Anyone know what is happening in Hong Kong - why the violence?

15678911»

Comments

• Rossweisse wrote: »
    @Columba_in_a_Currach, I have been following the coverage in the Hong Kong Free Press.

@Martin54, reporters are the ones who tell us (sometimes at great personal risk) "what is actually going on and what will be done about it". One cannot have freedom without a free press. Dictators try to stifle the news media; crooked officials love it when there's no one keeping tabs on them. Indifference like yours plays into their hands.

Not my counter. Beware of what you accuse. The only instance of reporting I can think of that ended a war - only after millions had died - was in Vietnam. Any others? Reporting works in the plural West, nowhere else.
  • Keith Murdoch was instrumental in ending the Gallipoli campaign in WW1.
  • Whereas his son...
  • indeed
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host
    Martin54 wrote: »
    Not my counter. Beware of what you accuse. The only instance of reporting I can think of that ended a war - only after millions had died - was in Vietnam. Any others? Reporting works in the plural West, nowhere else.
    There are many, many cases where local reporting has exposed local corruption. (Where I live, one hard-working reporter was responsible for shining a light on a grossly corrupt official; that gentleman is now in a federal prison. Without that reportage, the felon would still be raking in the cash and betraying the people's trust.) It's not all big stuff, but it all matters. Don't dismiss such a vital part of democracy. It's not becoming.

• Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Er: 'Reporting works in the plural West, nowhere else.'. You are in the West I believe? And even here, Malta, Ireland, Italy even Denmark come to mind, the risk can be realised.
    Yes, I am. And there are many brave, outstanding journalists elsewhere in the world working to bring out the truth. Too many have been martyred for their work, like Jamal Khashoggi, but serious journalism is a calling, not just a job. You should know that.
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    That's why I do of course. That's why I read great journalists, reporters, commentators, polemicists since James Cameron, through Bernard Levin, Niall Ferguson, John Simpson, Owen Jones, George Monbiot, Michael Ignatieff, the Hitchens and the greatest of them all Ryszard Kapuscinski. Nothing beats good reporting first and synthesis second.
    Thank you, Martin. (Why didn't you just say so?)
  • You're welcome, Rossweisse. (Seems odd that you would assume otherwise.)
    @Martin54, you are not always optimally clear in your writing.
  • sometimes he is beautiful though
  • With the light behind me I can be quite fetching it's true.

In a naked mole rat kind of way.

And true @Rossweisse. I am no angel, but I'm on their side.
  • naked mole rat... There was a post-apocalyptic computer game set in the USA that featured irradiated, mutated mole rats... trying to remember the name...
  • Fallout3
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Bumping this up

Sounds like the British government is going to allow Hong Kong residents to apply for British passports. That way, there can be legal access to members of the Commonwealth states.

(Double Post)
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Oh man, those poor bastards. The news from the US had temporarily driven this from my mind. I am praying for them.