Greenbelt 2019

2»

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Thanks, Jengie. :)
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    I am now back. And I think it has been my best experience ever.

I do however need to sleep for a month.
    Highlight of the festival for me - Brass Against getting the entire Glade Big Top singing "Fuck you, we won't do what you tell me"

They were so perfectly Greenbelt.
  • jay_emmjay_emm Shipmate
    Sounds ironic.

It's a bit bizarre to see Welby press slated as pro-remain given his comments there. I do think it's a bit of a shame he didn't have something where he/they could have shaped the narrative.

I don't think there were any magic moments, but a few nice enough ones
    Not ironic. They did Killing in the Name. Properly, as a protest song.
  • Brass Against were awesome. Brass covers of RATM songs works much better than one might think. My kids loved them, though that might have been the opportunity to jump up and down shouting “fuck you I won’t do what you tell me”....
    Kid B also loved Dream Nails. I’m an old lady so I love Frank Turner.
    Talky wise I was too hot to face sitting in a tent for much of the time, but did get to Nadia Bolz-Weber’s first talk, part chat to Pádraig Ó Tuama, part plug for her new book, which I loved. Heard Maggie Aderin-Pocock from outside the tent. Jack Monroe was great.
    I did spend a lot of time sitting under a tree near the lawn with a slushy, reading my book or dozing. It was too hot to do much else.
    But for my second ever GB (first being 1994) it was lovely. Even the camping, which I hate.
  • How could I forget Beer & Hymns? It was the only non-negotiable in my programme! :smiley: It was magnificent.
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    I missed some stuff that I thought would be interesting / good (mostly cos I was on shift at the time), but also went to stuff that was interesting / good. I saw / met soooooo many lovely and fab people and generally had a brilliant time. I love Greenbelt.
    edited August 28
    Brass Against were awesome. Brass covers of RATM songs works much better than one might think. My kids loved them, though that might have been the opportunity to jump up and down shouting “fuck you I won’t do what you tell me”....

You say "Kids" and I imagine 6-7 year olds. I presume they might be a little older. Ther mega mosh pit for the second half of their set was a beautiful thing.
    Kid B also loved Dream Nails.

I started watching them, but was still in another place after Brass Against.
  • I seemed to spend a lot of time at Table and in the Hot House, but somehow managed to walk rather a lot too. Highlights were Mike Bernese-Lee, Prophet Sharing, marshmallows on the fire in the Forge, Brass Against, Chainska Brassica, the composting loos, Les Amazon’s d’Afrique, Man’eesh (amazing flatbread with za’atar), Russell Brand (totally bonkers), rhubarb cider, Folk On and a recipe for folk. Now I’ve worked out where everything is it’ll be easier next time.
  • Brass Against were awesome. Brass covers of RATM songs works much better than one might think. My kids loved them, though that might have been the opportunity to jump up and down shouting “fuck you I won’t do what you tell me”....

You say "Kids" and I imagine 6-7 year olds. I presume they might be a little older. Ther mega mosh pit for the second half of their set was a beautiful thing.

Ha, yes, sorry, the kids in question are teens, and Teen A is well versed in mosh pits. :smiley: