ago, in remote countryside somewhere between Angouleme and Bordeaux.

An emergency ambulance was called (the three-man crew were also trained pompiers or firemen, IIRC, so if you were on fire, they'd put you out, and if you were ill, they'd make you better), and Professor Dad was taken off to the nearest A & E, about 30 miles away.

Quickly booked in - 25 euros up front - a couple of days + one night in the hospital, all the tests, etc., one could desire, evening-primrose oil treatment, charming young nurses (according to Professor Dad), and the whole bill (reclaimable from the NHS) was just 75 Euros.

Professor Dad was most impressed (though every experience, good or bad, was to him a learning experience). Vive la France! Vive la Republique!

:grin:

IJ
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Yeah for proper health services both in the UK and France.
    Smudgie exciting about your new job - though I hope not too much travelling. When I was in my last few days before retiring I was counting the hours too.
  • ferijenferijen Shipmate
    A late bienvenue to Le Petit Rouge. Tough times for you all, LVER. Hope you manage to look after yourself in amongst all of it. Bring on the Roquefort.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    IME it’s important to keep living your life during cancer treatment, even if it is an effort. Wise doctors appreciate the effect on morale.

A long life and a lucky one to the infant rouge. My BF’s first grandchild was a preemie and I have a lot of first hand reports on his life to date. Not an easy start, but at rising 4 in a respectable percentile physically and Skypes granny with perfect ease.
  • Congratulations LVeR. Yes, a little chap but they can put on weight fast. The "biggest" of our two came in at 2kg and he's now just on 5'11" and fit as a flea.

While the little one is in hospital take the chance to build up your strength - and go out while you don't need a babysitter.
  • Discovered this thread an hour or so ago, so have been working my way through it. All very interesting.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    That sounds like a lovely weekend, Dormouse, but Sarasa's right - you ought to take it easy for a while.

I have a feeling that the flu bug I caught when I was in Scotland hasn't gone as far away as I'd like - I've been very tired and a bit achy again today, and I'm still coughing like an engine. Oh well - they're forecasting more snow than we need for tomorrow, so it might be a bit of a non-day anyway. :angry:
  • A good excuse to stay indoors in the warm, and to drink GIN (for medicinal purposes, you understand).

:flushed:

IJ
    Quite! :grin:
  • Hopefully, the GIN will be efficacious, and the Dreaded Lurgy (for that is what it appears to be, though IANAD) soon bu**ers off.

CAKE is also well-known for its sovereign healing properties.

IJ
  • Jane RJane R Shipmate
    Congratulations, La Vie en Rouge, and welcome to Fils en Rouge.
  • Hopefully, the GIN will be efficacious, and the Dreaded Lurgy (for that is what it appears to be, though IANAD) soon bu**ers off.

CAKE is also well-known for its sovereign healing properties.

IJ

I find a good curry scares off many bugs. They don't like it up'em.
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    if we're celebrating Health Services, I'll put in a good word for the Dutch

On holiday in Holland last year with in-laws, FIL came off a bike, hurt his arm

After a few hours of "not feeling any better" ness he suspected that he might have broken something

he went to the reception of the campsite to enquire about hospitals etc. They called the local paramedic who came very quickly, and recommended FIL to go to hospital -but importantly he called the hospital to expect FIL (thereby allowing him access for free with EHIC card as a "covered" patient) whereas if FIL had just turned up to the place on spec he would have been treated as Private and asked to pay (obvs would have claimed it back with travel insurance)

I took him along, we signed in at A+E reception quickly as that they already had his details and were then seen by a triage Dr within 5 minutes. Taken for an X-ray another 5 minutes later. then about 20 mins wait for another Dr who analysed the x rays, (and gave us a copy on CD) and got a nurse to bandage him all up (no need for plaster cast)

all in all, in and out within 90 minutes, and all for free (the hospital even validated my parking ticket from the next door multi-story)
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Yes, the parking is another thing - at the Hospital in Roanne it is free (with a validated ticket) for anyone attending a consultation, free for an hour's visitor, and then a smallish amount thereafter. I admit it may be different elsewhere, but with stories of over £3 for 30 minutes in many NHS hospitals we are very grateful for this too!
    As a Brit Abroad™, the best thing I can say for the Canadian healthcare system is that it isn't the American one. While hospital treatment is covered, anything you need after you leave isn't, and you really need private or employer's insurance to cover a lot of things, including prescriptions, which are horrendously expensive if you haven't got cover. As for chronic needs like diabetic medication, I'm just hoping I never need them.
  • john holdingjohn holding Ecclesiantics Host, Mystery Worshipper Host
    Piglet - just move to Ontario and put on a few years. Apart from a very small deductible (one for the whole year and all drugs), I pay nothing for any of my medication -- including a statin, my diabetes stuff, anti-asthma puffer and thyroid. Not perfect, I grant you, but could be much worse.

