Grandparenting

Comments

• She’s gorgeous, I’ve gone all broody!
  • I can now admit to another cause of my broodiness, and that is that Daughter Erin is expecting her first baby in July. As I thought she’d planned to remain child free I’m surprised and delighted, as are all the family.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Congratulations, soon-to-be Granny Tree Bee!
  • I am loving being here in New Zealand getting to know our Kiwi grandchildren all over again as four years makes a big difference when you are under seven years old and they have changed out of all recognition! A precious time and it is I fear going to be very hard to say goodbye. But for now I am just treasuring every moment 😍
  • We had a lovely afternoon on Saturday, taking all the grandchildren and their parents on a local heritage line for a Santa Steam Special. The Intrepid Grandson's face when Father Christmas gave him his present was absolutely priceless (he'll be 4 on Boxing Day and I suspect is the ideal age for such a treat!) The babies seemed to have fun too, and the adults all got a mince pie and a miniature of Bailey's, brandy or whisky, so it was good value all round.

The Dowager, or Great-grandma as the little one knows her, has for years given me money to buy presents, so this year I thought we'd cut out some of the 'stuff', and Master S certainly feels it should be an annual tradition!

Mrs. S, feeling like a Good Parent

PS so glad you're having fun, @MrsBeaky , and welcome to the crew, @Tree Bee !
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Glad you're enjoying yourself Mrs Beaky. Hope the weather is warmer up there than it is here.
  • Huia wrote: »
    Glad you're enjoying yourself Mrs Beaky. Hope the weather is warmer up there than it is here.

Thanks Huia it is lovely up here at the moment. We took the kids swimming today 😊
  • We are loving our time with little Anuka. She’s a sweetheart and we are all besotted. 💕💕
  • Thanks for the good wishes. A large part of my surprise is that my other daughter, cb, produced her two children early on, so I already have a grandson of 10 and a granddaughter of 13, who is beyond thrilled at the prospect of having a new baby to play with.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    We are loving our time with little Anuka. She’s a sweetheart and we are all besotted. 💕💕

When you get a little grandson, will he be Manuka? Half your luck to have the one you do - we keep dropping hints to no avail so far.
    Gee D wrote: »
    ... When you get a little grandson, will he be Manuka?
    Isn’t that the posh honey you take when you've got a cold? :)
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Also the name of a pleasant suburb in Canberra and of what used be called the native Tea Tree, a flowering shrub used by bees to make the honey.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Piglet, for "posh" read "expensive." The weird thing is that here in NZ early farmers spent a lot of time and energy clearing the land of manuka so they could plant pastures to graze sheep and cattle. Now farmers are busily planting manuka so they can make manuka honey, which is more profitable.
    It's more expensive than ordinary honey, right enough, but it does seem to be quite effective for colds.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    My mother's cousin was in her eighties when I first met her and had a leg ulcer that wouldn't heal. She was always very interested in medical matters and had read about manuka honey (this was before it's use became popular) so she asked her doctor if the nurses dressing the ulcer could use it on her ulcer - he agreed, subject to it being closely monitored at the Medical Centre. The ulcer healed cleanly and well.

I am not a Doctor, and I don't know if it would be suitable in all circumstances, but I would definitely be willing to try it if I had need.

Obviously YMMV
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Anuka is six months old now and crawling. She’s a cheeky sweetheart.

Can’t wait to go and visit them in July. 💕

https://youtu.be/r8217yiZWy4
    Aaahh, Boogie - she's adorable! :heart:
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Oh, what a sweetie, Boogie!!
  • After various trials and tribulations Younger Son & Wife are expecting their second baby in October. They are only a couple of hours drive away, but might as well be on the moon.
    I keep getting teary whenever I think about it - fearing that I may never get to hold the new baby. At least, not while it still is a baby.
    Also desperately missing cuddles with their first, who is three and a half and growing up at an alarming rate.
    I know there are grandparents in a worse position, and feel a bit guilty about indulging in a bout of self-pity - but these are the last little grandchildren we will have, and this precious time is rapidly slipping away.
  • We saw one set of grandkids in the flesh for the first time since Christmas earlier this week. A car breakdown meant that we had an unanticipated overnight stay. Despite the dramas, it was wonderful to have the little ones on my lap for stories, far superior to FaceTime.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    edited June 13
    Can you have a word with Dlet please? Tell him to get on with it, that sort of thing.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    After various trials and tribulations Younger Son & Wife are expecting their second baby in October. They are only a couple of hours drive away, but might as well be on the moon.
    I keep getting teary whenever I think about it - fearing that I may never get to hold the new baby. At least, not while it still is a baby.
    Also desperately missing cuddles with their first, who is three and a half and growing up at an alarming rate.
    I know there are grandparents in a worse position, and feel a bit guilty about indulging in a bout of self-pity - but these are the last little grandchildren we will have, and this precious time is rapidly slipping away.

You need a hug suit!

https://tinyurl.com/ycfzfomm - this link goes to Sky News.

“Couple create 'hugging suit' to see grandchildren during COVID-19
    lockdown.”

Here is a friendlier one! (on CNN) - https://tinyurl.com/y9lra3xq

I can't help thinking that one look at the hug suit would have scared the wee one into fits!

