Greenbelt 2019

PantsPants Shipmate
I have searched and can't find a thread. Is that cos no-one is going?! I am!

Comments

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited August 1
    There are some comments on the Black Dog thread. You won't be the only one - but it's too far away for me. Have fun!
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    I won’t be going this year, sadly. I hope to be back in 2020.

Have a great time!
  • SmudgieSmudgie Shipmate
    I'm going - working again (though probably for the last time). Although it's really not my scene in many ways, I am really disappointed that I won't be there in 2020 (unless I pay for my own ticket and use annual leave - and I didn't love it that much)

We should be camping near to where we were last time and I think the work tent is at the same spot too (though slightly bigger this year).

Since last year I have learned to take hot water bottles and the wonderful Travel Janes with me, to take less food, to abandon the inflatable bed in favour of camp beds which will not deflate in the night, to choose a tent you can stand up in, and to be less indecisive. I'm looking forward to the amazing variety of foods, to working in the tent (I loved this last year), to sitting quietly in the campsite with a cuppa, to going to Beer and Hymns (this time I have planned the rota so that I can go) and to decent weather.
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    And the most important bit Smudgie... getting to see people you don't see except at Greenbelt. ;)
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    I will be there! Working with the Access team this year for the first time.
  • Health permitting, I really hope to come. It’ll be my second GB, my first being in 1994.
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    Yay Jemima. Hope you make it and enjoy it. I'll be one of the crazies driving a taxi (aka golf buggy) around.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I hope the weather is kind to you all.
    Huia wrote: »
    I hope the weather is kind to you all.

I am very much hoping that the rain and storms are sorting themselves out now, before the bank holiday.
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Yes, decent weather makes all the difference.

@Smudgie- it’s a real shame we may not see each other at Greenbelt in 2020, especially as I’ll not be there this year. Pants is right; some folk you only get to see there.

P.S. Be thankful that I’m not due in town this month or I’d threaten to drop off a load of unused Travel Johns at your place of work! 😎

• McMaverickMcMaverick Shipmate
    edited August 11
    I’m going! I have an ‘assistant’ because of my back issues. I might be on Pants’ buggie - I haven’t seen you since I came to an art day years back! I had a different user name then, but I can’t remember what it was.
    Might see you in the Haven, if you need a get-away.
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    McMaverick wrote: »
    I’m going! I have an ‘assistant’ because of my back issues. I might be on Pants’ buggie - I haven’t seen you since I came to an art day years back! I had a different user name then, but I can’t remember what it was.

Wow... that was a looooong time ago! But who were you then?!?!
  • I’ll be there (been every year since 1998 and a few before, I started dating my hubby there that year).
    Husband is helping with the Faraday Institute (science and religion) so we will arrive early this year. I might come and nose round the Access area, I’m interested in what they do mental health-wise and I might be considering volunteering in the future.
    I hope to look at the Faraday Institute work, so I might also see Mr HeavenlyAnnie.
  • LuciaLucia Shipmate
    Mr L and I will be there. Normally we go without kids in tow but this year we will have younger teenager with us so not sure how that will be! Hopefully he will have a go at some of the youth stuff on his own but at 14 and as a new festival goer he will probably need a bit of shepherding!
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    edited August 14
    I’ll be there, for the first time in maybe 12 years. I’ve just used the app to put together some sort of “perhaps if I don’t get waylaid” plan, but of course there are always waylaying opportunities!

@Heavenlyannie I’d love to meet you to discuss historical costumes - I’m putting together one for a West Gallery choir that I play flute for, so it’s early 19th C.

I’ll be in my tin tent, so far more luxurious than the last time I camped.
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    Lucia wrote: »
    Mr L and I will be there. Normally we go without kids in tow but this year we will have younger teenager with us so not sure how that will be! Hopefully he will have a go at some of the youth stuff on his own but at 14 and as a new festival goer he will probably need a bit of shepherding!

I've PM'd you. :)

• daisydaisy wrote: »

@Heavenlyannie I’d love to meet you to discuss historical costumes - I’m putting together one for a West Gallery choir that I play flute for, so it’s early 19th C.

I’ll be in my tin tent, so far more luxurious than the last time I camped.
    Would love to meet up with any shipmates. I’m actually very easy to spot, there aren’t many middle aged women who are 4 foot 11 with bum length hair wearing a 1970s Laura Ashley maxi dress. Last year two shipmates recognised me from my description and introduced themselves (I also had green hair ends then - this year my hair ends are multicoloured).
    I’m also on for an organised meet up.

I will have a 15 year old boy with me (as well as an 18 year old) and I expect he will want to do his own thing and not want to be seen with me!
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    @Heavenlyannie , hi! I think I was one of the two- by the West African food stall, I think. That spinach stew was great even if it did pay havoc with my insides. 🔥
  • Yes, you and Schroedingers Cat. The food at that stall was good!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... there aren’t many middle aged women who are 4 foot 11 with bum length hair wearing a 1970s Laura Ashley maxi dress ...
    Funnily enough, that's exactly how I imagined many of the ladies at Greenbelt would be ... :mrgreen:
    Piglet wrote: »
    ... there aren’t many middle aged women who are 4 foot 11 with bum length hair wearing a 1970s Laura Ashley maxi dress ...
    Funnily enough, that's exactly how I imagined many of the ladies at Greenbelt would be ... :mrgreen:

There are many aspects that she shares with many others there. I think the specific combination is less common.

I usually explain that I am a fat, balding, middle aged man in shorts and t-shirt. Which is 90% of the men there. One year I explained that I woudl be wearing a Shroedingers Cat t-shirt. I met at least 2 others in such t-shirts there.
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »

There are many aspects that she shares with many others there. I think the specific combination is less common.