John
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    We have a generic drug program that makes all drugs on the formularly come out at $19.95 and another one that pays for all drugs after a once a year payment of a percentage of income.
  • On my 60th birthday about ahem years ago now, I went to the pharmacy to collect my usual cocktail of Interesting Substances, and was delighted to be told, 'O, My Lord Bishop, you don't need to pay anything from today!'.

I'd forgotten that, so it was a welcome birthday surprise.

<candle> for those who don't have free (or even affordable) health care.

IJ
  • Really good news that you got out to your planned trips, Dormouse. And that your health care is being covered.

I went to Guides last night and am really glad I did on a couple of counts - keeping doing normal things feels more psychologically positive than sitting at home quivering and also the rumour mill has started grinding; being present to answer questions is likely to have strangled some of the more exotic flights of fancy at birth. Because by then, after a week of treatment, the girls didn't notice: my face looked like I had a nasty case of sunburn with some sore peeling patches. Lots of not so good stuff hidden under the collar, shoulders, and etc, of the uniform polo shirt, but what the eye doesn't see ... But I was so tired afterwards and realised that signing myself off sick for a couple of weeks wasn't so stupid. (I had to phone the GP to request a sick note.)

Today's outing was back to the burns unit for checking and treatment. Some of the dressings on my shoulders have come off, leaving some bright red patches. More to come off next week, hopefully. My face has healed enough that I no longer have to wash it with hibiscrub three or four times a day then coat the open burns with vaseline.

I am going to have to cultivate an interesting style this summer. None of the burns are supposed to see the sun for at least a year so I am trying to plan and source a suitable wardrobe. I suspect I will be wearing short sleeved shirts, floppy hats and the shortest possible shorts that are decent, as my legs are fine. Sunglasses are no help as they don't cover my nose.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Good to see that you are making what seems to be a rapid recovery after that dreadful attack.
    That certainly sounds like good progress, CK - here's to a swift and complete recovery!
  • CK, think carefully when you go outside and stick to the no sun. I was badly burnt some years ago with boiling oil on my lower legs. And one wrist. Even a year later, the skin was very sensitive to sunlight and going out in sunshine made it very painful. I also learnt to have no baths, just lukewarm showers. Not to sit near heater in winter etc.

Good to hear of the healing which has already taken place.
  • CK, glad to hear that things are improving
  • CK

Add interesting scarves to your outfit. It means that having a few clothes can be changed to look slightly different easily and that you can actually cover up areas of your neck and shoulders.

Jengie
    I'm beginning to wonder if the Almighty has it in for our choir. Having had to cancel two rehearsals because we were away, D. had to cancel tonight as well, because of this ******* sn*w, and the fact that the power at the Cathedral was coming and going. As a few of our members live quite a way out in the country (and it's not looking great even where we are), it was probably the wisest decision, but it's a pain.

It did, however, leave me with some free time, which has resulted in the manufacture of raisin CAKE.

It should be cooled down by the time you read this - do help yourselves. :smile:
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Raisin CAKE sounds good, Piglet, but I tried that once: The fruit sank. What is the secret?

I should be in bed, but the Arthritic foot is having one of its aches, so I'm posting while the painkillers kick in. Pain level is currently somewhere between stubbed toe and standing on a Lego®.
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited March 2018
    Balaam, down herethe general advice with fruit like raisins/ sultanas etc is to dust them with flour lightly before adding to cake batter.
    Loth's right. I soak the raisins in Pimm's No. 1 for a day or two before making the cake, add the liquid to the mix and sprinkle the raisins with flour before adding them to the cake mixture.
  • CK, pleased to hear you are "doing things" and healing. Not surprised you feel tired as your body's own repair mechanism is working overtime. A lot of people are with you on this.
  • amberlightamberlight Shipmate Posts: 9
    Adding congrats for the new arrival LVER , and good to hear of a gradual return to life after the awful situation, CK.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    What a crazy week, I’m quite exhausted!

My friend and her Guide Dog have been staying and she wanted lots of long country walks, so I have been her guide while the dogs ran and played. Great fun, but very tiring looking out for every bump, lump, stone and step - these dogs are amazing, it takes huge concentration.

