Ignite - what do you think?

Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
edited August 23 in Ecclesiantics
Ignite is the title of a new-ish Anglican initiative, to set up café-style 'churches' to reach the 'unchurched'. Our neighbouring Diocese, Canterbury, has been doing it for some time;
https://canterburydiocese.org/ignite/

I now hear that something similar is to be set up in the next-door (charismatic evangelical) parish to Our Place, if a suitable candidate for 'Community Pastor' can be found. The idea is, AIUI, to eventually extend the Ignite initiative across the town, so Our Place might need to be involved at some point. Early days yet, obviously!

It all seems like a Good Thing to me, inasmuch as experience elsewhere shows that it can, indeed, reach people who otherwise might not have much, if any, contact with any church, but without impinging on the existing services and congregation.

I'd be interested in anecdotal evidence from knowledgeable Shipmates as to whether, and how, Ignite 'works'. I realise that we can't with propriety discuss the internal affairs of individual churches.

Hosts - please move this as appropriate!

Comments

• Maybe it isn't this way in practice (I have no idea) but from the link you provided it sounds like Ignite has a special focus on not just the unchurched in general but "those living in our marginalised and social deprived communities."

This quote is particularly interesting: "It [Ignite] has something of the BBC’s ‘One Show’ feel about it… because it is full of short, varied, interactive segments. We’ve done it this way, because many people coming to Ignite have short attention spans, or are not well educated and so short interactive, multi-media segments helps to keep their attention and enthusiasm."

This suggests that that Ignite is not just taking inspiration from "I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for solid food." It suggests that traditional worship is elitist and that if the Church wants to be where the poor and marginalized are (ie, where Christ is most present among us), it has to be different.
  • Well it's being done by churches in other denominations -- and has been so for some time. Nice to know our Anglican colleagues are ready to learn from us: we can only hope that they will also extend credit where it is due.
  • @stonespring, yes, I was a bit concerned with the implication that worship has to be different for 'the poor'.

Just because someone happens to be poor, or marginalised, or whatever, does NOT mean that they are automatically uneducated, unintelligent, or inarticulate.

OTOH, traditional worship can be a bit cerebral, or overloaded with words - from a Solemn High Mass with all the trimmings, to a 60-minute sermon by a chap in chinos, waving a floppy KJV Bible.

One could argue (well, from my POV, at any rate) that a simple Taize Prayer service, or perhaps a short Vespers, followed by Benediction, could equally well serve for an 'Ignite' act of worship.

@ExclamationMark, yes, indeed, the concept is nothing new. Just remember that the C of E is only now entering the 21st Century! Whether or not due credit will be given, I couldn't possibly comment...
  • @ExclamationMark, yes, indeed, the concept is nothing new. Just remember that the C of E is only now entering the 21st Century! Whether or not due credit will be given, I couldn't possibly comment...
    A flippant comment as IME there's never any credit given elsewhere as no church other than the Cof E can possibly exist (at least in this neck of the woods and in one Bishop's view).

• PDRPDR Shipmate
    I suppose that this idea is OK provided that they do not do what the CofE so often does which is assume that everyone from a certain socio-economic strata is put off by certain forms of liturgical worship. My own background is working class and at least partly Methodist/Salvation Army, but it was the BCP and chanted Evensong the hooked me in and decided me on Anglicanism.
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    Sounds good as part of a variety of approaches. We are all different. I'm rather partial to Choral Evensong myself. But I also have a weakness for cake.
  • Does the cake come before or after the service? (Hopefully after, as crumbs can stick in the throat and cause an Annoying Tickle).
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    As has been said, similar initiatives are ongoing in various denominations, including CofE. I do sometimes wonder if making an official thing of them, as in this case, might not be the kiss of death for some, and people and churches are better left to get on with their own local variations as seems best. But I hope I am wrong.
  • So do I - and I tend to agree with letting churches 'do their own thing'. In this case, however, there is significant funding from Head Office to pay the 'Community Pastor' etc. (on a part-time, 3 days per week basis). So often, things one would like to do can't be done because of lack of resources... :grimace:

I also have misgivings, as others have expressed, at the apparent idea that 'poor and marginalised' + 'traditional worship' do not mix. IME, this simply isn't true - no one size fits all - and it's a patronising thought, to say the least.

