AS: Tea and biscuits and GIN, the British thread

Comments

• Agreed up to a point, but please can the gentle rain be limited to every other night, or perhaps twice a week? The Leaks in the Palace roof will then be less Annoying...

Thank you!
    :grin:

IJ
  • Not sure whether this goes here, TICTH or the Prayer thread but our bathroom is in peril. Well, not that desperately, the Men have been in and disconnected the shower but say the bath is OK so long as we don't double up in there with too much water, but substantial work is needed.

It's at times like this you PTL you rent, like when the boiler dies or needs attention. I have named our boiler "Jack Wilshere" after an England and Arsenal footballer who has spent half his career on the injured list.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    @sionisais you could do with a "Tony Adams" boiler. Solid and reliable, with no chance of it doing anything exciting. (My Arsenal knowledge is clearly out of date.)
  • Yay bebe en rogue!

I'm sure he will turn out to be a little rogu-ish! what a

How embarrassing - what I intended to post was - 'what a lovely slip of the finger'! when I had my own fat-fingered moment :blush:

:)
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I was a bit AWOL yesterday - we had a trip out of town, as D. was accompanying some soloists in a festival in Dieppe, a Francophone town a couple of hours away. There were two very decent singers, and a 16-year-old flautist who was, not to put too fine a point on it, bloody fantastic.

James Galway, eat your heart out!

And I'll get to hear her again on Sunday, as they're doing the concert again in Edmundston up in the north of the province. :smiley:

Still not sure how this weather-system will pan out - they're only talking about 4-6 inches of snow*, but most of it falling tomorrow, which could still be a total pain.

* I know that sounds like quite a lot to you, but it barely registers over here - 6 inches is the start-point for snowfall warnings.
  • O dear - hopefully the sn*w (please note correct speeling) will hold off for you.

SE Ukland today is mild, with some intermittent Sun-Shine, but some rain is forecast for tomorrow and Saturday. Hopefully, the rain will abate before Sunday morning's Palm Procession!

IJ
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    I am on a mission to make Swiss Roll.

I tried it a couple of months back and it was a miserable failure on account of not having the right tin. A proper Swiss Roll tin was acquired at my parents' place when we were last there and I've made another one but it cracked during rolling up. I think I must have baked it a bit too long although it was still edible and quite pleasant.

Husband en rouge is going to be fed many Swiss Rolls until I get it right. :innocent:

Baby en rouge now weighs 990 grammes. I've left him with instructions to put on 10 grammes by time I go back there tomorrow. (I don't know why a kilo feels important, but it does.)
  • Piglet wrote: »
    6 inches is the start-point for snowfall warnings.
    6 millimetres sends most of Britain into a blind panic: "Arctic chill", "Blizzard conditions", "Risk to life" and the rest of it.

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Go for it baby Rouge - 1Kg by tomorrow!
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Glad baby en rouge is piling on the weight. Baking sounds nice, with or without the cracks. You're making me think about doing some baking.
  • Well done, baby rouge. You have much support here for you and your family.
  • I suppose baby en rouge (may he flourish and prosper!) is a bit young to start consuming Swiss rolls....
    :wink:

IJ
  • With all this talk of baking, I'm planning a day of domestic goddess-ish-ness tomorrow - hot cross buns and Welsh cakes - and preparing to welcome Miss S, SiL and the Intrepid Grandson for a transition weekend on their way to their new home (tra-la!)

LVER, one day baby en rouge will be like Le Jeune Intrepid(e?), stalwart, sturdy and resembling a locust in seeking what next he may devour :lol:

Exit Mme. S, singing
    I was thinking exactly that, BF - I only need to think about Swiss rolls and I put on half a kilo.

Go for it, Baby Rouge!

It started to sn*w an hour or two ago, and I'm hoping it doesn't carry on for too long, or shovelling will have to be done, making for a very disgruntled piglet. At least it's not enough to cancel choir practice.

I have, however, made SOUP - bacon, lentil and tomato, since you ask.

For those of you who think that D. and I subsist entirely on SOUP - we don't quite, but it's such an easy and satisfying thing to make, we both like it, and it's cheap, so why not?
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    The sn*w has gone and temperatures are not to bad, but plans to get outside have been scuppered by a bout of the dreaded lurgy.
  • O woe! Perhaps piglet could send some virtual SOUP, and Mrs. S. some CAKE?