Keir has loved having her here and has learned a lot from following her today in the garden centre and airport. I saw the ‘finished product’ at work and became quite tearfully emotional.
    Sounds lovely, Boogie! Hard work but worth it.
  • shamwarishamwari Shipmate Posts: 35
    Lily Pad wrote: »
    Sounds lovely, Boogie! Hard work but worth it.

worth it yes. but at what cost?

• Quite a lot in time and commitment, I'm sure, but I doubt if those involved in training Assistance Dogs (of whatever sort) ever actually worry too much about that.

For which God (who created Intelligent Animals) be praised .

:smile:

IJ
    That too. I was more thinking of the work to host someone at her house and look out for her but yes.
  • Well, that's how I took your remark, too.
    :confused:

IJ
    I'm in awe of assistance dogs - so intelligent and gentle -
    and of the humans who help them learn their craft.

The sn*w eased off today, so apart from having to dig our way out of the drive (the plough came past at just the wrong time) we had a fairly uneventful day, with quite a decent audience at D's recital.

There's a batch of French sticks doing its thing at the moment, and some Tiptree® jam in the larder, so do help yourselves.
  • Thanks! Pass the BUTTER, please....

:grin:

IJ
  • Having enjoyed the virtual bread, butter, and jam, I now report that my new SoF mug has safely arrived today!

I shall christen it at tea-time with some nice SOUP, I think.

:joy:

IJ
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Soup in a mug?

Hmmmm, no. You need a nice cappuccino in there :smile:
  • Oh, good, glad the mug has arrived. That was posted on Wednesday, along with a couple of others.

I went with a work colleague to the Sam Wanamaker Theatre last night to see the Gyre and Gimble re-imagining of the Four Seasons which I would describe as odd. I bought the tickets ages ago to go with my daughter, who we haven't been able to stabilise enough for tube travel and shows, yet. I was in the pit which tends to be a good place to see the action, but wasn't so great for this production. The puppetry was amazing and there were things I loved, but I suspect I would have got more from it if I'd had a programme, (I rolled in just before the performance, having been delayed - someone hit by a train at Mile End and part suspending the Central Line.)

Today I am not doing much and glad I turned down a day's work yesterday.
  • Thanks, CK.

Alas, the Mug cannot yet be christened, as the Palace Larder turned out to be temporarily devoid of SOUP.
    :cry:

A cappuccino would be a good idea, if I liked any other form of coffee than double espresso! A mug that size filled with double espresso (aka rocket fuel) would probably have me hospitalised, once they'd peeled me off the ceiling and/or walls....
    :flushed:

IJ
    edited March 2018
    I made celery SOUP the other day, and D. was so taken with it that I'll probably be making it again - virtual portions will be available via the usual channels. :)

I'm currently making lamb stock; we have a boneless lamb joint which I'm going to do in the slow-cooker, and as there was a little bag of lamb bones in the freezer I decided I'd do proper stock.

If I sear it and set it going on a low setting before I go to bed, it should be ready for lunch tomorrow.

Memo to self: our clocks go forward tonight. Do not forget! :tired_face:
  • I'm rather partial to cooked celery - what do you add to it (if anything) in order to make the SOUP?
    :yum:

IJ
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited March 2018
    Chicken stock, cream and herbs stirred through just before serving. An onion or two, some salt and pepper and anything else which takes your fancy as working with celery. Pepper and salt and whatever takes your fancy as going with celery. Cook the stock down a bit to conecentrate it.

Sorry if this is not specific enough but that is how I make soup. I use a recipe for baked goods, but rarely for anything else.
    Note: if you use commercial stock, go easy on the salt added. You can always put more in but it is a pain to have to rectify too much.
    I'm more-or-less with you there, Loth, although on this particular occasion I roughly followed a recipe from the old Delia Smith books from the 70s, omitting the celery seeds as I didn't have any. It didn't seem to matter though - it came out very nicely.

I've just remembered that I've got a recipe book called The Soup Bible, which my s-i-l gave me because she says she doesn't like SOUP. I'm not sure she's a fully-paid-up member of the human race. :mrgreen:

BF, I'm going to post the celery SOUP recipe (as I adapted it) upstairs in Heaven - it's really dead easy.

• Thank you, both!
    :yum: :yum:

I shall have to dust off my saucepan....

IJ
  • I found a download of that book. However as autumn is only just peeking around the corner, I have not yet looked at it.
This discussion has been closed.