Traditional advice that turns out to be right

CameronCameron Shipmate
Following the welcome news that the advice to “use a little wine for the sake of your stomach (1 Tim 5:23) has turned out to be sound -

red wine promotes healthy gut bacteria

- I wondered if shipmates have identified other traditional advice, in the bible or elsewhere, that has happily been proved right by science or experience...?

Comments

• “I should have listened to my mother ...”
  • "Marry a guy who treats his mother well..."
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    "Marry a guy who treats service people well."
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Cameron wrote: »
    Following the welcome news that the advice to “use a little wine for the sake of your stomach (1 Tim 5:23) has turned out to be sound...

My favorite line from the pseudo-Pauline epistles. (On the advice of my internist at the time I was 22, I almost always have red wine with my dinner, as it also helps with anemia. I will forever bless that doctor's name.)

• tclunetclune Shipmate
    There is a wonderful old saying, "A man with two watches never knows what time it is." I spent the early part of my career in real-time software development and came to appreciate how much wisdom that aphorism contained. Many acquisition devices have their own time unit, and no two time units are quite the same. Over time, the units get farther and farther apart, creating a real nightmare for synchronizing data.
  • CameronCameron Shipmate
    @Doublethink I would be tempted to add “...most of the time” :wink:

I guess that @Lamb Chopped and @Lyda have compatible advice. If ever I am in with a chance of marrying a guy, I will be sure to take it on board :smile:

Good point @tclune - I thought I had just one watch, but then I realised there is the clock on my phone, etc...! Fortunately, I have a low-precision occupation...

I have to admit that I thought of you @Rossweisse (since I am a long time lurker!) when I saw the wine story. I also think that your personal example of: “when necessary, be ornery!” has been proven right and should be in the Ship’s book of proverbs...

• "Marry a guy who treats his mother well..."
    Lyda wrote: »

These are certainly both true. I wonder, is there a corresponding one for "Marry a girl who..."?
  • Certainly. Marry a girl who treats service people well (God knows, if she doesn't, she's even worse than the guys, since she's almost certainly been socialized to notice those things). Marry a girl who respects her father--or if she cannot respect him for what he is in himself (for good and sufficient Reasons™), one who at least "respects the office" and is careful in how she speaks of him, treats him, etc.
    Marry a woman who treats everyone with courtesy and kindness. (That works for men, too.)
  • And there ya go.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    Marry a woman who treats everyone with courtesy and kindness. (That works for men, too.)

Is that "traditional advice" or just a good idea? I've heard the two about men before. This one is new to me.
  • Lyda wrote: »

I wish I had done this. My ex was very superior and condescending to servers, cashiers, etc.

• My father's advice was "Look at her grandmother, look at her mother and then take another look at her" (a variant, I think, on the more well-known 'if you want to know what a girl will look like when she’s older, look at her mother'. As the daughter in the case, I cannot possibly comment on whether that turned out to be right!

I hope my suitor would have preferred advice about courtesy and kindness.
  • Looks, schmooks. If that's all he's after, let him go after it--he deserves no better. Meaning no slight on your father, but really.
  • Looks fade. Nasty personality doesn't.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Algernon: “All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.”
    Jack: “Is that clever?”
    Algernon: “It is perfectly phrased! and quite as true as any observation in civilized life should be.”

I would share Jack's scepticism.
  • I have heard, "Women marry men hoping they will change, and are disappointed. Men marry women hoping they will never change, and are disappointed."
  • I think it was Denis Norden the comic writer who said that his father gave him lots of advice, all of which he forgot in later life except for: "Avoid the North Circular (Road)".

Clearly his father didn't know the South Circular ...

Our friend had a couple of ladies who came in to clean her large house. If she had visitors when they were there, they were always introduced by name as her friends. Her (superficially) rough and ready husband continues that practice, knowing what it means to them. They were special guests at her funeral last year.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Looks fade. Nasty personality doesn't.

Nasty personality is frequently exacerbated by age.
    mousethief wrote: »
    Is that "traditional advice" or just a good idea? I've heard the two about men before. This one is new to me.
    I just made it up, but I think it's good advice in any case.

• There's always the "wear clean underwear" advice...
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    The condemnation that was used in the place we moved to in my mid childhood,
    "If you can't be straight, you can't be crooked".

It wasn't being used as a moral concession, a nod in the direction of relativism.
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    I think it was Denis Norden the comic writer who said that his father gave him lots of advice, all of which he forgot in later life except for: "Avoid the North Circular (Road)".

On other drivers, my father always used to say, "be very wary of nuns and men in caps".

• Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Wear Sunscreen. All the other advice has no basis more reliable than our own meandering experience.

But trust me on the sunscreen.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    This is technically an observation, but easily translated into advice...

"People always worry about the wrong things."

• The truth will set you free. In fact I prefer the more modern version... The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.
  • CameronCameron Shipmate
    stetson wrote: »
    This is technically an observation, but easily translated into advice...

"People always worry about the wrong things."
    The truth will set you free. In fact I prefer the more modern version... The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.

Oh yes. These two points of advice made me think: better to “take the red pill” in the long run, even if “you can’t handle the truth” at first...

Cameron (always finding something to worry about, when not distracted by finding apposite movie quotes!)

• Sparrow wrote: »
    I think it was Denis Norden the comic writer who said that his father gave him lots of advice, all of which he forgot in later life except for: "Avoid the North Circular (Road)".

On other drivers, my father always used to say, "be very wary of nuns and men in caps".