You'd feel a lot better (hope you do so soon, anyway)..
    :flushed:

IJ
    Absolutely - virtual SOUP (and GIN) on its way, Balaam - hope you feel better soon.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Thanks for the SOUP and GIN, however as it arrived in the small hours of this morning I medicated myself last night using Doctor Morangie's* throat tincture. However this was a little strong and burnt the back of said throat, so the dose was not repeated. Current situation: My nose is flowing like Angel Falls ,however taste is returning to food, so it will soon blow over.

* First name Glen.

My usual tincture for such things is: lemon powder hot drink of your choice, made up according to instructions, with a teaspoon or two each of lemon juice, Manuka honey and cooking whisky* (enough to take the horrid taste away) just before you go to bed.

It usually works, although the bug I caught when I was home was rather more powerful than the tincture was ... :worried: Hope yours isn't as resilient as that.

* I wouldn't waste something decent like Glenmorangie on it! :smiley:
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    We had a magical morning today, making me realise that puppy raising is the Best Job in the Whole World. We went to Atherton to watch Mollie working and meet her for the last time before she moves on to Shrewsbury on Monday for her advanced training and matching with her owner.

She was completely paw perfect. Her trainer hasn’t been able to fault her in any of her training, she’s been 100% paw perfect all the way.

Then we met her at Big School and Keir got to play with her. She remembered us and Keir. He was over the moon to see her again and have a good old play in the sandpit.

Wonderful, every precious minute.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    We had a magical morning today, making me realise that puppy raising is the Best Job in the Whole World. We went to Atherton to watch Mollie working and meet her for the last time before she moves on to Shrewsbury on Monday for her advanced training and matching with her owner.

She was completely paw perfect. Her trainer hasn’t been able to fault her in any of her training, she’s been 100% paw perfect all the way.

Then we met her at Big School and Keir got to play with her. She remembered us and Keir. He was over the moon to see her again and have a good old play in the sandpit.

Wonderful, every precious minute.

Once again I miss the smiley with all the hearts raining down.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

• A Very Big YAY! might help!

Nice one, Boogie (and Mollie, of course).

IJ
    Bugger. Baby en rouge *lost* 10 grammes. It's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but we'll have to wait for the magic kilo...

Cheerful news: my brother and sister-in-law arrive tomorrow from California. Mind, I hope they've brought their thermal undies or they're going to freeze.
  • Never mind, LVER, the Magic Kilo will soon arrive.
    :smile:

Is it chilly in Paris at the moment? It's about 12C, with hazy Sun-Shine here, a couple of hours away, but I guess that might indeed be cold to Californians!

IJ
  • It is sufficiently sunny for me to start investing in hats, my face finding encounters with any sun most painful. I found and purchased an entertaining white straw trilby today, which was worn home gangster style, low at the front. I suspect I'll have a serious hat collection by the end of this summer.

Sorry to hear Baby en rouge hasn't made the kg yet.

Hoping baby en rouge makes the big K very soon.

Am slightly pissed-off at the moment - the pianist who D. so gallantly filled in for on Tuesday (learning some very tricky stuff in record time) has decided that her wrist is no longer sprained, so he's not doing the second gig -and (more to the point) not getting the second fee.

Oh well - it would have been a bit of a scramble to get there in time (and a long drive each way) - overall he reckons it's not so bad.
    It's quite a pleasant day here: bright sunshine and 12°. Still, it's definitely going to feel chilly after California. The nights are also quite cold still.

My sister-in-law is originally from Romania. Methinks there is an excellent opportunity coming up to try out the Romanian restaurant I've had my eye on for ages :yum:. Romanian food is what my s-i-l describes as "hearty" - after a visit to the relatives this summer, my brother and her had to go on a serious diet.
  • Oooh....some of the Romanian dishes listed by Mr. Wikipedia sound very tasty indeed...here's just one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasole_cu_c%C3%A2rna%C8%9Bi

IJ

• We had a very pleasant mini meet with Baptist Trainfan and Wild Haggis at St. Fagans today. We need to meet up again to see which of Baptist Trainfan, Darllenwr and Lord Pontivillian can out-train -geek the others!
    A few of those and baby en rouge will hit his 1kg in no time! :smiley:

I've never tried Romanian food - I sort of imagine it's all cabbage, beetroot and sausages, but I could be very wrong.

