Strictly

I couldn't see a thread for this season's series of Strictly Come Dancing to vent my feeling about what happened this week.

IMO the judges tried to meddle it up, to create a bit of drama as up till now this season it's just been the weakest dancer that has left each week....can't have that happening. So they all pretended that David had pulled off some sort of miracle (when in fact he was still the weakest dancer) to try to save him from the dance off. At the same time they had it in for Alex and marked her much lower than she deserved, trying to make her the scapegoat.

But it backfired. Alex got enough public votes to keep her from the dance off (possibly the public like myself were outraged at the way she was being sacrificed so gave lots of sympathy votes). So there were two half decent couples in the dance off which meant one of them would have to go. And it turned out to be Dev (?) Which was really unfair and a shock to everyone. His partner Diane was so upset at the injustice that she just stood there holding him and weeping instead of doing their final dance.

Anyone else agree with my theories? I blame the judges.

Not a fair competition if they decide in advance who to mark up and mark down.

Comments

• CameronCameron Shipmate
    /Strictly fan emerges from behind paso doble cape/

I think that it was a shame to see Dev and Diane go, especially since three couples received lower judges’ scores than them.

So it was the viewer vote that shifted them into the bottom two. There is so much that may influence the viewer vote though: the cute kids / grandparents on VT; the personal adversity angle; the media backstories. It’s often not the best dancer that wins the series, but instead the best ‘journey’.

I think you are right that the show likes a bit of drama/controversy - and the judges scores were quite bizarre on the night. Alongside some of the lower scores, I agree that David was over-marked... and how did Mike Bushell (however nice a chap he is) get a 9?

/hides behind paso doble cape again/

• Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Some strange over-marking IMO, but I always resist the conspiracy theories. I genuinely don't think the judges sit down together and cook up cunning plans to create drama.

I do think David and Mike were over-marked this week, but it's early days and I don't think either will be with us for long.

People get hot under the collar about this sort of thing every year, but most years the right person wins - or at least one of the better ones.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    I was in two minds over this. I like Countess Emma, so I am happy she is still in. But the weakest two were not in the dance off, which is always a problem.

However, with @Gill H it does seem that the best couples end up in the last few. Somehow, this still makes it irritating when the wrong people go too early.
  • BarnabasBarnabas Shipmate
    Little Miss Barnabas (5 going on 35) was most upset. She doesn't really care about the 'celebrities' but Dianne is one of her favourite dancers, along with Janette.
    It should be David & Nadia and Mike & Katya in the dance-off this week... but who knows?

I thought Karim & Amy were the most entertaining. Quite a few couples improving a lot now too - next week should be really competitive. Halloween week is always a bit of a jolly romp, anyway...
    Barnabas wrote: »
    Little Miss Barnabas (5 going on 35) was most upset. She doesn't really care about the 'celebrities' but Dianne is one of her favourite dancers, along with Janette.

Janette is one of my favourite dancers. And I am always partially supporting the disabled celebrities.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Will’s story and dance were very moving.
    I agree, Mike and David should by rights be in the dance off ‘tomorrow ‘.
    I love the shows Alfonso is on, he brings such fun and energy.
    Oh, and I love Saffron’s dress this week and enjoyed Alex’s dance too.
    Not looking forward to the Halloween programme next week, it’s my least favourite of the season due to the gruesome makeup.
  • The music and costumes Mike is given seem designed to get him thrown out.
    He was on the hit list from the start, and was the bookies favourite to be first to go, but he has worked hard (evidenced by his weight loss) and improved a lot.
    If he is kept in he will be given something else undanceable for Halloween week and if so, won't get any further than that
    Barnabas wrote: »

Janette is one of my favourite dancers. And I am always partially supporting the disabled celebrities.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    I say this every year (I am an ex competition dancer and teach). We see what we are allowed to see. That is the way TV works. The judges have a better view than us. For me yesterday the right 2 were in the dance off. Mike should have gone. His footwork was awful his body positioning terrible. Strictly is part entertainment show. So the judges make decisions with that in mind as well as the quality of the dancing. That is why he survived.
    The public is a strange beast and votes can go differently to that expected.
    Dev should not have been in the dance off. This happens every year it is part of the programme. You let the public vote you get mixed results
  • Not thrilled by the introduction of the back story segments ... I'm sure the contestants have delightful grandparents, but they're not dancing for anything other than the fee / enhanced career prospects that doing well will bring. I may have to start taping the thing and fast forwarding ...
    Tubbs wrote: »
    Not thrilled by the introduction of the back story segments ... I'm sure the contestants have delightful grandparents, but they're not dancing for anything other than the fee / enhanced career prospects that doing well will bring. I may have to start taping the thing and fast forwarding ...

I normally start watching about 20 minutes after it starts, via iplayer; I resume from the start but then have up to 20 minutes of fast forward time to use. That helps to avoid the more emetic back story segments. I normally find I have caught up by the normal time for the show to end...

I wonder what else could be used to fill in during set transitions?
  • I do the ironing during Strictly, and use the backstory bits to put the clothes away.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Halloween week is distinctly un-horrific and cartoony in set and costumes.

And the better for it, I think.

• SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I thought it was all a bit flat last night. Maybe because of Will and Neil injuring themselves shortly before the show started. I did like Michelle as Morticia though.
    I agree - it was a bit underwhelming, overall. Pity. The dance off ‘tonight’ could be a bit unpredictable, given how close things are at the bottom of the leaderboard...
  • I still maintain that the judges seem to have a deliberate policy this year of overenthusing and overmarking one particular couple who did poorly the previous week. Now it happened again yesterday but I can't now remember which couple it was....whoever it was did well, but not so well as to be marked above many of the other fairly good couples.

On another note didn't Kevin do well with Alex stepping in at the last minute and having to learn the choreography from her less than an hour before the show! And good job that Neil's costume more or less fitted him. Alex was amazing to be able to deal with this so unflappably (is that a word?!)