Purgatory: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread.

Comments

• About 40 years ago I was at the Good Friday afternoon service at a posh church in New York City. Just before the three-hour service began, a rather unkempt gentleman entered a pew near the front, turned to face the congregation, and called out "HAPPY GOOD FRIDAY!" I assume the ushers kept an eye on him after that, but other than a few Amens during the sermon, he was quiet. He was obviously "not all there," but harmless.

Well, Trump is obviously "not all there," but extremely harmful.

(The church in question is not too far from where Trump Tower is now located, but it was definitely not he.)
  • I love the not all there, the unkempt, etc. I reckon I'm not alone on the ship. I rather think I'm in the majority. What a great story!
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    I love the not all there, the unkempt, etc. I reckon I'm not alone on the ship. I rather think I'm in the majority. What a great story!

Would you like to hear the rest of the story? (Sorry, it's off-topic, having nothing to do with Trump.)

The guest preacher for that three-hour service happened to be my boss at the time. New York City was in the middle of a two-week transit strike -- no busses, no subways. So my boss nicely invited me to meet up with him after the service, and we could share a taxi (his treat). Before catching the taxi, however, he decided to go the very nice candy store across the street (not Godiva, that was across the street in a different direction). As he was piling up loads of rather expensive candy for three children, our "Happy Good Friday" friend shuffled into the store. The saleswoman looked a bit concerned, but then our friend recognized my boss: "Hey! You're the preacher man!" My boss greeted him warmly. It was interesting watching the saleswoman -- here was someone who was obviously not a customer and might be a bit of trouble, but then again here was a very good customer, in a clerical collar, who treated him as a friend. Our friend wandered off, my boss made his very large purchase, and we were able to catch a taxi.
  • Awesome. :smile:
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »

Well, Trump is obviously "not all there," but extremely harmful.

Actually, I do not think there is much psychologically wrong with DJT. He's just an armchair philosopher, elevated via inherited wealth and the power of TV, well above his level of competence.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Can someone ask trump when was the last time he went to church and what the lesson was?

A friend just sent me this link: Trump Wishes Everyone A ‘Happy’ Crucifixion Day

:lol:

According to that link, Trump got laughed at for referring to "two Corinthians". That would be normal in the UK; is it not in America?
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    The US custom is to say, if you abbreviate at all "Second Corinthians ...". So I think Trump was showing ignorance of that custom. What bothers me is not how he labels scripture but whether he has actually read it and thought about its application to him personally. Particularly this? (2 Cor 4:7)
    We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

Trump shows zero comprehension of his own fallibility, his fragility. He doesn't do humility. Or admission of error. And so he doesn't do truth.
  • I guess it's still early over the other side of the Pond, but has the devoutly Christian president made it known which of his buddies' mega-churches he plans to visit today?
    :naughty:
  • Not the Church of Fools, I should hope.
  • Indeed - though is he not the High Priest of a Church of Fools?
    :innocent:
  • I can't imagine calling any organization he belongs to a "church".

As a matter of fact, the fartletter-in-chief will be attending a **virtual** service conducted by one of his principal you-know-what kissers and Faux News contributor Robert Jeffress
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    To be fair most congregations don't like it when any U.S. President is a regular attendee. The security precautions are a real inconvenience. First, the entire building has to be emptied of people one hour before the president arrives so that the bomb-sniffing dogs can give it a once over. Then the congregation has to enter the building through metal detectors. Secret Service sharpshooters are placed on the roof and armed Secret Service personnel are stationed at each corner of the worship area. As you can imagine this is a less-than-inviting atmosphere in which to conduct services.

So most congregations would be happy to host the president once or twice a year, but as weekly thing it would get old really quick.
  • I wasn't being entirely serious!
    :wink:

I guess the same (or something similar, albeit perhaps more discreet) happens when the Queen attends worship.

Whether Boris ever goes to church, I know not...
    :innocent:
  • I can't imagine calling any organization he belongs to a "church".

As a matter of fact, the fartletter-in-chief will be attending a **virtual** service conducted by one of his principal you-know-what kissers and Faux News contributor Robert Jeffress

Alas, the link to the service didn't work for me (though maybe I should be thankful for that.... :grimace: ).

