Chasing the black dog

Comments

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    Bless you too, @alienfromzog you’ve done the right thing. I’m very afraid that most of the NHS is running on adrenaline at the moment and that there will be a huge mental health cost further down the line 🕯🕯🕯
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    {{{AFZ}}}
  • CameronCameron Shipmate
    Blessings upon you too, @alienfromzog

It’s good to have your wisdom and kindness here - and to be reminded that we need to be kind to ourselves too in these difficult times.

• CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    The dawn of spring seems to be keeping my SAD symptoms at bay! I need to stick to routine, routine, routine.
  • Thank you lovely people
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Alien from zog - thank you - you reminded me to re-start my stalled meditation practice. That's my equivalent.

Look after yourself.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Good on you AFZ and Cassia, glad to see that the sunlight is breaking through.

I have had another work-related anxiety situation, but fortunately all internal this time. I don't want to rehash the scenario right now, because I'm still in it maybe two hours after it began. I think part of what I do is start to become anxious because I am feeling anxious, and because my anxiety is out of proportion to the situation. Work in progress.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Simon Toad, I am very much aware of the 'work in progress' aspects of mental health for me. Two steps forward and one step back, although sometimes it feels more like one forward and two or more back.

This morning I made the mistake of switching on the news before breakfast, not one to repeat in a hurry, :unamused:
    In my 50's, its a big part of health full stop I reckon. You find a problem, you work out what it is and how to integrate the treatment into your life. My feeling is that will change as I continue to age, but I'm not sure what's next :)
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I have possibly 10 or so years more years than you, ST and for me life has become immeasurably better. Hope that's what happens for you.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Yes... I can identify with the integration ST talks about. Sadly for me I often need to fall apart before I realise what I should do... I laugh, though; people say to me, "You're intelligent...why do you think like that?" -- but with mental health I sometimes feel like I'm a child back in kindergarten...learning the basics. Sometimes again and again.

Hope the medication is treating you well, AFZ.
    I am very up and down. No housework at all this week, though I am forcing myself to do some today (halfway through sweeping). It is so hard. I feel very lethargic, much anxiety, lots of guilt crashing over me. I am seeing the talk guy tomorrow via the phone, and my Pills guy scheduled an appointment for me off his own bat for Monday morning. He called me a week ago, as I had been calling him when I had to have time off work. He was sick as a dog. Hopefully that one will be phone as well, but if he wants a face to face I'll be there. I need to see him.
  • Climacus wrote: »

Hope the medication is treating you well, AFZ.

Thank you for asking.

No noticable side effects. Mood improving. Concentration not quite back to normal but getting better.

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    Thinking of you both 🕯🕯
    I hope the chat with talk guy helped, Simon Toad, and hope the appointment with Pills guy this morning has a positive outcome. Be kind to yourself.

Good to read of the early results, AFZ. Best wishes for continued improvement.
    sort of :smile: Medication adjustments, so that will take about 2 weeks to kick in.
    All my thoughts and wishes are with you. I know that time.

Be good to yourself. And patient. :votive:
    (I meant patient with yourself, sorry; Internet disconnected before I could correct!)
  • Good to hear your mood is improving, AFZ.
    Much love to you, ST. I hope the pill adjustment brings good things soon, and best wishes to you in the meantime.
    Climacus is so right about the need to be good to ourselves, and patient with ourselves.
    Thinking of all of us this morning (hoping things are better for SecondRateOrganist too). It’s a very weird and difficult time.
    ... It’s a very weird and difficult time.
    It is indeed: I'd say that even those of us who don't actually have a Black Beast are probably beginning to struggle a bit.

Prayers ascending for all on this thread - know that you're being thought about!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Adding my prayers too 🕯
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited April 6
    Although my symptoms of covid 19 are mostly gone, I appear to have developed post-viral fatigue and depression. The experience has also left me with anxiety, panicking about my breathing, which obviously just makes it worse (I think some of what I now experience is psychosomatic). I’ve just emailed my manager as I need to take a break.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Very wise @Heavenlyannie , take good care of yourself 🕯!
    Hold fast to your insights H.A. Do what needs to be done to return to stability.

I'm back on seroquel for the first time in a long time. I made the mistake of taking it with my evening meds at 6:30 while at work. By 7pm I felt off balance, like I was drunk. I won't be doing that again. Definitely a pill to take just before bedtime.
    Oh, I know that feeling. Seroquel is the last thing I take before I collapse into bed.

Continued best wishes for those adjusting/changing medication, Simon Toad and AFZ.

