AS: Tea and biscuits and GIN, the British thread

Comments

• And here, too, LVER! Sooooooo relieved :heart:
  • Glad to hear that, la vie en rouge.
  • Really pleased to hear that bébé en rouge is doing so well.
  • Isn't it lovely to have some good news, for a change?

:sweat_smile:

IJ
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Absolutely - sending positive thoughts and prayers for baby en rouge.

It appears the Almighty has not in fact run out of sn*wflakes, and now they're talking about another nor'easter next week. I'd normally just blame Trump, but I think BF may be on to something - he's* probably in cahoots with Uncle Vlad.

* Trump that is, not BF. :mrgreen:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    It appears the Almighty has not in fact run out of sn*wflakes, and now they're talking about another nor'easter next week.
    He's apparently saving some for UKland too. However as we are apparently to have a Siberian Chill we might prefer to blame that nice Mr. Putin.

• So lovely to read this, la vie. A red letter day for you and all the en rouge family. Loads of love and encouragement to you all from down here.
  • Yay bebe en rogue!
  • Yay bebe en rogue!

I'm sure he will turn out to be a little rogu-ish! what a
  • Yay bebe en rogue!

I'm sure he will turn out to be a little rogu-ish! what a

How embarrassing - what I intended to post was - 'what a lovely slip of the finger'! when I had my own fat-fingered moment :blush:
  • So glad to hear about fils en rouge.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    I’ve bitten the bullet.

I’m having a go at ‘Couch to 5K’. :shock: I’m on week 2 now and doing far, far better than I expected. The good news being that I lost 2lb last week without changing what I eat at all. I’m being a bit chicken and doing it mainly on the gym treadmill, unless a nice day comes along. I like it. A lovely lady talks encouragingly in your ear all the way with motivational music in between instructions.

So today I did 8 one minute runs with 90 second walks in between and 5 minute ‘warm up’ and ‘cool down’ walks at each end. I haven’t run at all since I was 12 years old, so I’m very pleased with my little self.

:mrgreen:
  • So pleased to hear the news about le bebe rouge , and may he go on getting bigger and bigge!
    Well done, Boogie! :smiley:

You're showing me up for the couch-potato I am. If we ever get rid of the sn*w, I hope to start ambling again, and we've been eating out less* since we got back from Blighty (although we did share a delicious Thai chicken stir-fry in the pub after choir practice last night).

We both like to cook, and surely if we're not too heavy-handed with the cream and butter, home-made food must be better for us**, mustn't it?

* admittedly mostly for fiscal reasons - it was an expensive trip :worried:

** not that it makes any difference to D. - he seems to be able to eat what he likes and not put on an ounce.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Lovely to hear about bébé en rouge. May he keep increasing in weight, development and independent breathing .
    Piglet, I have found Leslie Sansome ( or some such name) a good way to squeeze a little exercise into my day...she, or her disciples, lead you through a mile walk in 15 minutes. It sounds like hard work but actually isn't terrible. The worst thing is the banal commentary! There are several of the video's on YouTube, if you google the name. I've been doing them ( off and on) for a while and find them doable.
  • Not much ambling going on around here at the moment, as The Black Breath Of Putin brings yet another grim day of bitter winds, sn*w, and ice to Our Lady's Dowry. I suspect Uncle Vlad is intending to invade, under cover of the sn*w.....
    :rage:

Still, there's always SOUP. Potato and Leek today, I think.
    :yum:

IJ
  • The Beast from the East flurried through this morning, leaving behind a definite chill. Inspired by Piglet I shall be dusting off a SOUP recipe - I have leeks galore at the moment as they needed harvesting. Just wondering about leek and caraway.
    So much for healthy eating - D. did bacon*, eggs, fried bread and tomatoes for lunch today. :blush:

I've just made a pot of celery SOUP for either tomorrow's or Monday's lunch**, to which I added a pinch or two of crushed anise seeds, and it tastes just fine. As I added some leaves, it's suitably green in celebration of the Irish rugby team's well-deserved success (and on St. Patrick's Day, too). :smile:

* well, what passes for bacon in these parts :cry:

** I find that SOUP always benefits from being eaten at least a day after it's been made.
  • The bizarre weather has struck the Rhubarb Triangle. It was fine, but very windy at about midday. We had a First Reconciliation service at 3pm at church ending with an outdoor prayer to finish. Just a few flakes. By the time we'd had a bun and a cup of tea to celebrate there was several inches of settled snow on the ground!
  • A vile East Wind, along with lightish (but settling/drifting) sn*w here.