@Roseofsharon - don't even think about feeling guilty. I'm not even a granny (just a great-auntie), and I'm missing being able to hug the kids (especially the littlest one, who's just started to walk).

It wouldn't be natural if you didn't want to give them a cuddle, or worry about seeing the future one (there's a bump in our family too, due in September, and S. has had exactly the same thoughts as you about potentially not being able to see him/her when they're tiny.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    I have a brand new grandson! Born this morning and still in hospital as he is only 4lbs 8oz, though I’m told all is well. His Dad, who is totally overjoyed, is in the vulnerable category so even though my daughter is no longer pregnant I still can’t visit. Hopefully this will change at the end of June. Then I can get a cuddle. With the baby. Though I’m sure son in law will be up for a hug too!
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Congratulations!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    That's wonderful news, Tree Bee!!
  • Tree Bee wrote: »
    I have a brand new grandson!
    Congratulations! Hope you can soon get that cuddle!

• MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    How very lovely, @Tree Bee
    Here's to plenty of cuddles!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Many congratulations @Tree Bee

Lovely news!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Congratulations!
  • Congratulations! Wonderful news!
    Huge congratulations, Tree Bee, and welcome to the world Little Bee! :heart:
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Saw my tiny grandson for the first time today. His name is Eamon after his Dad’s much loved Grandad. He and my daughter are happy to be at home and he is continuing to feed well and put on weight.
    Excellent news, Tree Bee! :)
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    Glad to hear it.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Yay for the Little Bee!
  • Hooray for little Eamon. Keep on growing, little mate.
  • Ethne AlbaEthne Alba Shipmate
    edited June 23
    We have two grandchildren not yet met........
    Something to look forward to, EA! We had a lovely afternoon on Saturday watching my great-nephew Archie toddling around the garden - since lockdown, he's no longer a baby!
  • On Saturday morning we were blessed with an indoor visit from Miss S and the two Intrepid Grandsons - who we were allowed to hug! Partly because all three adults had recently been tested and found negative (hallelujah!) and partly because Miss S and SiL are going to have to go back to full-time employment some time soon. Their reasoning is that the risks of leaving the boys with us are less than those of sending them to nursery/pre-school... so we may get to see them a lot over the summer!

Grandson No. 1 was beyond thrilled to see the new Lego I've been building, Grandson No. 2 was overjoyed simply to *be* somewhere else, but it's brought it home to us how un-baby-friendly our house is - No. 1 was already two when we moved here, and prepared not to wrench the tv off the table, and so on!

Mrs. S, preparing to become the childminder rather than the gardener again :heart:
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    We are in Heidelberg loving our time with our little Enkelin.

My son is trying out the new baby bike trailer. 🙂

(Bought by Omi and Opa, of course!)

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Does Opa have visions of cycling around the Continent with Enkelin in the trailer? :wink:
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    Third grandchild on the way. And really pleased we can see our other two regularly now. This dratted virus has certainly caused problems for generations to get together easily.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    I managed to see my oldest granddaughter yesterday for the first time for months. I drove over( 25 mins, but the furthest I have driven since lockdown) to deliver a birthday card and present. She is currently working in Aldi having started as soon as her college closed at the end of March. She described how some customers just push past her, reach over her whilst she is stacking shelves, or get impatient when she is restocking the sanitising station. Naturally we kept at a good distance, as seeing her is probably the riskiest thing I have done.
    Chorister wrote: »
    Third grandchild on the way ...
    Congratulations! :)
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Chorister wrote: »
    Third grandchild on the way.

And congratulations from us also, along with a large dollop of envy.

• Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    We just had a small reunion with our grandchildren. We have five:

16 year old #1, born to my daughter, female. Lives on West Side of Washington. Growing up fast. Plans on going to university here in Pullman so will probably get to see her more.

16 year old #2 born to my first son, female. Lives with mother in Portland OR. We do not get to see here as much as we would like, but also planning on coming to university here in Pullman. Looking forward to it.

11 year old #3 born to my first son, female. Lives with father and his wife on West Side of the state. She has developed a love of history, especially Russian and WWII histories.

6 year old #4, born to my second son, male. I have spoken of him often. Lives with father and mother in Portland, OR. Just learned to ride a bicycle. Loves to read. He calls my wife by first name because the grandmother on the other side goes by Nana which is close enough to my wife's name.

1 year old #5 born to my second son, female. A very gregarious toddler. Just learning to walk. Is very good with American Sign Languge (pre-verbal).

Third son and wife were married only a year ago, so who can say we might have a couple of more down the line.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    Delighted to get a text from my 19 year old granddaughter thanking me for her birthday money- the first thank you I have ever had from her in writing( of sorts) ever since her mum stopped writing thank you notes on her behalf when she was too young to do it for herself.
    Grown up at last!
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    For my birthday last week, we had all 5 grandchildren present. The two eldest (who had come [legally] from over the state border) helped Granny make the cake.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    For the past few months I have been WhatsApp-ing with 5 year old grandson in Aotearoa~New Zealand. We send one another little pics or clips - mine usually of animals, his usually of Sonic. We add little verbal comments with that function of the App.
    It was his initiative - which I think very clever