AS: Tea and biscuits and GIN, the British thread

Comments

• la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Now, to less weighty matters ...

Since you mentioned weighty matters...

One kilo! One whole kilo! Or seeing that you geeky types seem to like precision, one kilo and thirty grams today :smiley:

Go baby en rouge!
  • DiomedesDiomedes Shipmate
    Indeed - hooray for baby en rouge!
  • Well, that's even more than The Magic Kilo, and therefore worth even more YAY!

IJ
  • Oh, yay, brilliant news.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    Chapeau! to le bébé en rouge.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Great news about baby en rouge. He's gaining weight at an impressive pace.
  • Thirty-six and a third ounces or just over two pounds and four ounces in the old money as they say
  • That's about the same as the Traditional Bag of Sugar wot My Old Dad used to sell in his corner shop!
    Yay!

IJ
  • ferijenferijen Shipmate
    Popping in to cheer for baby en rouge (does he have anything red to wear yet?)
  • No point yet - he'll be grown out of it by tomorrow!
    :grin:

Mind you, a nice red blanket might look well....

IJ
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    That's just as well. Our congo didn't get the option of joining in (it was a choral setting), but at least they got to sit for the duration, which is more than we did.

It's a glorious day here, and I'm delighted to report that we've had a couple of guests at the birdie bistro - there were two mourning doves tucking in while I was cooking lunch. It's lovely to see them back - we had some sort of bird virus in the summer, and have hardly seen any birds at all since. I hope they go off and tell all their wee friends, so that we get some more!

• What good news, LVER. Onward and upward.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Good news indeed, LVER. Not quite time for a*******, but I'm thinking it anyway.

(You can't use dashes for the missing letters on the new ship!)
    I am an idiot. Having clicked on the thread, I didn't have the wit to notice that there was a new page.

Huge hurrah for baby en rouge - long may he continue to grow! Definitely at the bag of sugar stage - is the next stage a bag of flour?

There's a beef casserole on the stove - help yourselves!
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Our congo didn't get the option of joining in (it was a choral setting), but at least they got to sit for the duration, which is more than we did.
    Sit? For the Gospel? Is outrage! (Of course we only stand for the hymns anyway ....)

• Well done bébé en rouge.

If you find difficulty getting small clothes (when the time comes) and don't like what's available in premature ranges, try clothing for dolls - we found things that were far better made and the boys looked very cute in miniature dungarees.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    At this stage baby en rouge only wears a nappy and a woolly hat. He's kept warm by being wrapped up in my t-shirts - previously worn so they smell like me.

He is the only person in the world EVAR who gets to share my red Freddie Mercury t-shirt :mrgreen: .
  • Yes, most important that he gets used to the smell of you.

My children even now only need to get a whiff of Chanel No 5 and they well-up because it is the smell of their mother.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    @TheOrganist, same thing here. Chanel No 5 was the scent on my mother's dresser all my life. My dad was a pilot in the air force and a big part of that, to me, meant that he and mom got dressed up for elegant parties and Chanel No 5 was central watching my mother get ready. Be strong little baby en rouge!
  • DiomedesDiomedes Shipmate
    Powerful stuff perfume! When I was in hospital, aged very young, I had my mother's handkerchief under my pillow to make me brave - a whiff of 'Je Reviens' is all it took. A Freddie Mercury T Shirt is way more cool!
    Indeed - there can be few things cooler than a Freddie t-shirt! Will it instil in baby en rouge your obviously exquisite taste in rock music? :smiley:

Scents can be very evocative, can't they? I can't tell you how pleased I was when I discovered that if I braved going into W*l-M*rt I could still get "Wild Musk" - the scent of my youth (and it's ridiculously cheap too).

It's another glorious day here, and the space between the sn*w-banks on the driveway seems to be getting bigger - maybe we won't have to trade in the Pigletmobile for a sledge after all ... :mrgreen:
  • Thank you, LVER, for a most lovely picture of baby en rouge's attire!

I trust his Woolly Hat is a bright red, yes?

IJ
  • Yay bébé en rouge!
  • Tsk, tsk, all this French on what's supposed to be a British post ...
  • You mean that you're disappointed that we interrupted the scheduled talk about trains to coo over a baby? :wink:

Another week, another ambulance crew - this time we spent Sunday night in A&E, because my daughter was struggling to breathe at around 10pm, was just about under control after the midnight antihistamine and steroid medications, but had almost run out of allowed daily doses of ventolin reliever. We called NHS 111 who sent an ambulance and were very glad we'd gone in, because come 3am she ended up in Resuscitation for about half an hour as she was really struggling to breathe again. Lots of grumbling in the sitting out for observation space as people were there for hours, and we queue jumped spectacularly before sitting back down for another 4 hours. She has a chest infection on top of the allergies. Actually, most of the rest of the group were pretty understanding as they were waiting for blood results to come back before seeing a doctor and were being seen as things happened.

I did spot one of the ambulance crew who took me in walking through A&E in the middle of the night, but he didn't notice me.
  • CK, glad to hear the situation got sorted....

If you're happy with the ambulance crew, and what they did for you and daughter, do please let the relevant ambulance service know. Speaking from experience, positive feedback (as they say on eBay) is always welcome, and can really lift morale!

IJ
  • Bit late, but well done, Baby en rouge! May he keep going and getting bigger and bigger! ;)
  • You mean that you're disappointed that we interrupted the scheduled talk about trains to coo over a baby?
    Actually, no - my Nerdometer had already moved well into the red area! But I was concerned to read about your "adventures" with your daughter, hope she's OK.