I'm currently contemplating the manufacture of macaroni cheese for tomorrow's lunch - D. mentioned it the other day, and I haven't made it for ages.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I’ve been to Romania quite a few times, I remember a lot of mashed potato, pork, chicken and gravy. Also pickled vegetables. :smile:
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    My son has come home for the weekend to cook me a delayed Mothering Sunday meal. Pumpkin ravioli with a sage butter sauce followed by tiramisu and good coffee. The downside is having to listen to husband and son have impenetrable coffee geek conversations, but it's worth it.
  • Priscilla wrote: »
    We had a very pleasant mini meet with Baptist Trainfan and Wild Haggis at St. Fagans today. We need to meet up again to see which of Baptist Trainfan, Darllenwr and Lord Pontivillian can out-train -geek the others!

Remember the rebuilt and unrebuilt Bullied Pacifics!
    Glad to hear the meet went well! :smile:

• Priscilla wrote: »
    We had a very pleasant mini meet with Baptist Trainfan and Wild Haggis at St. Fagans today. We need to meet up again to see which of Baptist Trainfan, Darllenwr and Lord Pontivillian can out-train -geek the others!

Pleased the mini meet went ahead. Hope to join you in the future but have to confess that I’m a railway (and model railway) nut so care will be needed to avoid something others could find tedious
  • Bugger. Baby en rouge *lost* 10 grammes. It's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but we'll have to wait for the magic kilo...
    LVER, one of our parishioners is great-grandmother to little Vincent who is facing similar challenges, and had her first cuddles last weekend. She told us in the car as we were travelling to church this morning that the nursing staff at the NICU here give the parents an award certificate when their little patient reaches that magic milestone. Here's hoping that it soon arrives for your little one.
    edited March 2018
    Yea and amen to that!

I've just sung in a very long service (by our standards anyway). As it's Palm Sunday, we had a processional hymn, which stopped for a "station" half-way through, at which point the Dean read Psalm 118*. Then we had the Passion Gospel, which as decreed by the Revised Common Lectionary (may its pages stick together with green mould) was from St. Mark, so we'd had to learn a new setting, which was somewhat longer than the one we're used to.

Couple that with a few quite long hymns and the fact that the Dean didn't postpone the "Two Minutes for Ministry"** talk until a more suitable date, and the whole thing took over an hour and a half, and the people arriving for the informal 11:45 service had to wait while D. played the voluntary - Bach's Passacaglia, which is quite large ... :cold_sweat:

I'm glad I made today's lunch last night - at least all it needs is heating up. I think there may be Quality Bear Time™ this afternoon. :tired_face:

* It could have been worse - if it had been 119 we'd have been there yet.

** Over the last few months, he's been getting a representative of each of the various church groups to give a little talk each week about what their group does; they're meant to be 2 minutes, but they're quite often rather more.
    Then we had the Passion Gospel, which as decreed by the Revised Common Lectionary (may its pages stick together with green mould) was from St. Mark.
    My last church always had a joint service with the Anglicans on Palm Sunday, alternating between the two venues. We always had the chanted Passion Reading, which people from both churches disliked so much that it became a serious problem. In vain I pleaded with the Vicar that we shouldn't be doing said reading until Good Friday anyway, that Palm Sunday was Too Early, but there was no shifting him: that was what the Lectionary prescribed.

As soon as he left (to become an Archdeacon), the churchwardens put their feet down and said, "No chanted reading". Although I still couldn't persuade New Vicar to omit it entirely, he went over to a semi-dramatised version for readers and congregation which (a) was more interesting, (b) involved more people and (c) took 10 minutes less. This Went Down Much Better.

