St Fagan's Meet - 15th March - please note change of date!

DarllenwrDarllenwr Shipmate
edited February 6 in All Saints
Once again, Gwerin Gwent (the Welsh dance music group with which I play) have been invited to play at The Welsh Folk Museum, St Fagan's, Cardiff, on 14th March. We have been asked to perform 2 sets at, as far as I remember, 11:00 and 13:30, though these times may yet be subject to revision.

As an added bonus, the hope is that the Blaenafon Dancers will be joining us, so there will be music and dance at one and the same time.

Well, that's the plan - and we all know what happens when plans run into real life...

Anyway, Priscilla and I will be there for the day - would anybody be interested in meeting?

Comments

• Dear Hosts,

After a fortnight with no replies, I guess we can agree that this thread is a dead duck! Please feel free to dump it overboard.

Thanks.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Oh, I have only just seen it!

I might be able to make it. Hold on a bit...
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'm happy for it to stay open a bit longer. :)

Piglet, AS host
  • Thanks, Piglet.

It is something of a snag that unless people reply, it is hard to gauge whether there is any interest.
    Would it help to put a more specific geographical location in the title?

(Speaking as a non-local).
  • I don't think it's necessary: those in the area will pick it up fine.
    Fair enough.

I'll add the date - I know it's not for a wee while, but if people are aware of it they can mark their calendars.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    I've not been on the Ship much lately - busy moving from That London back across to the correct side of the Severn Bridge.

I am now within reasonable reach of St Fagan's again (although not having a car means it will probably involve going into Cardiff and getting a bus).

I would love to come to this!
  • My apologies, Piglet. Being (relatively) local, I failed to consider that "St Fagan's" won't mean much to anybody not from South Wales. Baptist Trainfan has the point exactly - anybody living within 50 miles of Cardiff would know the place immediately - and I must admit that I didn't imagine that either Gwerin Gwent or Priscilla were going to be enough of a draw to bring anyone more than 50 miles!
  • Change of Plan.

Owing to a certain minor sporting event on the same day, the recital by Gwerin Gwent has been moved to the same times the following day, 15th March.

Dear Hosts, could you possibly modify the title of this tread to reflect the change? Thank you.

In other news, I can confirm that we will have the Blaenafon Dancers with us performing as we play.
    Darllenwr wrote: »
    Dear Hosts, could you possibly modify the title of this tread to reflect the change? Thank you.

Your wish is my command.

Piglet, AS host

• Piglet, thank you very much!
  • I'm afraid this one looks to be doomed. As some will be aware, Priscilla is in hospital at present. It is looking increasingly probable that she will still be in hospital on 15th March. I will still be playing with Gwerin Gwent and the Blaenafon Dancers will still be strutting their stuff, but this is really not the stuff of shipmeets as I will not have much time to be sociable throughout the day.
    Sorry to hear that, Darllenwr - wishing Priscilla all the best for as speedy a recovery as possible!
  • DarllenwrDarllenwr Shipmate
    Just for the record, Priscilla made it to the St David's Day concert in Cardiff today - the medical team in the hospital agreed to her absence in view of the fact that we already had the tickets. We are hoping they will feel as generous about the concert on Thursday evening (our son's 30th birthday) for which we also have tickets!

The lead Physiotherapist described her (prospective) adventures as, "A landmark moment" - if all went well, it would give everyone a good idea of Priscilla's possible discharge date. It is possible that it will be before 15th March, but Priscilla herself is not pinning any hopes on this.

So, if anybody was thinking of coming to St Fagan's on 15th March, it is beginning to look possible that Priscilla will be there to meet you. Watch this space - I will post updates as soon as there is anything useful to report.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Can't make it now it's Sunday I'm afraid. But would love to see you at some point. (And have now figured it out - I still think of Priscilla by her old Ship name!)
    My apologies for the confusion - when we moved over to the new ship, for some reason it would not accept "St Gwladys" - seemed to think the name was already taken.

Once she is out of hospital, we will have to make arrangements to meet, preferably on a Saturday!
    Priscilla told me this evening that there is now talk of her being released from hospital "towards the end of next week" - in other words, after 15th March. There is realistically no prospect of her being at St Fagan's on Sunday. So, as I said some time ago, the musicians will be there and the dancers will be there (always assuming that the event is not called off thanks to corona virus), but I will not be in any position to be sociable.

Ship Meet cancelled, I think.
    Well, we were there on Sunday, playing our best. I have to say that the weather did nothing to help us in the morning - the rain simply teemed down, which made shifting my gear from the car to the building a lengthy and very wet business.

For the most part, we played to audiences of 3 or 4 people, though there were maybe a dozen during our afternoon set. So it goes.

Dear Hosts, feel free to dump this thread over the side.
    Your wish is my command. Sorry to hear your music was under-appreciated!

Thread closed.

Piglet, AS host
This discussion has been closed.