Grandparenting

Comments

• It sounds as though it can be a vexed question, names for grandparents. My former jobshare had a bit of a battle on her hands as she insisted on being "Grandma" and so did the other grandmother so they have ended up being "Grandma Firstname" and "Grandma Otherfirstname."

My mum was the only grandmother alive by the time the Nenlets came along so she could have her choice of "Grandma". She was always firmly against "Nanny" ("Sounds like a she-goat").

Google offers some nice options. And I dare say the little ones themselves often come up with their own names. I'm thinking of friends of mine who have ended up as "Ga" and "Grampy."

Nen - looking forward to those decisions one day...
  • Master S - when very young - used to refer to The Dowager and her long term next-door neighbour, Jim*, as Gaga and Dim!

*Jim still visits The Dowager regularly in her care home, bless his heart.

Mrs. S, Grandma (as the Other Grandmother wants to be Nanny - why, heaven only knows)
  • Nenya wrote: »
    It sounds as though it can be a vexed question, names for grandparents. My former jobshare had a bit of a battle on her hands as she insisted on being "Grandma" and so did the other grandmother so they have ended up being "Grandma Firstname" and "Grandma Otherfirstname."

When I was a child, each of my grandmothers was Granny. This didn't seem to cause any kind of confusion. If we needed to disambiguate, then we would refer to Granny Surname, but this was almost never necessary.

I don't actually understand why people are so keen on not having the same name as the other grandparents - surely the experience of knowing multiple people with the same name is rather common.

(In my case, my father and maternal uncle have the same name, which is also shared by two of my mother's cousins. My mother, grandmother, and great aunt share a name. My wife and I each have cousins who are both the same age and have the same name. Christmas in our house required reading the "from" part of the label first, as apart from the small children, every other name in use could refer to more than one person.)
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... When I was a child, each of my grandmothers was Granny. This didn't seem to cause any kind of confusion. If we needed to disambiguate, then we would refer to Granny Surname, but this was almost never necessary.
    Same here - Granny Bain and Granny Mac. My sister is "Granny" to her grandchildren; the "other" grandmother of two of them is "Grandma", and the "other" grandmother of the youngest is "Nana".

It seems to keep everyone happy.

As for repeated names, the older two's father is called David, and they all have two Great-Uncle Davids - D. and my brother.
  • Then there is the woman who was so overwhelmed with joy and happiness on the birth of her first grandchild , that her family said she was “dotty.” It stuck and Dotty she is, more grandchildren down the track.
  • Master S - when very young - used to refer to The Dowager and her long term next-door neighbour, Jim*, as Gaga and Dim!

:killingme: :lol:

Mr Nen's mother died long before we got together and his father married again. This second wife had no children of her own and much wanted to be "Nanny" to the Nenlets, which suited everyone just fine.

Nen - already dotty.
  • mrs whibleymrs whibley Shipmate Posts: 27
    I'm Nanna to my step-grandchildren. Their biological grandmothers who obviously got first dibs are Granny and Nanny Jan. I'm named after both of my beloved late Nannas, one of whom became Nan Pat at some point as voted by a majority of her grandchildren so we all called her the same thing.

My husband is Grandfather. This slightly pretentious moniker was an attempt to have an unpronounceable name that the littlies would make into something cute, and backfired when the first was quite slow to talk, and moved straight from 'mumble' to 'Grandfather' aged 3.
  • I know one who insisted on Grandfather who became Grandduffer by his eldest grandchild.
  • mrs whibleymrs whibley Shipmate Posts: 27
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    I know one who insisted on Grandfather who became Grandduffer by his eldest grandchild.

Sounds well-deserved!
  • My grandmothers were Grandma when married and Granny when widowed. There husband being Grandpa and if we needed to distinguish it was surnames or country. This rarely happened as it only arose up to when I was ten and my sister seven then my South African Grandpa died so South African Grandma became Granny. She was the next to die so at no stage was there two Grannies.