• (((The Rouge family))) and (((Curiosity and her daughter)))
  • <votive> for the Kitten. That sounds awful. Chest infections are not fun at the best of times, never mind with other breathing problems.

ION, has anyone else had hail?
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus

Yes, a brief shower just as we were getting into the car. As we were driving through southern outskirts of Edinburgh we could see the curtain of precipitation against the clearer sky following.
  • No hail, more like sleet or sn*w here in Kent...
    :grimace:

IJ
    {{{CK and Curious Kitten}}} - that seems like a very scary few hours for you both.

We haven't had hail, although I think we had a wee bit of freezing rain last night. Now we just seem to have clouds, which is just fine by me.

Gearing up for a busy few days - Tenebrae this evening, then making soup and bread for a communal feed at the Cathedral before the Maundy Thursday service. Fortunately the choir isn't needed on Friday - they're doing some sort of Taizė thing with the band - and then we're on again on Saturday evening and Sunday.

I love Easter, but there does tend to be rather a lot of it! Quite hacked off to be missing our monthly Evensong though* - whose idea was it to have Easter Day fall on the first Sunday of the month? :smiley:

* D. would have been happy for us to do Evensong, but with our rehearsal time having been messed about with so much, it really wasn't practical, and I'm not sure the choir would have worn it.
  • Bravo Bebe en Rouge, and CK what a time you and the Kitten are having. Prayers for you all.
    Very nice Tenebrae service this evening - we sang the psalms to plainsong, and did Healey Willan's Responsories, and the whole thing came together very well. One service down, a few to go ...
  • At a meeting of the Kirk Session recently I was running through all the holy week services in the diary: schools services, Maundy Thursday service, Good Friday service, Easter Services, and the next on my eye lit on was Boiler service. I was gently reminded that I wouldn't need to put a liturgy together for that one!
  • Cathscats wrote: »
    At a meeting of the Kirk Session recently I was running through all the holy week services in the diary: schools services, Maundy Thursday service, Good Friday service, Easter Services, and the next on my eye lit on was Boiler service. I was gently reminded that I wouldn't need to put a liturgy together for that one!
    "Lord, we thank thee for the faithful service of this boiler, laying aside in a spirit of true Christian forgiveness the memory of when it broke down just before the Carol Service. We commend it to thy keeping, trusting that it will soldier on with the minimum of costly maintenance for this coming year. In your mercy, hear our prayer".

• DafydDafyd Shipmate
    <votive> for the Kitten. That sounds awful. Chest infections are not fun at the best of times, never mind with other breathing problems.

A heavy shower yesterday afternoon - I was walking home from school with the Dafling major - about five minutes leaving a small stream flowing down by the side of the pavement into the drain.

Best wishes to both Baby Rouge and Kitten.
  • Baptist Trainfan wrote:

"Lord, we thank thee for the faithful service of this boiler, laying aside in a spirit of true Christian forgiveness the memory of when it broke down just before the Carol Service. We commend it to thy keeping, trusting that it will soldier on with the minimum of costly maintenance for this coming year. In [thy] mercy, hear our prayer".

Then shall the Boiler be censed three times, with triple swings, and aspersed three times with Holy Water, taking great care not to extinguish the pilot light.

The sanctuary/boiler-room party shall then retire, all wearing a melancholy aspect.

IJ

• Any hymn selections? The choir is going to be most disappointed not to be included.

My immediate thought was This Little Light of Mine but it's apparently a folk/gospel song, or Give me oil in my boiler (lamp)
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    I am very excited.

I fundraised and named a Guide Dog puppy Rachel, in loving memory of my Mum. She is born and I’ve been sent a photo - a full Golden Retriever who was born on the 5th February 2018, Mum Isobel and Dad Pascale. What a gorgeous wee teddy bear! :love:

Siblings Thomas, Blue, Poppy and Olive.

Rachel

• Boogie, she's so cute! (I nearly said "adorable", but a friend put a video on f/b of 2 American infants complaining that their parents hadn't bought an "adorable" puppy - I'm afraid my reaction was that the children were brats!)
  • Rachel is absolutely beautiful and a wonderful tribute to your Mum. Such a sweet baby now, with an important future ahead of her.
    :heart:
  • Such a cute ball of fluff.
  • She has a very purposeful and determined look about her, clearly relishing her vocation!

IJ
  • Priscilla wrote: »
    Boogie, she's so cute! (I nearly said "adorable", but a friend put a video on f/b of 2 American infants complaining that their parents hadn't bought an "adorable" puppy - I'm afraid my reaction was that the children were brats!)

[tangent] Many millennia ago I attended a birthday party (I was probably 4 or 5), where the birthday girl was given a doll I thought was quite ugly. (I was never a big fan of dolls anyway, preferring stuffed animals.) The birthday girl's mother exclaimed how "adorable" the doll was, so I assumed for a long time that "adorable" was synonymous with "ugly." [/tangent]

• Today is my wife's birthday. Our son, wife and baby have come for the weekend on a surprise visit (not to me!) and she is thrilled to have them here.
    edited March 2018
    Boogie, Rachel is one very adorable wee dog! ❤

Happy birthday to Mrs. BT - have fun with the grand-BT!

SOUP has been manufactured for the Cathedral supper, the loaves have just come out of the oven and it's a glorious day (9° and sunny, since you ask).

I do believe we might be heading towards Spring. :smile:

Regarding hymns for the Boiler Service, how about Fire of God, thou sacred flame?

Or just a few "pot-boilers" ...

I'll get my coat.
  • How about 'Light up the fire and let the flame burn'
  • :smiley: Gracious Rebel - that's what I was trying to remember but failing.

Happy Birthday to Mrs Baptist Trainfan.
This discussion has been closed.