Well, well - early days, as I said, but if a new congregation or two can be built up, then, if it is of God, it will flourish.
  • I found it interesting to hear what the people who use it had to say. Obviously those who were regular attenders were picked to speak, but even so, I thought their views were quite inspiring.

• Well, quite - and if Ignite works for them, then it's working, IYSWIM.
  • Sorry to be a nuisance...IYSWIM?
  • If You See What I Mean.

Apologies - I use acronyms far too freely...
  • Ah, thank you!
  • Or: IUAFTF.
  • I was going to post that, but you got there first (BYGTF)!
  • *sigh*
    :expressionless:
  • Well, if it floats your boat ... (bigger sigh, with beating of chest and rending of garments)
  • Steady on, mind. Isn't 'Ignite' a bit too inflammatory and active?

I can see why they chose the name. 'Deflate' or 'Remain Sat on Backside' don't quite have the same ring to them ...

There's a rather health/wealth prosperity gospel style charismatic church in Manchester called, 'Relentless' which sounds rather exhausting to me.

Let's try some names for size ...

'Irritating'

'Annoying'

'Wearing'

'Restricting'

'Reductive'

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I don't know how the CofE or the Baptists or any other church can go about engaging with the 'unchurched' or the poorer and more marginalised in our societies unless it's by being authentic in whatever way they get involved, irrespective of whatever trendy label they attach to whatever it is they do.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 3
    :lol:

I tend to agree, @Gamma Gamaliel , but I'm prepared to wait, and see how it pans out in this corner of Our Lady's Dowry.

Meanwhile, 'Slightly Irritating, Cuz The Money Could Be Spent Elsewhere' will do...

IOW, I wish some of the £££ could be sent our way, so that Our Place could continue to be a bit more authentic, and involved, than we are at present.

Our local Community Centre, which serves the poor, and marginalised, of our parish, is having a shaky time, and, frankly, I'd love to see The Church™ more involved. Some of the peeps from Our Place are involved with what goes on at the Centre, but our resources are very limited, and there's no way we could fill the gap if the Centre had to close.
    :angry:

• There's a rather health/wealth prosperity gospel style charismatic church in Manchester called, 'Relentless' which sounds rather exhausting to me.

We also have 'audacious' church, which apparently attracts a good lump of the yoot. It sounds a bit Jules and Sandy to me - 'oh, you are audacious' - which I am sure is not the idea. :smile:

I'm very happy for new ideas to succeed how they will. I note that the local RCs with whom I hang out have a very diverse inner-city congregation with a good chunk of younger attenders from not-very-middle-class backgrounds. They seem to handle a full-on mass quite happily, no allowances made. Homilies tend to be short.

• I'm very happy for new ideas to succeed how they will. I note that the local RCs with whom I hang out have a very diverse inner-city congregation with a good chunk of younger attenders from not-very-middle-class backgrounds. They seem to handle a full-on mass quite happily, no allowances made. Homilies tend to be short.

Much the same at Our Place, too, with recent additions to our little flock.
    :grin:

• PDRPDR Shipmate
    My recipe for lower middle class (US) or working class (UK) parishes is to stick to the book, and keep the simple brief and keep the language (but not necessarily the concepts) simple. Other than that I stick with my usual MOTR style, though I am my more catholic leaning up-draggings show through. The other thing is to do a lot of listening because folks have their ways of telling you what concerns them.
  • I don't know how the CofE or the Baptists or any other church can go about engaging with the 'unchurched' or the poorer and more marginalised in our societies unless it's by being authentic in whatever way they get involved, irrespective of whatever trendy label they attach to whatever it is they do.
    Mind you, "authentic" is a somewhat debased word from over usage rather like "passionate" - tried to avoid it by being authentic.

• "Passionate" immediately invokes memories of candidates in "The Apprentice" - and we wouldn't want to go there.

Would we?