• The link is to a news article reporting the fact. I was tempted to locate the link to the service and watch it, but I couldn't stand even being on the same bandwidth, let alone in the same room, as you-know-who.
  • I quite understand, Miss Amanda.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... I guess the same (or something similar, albeit perhaps more discreet) happens when the Queen attends worship ...
    It's standard practice when a senior Royal is in attendance for an Army sniper to be in place nearby; it used to annoy us if we had a member of the Royal family* at a service in Belfast and the news item would always start with a close-up of said sniper and the words "security was tight in Belfast this afteenoon ..."

* It was usually the Duke of York, as he's the Commander in Chief of the Royal Irish Regiment, who have a chapel in the Cathedral and have their annual Remembrance service there.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited April 2020
    Back in the 80s (remember those pre-Plague, pre-Trump, pre-Johnson days?) I was at a service at a certain London church for the opening and dedication of their refurbished crypt as a day centre for the homeless.

HM the Queen, no less, was present, and, although I didn't spot a sniper, the Security Peeps were certainly in evidence. Not in a threatening way, but evident, nevertheless.

(Quite BTW, another guest was the composer Donald Swann, who had written the words and music of a song especially for the occasion. I very much regret that I failed to obtain his autograph on my service booklet).
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    The American government indeed seems to be more overprotective of its president. After all, in my lifetime alone John F Kennedy was assassinated, Robert Kennedy was killed while running for the Democratic nomination. Someone tried to assassinate Gerald Ford while he was in office. And Ronald Reagan was shot. I do not think any other leader of a NATO country has had that many assassination attempts in the last seventy years. Moreover, in every case I can think of, going back to Lincoln, the one common denominator has been the use of guns. So, ya, we are a little overprotective.
  • Perhaps if I had the time and energy to look into it I could come with some attempts, but the only NATO assassinations that I can think of are Aldo Moro (former PM, 1978), and Isabel Carrasco (governor of Leon, 2014). There was a German justice minister in the 1970s, Red Army Faction victim. I'll look up later. But Gramps is right, NATO is mostly safe. Unless you're American.
    By leader, I meant the current head of state or the prime minister of a country. Curiously, I cannot think of any attempt to assassinate a member of the United States cabinet.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    By leader, I meant the current head of state or the prime minister of a country. Curiously, I cannot think of any attempt to assassinate a member of the United States cabinet.

Me neither. But there have been attempts on members of Congress.

Gabby Giffords, a member of the House from Arizona, was shot and almost killed nine years ago (six other people nearby were killed). Gabby was expected to run for the Senate; now her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, is the Democratic candidate in next November's Senate election.

Then three years ago, several Republicans from both chambers were shot at while practicing for a charity baseball game; one member of the House was severely injured.

There may well have been other incidents, but these are the two I remember.
  • Dave WDave W Shipmate
    Congressman Leo Ryan was killed in 1978 in while trying to help people leave Jonestown, Guyana, just before the massacre.

Also, Robert F. Kennedy and Huey Long were both senators when they were assassinated. Wikipedia has a list.
  • The level of political violence in the USA well justifies the steps it takes to protect its leaders. Lets not forget that it is not just sitting politicians who are murdered for political reasons. It is one of the tragedies of the place.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited April 2020
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    The level of political violence in the USA well justifies the steps it takes to protect its leaders. Lets not forget that it is not just sitting politicians who are murdered for political reasons. It is one of the tragedies of the place.

The curse of Revolution? John Adams to MLK's killer to Timothy McVeigh to ......
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Gramps49 wrote: »

William Powell attempted to assassinate Secretary of State William Seward. This is often overlooked in the historical record because of Powell's more successful co-conspirator.
    In the western Unforgiven, Richard Harris plays an English contract-killer who travels the US in the wake of the Lincoln assassination bragging that, due to the mystique surrounding royalty, no one would ever dare try to kill a monarch.

It has been pointed out by critics of the film that there were at least six attempts on the life of Queen Victoria.
    The level of political violence in the USA well justifies the steps it takes to protect its leaders. Lets not forget that it is not just sitting politicians who are murdered for political reasons. It is one of the tragedies of the place.

The curse of Revolution? John Adams to MLK's killer to Timothy McVeigh to ......

Doesn't explain the relative lack of assassinations in France, whose Revolution was much bloodier than the Americans, and which actually killed a king.

The only C20 attempt to kill a French leader that I can think of was the plot by the pro-imperialist officers to take out De Gaulle over Algeria, which contrary to the movie involved only one attempt and no paid hit-men. Going by their political stance, I would guess the plotters were not big fans of the Revolution.

• BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Why are they televising tRump’s tantrums?

How long will his staff and advisors hold the line, when it becomes clearer every day that he’s falling apart?
  • EutychusEutychus Shipmate
    My money's still on him in 2020.
  • stetson wrote: »

Doesn't explain the relative lack of assassinations in France, whose Revolution was much bloodier than the Americans, and which actually killed a king.

The only C20 attempt to kill a French leader that I can think of was the plot by the pro-imperialist officers to take out De Gaulle over Algeria, which contrary to the movie involved only one attempt and no paid hit-men. Going by their political stance, I would guess the plotters were not big fans of the Revolution.

The French Revolution failed.
    stetson wrote: »

It's too soon to say.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Dave W wrote: »
    Congressman Leo Ryan was killed in 1978 in while trying to help people leave Jonestown, Guyana, just before the massacre.

Jackie Speier was his aide back then, was shot, and survived. She's now in the House herself.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    edited April 2020
    Croesos--
    Crœsos wrote: »
    Gramps49 wrote: »

William Powell attempted to assassinate Secretary of State William Seward. This is often overlooked in the historical record because of Powell's more successful co-conspirator.

Thanks for confirming that. I had bits of it rattling around in my mental attic.
  • ... NATO is mostly safe. Unless you're American.

I'm surprised at the reticence I feel about bringing this up - 'not mentioning the war' has saved and will save lives in this / these country / ies - but there was this.
  • well, yes indeed... and the rest.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    In the western Unforgiven, Richard Harris plays an English contract-killer who travels the US in the wake of the Lincoln assassination bragging that, due to the mystique surrounding royalty, no one would ever dare try to kill a monarch.

It has been pointed out by critics of the film that there were at least six attempts on the life of Queen Victoria.
    I don't think the film presents the Duck of Death as a reliable authority.

edited April 2020

It's too soon to say.

Which is actually a misquote, Zhou was talking about the May 68 protests. (And anyway, it would be kind of odd for someone who subscribes to the Marxist view of history to be agnostic about the French Revolution.)

As for whether it actually did fail, well, it still forms the inspiration and basis for much of French politics and culture, everything from their anthem to Marianne to religious policy to the very fact that, despite various forays into monarchy and bonapartism, they usually revert to republicanism. So, at the very least, I would say it is a pretty major inspiration.
  • Dafyd wrote: »

Yes, it's a weird criticism that a braggart has got something wrong.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Eutychus wrote: »
    My money's still on him in 2020.
    I hope you are wrong.
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory

I think I'm right in saying only one MP has been murdered in the UK, and no PMs. Has anyone ever thought about changing the gun laws in the States?
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    Spencer Perceval was assassinated in office, by a bankrupt businessman who blamed the government.

I think I'm right in saying only one MP has been murdered in the UK, and no PMs. Has anyone ever thought about changing the gun laws in the States?

In addition to Jo Swinson in the pre-brexit buildup, I believe two of the five people killed in the Brighton bombing of 1985 were MPs, and the rest were all deeply involved with governmemt one way or another. And it seems pretty obvious that the bombers were trying to take out a Prime Minister.

And the M'Naghten Rule of insanity defense fame is named after a guy who tried to shoot Robert Peel, but hit someone else instead.
    Dafyd wrote: »

Yes, it's a weird criticism that a braggart has got something wrong.

I do not think we are supposed to regard the character as a hero, or even accept his analysis of why no one supposedly ever tried to kill a British monarch.

However, it's not clear from the script that the writers were even aware that there had been attempts on the life of Victoria. Usually if someone meant to be understood as unreliable gets a fact wrong, and the fact is not something widely known to the audience, the writers will include a scene where someone else corrects him.

Note: I did limit my historical reference to the members of NATO, meaning during the existence of NATO. Yes, there have always been assassinations and assassination attempts ever since there have been governments (heck, some of my ancestors were involved in that during the War of the Roses).
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate

A couple corrections. First, the film is set in the wake of the Garfield assassination, not Lincoln's. Second, English Bob claims that not only would a monarch's majesty protect them from anyone wanting to assassinate them [video clip], he also claims that in the event someone actually did nerve themselves up to do it their hand would shake so badly that they'd inevitably miss [also video], which would explain (in the mind of English Bob) all those failed attempts.

No, actually--you wicked creature. :wink:

But in your own vein--as far as I am aware, not a single MP has been murdered in the US, and no PMs either. So there. :lol:
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate

Prime Minister Spencer Perceval was assassinated in 1812 and is to date the only Prime Minister of [Great Britain / the United Kingdom] to be assassinated.