Grandparenting

13»

Comments

• She’s gorgeous, I’ve gone all broody!
  • I can now admit to another cause of my broodiness, and that is that Daughter Erin is expecting her first baby in July. As I thought she’d planned to remain child free I’m surprised and delighted, as are all the family.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Congratulations, soon-to-be Granny Tree Bee!
  • I am loving being here in New Zealand getting to know our Kiwi grandchildren all over again as four years makes a big difference when you are under seven years old and they have changed out of all recognition! A precious time and it is I fear going to be very hard to say goodbye. But for now I am just treasuring every moment 😍
  • We had a lovely afternoon on Saturday, taking all the grandchildren and their parents on a local heritage line for a Santa Steam Special. The Intrepid Grandson's face when Father Christmas gave him his present was absolutely priceless (he'll be 4 on Boxing Day and I suspect is the ideal age for such a treat!) The babies seemed to have fun too, and the adults all got a mince pie and a miniature of Bailey's, brandy or whisky, so it was good value all round.

The Dowager, or Great-grandma as the little one knows her, has for years given me money to buy presents, so this year I thought we'd cut out some of the 'stuff', and Master S certainly feels it should be an annual tradition!

Mrs. S, feeling like a Good Parent

PS so glad you're having fun, @MrsBeaky , and welcome to the crew, @Tree Bee !
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Glad you're enjoying yourself Mrs Beaky. Hope the weather is warmer up there than it is here.
  • Huia wrote: »
    Glad you're enjoying yourself Mrs Beaky. Hope the weather is warmer up there than it is here.

Thanks Huia it is lovely up here at the moment. We took the kids swimming today 😊
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    We are loving our time with little Anuka. She’s a sweetheart and we are all besotted. 💕💕
  • Thanks for the good wishes. A large part of my surprise is that my other daughter, cb, produced her two children early on, so I already have a grandson of 10 and a granddaughter of 13, who is beyond thrilled at the prospect of having a new baby to play with.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    We are loving our time with little Anuka. She’s a sweetheart and we are all besotted. 💕💕

When you get a little grandson, will he be Manuka? Half your luck to have the one you do - we keep dropping hints to no avail so far.
    Gee D wrote: »
    ... When you get a little grandson, will he be Manuka?
    Isn’t that the posh honey you take when you've got a cold? :)
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Also the name of a pleasant suburb in Canberra and of what used be called the native Tea Tree, a flowering shrub used by bees to make the honey.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Piglet, for "posh" read "expensive." The weird thing is that here in NZ early farmers spent a lot of time and energy clearing the land of manuka so they could plant pastures to graze sheep and cattle. Now farmers are busily planting manuka so they can make manuka honey, which is more profitable.
    It's more expensive than ordinary honey, right enough, but it does seem to be quite effective for colds.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    My mother's cousin was in her eighties when I first met her and had a leg ulcer that wouldn't heal. She was always very interested in medical matters and had read about manuka honey (this was before it's use became popular) so she asked her doctor if the nurses dressing the ulcer could use it on her ulcer - he agreed, subject to it being closely monitored at the Medical Centre. The ulcer healed cleanly and well.

I am not a Doctor, and I don't know if it would be suitable in all circumstances, but I would definitely be willing to try it if I had need.

Obviously YMMV