{{ Heavenlyannie }} -- I hope the break helps, and Simon's advice seems wise.

And for all: :votive:

I'm plodding along, though my flight response is rather intense these days. Rather than a Dalek call of "Exterminate!" it seems a constant inner shrill cry of "Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!" rings through my mind. From work meetings to shopping. Have it somewhat under control thankfully.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Shopping is bloody awful at the moment, though I am grateful to the workers at the closest one who are amazing people and well deserve the bonus they are getting. It should be made permanent,
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    @Heavenlyannie yes - take time off, if you can. You may be asymptomatic, but your body will take time to heal, and the mental scars will also take time to recover from.
    Just a note to say I hope all are doing well.

And thinking particularly, given the most recent posts, of AFZ, Annie and Simon.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Well done @Climacus I, too, hope everyone is coping okay 🕯
  • Thank you for asking. I'm doing well. Mood much better. Concentration not fully returned but improving.

I'm working this weekend; it's all a bit strange but well managed at the mo. Local case numbers well below surge capacity at present. So this is very much not the frontline currently.

AFZ

Glad to hear you're improving, AFZ.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    {{{{{{{All}}}}}}}
  • ThomasinaThomasina Shipmate
    Wish I could convince myself there is a point in all this. Been on antidepressants for 20 years, but now, in isolation because of my vulnerability (well over 80 now and disabled) I really can't see the point of anything. Am still trudging through the motions, put washing on, make dinner, and so on and so on and so on ad infinitum. Only bonus is that the sun is shining, the tulip bulbs I planted last year are looking gorgeous and the trees are coming into leaf. But it won't last. What then?
  • Following various isolated people on Instagram, there have been some amazing photos and videos of someone*getting dressed up to the nines to put out and get in the bin. The sight of a swishing evening dress, jewellery and gloves dragging the bin was hilarious.

It's hard, it's finding something you find interesting and satisfying to engage in is helping lots of people.

* Mercedes from the last GB Sewing Bee
    {{{Thomasina}}}

• DiomedesDiomedes Shipmate
    Oh Thomasina - please don't give up hope. There will be new joys.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    @Thomasina 🕯
    edited April 13
    I have been down with a non-corona sinus infection, and the enforced rest and med adjustment seems to have blown my anxiety and related symptoms away. Like my pile of used tissues, may my symptoms stay in the red topped garbage bin, and not the yellow recycling one.

Thomasina, how paralysing is that dread hopelessness! I hope that state passes for you, and that you will enjoy your tulips again this year, and look forward to their bloom in the future.
    Well said, ST! :)
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Thomasina wrote: »
    Wish I could convince myself there is a point in all this. Been on antidepressants for 20 years, but now, in isolation because of my vulnerability (well over 80 now and disabled) I really can't see the point of anything. Am still trudging through the motions, put washing on, make dinner, and so on and so on and so on ad infinitum. Only bonus is that the sun is shining, the tulip bulbs I planted last year are looking gorgeous and the trees are coming into leaf. But it won't last. What then?

Hugs. Yes it sucks. The summer is coming - enjoy that. And the next summer, and many more.
    Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Feeling a lot better today, having had 5 phone calls and a Tesco delivery. Contact with an actual human, even via the phone, does help. And of course, your prayers!
    Glad to hear it, Thomasina! Sending hugs and positive thoughts! :)
  • Virtual hugs to you, Thomasina. In my prayers.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Well done @Thomasina 💫🕯
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thinking of you Thomasina as we go into winter here. I hope I haven't left it too late to plant some daffodil bulbs I forgot last year. I plant them outside the front fence so the whole street can enjoy them - I don't usually lose too many.
  • I hope things are continuing on the up, Thomasina.

I have had a migraine on and off since Sunday, and my ability to look on the bright side is much reduced. I think it’s that, plus managing all things Corona, keeping the kids encouraged, blah blah blah, but it’s all getting to me a bit. I hid in my office at work yesterday and had a good sob. Crying, ofc, makes the migraine worse...
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Oh, I really pray things improve for you, @Jemima the 9th 🕯
    Jemima, you have my prayers. I used to get terrible migraines, but sometimes found that pressure on the point of pain helped, or pressure with an ice cube. I have to say that sometimes it didn't!

I'm afraid I'm on the down again, I do find life so b***** depressing, and do have very dark thoughts. But I try to kid myself I feel fine, the sun is shining and I am lucky in that I can exactly what I like.
  • Praying for you both 🕯
    Prayers ascending from here too.