Mum was absolutely adamant that she and Dad were going to be Ouma and Oupa, her family is the South African family so my niece and nephew never had a problem. But because I have an Aunt who shares the same name as me they did for a while refer to her as Granny Jengie.
    My RL name is Elspeth, and when my elder nephew started talking, I was "Auntie Uffuff". Later, when he got some more teeth, I became "Auntie Illspilff". He now has children of his own, but still sometimes addresses me as "Uffuff".

His daughter, on the other hand, managed "Elspeth" at her first attempt - clever clogs!

His son, on seeing me and my sister together, said, "look, two Grannies!" (Although she's six years older than me, we are very alike).
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    My dad's mum became Nicky Nana (named after her cat) - I never knew my paternal grandfather - while my mum's parents were Nana (surname) and Granddad. My mum became known as M'Nan by her scouse grandchildren and Nana by her not-so-scouse grandchildren. She's known as M'Nan by her great grandchildren too!
  • For those of you who enjoy The Intrepid Grandson's pronouncements, he said to me on Sunday morning 'you're always understanding, aren't you Grandma?'

On the downside, he reported to his mother later that day 'I like Grandpa, he's a good grandpa, isn't he? But Grandma's a bit naughty sometimes!'

Mrs. S, still wondering what she did to deserve that!
  • Only two weeks until BabyBoogielet is due! :mrgreen:
  • Oldest Great granddaughter is 10 nearly 11 and making her choices for Secondary school (where did the time go??) GGD no. 2 is 14 months old, has just learned to walk and charges along like a baby rhino (not in size,but in determination) GGD no. 3 is due next Feb, sister for the rhino!! Grandsons are nearly 30 and 28 respectively. To save confusion, I am Granny to one and all!

Hope all goes well with the Boogielet, Boogie!
    The upside of my imminent move to Edinburgh is that I'll get to see my great-niece and great-nephews grow up.

❤💙💙
  • My grandson is also making his secondary school choices, or rather he’s made them as the deadline has just passed. He was 10 just under 3 months ago. My granddaughter will become a teenager at the end of this month. I just hope she stays her sweet self like her Mum did.
  • My daughter thinks her teenage daughter is horrific. I just laugh , as she is just like her Mum.
  • Just like her Mum WAS at that age. She is lovely now!
  • 'We'll always be best friends, won't we, Grandma?'
  • Enkelin (granddaughter) one is due today. I asked my son if the baby is in the right position, he said “She’s locked and loaded” :astonished:

He asked me what I want to be called, the choices are Grandma, Granny, Nana, Omi or Oma.

I decided on ‘Omi’ as it’s the German ‘Granny’. :smile:
  • Eldest grandson will be 18 next month, the day before the election.
    He is registered to vote, but has autism so may decide he doesn't want to, although his parents will have prepared him carefully for the experience.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    Enkelin (granddaughter) one is due today. I asked my son if the baby is in the right position, he said “She’s locked and loaded” :astonished:

He asked me what I want to be called, the choices are Grandma, Granny, Nana, Omi or Oma.

I decided on ‘Omi’ as it’s the German ‘Granny’. :smile:

Best wishes on safe delivery of baby, and good luck with your name. I was going to be Grammy, but ended up Mini. It seems grandchildren are who name you.

• Baby Anuka arrived at 9pm last night and all is well. She weighed a healthy 3600g.

We are over the moon!
  • Boogie wrote: »
    Baby Anuka arrived at 9pm last night and all is well. She weighed a healthy 3600g.

We are over the moon!

Congratulations- wonderful news!
  • Lovely news to hear, Boogie. Congratulations to all.
  • Congratulations @Boogie . Hope it isn’t too long till you get a cuddle.
  • Congratulations! I love the name!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Congratulations @Boogie!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Congratulations, Boogie!! :blush:
    Congratulations, Granny @Boogie! :)
  • Yesterday was Mr Image's birthday. Granddaughter aged 13 called to wish him happy birthday. She told him all about her life, school and sports activity. They spoke for about 15 minutes. Afterward she told her dad that,"Whenever she speaks to one of us she always feels in a good mood, and please could they come for a visit soon and not wait until Christmas."
    Well that has made our week, knowing that 13 is not the age young teens usually want to spend time with the old folk.
    On another note my husband has worn the same aftershave for years, and last year our other granddaughter aged 15 asked him to put some on a piece of cotton so she could take it home in a plastic bag and smell it to remember him.
    My heart is full.
  • That’s lovely GI.
  • That is good to hear @Graven Image . Every time I smell sobranie tobacco I’m reminded of my grandad, and he died in 1962. There is something about smells that seems to evoke memories.
  • How lovely for you all,@Graven Image.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    'We'll always be best friends, won't we, Grandma?'

