This advent is fucking shit

BlahblahBlahblah Shipmate
I'm running out of fingers to count how many ways this halloween-to-Christmas period is fucking shit.

Two beautiful, saintly people are cut down by someone they were trying to help.

We are in the midst of a General Election where literally any old bullshit can be promised, any lie spoken any barrel scraped.

The new parliament is guaranteed to be shit, with the balance of power held by a handful of politicians who believe in fairies, or aliens or magic beans. The Tories will throw billions at them to get their support.

Brexit will be unavoidable on Jan 31st and it will be shit. It will be one layer of fucking shit, compact and compressed and ready for another layer of fucking shit to be spread upon it.

Climate change is spinning out of control and it is guaranteed that sweet fuck all will be agreed to do anything about it.

Fu.ck.ing.hell.

Comments

• HelenEvaHelenEva Shipmate
    And my friend's baby was stillborn yesterday which makes it shitter
  • Sad but true
  • Have to say this year's run up to Christmas has a whole other feel to it. Usually, the crapness is about crowds, queues, adverts and trying to do too damn much in a short space of time. But this year it's like every day has to have an additional burden of political crap just to add to the challenge. I fully expect there'll be a picture of fucking Boris Johnson behind every door of my advent calendar.
  • But apart from all that Blahblah, it's not so bad is it?
  • Well as the good book says:
    " For there will never cease to be <fill in the blank> in the land. Therefore I command you, 'You shall open wide your hand to people who are suffering, in your land."

or if you prefer the more self-centred version:
    "The <fill in the blank> you will always have with you, but you will not always have me."

Then go and be nice to someone.
  • Thank you for that, NOprophet_NØprofit.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Well as the good book says:
    " For there will never cease to be <fill in the blank> in the land. Therefore I command you, 'You shall open wide your hand to people who are suffering, in your land."

or if you prefer the more self-centred version:
    "The <fill in the blank> you will always have with you, but you will not always have me."

Then go and be nice to someone.
    Amen.

• 2016 was full of complaints. Trump had been elected, Leave had won the Referendum, and celebrities were dying. Plenty of people were saying they couldn't wait for the year to finish.

I took grim pleasure in observing that in 2017 Trump would be in office, Article 50 would be passed, and undertakers would still be in business. Sadly I was right.
  • Also Amen to NP NP
    But if even just that feels a struggle listen to incomparably wonderful BBC Radio 3 where you will hear a good dose of sublime choral Advent music
  • Yes, that at least is left to us. Radio 3 is the default setting on my car radio, but I turn it off for the 'news' bulletins, which (TBTG) are not frequent.
  • listen on 'catch-up' and fast forward past them!
  • I hope and pray that once the election is over we can look beyond it to the nativity, the carols, and the joy of the season - which after all only begins proper on Christmas Day then lasts for at least 12 days, 40 for some!

Peace on earth and goodwill to all people, anybody?
  • Bah, Humbug!
    :grimace:
  • Advent was always the time when I could finally open up and sing out along with everyone else, enjoying some old and some modern songs, and lots of them. This last Sunday the sound man, in an act of revenge, cranked up the band and crushed the congregation. Advent isn't supposed to be a vision of the gates of hell.
  • O I don't know - there's quite a lot about the Last Judgement in many Advent hymns!

But ISWYM, and sympathise.

I won't go into details, but Our Place is troubled at the moment with various personal issues, along with some of our most loyal members being hors de combat in different ways. Father NewPriest is up against it, but doing his best to keep us on an even keel.

I think we'll all be glad when Advent and Christmas are over!
    :grimace:
    Advent was always the time when I could finally open up and sing out along with everyone else, enjoying some old and some modern songs, and lots of them. This last Sunday the sound man, in an act of revenge, cranked up the band and crushed the congregation. Advent isn't supposed to be a vision of the gates of hell.
    The very concept of a "sound man" in an ecclesiastical situation is nightmarish. Advent was originally a "little Lent," but that does indeed sound hellish.

• Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    The world has been heading downhill for several years.

I fear we are in our final times - not in an escatological way. Just in terms of the fact that we are so shit we are going to trash ourselves.

It is more like a sci-fi end - currently reading Stanislaw Lems Fiasco. In which the lifetime of a technological civilisation is very limited. Because "intelligent" beings are stupid.
  • RussRuss Shipmate
    Once upon a time sci-fi had an upbeat view of the future...
  • Russ wrote: »

Some sci-fi does. Kim Stanley Robinson writes optimistic, though reasonably realistic, sci-fi. The book I'm currently reading by Martin Shoemaker is reasonably optimistic too. Dystopian sci-fi is popular, given the times we're in, but it's not the only show in town. Becky Chambers is writing more in a space opera area but her Wayfarer's series is deeply optimistic and had something deeply (I've struggled to decide on the right word) wholesome about it. Goodness is treated as the norm, badness as an aberration to be worked around, grotesque injustices and crimes as something to be defeated and stopped rather than "the way of the world".
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Russ wrote: »

Oh yes, and Iain M Banks Culture novels were very optimistic (and I loved them). But there are quite a few who take the view that I have mentioned - that the natural flow of a civilisation is to develop technology and then destroy itself.

It is a view that I find more and more reasonable - logically speaking, it seems to be the way we are going.
  • Cromwell had the answer to this one - don't do Christmas to begin with, and therefore don't do Advent. Of course unlike Cromwell we let the secular world have a festival to lighten up the dark end of the year - perhaps we could call it 'Winterval' - but it needn't be a big deal for us, we just get on with the year-round business of preaching the gospel to a world which, according to the news, clearly needs it.
  • Oh no...
  • It seems a dismal thing to avoid your own church during Advent, but we did it again today, and visited a small rural church where you can expect lively music, good musicians, and unusually good preaching. (At our church they had a song called 'Joy to the World/Unspeakable Joy' which sandwiches an old one with with some crapulous modern ditty, and right enough, it's unspeakable - we've heard it many times. I don't know what they did to the others this time, but I wasn't for taking the chance.) So we drove out of town and came home feeling we'd been to church again.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    Guess what song we played for the first time at our shack?

And yes, "unspeakable" is the word for it. But it follows a theme: take a loved, but out of copyright song, stick an extra bit onto it, and kerching! It's back in copyright, and the 'song writer' is now getting royalties on something that's a century old.
  • Went to the Cathedral tonight where the girls’ choir sang the whole of Britten‘s Ceremony of Carols as the Evensong anthem.

First time I’ve been back to church for ages and expected it to be difficult. Actually felt remarkably good and at home (Though absolutely freezing!) Music was wonderful and the rhythms of evensong made reflective space...
    It was good
  • I like evensong at our cathedral, though it's not my tradition at all. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited December 9
    Amongst all the political, and musical (!) shite that's being thrown around just now, I'm happy to report that music at Our Place is, this Advent, mostly fairly traditional, and therefore reassuring, IYSWIM.

Our churchwarden led the singing of The Advent Prose yesterday - if you don't know it, it really is suitably penitential, on a national and personal level!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorate_caeli

Scroll down to Text for the English translation, as found in The English Hymnal.
    We did Advent Lessons & Carols yesterday, and began with the beautiful Judith Weir setting of the Advent Prose. It was a pretty heavy-duty program, musically speaking; the last piece was, incomprehensibly (to everyone but our music director), the ghastly Walton "Magnificat." (After a long rehearsal on Saturday afternoon, church on Sunday morning, a longish warmup on Sunday afternoon, and the actual L&C on Sunday evening, I'm pretty wiped out today. I told some friends that I was suffering from acute Walton poisoning; they burst out laughing. So it's not just me.)
  • Way, way shittier than I could have imagined.

• If you refer to the disaster which has just occurred, to wit, the Election, then yes, I agree.

I am resolved to dip out of all the Christmas services at Our Place, as I don't think I can stand any of the 'joyful' hymns etc. As far as I can tell, there is no god, anyway. Or, if there is, s/he doesn't give a toss for this poor world.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    If you refer to the disaster which has just occurred, to wit, the Election, then yes, I agree.

I am resolved to dip out of all the Christmas services at Our Place, as I don't think I can stand any of the 'joyful' hymns etc. As far as I can tell, there is no god, anyway. Or, if there is, s/he doesn't give a toss for this poor world.

Oh BF, I am very afraid you are right 😭. I haven’t gone out today as I’m so distraught, (living in JRM land I’d be bound to meet a ‘gloating’ person.
  • I am resolved to dip out of all the Christmas services at Our Place, as I don't think I can stand any of the 'joyful' hymns etc. As far as I can tell, there is no god, anyway. Or, if there is, s/he doesn't give a toss for this poor world.

This is exactly what the Antichrist wants you to think. I learned this from Bill Hicks.

Honestly not being flippant here. I've been pondering this today. This is not about God, this is what happens when evil people exploit fear and instability to their own ends. If the Revelation means anything at all in this day and age, it's this inversion of religion as hatred and propaganda.

We live in a sick society. People are being manipulated into voting for evil clowns. But if we can see it happening, we can maybe understand it.

• Doone wrote: »
    If you refer to the disaster which has just occurred, to wit, the Election, then yes, I agree.

Oh BF, I am very afraid you are right 😭. I haven’t gone out today as I’m so distraught, (living in JRM land I’d be bound to meet a ‘gloating’ person.