• Anyone would think Spring has finally come, looking at the beautiful blue sky this afternoon! We decided to go out for an hour, and headed to a local country park to have a walk around the lake. It seemed that everyone had had the same idea!
    This park is a favourite with dog owners, and I noticed that a lot of dogs had their leads attached to harnesses rather than to their collars.
    I mentioned this to Darllenwr, and we started to count. We ended up seeing 11 dogs with harnesses - including a tiny chihuahua who was on a rabbit harness as he was so small - and 7 with collar and lead. I've never noticed this before, it must be a new trend.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Priscilla wrote: »
    I noticed that a lot of dogs had their leads attached to harnesses rather than to their collars.
    I mentioned this to Darllenwr, and we started to count. We ended up seeing 11 dogs with harnesses - including a tiny chihuahua who was on a rabbit harness as he was so small - and 7 with collar and lead. I've never noticed this before, it must be a new trend.

It is. If a dog has a tendency to pull a harness is much better for them than a collar. But better still is to train them never to pull, many people don’t want to put the effort in to do that.

I used the sunshine to sit on the decking with an excellent cup of coffee while the dogs played in the garden :sunglasses:

• DarllenwrDarllenwr Shipmate Posts: 47
    Priscilla wrote: »

Remember the rebuilt and unrebuilt Bullied Pacifics!

I note that you didn't actually answer the implied question at the time, namely how you told them apart, from a distance, complete with their cladding?! Incidentally, Lord P didn't know the answer either. Given that he was well on his way to earning his "Rivet Counter" grade at the time, the fact that he couldn't tell me how to tell the two classes of Bullied Pacific apart at a distance was something of a relief. And, yes, I do know that many folk think there were three classes of Bullied pacific. They are wrong. There were only 2 classes, the Merchant Navy class and the light-weight (West Country / Battle of Britain) class.

I'll get me coat.
  • Before you do......pedant alert!

Bulleid, please, not bullied, though OVB himself wasn't too keen on the rebuilds, so perhaps he thought they had been.

You may now get your coat, and would you please fetch mine? Thanks!

IJ
    Fair point - your coat, sir ...
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    And your engine-driver's hat ...

The MNs did look a bit "bulkier" and "heavier", and I don't think the tender cladding got cut down before they were rebuilt. Strangely enough I and some chums used to go train-spotting around the London termini and we weren't much interested in seeing the steamers at Waterloo, mainly because there were very well-guarded platform gates which made them almost impossible to see. We much preferred Kings Cross with its Deltics (and, on memorable occasion, the legendary DP2). I still remember a cabride in "Alycidon", the full length of the longest platform at "The Cross".

Perhaps we'd better change the points before this thread gets completely derailed ...
    [Sticks head around door to hiss -]
    Number of washout plugs along the top of the firebox - 5 on the light pacifics, 6 on the M/N's
  • Moving further down this siding, I, too, recall 'Deltics' at King's Cross.

Impressive beasties, without a doubt, and they would have looked simply splendid in malachite green with sunshine yellow lining and lettering.

Oops...who put these buffers here...?

IJ
    Oh dear - train-spotters ... :mrgreen:
    ... We always had the chanted Passion Reading, which people from both churches disliked so much that it became a serious problem ...
    I don't dislike the chanted versions, but the one we did today (from St. Mark) seemed to be quite a bit longer than the one I'm used to (from St. Matthew). All credit to the Dean though, who held it in tune (as did the choir!).

I think if we'd tried to do a dramatised version we might have run into problems with the bloke who runs away and gets his cloak pulled off though! :fearful:
  • Darllenwr wrote: »
    [Sticks head around door to hiss -]
    Number of washout plugs along the top of the firebox - 5 on the light pacifics, 6 on the M/N's
    And differently-shaped nameplates (I thought of that while I was in bed!)

Now, to less weighty matters ...

Oh dear - train-spotters ... :mrgreen:
    ... We always had the chanted Passion Reading, which people from both churches disliked so much that it became a serious problem ...
    I don't dislike the chanted versions, but the one we did today (from St. Mark) seemed to be quite a bit longer than the one I'm used to (from St. Matthew). All credit to the Dean though, who held it in tune (as did the choir!).

I think if we'd tried to do a dramatised version we might have run into problems with the bloke who runs away and gets his cloak pulled off though! :fearful:
    It was only dramatised inasmuch different people took the different voices, with the congregation as the crowd. There was no acting involved.

• Yes, that's how we do it. The congregation joined in with some gusto, I'm happy to say!

IJ
This discussion has been closed.