That's lovely!

And congratulations to Omi Boogie!

That's beautiful, Graven Image.

Nen - hoping that one day...
  • @Graven Image that is wonderful. Just think, @Boogie you have all this to come!

@Nenya - your day will come!

Master S had, as he put it, his daughter all to himself last Saturday (Baby C, born in September). So, he took her to football!

Wales U19s vs. Russia, since you ask

Mrs. S, shaking her head
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited November 2019
    Here is a photo of beautiful little Anuka.

We had a long Skype session yesterday. They are in a suite more like a hotel than a hospital!

We fly out to Heidelberg on the 11th of December for the best Christmas present ever! We are staying until the new year.

My son’s partner is Georgian. So he is speaking English to Anuka and her Mum is speaking Georgian. She’ll pick up German because that’s the language her Mum and Dad converse with each other in.

A trilingual Enkelin! (Granddaughter)
  • What a sweetie. Look at those chubby cheeks.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    What a beautiful wee girl, Boogie!! A blessing in your life!
  • Oh Boogie, she is beautiful, and she has hair I love baby girls who arrive with hair.
  • Gorgeous, Boogie. Many congratulations.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I am jealous - it was months before I grew that amount of hair.

She's beautiful Omi Boogie. Soon she will be running rings around everyone - in 3 languages.
    Aah, Boogie - she's gorgeous! :heart:
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    A word of caution. In my observation, babies raised multi-lingually understand what's said to them (in any of the languages) as quickly as those raised in only one language, but are often a few months slower to speak. But overall it's a great gift to have - and very common in parts of the Pacific Islands. I once knew a six y.o., who struggled for a month or two in school in the language of the new place, but then was fluent in it; it was his sixth language.

As noted upthread, one day per week we routinely look after one of our grandsons (who lives in our town). It's been fun all round, and he feels right at home at our house. As he starts at primary school next year, we look forward to reprising this role with his younger brother, who will then be two y.o. Their parents are very appreciative about this arrangement, but as this story (and commentary on it) indicate, not every grandparent in this position is so fortunate.

For variety, we spent a few days at another city 300km away, with our other 3 grandchildren. Our main role on this occasion was looking after the 3 yo grandson, with his mother and bigger sisters either at school or work or packing for their big trip to join their father who is with his ailing mother on the far side of the world. (He is going with them , but is not old enough to pack for himself!) This grandson is energetic and great fun to be around (except when he gets over-tired). The Sydney aquarium is one of his favourite treats so we spent much of Monday there, travelling in on the double-decker bus, from which he kept up a stream of comments like "crane over there!, yellow van there!". Not to mention running enthusiastically ahead through the aquarium tunnels to get another look at the sharks and other denizens of the sea.

• Now that my grandchildren are getting older, it is more difficult to have much conversation that isn’t monosyllabic. I see the 18 yr old but rarely as she is at college, has a job and a horse; the 14 year old is lovely and doing very well at school, but so teenager- like, always on her phone; the 12 year old is still young for his age and delightful but I rarely have him on his own these days.
    The other 14 year old ( male) will talk non stop about anything and everything and is currently the most interesting. I don't see him often enough.
  • Here is Anuka awake. The sound you can hear is pumpkin soup being made. :smiley:
  • Oh Boogie, she is beautiful, and she has hair I love baby girls who arrive with hair.

She has a Mohican! :lol:

• MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    She's precious.
    She's utterly adorable - those big dark eyes! :heart: