Poetry Fragment - can you help me find this ?

I remember a poem, or I remember the feeling of reading it - I’d like to recommend it to a friend & reread it myself but can’t recall enough to find it. So do any SoF recognise this description ...

The poem is repeatedly uses “green” - in every line I think. I think the first line might be “green is the colour of my true love”. Somewhere the poet says her hair was green. Toward the end of the poem, it says something about leaving a green gate open to let her in.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• ECraigRECraigR Shipmate
    edited November 11
    Could it be this poem by Frederico Garcia Lorca? Given that Lorca wrote in Spanish there will be some variations in the translation.

There’s also a traditional folk song that could have been adapted. Hope this helps!
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited November 11
    Another in translation, by Dante: dante poem

I like this version better.

There's a very faint chance it might be this one which is more usually seen in Pound's version, though it has less green in it.

And, of course, there's Andrew Marvell: "Annihilating all that's made/ To a green thought, in a green shade." here

• ECraigRECraigR Shipmate
    You think it could be Pound’s To a River Merchant’s Wife? I very rarely think of that poem as being anything other than a Pound Poem, which is I guess how it’s usually billed. Presumably others with actual knowledge of Chinese have translated it more accurately in regards to the source text.

It’s always good to be reminded of those Dante and Marvell poems, though. Thanks!
  • Well, I’m getting to read some extraordinary poems ! Unfortunately it’s not those though. I do think it’s possible it was a translation as I had a collection of translated poems, which I can’t currently find, and it may have been in there. (But I am not certain of that.)
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host
    edited November 11
    Might the poem be Lorca, Doublethink? Romance Sonámbulo with translation at link.

https://poets.org/poem/romance-sonambulo

Verde que te quiero verde.
    Verde viento. Verdes ramas.

Apologies, I'm struggling to link.
  • Not what you are thinking of I suspect but by a friend Vernacular Green.
  • Green grow the rushes-o?
  • RussRuss Shipmate
    It's not easy...
  • No it’s not any suggested so far :(

But Venacular Green is rather beautiful.

I wish I could remember more than just fragments of it.
  • MaryLouise wrote: »
    Might the poem be Lorca, Doublethink? Romance Sonámbulo with translation at link.

https://poets.org/poem/romance-sonambulo

Verde que te quiero verde.
    Verde viento. Verdes ramas.

Apologies, I'm struggling to link.

I remember reading that one and wondering if my Spanish is terrible or if it really is that trippy ...
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host
    @Ricardus, 'trippy' is the perfect word. I don't know enough Spanish to be able to figure it out.