BBCode practice thread

Comments

• Someone else described it as a daisy, in case it's there but you see it as something different from a cog.

Above a post will be a line of text: your name, status (Shipmate) and time. The icon is at the right hand end of that..
    thank you. On Monday the tech chap is coming to do some IE tidying up etc so I'll ask him to see if he can work out what I need to do to make it show. He is fairly familiar with my software by now!

• There needs to be a closing ] after the url address, and an alternative text to be displayed before the closing tag.
  • test
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    testing testing for editing again
  • Ian, the Tech chap has been here today and has put my avatar in, also checked the editing cog thing and the drafts little cross. So I'll have a go at those until I've worked out how to get the mouse in the right place to hover over an invisible something!
  • Why is there an edit area at the top right hand corner of page, underneath the boxes next to my name, I wonder? I have only just noticed it.

Oh dear, and now I've forgotten how to find the link to drafts...
  • The edit area top right is to the personal editing: L to R in order, notifications, inbox / pm system, bookmarks and profile settings.

If you've saved your draft it's to be found in the block just under those icons, as a My Drafts box.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    SusanDoris wrote: »
    So I'll have a go at those until I've worked out how to get the mouse in the right place to hover over an invisible something!
    You don't believe in invisible somethings.

• /cK
    Thank you for your help. Does the drafts line only show when there is a draft in the folder? Because I can't hear that word as I cursor down the boxes. It is not a problem, because Ian deleted the one draft I had .

LeRoc
    True! But since Ian could see the cross and the cog, I KNOW THEY'RE THERE!!! :)
  • SusanDoris wrote: »
    Does the drafts line only show when there is a draft in the folder?
    Yes. Likewise the "My Discussions" one will only appear when you've started at least one thread, and "My Bookmarks" when you've book marked at least one thread.

• Alan Cresswell

thank you. I think I've got it all sorted out now!!
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    edited March 2018
  • ArgonaArgona Shipmate
    Testing testingtestingtesting
  • sabinesabine Shipmate
    I have read through the thread as best I can in my phone with one eye. It appears that there is no handy drop down for url links on Android phones. I've tried doing it myself based on suggestions I've found on the thread but nothing has worked so far. For the most part I have only my phone, and the old format worked well for me. Given my vision impairment, I am now spending way too much time squinting into the preview box trying to figure things out. I suspect I'm not being realistic about my ability to participate in an online discussion forum via phone.

• |:(
  • There are no stupid questions, only stupid people - so please, o kindly hosts, how DO I edit a post? (just made a bloomer over in All Saints, and wish I hadn't) :blush:
  • There's a 5 minute edit window, so unfortunately now too late to edit that particular post.

But, for future reference, within that window there will be a "cog" icon (sometimes called a "daisy") at the top right of your post (at the end of the grey box which has your name in it). Click on that and there will be the "edit" button (which will also show how much longer you have to edit the post).
  • edited March 2018
    Thank you very much Alan!
    (edited to add)
    Oh yes, and there's the daisy! Super
  • LeRoc wrote: »
    Ω
    Trying to quote

Trying again
  • Making a mistake to eedit
  • SusanDoris wrote: »
    LeRoc
    True! But since Ian could see the cross and the cog, I KNOW THEY'RE THERE!!! :)

ROTFL! ;)

• MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    How do I make a link to a post that's on another thread?

• RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Mamacita wrote: »
    How do I make a link to a post that's on another thread?

The timestamp on the top of the post is also a link to that post. Copy that link, or follow the link and copy the address bar.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 2018
  • Practicing links:

Rob Bell's latest

• mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    SusanDoris wrote: »
    Someone else described it as a daisy, in case it's there but you see it as something different from a cog.

Above a post will be a line of text: your name, status (Shipmate) and time. The icon is at the right hand end of that..
    thank you. On Monday the tech chap is coming to do some IE tidying up etc so I'll ask him to see if he can work out what I need to do to make it show. He is fairly familiar with my software by now!

Testing nested quotes.

There doesn't appear to be a way to see to the top of the quoted section on my phone and the box does not scroll.

Edit: if you preview and edit you can see the top but can't add to the bottom of the text.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    balaam wrote: »
    can you delete a post that has been relied to? Testing

This is the reply.

Yes, but it remains in the quote.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    can you delete a post that has been relied to? Testing

This is the reply.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate

• testing hyperlink

commentary
  • italics
  • mdijonmdijon Shipmate
    italics

Testing quotes.
    not italics
    not italics
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
  • MaramaMarama Shipmate
    Having a go at these tricks before I make a mess of starting the thread on this month's book, Precious Bane by Mary Webb. There is an interesting review https://theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2009/mar/10/virago-mary-webb-thomas-hardy
  • MaramaMarama Shipmate
    Partly right. Can't work out how the change the name. Nothing is blue on my computer.
  • MaramaMarama Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    It seems you can download a free copy at [url="https://fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20160904 "]this Canadian site [/url]

That's worse than last time. What am I doing wrong?
  • MaramaMarama Shipmate
    [url="https://fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20160904 "]this Canadian site[/url]

So it works with one link and not the other - odd.
  • MaramaMarama Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    this Canadian site

OK, so it's matter of deleting the extraneous quotation marks. No idea how they got there!
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    One more struggler trying po set up a link to a news story here.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Got it right, thanks to the clear instructions provided by mine host B62 on page 1. But although I guessed that the "double bubble" icon was the key, I'd never have guessed unaided where to go after that.
    I have to say that the old "dialogue" was much more transparent about how to get your own words to go as a placeholder for the link.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    Damn - if all else fails -read the instructions
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    edited April 2018
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    https://scotweb.co.uk/products/the-haggis-whistle/

Nope, the only blue anything here is the cursor!
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Ok, let’s try again
    [url=://https://www.scotweb.co.uk/products/the-haggis-whistle/"]haggis whistle/[/url]
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Groan...
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    Miffy, the links don't go blue here - the fail on your original link was the missing :
    Miffy wrote: »
    Ok, let’s try again
    [url=://https://www.scotweb.co.uk/products/the-haggis-whistle/"]haggis whistle/[/url]
    should be https://www.scotweb.co.uk/products/the-haggis-whistle/
    To embed the code, you need  
    [url=https://www.scotweb.co.uk/products/the-haggis-whistle/]haggis whistle[/url]

But that doesn't look right in code - out of code it shows as
    haggis whistle