I, too, am remaining on board the Ark. I would normally lunch at a certain Community Centre, wherein is to be found, on Fridays, a Stupid Old Fart who thinks the Mad Mophead makes a 'bloody good Prime Minister'...I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to restrain myself, and would probably end up in jug...
    :scream:

This is exactly what the Antichrist wants you to think. I learned this from Bill Hicks.

Honestly not being flippant here. I've been pondering this today. This is not about God, this is what happens when evil people exploit fear and instability to their own ends. If the Revelation means anything at all in this day and age, it's this inversion of religion as hatred and propaganda.

We live in a sick society. People are being manipulated into voting for evil clowns. But if we can see it happening, we can maybe understand it.

I did say 'as far as I can tell'. You may be right - I just don't see much evidence for god's 'love' in today's darkling world. That maybe says more about me than about you, I concede.
  • I did say 'as far as I can tell'. You may be right - I just don't see much evidence for god's 'love' in today's darkling world. That maybe says more about me than about you, I concede.

That's because there's not much of it about. And I concede that God picked a deeply inappropriate moment to find me.

• Despite what I've said, I'm going to disagree somewhat, even with myself (post in haste - repent at leisure!).

There is 'love' buzzing about in the world, as evidenced by the various agencies in this benighted town, trying to help the bottom layers of 'society' through these dark winter months.

I'm just not sure how anyone can assert that this 'love' comes initially from a god, or gods. The traditional Advent, and Christmas, story seems, somehow, irrelevant at the moment. At least IMHO.

YMMV.
  • Despite what I've said, I'm going to disagree somewhat, even with myself (post in haste - repent at leisure!).

There is 'love' buzzing about in the world, as evidenced by the various agencies in this benighted town, trying to help the bottom layers of 'society' through these dark winter months.

I'm just not sure how anyone can assert that this 'love' comes initially from a god, or gods. The traditional Advent, and Christmas, story seems, somehow, irrelevant at the moment. At least IMHO.

YMMV.

I guess I'd take a similar position. The following is not an effort to win anyone over, just a bit of thinking while typing, and no apologies for excessive good cheer on this darkest of days.

To parrot Spinoza (which I will try to resist ad nauseam) he who loves God cannot strive that God love him back. In very simple terms, he conceives God as a loving, conscious force, present in and indistinguishable from all of creation, but far too big to be concerned with ourselves as individuals. Spinoza then goes on to say that to know God is to accept God's love as He loves Himself.

That being said, as I understand it, the Advent represents an important step in humanising our relationship with this primal force, which has parallels in the development of Buddhism in the East. It carries with it the significance of the Solstice, marking the change in the season as we bed down for the winter months. A bit like beer in that respect: proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy, with or without the hangovers.
  • I'm glad you mentioned beer, or, as it is sometimes referred to on these boards, ALE.

(The capitalisation indicates the importance of the item to the person posting).

This I understand, and I thank you for your thoughts.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    edited December 13

I guess I'd take a similar position. The following is not an effort to win anyone over, just a bit of thinking while typing, and no apologies for excessive good cheer on this darkest of days.

To parrot Spinoza (which I will try to resist ad nauseam) he who loves God cannot strive that God love him back. In very simple terms, he conceives God as a loving, conscious force, present in and indistinguishable from all of creation, but far too big to be concerned with ourselves as individuals. Spinoza then goes on to say that to know God is to accept God's love as He loves Himself.

That being said, as I understand it, the Advent represents an important step in humanising our relationship with this primal force, which has parallels in the development of Buddhism in the East. It carries with it the significance of the Solstice, marking the change in the season as we bed down for the winter months. A bit like beer in that respect: proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy, with or without the hangovers.

Thank you for your thoughts (and BF’s too), they’re really helping me today. Hopefully, I’ll be able to respond more fully within the next couple of days.
  • Yes, it's taking me a while to assimilate, and to try to come to terms with, the disaster that has IMHO overwhelmed England.

The WHISKEY bottle is already empty, but madness lies down that road (also liver failure). I shall try to be Brave.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    I must admit, I hope Santa brings me fresh supplies of whisky, because I'm verrry close to the bottom of the bottle.
  • I'm expecting a new tea strainer for Christmas. Gifts are to be less than $10. Gave away 100 times that which is fun to say. Doing that another few times. Because you can't take it with you.
  • Good stuff, NP. I'm too scared to give it all away (and it's all I have to last me, since my career ended). But I try to give it more than spend it.

(I bought my own Christmas presents. Not having any looked like it was going to cause some shit).
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Doc Tor wrote: »
    I must admit, I hope Santa brings me fresh supplies of whisky, because I'm verrry close to the bottom of the bottle.

Well, God be praised the Highland Park has disappeared from my wish list, which promises some cheer come 25th. May your drinks cabinets be similarly blessed.
    I need some Highland Park! (The tour of the distillery is a highlight of any visit to the Orkneys...)