I usually explain that I am a fat, balding, middle aged man in shorts and t-shirt. Which is 90% of the men there. One year I explained that I woudl be wearing a Shroedingers Cat t-shirt. I met at least 2 others in such t-shirts there.

I remember that. It’s impossible to tell you all apart.

There was a time I made myself a Ship’s badge with my avatar for GB. The trouble is that 90% of the time I chickened out of wearing it. I guess the ultimate identifier would be to make a personalised Ship’s t-shirt. 100 posts plus entitled you to order one from Shipoffools Central.

I might have copyright problems with my avatar though.

• MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Pants wrote: »

Yes- they’ve grown a teeny bit since then!

• ... there aren’t many middle aged women who are 4 foot 11 with bum length hair wearing a 1970s Laura Ashley maxi dress ...
    I’ll keep that image with me! I’m fairly non-descript and often invisible - white hair and glasses seems to do that.
  • Jemima the 9thJemima the 9th Shipmate
    edited August 15
    My hair is currently turquoise but it may have faded by next weekend. Have considered a top up but I have to go back to work on the Tuesday...
    I love your t shirt story, @Shroedinger’sCat - in fact I think I remember reading about it on the ship at the time.
    My usual outfits are frocks, tights and boots / trainers. I was pondering wearing the Bring Me The Horizon t shirt which says “Do you wanna start a cult with me?” on the front.
  • My usual outfits are frocks, tights and boots / trainers.
    Someone after my own heart!

• MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    daisydaisy wrote: »
    I’ll keep that image with me! I’m fairly non-descript and often invisible - white hair and glasses seems to do that.

Same here. Well- greying, though someone described it as silver the other day. I think they were just trying to flatter me!

I’m generally very soberly dressed at GB; dark colours do as not to show the dirt or creases, which doesn’t exactly help me stand out.

• My usual outfits are frocks, tights and boots / trainers.
    Someone after my own heart!

:smiley: Here’s hoping I bump into you!
  • LuciaLucia Shipmate
    Is there going to be any kind of shipmeet? A particular time to hang out in the Tiny Tea Tent to greet other shippies or anything like that?
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate

@Pants , I’ve only just twigged that that pic was from a Whightmeet! I think it might have been one which clashed with my birthday. I feel so ancient😢 looking back on it all.

Alien has grown up, but you don’t look a day older!

• Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Lol, Miffy, I was there only once and you were there. She was my next door neighbour on the boat and the cutest thing ever.
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Lily Pad wrote: »
    Lol, Miffy, I was there only once and you were there. She was my next door neighbour on the boat and the cutest thing ever.

Lily Pad, yes, I remember you! I managed a couple of meets, though not the very first one, I think. But the group sent me a signed postcard!

• PantsPants Shipmate
    Did you look through the other pics on Flickr... there were quite a few there!
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Just a couple- it was the group one which caught my eye and I realised where it was taken! :)
  • Oh yes - the snow - I’d forgotten that!
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Oh my goodness, yes! Just had a look through. Brings it all back! (We still have some of the plants we bought from the lavender farm.)

And judging by the date, we must have left our only just 18 year old son at home in sole charge of the dog! Yeeek!

• PantsPants Shipmate
    :smiley:
  • NazianzusNazianzus Shipmate
    Will be there with Mrs N and two little ones. Would love to hear of any shipmeet, but tbh will probably be chasing after wherever our 6yo and 3yo decide to take themselves!
  • jay_emmjay_emm Shipmate
    Is the timetable out and hiding anywhere? (You've got the times by presenter names, but they don't mean a lot and are hard to order)
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    You can download the free app, which has lots of information on it.
    I will be there masquerading as a responsible adult again. The URC tent will have lots of things for all ages and teenagers might well enjoy our cake and debate sessions.
    For someone who doesn't like festivals, I am remarkably disappointed to think this will probably be my last year there as a responsible person.

Here's to sawdust toilets, travel Janes, sleeping in 20 layers of clothes (colleagues already there setting up say it is rather chilly at night), too many burgers, friends, sunshine (I have ordered it in advance) and cooked breakfasts every day for almost a week.
    Miffy wrote: »

@Pants , I’ve only just twigged that that pic was from a Whightmeet! I think it might have been one which clashed with my birthday. I feel so ancient😢 looking back on it all.

Alien has grown up, but you don’t look a day older!

Good grief - it includes the world's most unflattering photo of me - thank you SO much.
    Also a rather small Smudgelet. Those were the days!

• I hope to look at the Faraday Institute work, so I might also see Mr HeavenlyAnnie.
    He is called Matthew and is middle aged, fair and blue eyed. Do say hi if you see him. He is a quantum physicist by background and has his own smart tech start up so likes to talk technology.

• The weather forecast looks good! Hoorah!
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    edited August 23
    I'd like to go to GB one day...maybe I should start a Bucket list just to put it on!! But I'll be 60 next year (how did that happen?!) and I'm not sure my arthritis would welcome camping of any kind!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I know nothing of Greenbelt apart from what I've read here; is it possible to attend the events while staying somewhere civilised and avoiding the camping bit*, or would that be regarded as infra dig?

* Wild horses wouldn't induce me to do camping: I did it once, aged about ten, and that was once too many.
  • The simple answer is yes. You basically book accommodation separately to the event ticket which you can buy either for full festival or just for specific days. You can decide to stay in official or alternative accommodation although with alternative accommodation you are responsible for getting to and from your accommodation. Like you, most of what I know is from this website but I did a quick check at the booking page which is pretty informative.