Now, that brings back a memory. We lived not far from a convent, and you had to watch out for one of those 1950s Morris Oxford estate cars (the half timbered kind) full of nuns that relied on divine intervention for avoiding cyclists. Definitely also true about men in hats, especially if driving a brown Cortina (sales reps driving a cheap company car).
    ...Definitely also true about men in hats...
    Oh, yes, especially men driving in hats in a climate-controlled car. The. Worst.

• “The gun is good. The penis is evil.” -Zardoz
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    From Hamlet - Polonius, "To thine own self be true". Poppy, my maternal Grandfather, quoted this as a rule of life. He wasn't at all religious, but he knew Shakespeare.

I miss him.
  • Gosh, he must have had a really long life! I mean, I knew a man who met both Bismark and Brahms, but ...!
    Oh, yes, especially men driving in hats in a climate-controlled car. The. Worst.

Can never resist an anecdote - very bad habit - but... Was driving out of Edinburgh one evening and saw in the mirror a brown Cortina, the driver under a pork pie hat, hurtling up behind me at the Barnton roundabout (as it then was), and had the wit to change lanes at the last possible moment, thereby avoiding being the filling in the very loud 3-car sandwich that ensued. I already knew the brown car/hat rule and lived to prove it.
  • Never, ever, accept a lift from someone with a St Christopher medal on the dashboard :grimace:
  • There's always the "wear clean underwear" advice...

The North Man can attest to this. Last month he was feeling a bit stiff after a long haul flight so went to the swimming pool at his place of work in the hope of loosening up. The swim went well, but his back went into spasm as he went to put his trousers on afterwards. As he was conscious, breathing and being watched over by very well qualified first aiders he was a low priority for medical help. He spent four hours lying on the busy changing room floor wearing only his underpants....
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Shipmate
    edited September 4
    "Better oot of the fashion than oot at the queats"
    (Better out of fashion than damage your ankles)

"Ye maun open yer spaver, ye maun open yer pooch."
    (If you open your trouser flies (for sex) than you should also be prepared to open your wallet for child maintenance)
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Rossweisse wrote: »

Down here such drivers had VW Beetles and were best avoided,

• Lothlorien wrote: »
    Rossweisse wrote: »

Down here such drivers had VW Beetles and were best avoided,

What about their mates who drove beige-coloured elderly Volvos?
  • I was told by a friend that cars with fish badges on the back were to be avoided, as Christians make terrible drivers. I have been thinking of adding one to my own vehicles as a precaution against getting rear-ended.

But really I think I've avoided one because I drive at 55mph behind artics and I would just reinforce the bad driving stereotypes for all the rest of you.
  • Yellow cars should be avoided at all costs.

(some time ago it was shown that yellow cars are involved in far fewer RTAs than other coloured vehicles, and the severity of the RTAs which do involve them tends to be less also: result, yellow is the colour of choice for every timorous, twitchy and downright bad driver)
  • you don't tend to get normal cars (for normal people) in yellow these days.
    It mostly seems to be a colour for the smaller, cheaper car (driven by the timourous, twitchy etc from above) or sports cars for the brash, look-at-me driveer who has more money than talent and therefore also should be avoided.
  • I was told by a friend that cars with fish badges on the back were to be avoided, as Christians make terrible drivers.

Some years ago I stalled at a roundabout - the driver behind sounded his horn, and then overtook me and gave me the finger. There was a fish badge on the back. My son wanted to phone the police to report that a rude man had stolen a Christian's car.

• I was told by a friend that cars with fish badges on the back were to be avoided, as Christians make terrible drivers.

Some years ago I stalled at a roundabout - the driver behind sounded his horn, and then overtook me and gave me the finger. There was a fish badge on the back. My son wanted to phone the police to report that a rude man had stolen a Christian's car.

You raised that boy a little too well!
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited September 5
    I was once driving through a London estate which had become notorious for car-jacking and other vehicle crime. It was early evening, still a bit light. The car behind flashed his headlights; there had been tales of people doing this to get you to stop, then committing crime, so I drove on. He flashed again and got closer. I speeded up; so did he. I was now getting more than twitchy, but saw salvation in a petrol station ahead. I swerved into the forecourt; so did he. He got out and came over; I was petrified. He said, "It's so nice to see another Christian on the road, I just wanted to greet you!" He drove off; I can't remember if I told him how much he'd frightened me!!!
  • I won't put a fish on my car; i figure it'll only be noticed when i annoy the hell out of the guy behind me.

There used to be a persistent rumour that the police stopped red cars more often than any other colour. Naturally, this came accompanied with the suggestion that police officers enjoyed a game of snooker, and also with the recommendation to choose a difference colour. White would be a good choice, one assumed.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the modern trend for black / dark grey cars (because sunny days and physics).
  • Personally, I'm not a fan of the modern trend for black / dark grey cars (because sunny days and physics).
    Which is why white and light cars are very popular here in steaming hot central Arizona.

(some time ago it was shown that yellow cars are involved in far fewer RTAs than other coloured vehicles, and the severity of the RTAs which do involve them tends to be less also: result, yellow is the colour of choice for every timorous, twitchy and downright bad driver)

My wife has a yellow car so she can find it in shopping mall carparks. She is anything but timorous, having participated in rallies when she was younger. As I'm presently banned from the wheel due to my recent cardiac arrest, I get to experience her rather leadfooted driving technique on a daily basis. That tends to elevate my pulse rate a little.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    It may be better for your heart were you to go back to driving.