AS: Tea and biscuits and GIN, the British thread

Comments

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Lots of sun here - very welcome ‘tho not quite ‘sitting out’ weather. I’m skipping Church as my son is home from Germany and we’ll be having an early pub lunch with him before he flies home.

He’s such good company :mrgreen:

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited March 2018
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    I found a download of that book. However as autumn is only just peeking around the corner, I have not yet looked at it.
    Indeed - it's presumably still barbie-and-salad season down your way. I'd save the SOUP for when the weather gets a bit more chilly.*

Boogie wrote: »
    ... I’m skipping Church ...
    Heathen! :mrgreen:

We didn't make too bad a fist of the music this morning, considering that we haven't had a choir practice for three weeks. They're now warning us about more sn*w on Wednesday - it better not last until Thursday, or I'll be one very pissed-off piglet. :rage:

* assuming it does get chilly ... :wink:

• A good few days with our elder daughter home to do “Wedding Shopping”. The venue was sorted out a while back but yesterday the bride, bridesmaids and mother of the bride bought/ ordered their outfits (and told me I will be wearing a blue suit for the first time in my life- I’m glad it’s dark Navy blue not IBM salesman blue).
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    sionisais wrote: »
    A good few days with our elder daughter home to do “Wedding Shopping”. The venue was sorted out a while back but yesterday the bride, bridesmaids and mother of the bride bought/ ordered their outfits (and told me I will be wearing a blue suit for the first time in my life- I’m glad it’s dark Navy blue not IBM salesman blue).

When our eldest daughter was getting married her husband-to-be (an Anglican priest) said he didn't care at all about colours so long as there was NO ****** Chelsea blue in sight as he is an avid Gunners supporter......
  • A couple of lovely slips-of-the-tongue during the prayers at our Family Mass today (Mothering Sunday).

The prayers were led by three of the Beavers, one of whom referred to the family of 'Mary and Josephine', whilst another invited us to respond to the words 'Love, in your mercy....'

A PCC member mischievously remarked afterwards that we ought indeed to realise that marriages come in various modes these days, and the priest reckoned that the second slip-up revealed a deep appreciation of theology on the part of the Young Person.

:lol:

IJ
    Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings ... :grin:
  • The music, and particularly the psalm, went well at mass this morning considering I sang myself hoarse last night at the kind of establishment that gives away free inflatable saxophones with their drinks. A friend, originally from the Rhubarb Triangle now from London commuter belt, brought some of her friends north for a Significant Birthday celebration. A good time was had by all, although it is safe to say some sights were seen that cannot be unseen.
  • Inflatable saxophone:

https://www.musicmotion.com/images/1076_l.jpg

Is, Without Doubt, Outrage!

IJ
  • Yep, something along those lines.
    I suppose it'll be cheaper than the usual sort ... :mrgreen:
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    ... and more musical than the real ones in the hands of some players, :mrgreen:
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Baby en rouge has to have an MRI brain scan today. I'm feeling rather wobbly... :(
  • Is that just a 'routine' MRI, on account of his early arrival?

<votive> for both of you, anyway (and husband en rouge, too).

IJ
    Prayers ascending, La Vie!
  • Jack the LassJack the Lass Shipmate Posts: 15
    I have just started posting today on the new Ship, so realise I am very behind the times on lots of news. In particular, prayers for both CK and for baby, mama and papa en rouge.
    Welcome back aboard, JTL - the tea, biscuits and GIN are in the usual place!
  • Jack the LassJack the Lass Shipmate Posts: 15
    Piglet wrote: »
    Welcome back aboard, JTL - the tea, biscuits and GIN are in the usual place!

Thank you Piglet. I'll pass on the GIN for a couple more weeks, but if you replace it with cheese I'll hardly notice :smiley:
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Hope everything went well with the scan LVER. Don't forget to look after yourself too.
  • {{en Rouge Family}}
  • (Les Rouges)
  • Nice to see you too, Jack the Lass.

Hoping that everything is OK in la maison rouge.
  • Indeed, and also hoping that you too, CK, are continuing to feel better after your recent Horrid Experience.

IJ

Absolutely. There's never a dull moment, is there?

I'm still feeling ridiculously tired - that horrid bug has definitely got a longer shelf-life than I'd like. Having done b*gger-all for most of today, I decided to turn the remains of Sunday's lamb into a curry for tomorrow, and I think the cooking did me good. Whether the curry will or not remains to be seen ... :worried:
  • Foaming DraughtFoaming Draught Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    I understand that there are a few scary things going on in the Old Country just now, but you might like to know what one of our public broadcasters thinks is headline news
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I understand that there are a few scary things going on in the Old Country just now, but you might like to know what one of our public broadcasters thinks is headline news

Absolutely. Rioting in the streets I tell you. They’re having to send in crack battalions of the WI to restore order.
  • I think there was once a heated discussion of this on board. Some time ago.
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    There are places in the UK where the police daren't venture anymore, due to the WI's overwhelming presence.
  • ferijenferijen Shipmate
    Missing the :votive: for la famille rouge
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Prayers indeed for La Famille Rouge.
  • Aaaaaay-men!

