Grandparenting

2»

Comments

• NenyaNenya Shipmate
    It sounds as though it can be a vexed question, names for grandparents. My former jobshare had a bit of a battle on her hands as she insisted on being "Grandma" and so did the other grandmother so they have ended up being "Grandma Firstname" and "Grandma Otherfirstname."

My mum was the only grandmother alive by the time the Nenlets came along so she could have her choice of "Grandma". She was always firmly against "Nanny" ("Sounds like a she-goat").

Google offers some nice options. And I dare say the little ones themselves often come up with their own names. I'm thinking of friends of mine who have ended up as "Ga" and "Grampy."

Nen - looking forward to those decisions one day...
  • Master S - when very young - used to refer to The Dowager and her long term next-door neighbour, Jim*, as Gaga and Dim!

*Jim still visits The Dowager regularly in her care home, bless his heart.

Mrs. S, Grandma (as the Other Grandmother wants to be Nanny - why, heaven only knows)
  • Nenya wrote: »
    It sounds as though it can be a vexed question, names for grandparents. My former jobshare had a bit of a battle on her hands as she insisted on being "Grandma" and so did the other grandmother so they have ended up being "Grandma Firstname" and "Grandma Otherfirstname."

When I was a child, each of my grandmothers was Granny. This didn't seem to cause any kind of confusion. If we needed to disambiguate, then we would refer to Granny Surname, but this was almost never necessary.

I don't actually understand why people are so keen on not having the same name as the other grandparents - surely the experience of knowing multiple people with the same name is rather common.

(In my case, my father and maternal uncle have the same name, which is also shared by two of my mother's cousins. My mother, grandmother, and great aunt share a name. My wife and I each have cousins who are both the same age and have the same name. Christmas in our house required reading the "from" part of the label first, as apart from the small children, every other name in use could refer to more than one person.)
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... When I was a child, each of my grandmothers was Granny. This didn't seem to cause any kind of confusion. If we needed to disambiguate, then we would refer to Granny Surname, but this was almost never necessary.
    Same here - Granny Bain and Granny Mac. My sister is "Granny" to her grandchildren; the "other" grandmother of two of them is "Grandma", and the "other" grandmother of the youngest is "Nana".

It seems to keep everyone happy.

As for repeated names, the older two's father is called David, and they all have two Great-Uncle Davids - D. and my brother.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Then there is the woman who was so overwhelmed with joy and happiness on the birth of her first grandchild , that her family said she was “dotty.” It stuck and Dotty she is, more grandchildren down the track.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Master S - when very young - used to refer to The Dowager and her long term next-door neighbour, Jim*, as Gaga and Dim!

:killingme: :lol:

Mr Nen's mother died long before we got together and his father married again. This second wife had no children of her own and much wanted to be "Nanny" to the Nenlets, which suited everyone just fine.

Nen - already dotty.
  • I'm Nanna to my step-grandchildren. Their biological grandmothers who obviously got first dibs are Granny and Nanny Jan. I'm named after both of my beloved late Nannas, one of whom became Nan Pat at some point as voted by a majority of her grandchildren so we all called her the same thing.

My husband is Grandfather. This slightly pretentious moniker was an attempt to have an unpronounceable name that the littlies would make into something cute, and backfired when the first was quite slow to talk, and moved straight from 'mumble' to 'Grandfather' aged 3.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    I know one who insisted on Grandfather who became Grandduffer by his eldest grandchild.
  • Lothlorien wrote: »
    I know one who insisted on Grandfather who became Grandduffer by his eldest grandchild.

Sounds well-deserved!
  • My grandmothers were Grandma when married and Granny when widowed. There husband being Grandpa and if we needed to distinguish it was surnames or country. This rarely happened as it only arose up to when I was ten and my sister seven then my South African Grandpa died so South African Grandma became Granny. She was the next to die so at no stage was there two Grannies.

Mum was absolutely adamant that she and Dad were going to be Ouma and Oupa, her family is the South African family so my niece and nephew never had a problem. But because I have an Aunt who shares the same name as me they did for a while refer to her as Granny Jengie.
    My RL name is Elspeth, and when my elder nephew started talking, I was "Auntie Uffuff". Later, when he got some more teeth, I became "Auntie Illspilff". He now has children of his own, but still sometimes addresses me as "Uffuff".

His daughter, on the other hand, managed "Elspeth" at her first attempt - clever clogs!

His son, on seeing me and my sister together, said, "look, two Grannies!" (Although she's six years older than me, we are very alike).
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    edited September 20
    My dad's mum became Nicky Nana (named after her cat) - I never knew my paternal grandfather - while my mum's parents were Nana (surname) and Granddad. My mum became known as M'Nan by her scouse grandchildren and Nana by her not-so-scouse grandchildren. She's known as M'Nan by her great grandchildren too!
  • For those of you who enjoy The Intrepid Grandson's pronouncements, he said to me on Sunday morning 'you're always understanding, aren't you Grandma?'

On the downside, he reported to his mother later that day 'I like Grandpa, he's a good grandpa, isn't he? But Grandma's a bit naughty sometimes!'

Mrs. S, still wondering what she did to deserve that!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Only two weeks until BabyBoogielet is due! :mrgreen:
  • Oldest Great granddaughter is 10 nearly 11 and making her choices for Secondary school (where did the time go??) GGD no. 2 is 14 months old, has just learned to walk and charges along like a baby rhino (not in size,but in determination) GGD no. 3 is due next Feb, sister for the rhino!! Grandsons are nearly 30 and 28 respectively. To save confusion, I am Granny to one and all!

Hope all goes well with the Boogielet, Boogie!
    The upside of my imminent move to Edinburgh is that I'll get to see my great-niece and great-nephews grow up.

❤💙💙
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    My grandson is also making his secondary school choices, or rather he’s made them as the deadline has just passed. He was 10 just under 3 months ago. My granddaughter will become a teenager at the end of this month. I just hope she stays her sweet self like her Mum did.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    My daughter thinks her teenage daughter is horrific. I just laugh , as she is just like her Mum.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    Just like her Mum WAS at that age. She is lovely now!