I doubt if more than a handful of the Faithful will make it to church tomorrow, in which case our Annual Parochial Church Meeting (C of E Shipmates will understand.....) may have to be postponed. But we shall see - we really need to get it over with, and various issues sorted.
    :grimace:

Mind you, we're not the only ones affected. I see from the news that some homes along the east coast are likely to be swept into the sea by The Black Breath.
    :anguished:

IJ
  • Celery soup also freezes well, just be aware that it will look very unpleasant when first thawed, before it is heated again. It'll go back together and taste just fine as it heats.

AG
  • Put it outside in the wind - it'll soon freeze.....

:unamused:

IJ
  • But just think, Ruislip used to be a sub tropical seaside resort. Close to Heathrow, they could open Northolt to civilian charter flights, you’d never want to go to Benidorm again so it wouldn’t matter what colour your passport is, you wouldn’t need one.
    But just think, Ruislip used to be a sub tropical seaside resort.
    That'll be the climate change that a certain World Leader™ says we aren't getting.

TBH, I've never really wanted to go to Benidorm anyway.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    12" of sn*w here. Still the church website says coffee before the service. Can't be bad.
  • We got 3-4" of snow here too. Nasty cold, bitter wind with the swirling snowflakes for the wander to the walk in centre (for my daughter, not me) yesterday.
  • We cancelled our Parade Service - AGAIN!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Our service went ahead, only eleven people turned up. We were the intrepid few, all had walked there through the snow drifts.

With so few people there I let the pup wander, he settled down and snoozed in front of the altar.

Altar Dog - https://photos.app.goo.gl/qvlogWLjy58giFNp2

:smile:
  • Boogie wrote: »
    With so few people there I let the pup wander, he settled down and snoozed in front of the altar.

Altar Dog - https://photos.app.goo.gl/qvlogWLjy58giFNp2

:smile:

I need our old smiley with the showering hearts!

:heart: :smile: :heart: :smile: :heart:

• 3-6 inches here. Matins congregation slightly down but appreciated the music (Stanford in B flat, Gore Ouseley O Saviour of the world) and that 21 of members of the choir managed to get to church. Sunday School on the other hand was just 2 children instead of the usual 12 or so.
    edited March 2018
    balaam wrote: »
    12" of sn*w here ...
    Crikey - that would even make news over here!

@Boogie - that is one very contented-looking dog! :heart:

We were a bit short-handed for sopranos today, so I got promoted*. We were singing Hassler's Missa secunda, a new introit by Orlando Gibbons** and a motet by a Canadian composer called Eleanor Daley, in none of which I'd sung the soprano part before. Fortunately, they all fell quite nicely on my voice and I really rather enjoyed myself.

* or demoted, depending on one's perspective ... :naughty:

** still busy, despite having been dead for nearly 400 years. :mrgreen: Actually, D. had found a piece purporting to be by Gibbons (although really just snatches of pieces by him that someone had sort of stitched together) whose text would be difficult to fit liturgically, so he set it to a different one.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Delighted to hear about le petit fils rouge, may he continue to thrive.

Wow, well done, Boogie! I haven't run since I was around that age either and would love to think I could do so again one day. Unfortunately I think I'm so heavy at the moment it would do my joints untold damage. :disappointed:

We had what I think would be described as a "significant accumulation" of snow overnight and intrepidly walked to church, which was magical - every twig outlined with white. A lovely coffee with a friend, discussing the Enneagram, and Hell. Walking back, not so nice - a bitter wind.

We're now hunkered down for the day chez Nen with stir fry and wine planned for later. Fortunately I live within walking distance of work and depending on what happens with the weather tonight I may be the only one who makes it in there tomorrow.
  • Just to cheer up all you shivering UK Shipmates, may I remind you to put your clocks one hour forward next Saturday night?

British Summer Time begins on Palm Sunday.....
    :sunglasses:

IJ
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Not too much snow here, but jolly cold. I remembered to wear an extra warm woolly to church. The heating was upgraded a couple of years ago, but you can't really tell.
    I'm now settling in with a jigsaw puzzle and some knitting, though not both at the same time.
  • And snowing again here.
  • Attendance of three for 8 am Communion here (of which one was the vicar :smiley: ) Slightly better at 4 for Morning Prayer at the old church in the middle of nowhere (again, one was the vicar) and a congregation approaching normal levels for us at the 'new' i.e. Victorian) church. No guest preacher, though - he was stuck in the sticks :smile: so we Made Do, as BF would no doubt put it. And no pianist, but the guitar and singers were probably (YMMV!) the best part of the service.

Mrs. S, reasonably relieved (but do see the Prayer thread for what tomorrow will bring!)
  • In this part of the East we have been ignored by the worst of the mini-beast. There are a few flakes of snow on the grass and the temperature is about 1 degree C. Remembering the 10 inches we had last time, I am thankful.
    Praying still for baby en rouge and parents.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    balaam wrote: »
    12" of sn*w here ...
    Crikey - that would even make news over here!

It varied due to drifting. 2.5 feet against our front door. Yet despite this the main roads were clear. The day of the week is important, Sunday 12" roads get cleared. Weekday two and a half weeks ago, 3 to 4" and all roads come to a standstill.

More snow expected, but not as much. However if it falls during tomorrow's rush hour and the snow ploughs can't get out who knows what chaos that would cause.

Drifting and ploughing can both make a heck of a difference; if we get more than a few inches (not uncommon!), the car will be trapped in the drive every time the plough goes past.

Our other issue is storm-doors. Both the front and back doors of the house are protected by storm-doors which open outwards , and if we get a really big dump of snow (or it drifts in the wrong direction) just getting over the threshold can be problematic.

Although the temperature stayed doggedly in minus numbers today (it was -13° when I got up, and didn't get above -4°), it was a beautiful day, with hardly a cloud in the sky.

Temperatures like that aren't going to shift the snow-banks though ...
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    More snow overnight - enough to ensure I'm walking to work. *prepares to don walking boots, multiple layers and Miss Rebecca Hubbard attitude of "It'll take more than a bit of snow to stop me*.

Miss Hubbard is a feisty character in "Postman Pat", a series much beloved of the Nenlets when young, particularly Nenlet2. I shall probably be singing ditties from the TV series all day.

Thinking of Mrs S today. :votive:
  • Thanks Nen :heart:

We loved Postman Pat when the junior S's were young,and now The Intrepid Grandson also loves him - it amazes me, after all, what has a suburban toddler to do with Greendale? But love it he does, bless him :heart:

The Doting Mrs. S
  • Snow on Saturday so because few ventured out on Sunday traffic was light this morning. We got moving early today to clear two/three inches of powdery snow from the car to find ice under that! It has been that cold, and in an area that rarely gets much snow.

• MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Our other issue is storm-doors. Both the front and back doors of the house are protected by storm-doors which open outwards , and if we get a really big dump of snow (or it drifts in the wrong direction) just getting over the threshold can be problematic.

I have the same problem with the door I use most often. Fortunately, I have other doors I can use. When it snows in the daytime, I go out frequently and sweep the snow away from the storm door. If it snows overnight, I use another door.

Moo

We usually try to keep on top of the snow (clearing a bit of the deck and the path now and then before it gets too much), but if we get a really big snowfall overnight it can be ... interesting!

We've now got a Special Weather Statement for "significant" snow (they're not being specific yet) - guess when? Yup, Wednesday night and Thursday.

You'd think the Almighty would realise that Easter's just round the corner and choirs tend to do special things around then ...

:rage: :rage: :rage:
  • Reminds me of the year when we had a sudden blizzard just before the Easter Sunday Eucharist.
    :anguished:

The organist suggested drily that we replace the opening hymn (The Day of Resurrection) with In The Bleak Midwinter.
    :grimace:

IJ
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    What a difference a day makes, despite a little topping up of the sn*w last night our 2.5 foot drift is down to under one foot and the other side of the road is clear. What a month March has been. What weather surprises has the rest of the month got in store?
    The sort of surprise I'd like to see would be a sudden temperature hike to about 15°, and for it to stay there until about the beginning of May. It's then permitted to edge gently up to 20°, where it can stay until early September. :mrgreen:
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Thanks Nen :heart:

We loved Postman Pat when the junior S's were young,and now The Intrepid Grandson also loves him - it amazes me, after all, what has a suburban toddler to do with Greendale? But love it he does, bless him :heart:

The Doting Mrs. S

It was one of the first songs Nenlet2 learned to sing - "Po'm Pa', Po'm Pa', Po'm Pa' niz blackwhy caaaaaa." :heart:

I'm off for a two day work conference today and have woken far too early for fear of oversleeping. :rolleyes:
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    The sort of surprise I'd like to see would be a sudden temperature hike to about 15°, and for it to stay there until about the beginning of May. It's then permitted to edge gently up to 20°, where it can stay until early September. :mrgreen:

And gentle rain between 1-3 am each night, but not at any other time. (20° is a little cool for summer, could we have 25°?)
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate

And gentle rain between 1-3 am each night, but not at any other time. (20° is a little cool for summer, could we have 25°?)

Amen!

This discussion has been closed.