ION, I now seem to have overtaken mousethief's post count.

I must get a life (preferably including CHEESE).

IJ
  • Wesley J wrote: »
    There are places in the UK where the police daren't venture anymore, due to the WI's overwhelming presence.
    Knowing that s/he lives in Creamtealand, on the eastern side of the Great Tamar Divide, I think we need to get a Measured View from Chorister.

• The question of Jam First Or Not is such a divisive issue that a Measured View is simply not possible.

Kyfeyth kensa (Jam First), as Mr. Google tells me they say in Cornish...

I'll get me tin-miner's hat on me way out the bal...

IJ
  • I say keep both sides happy by splitting the scone and eat one side in the Cornish manner and one in the Devonian.

Or annoy everyone by just using lemon curd.
    I saw that on Facebook and I have to say it made a pleasant change from all the politics!

We're getting a bit of a storm (presumably sent to us by Trump :rage: ) at the moment, so I did what any civilised piglet would: made SOUP. Carrot and coriander this time; I think it's a bit sweet, so I might add a dash of lemon juice when I heat it up for tomorrow's lunch.

Better make a batch of bread in the morning too.
  • Yes, do add some lemon juice. I quite like carrot and coriander SOUP, but it always seems to be too sweet.

Thanks for the tip, O sagacious piglet!

IJ
  • I say keep both sides happy by splitting the scone and eat one side in the Cornish manner and one in the Devonian.

Golden syrup goes well too!
  • sionisais wrote: »
    I say keep both sides happy by splitting the scone and eat one side in the Cornish manner and one in the Devonian.

Golden syrup goes well too!

I thought thunder and lightening was definitely Cornish but was shocked to find that the search engine produced a result from Devon.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I once had a friend whose tip for scones was split them in three, then you can pile on more of the filling of your choice, whichever way you do that.

It was so nice weather wise here today that we walked across the park to our local open air swimming pool. A three miles walk followed by a thirty minute swin meant we felt justified on catching the bus back to town and going for lunch in our favourite cafe.
  • Actually, golden syrup and clotted cream sounds like a combination dreamed up by the Angels. I feel a trip to Tessie Cohen's little Corner Shop coming on...

:wink:

IJ
    Not quite sure about golden syrup and clotted cream - I think the reason it's so nice with jam is the acidity of the fruit cuts into the richness of the cream, and I'm not sure that syrup would do that. Having said that, I have very fond memories of bread, butter and golden syrup from my youth.

We're still getting this chuffing snow-storm: it's now coming down in quite big flakes, and has been for several hours. D. dug out the Pigletmobile and went in to the Cathedral in the afternoon, and asked me to shovel some of the snow from the drive once he was gone. I did what I could, but the drifts/heaps on either side are almost as tall as I am*, and although there was visible tarmac for a few minutes, it really was coming down faster than I could shovel it up.

I've been coughing like an engine ever since I came back into the house, so I think all I've shifted is the gunk in my chest. :(

I hate snow. :rage:

* i.e. about 5 feet.
  • Ouch. Hope that Chestly Gunk soon shifts away completely!

:cold_sweat:

IJ
    Thanks, BF. :smile:

At least it looks as though the Almighty has, at least temporarily, run out of snowflakes, but after a couple of milder days, the temperature's set to plummet back into minus numbers at the weekend. :(
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Baby en rouge's MRI results are in and they are better than we feared they might be :smiley: It doesn't look like he has any life-altering brain damage (yes, it was that frightening...)

The positive result means the breathing tube can come out of his throat this afternoon and he can go on to a less invasive ventilation system. He now weighs 900 grams. We're all feeling better today.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    A relief to read this, la vie en rouge. Prayers continuing.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    So glad to hear that news LVER. Great that your son is also gaining weight. Hope you and your husband can now relax a little.
  • Deo gratias indeed!

CHEESE will help you feel even betterer.....

Good to hear that fils en rouge is getting biggerer, too.
    :grin:

ION, we too are scheduled to receive a reprise of The Beast From The East this coming Saturday and Sunday, with bitter winds, and sn*w.

I blame Uncle Vlad, who is clearly bent on World Domination by pi**ing us all off.
    :rage:

IJ
  • ferijenferijen Shipmate
    Cheering on the baby en rouge from here...
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Good boy baby en Rouge, onwards and upwards :heart:
  • Baby en rouge's MRI results are in and they are better than we feared they might be :smiley: It doesn't look like he has any life-altering brain damage (yes, it was that frightening...)

The positive result means the breathing tube can come out of his throat this afternoon and he can go on to a less invasive ventilation system. He now weighs 900 grams. We're all feeling better today.

900g is a shade under two pound in old money, which as he's still ten weeks prem isn't bad at all. Prayers continuing.
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    Cheers from here too family Rouge
This discussion has been closed.