Shiny new digs!

jbohnjbohn Shipmate
edited February 2018 in The Styx
Just a note of "hey, this Ship is so clean and shiny!" ;-)

Thanks to all for getting it put together. What a massive lift!

Comments

• I want to give a shout-out about how much better it works on my cell phone. Very pleased!
  • mousethief wrote: »
    I want to give a shout-out about how much better it works on my cell phone. Very pleased!

That was a large part of the point of getting new boards :grin:
  • Wow - it is all bright and clean!! Thank you.
  • Hey! I'm here! And I never even fell in the water on the way across.

Many thanks to everyone who has made this happen. Having been involved in a few software installations in my time, I know how stressful it can be.

(Used to be Oscar the Grouch)
  • Oooh it's got that lovely new ship smell!
  • Hey! I'm here! And I never even fell in the water on the way across.

Many thanks to everyone who has made this happen. Having been involved in a few software installations in my time, I know how stressful it can be.

(Used to be Oscar the Grouch)
    Like the associations between the names RtF :smile:
  • Testing out posting from my phone.
  • Works pretty well. Yay!
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Very nice indeed! I made it aboard without a ducking.

Same username, but I took the opportunity to change avatars. Ezio Pinza has gone. (I used the alias Ezio in one of the Mafia games many years ago, but I don't know if anybody ever got it.)

The new one is of Chaliapin, in the role of the Old Believer leader Dosifei in Mussorgsky's Khovanshchina. ( I said that to test UBB.)
  • This is nice. And that from a non-techie. Even reduced a pic to get it under-size.
  • Pretty nice upgrade.
  • LuciaLucia Shipmate
    Just to say I swung across and landed here! Looking forward to finding my way around!
  • You've redecorated!

I don't like it.

(Spot the quote...)
  • It looks great! xxx
  • Love the new ship! Coming aboard and uploading avatar was smooth. Thanks to all who made this possible.
  • Mmmm......nice
  • Loving my new cabin.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    basso wrote: »
    ...The new one is of Chaliapin, in the role of the Old Believer leader Dosifei in Mussorgsky's Khovanshchina.

Good choice! (As for Dosifei, I'll never forget marching into the flames with him, Marfa, et al.)

Rossweisse // I'm not dead yet

• Oooo, cushy pillows! :) {bounce}

Thanks to everyone who made the new Ship possible! :notworthy:
  • Erin would be proud.

How long before we can start regaling the young'uns with stories about sailing on the first ship?
    ...How long before we can start regaling the young'uns with stories about sailing on the first ship?

Let's give it a couple of months, at least.
  • We should at least wait until we have some members who didn't come over from the old hull.
  • cliffdwellercliffdweller Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    So far the only thing I'm missing from the old vessel is the snarky auto-comments whenever one posted, over-posted, or edited

The clean fresh look makes up for it (but I'm reciting "now go wash your hands" in my head)
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    I love the new logo at the top of the page!
    I miss the snarky comments, too. I think my favorite was the one that came with using Preview.
  • Yay - avatar has transferred nicely. I would have been sorry if that had required painting over....
  • Climacus wrote: »

I think it looks very 1960s. Like the logo in the beginning credits of some nautical-themed sitcom.
  • One thing I do like very much is how easy it is to go "back" to a previous screen after posting. No more scrolling through five screens just to get back to the Hell or Purgatory page. One click and you're back. Nice!
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Climacus wrote: »

I think it looks very 1960s. Like the logo in the beginning credits of some nautical-themed sitcom.

Has nobody else but me tried mouseovering it yet?
  • Eutychus wrote: »

Has nobody else but me tried mouseovering it yet?

Not everyone has a mouse these days!

I added that as a nice, seafaring touch, I thought. And the menu's are quirky too. I hope these are fun additions and not distracting or bothersome. There's more quirkiness on the new website too!
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but is it ever nice to be able to narrow the window and have everything still be visible. Currently have two windows open and am enjoying watching a show on one and checking out the new posts here on the other.
  • MamacitaMamacita Kerygmania Host
    Joining in the chorus to say I like the new look very much, and it is so much easier to use on my phone. Plus, the navigation between pages is much improved. Thank you to all who worked on this!
  • MothMoth Shipmate
    Well, that was easy! I like the shiny new ship!
    Eutychus wrote: »
    ...Has nobody else but me tried mouseovering it yet?

I didn't try; I accidentally did, on the first day. Very nice!

• Well done all. So impressed with the job you’ve done.
  • QohelethQoheleth Shipmate
    Rossweisse wrote: »

... and the menu bar :)
  • Well done all. So impressed with the job you’ve done.

Thanks. It’s been quite the journey to get to this point.
  • I’m new to my iPhone and find it interfaces far better with this than with the old coal-fired vessel. Many thanks for a LOT of effort for precious little material reward
  • It really is all rather impressive.

However, it smacks of Sorcery, or even Necromancy, and ITTWACW!

IJ
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I love how you now can quote two people easily within the same post. And how the new Ship handles nested quotes.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Hey, I started a thread and it shows up in My Discussions. Kewl.
  • LeRoc wrote: »
    Hey, I started a thread and it shows up in My Discussions. Kewl.

That's what My Discussions is for :mrgreen:
  • AmyAmy Shipmate
    sionisais wrote: »
    I’m new to my iPhone and find it interfaces far better with this than with the old coal-fired vessel. Many thanks for a LOT of effort for precious little material reward

I’m posting on my phone now. Better phone support is the biggest advantage of the new site IMO!
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I'm on a terribly slow internet connection that often disconnects, so for me the draft saving thingy is very good. On the Coal-Powered Ship (we still need to settle on a name for the previous incarnation, don't we? :) ) I'd always have Notepad open and copy-paste to that regularly to have a back-up; this is much better.

Saving a draft can take a while for me, often more than a minute. During this time, some things won't work. For example if I want to have a preview or do this @-thing to link to a Shipmate, I need to wait until draft saving is finished.

I guess all of us have to get used to having several posts in our "My Drafts" folder that sometimes pop up when we want to write a post. But for me, the advantages are far bigger than the disadvantages.
    (we still need to settle on a name for the previous incarnation, don't we? :) )

I call it UBB!Ship. The fact that I do so makes it virtually certain that nobody else will!
    I just call them Old Ship and New Ship: easy to remember, self-evident, and fewer keystrokes than (for example) "Coal-Powered Ship."
  • A slightly belated but heartfelt thank you for all who have put a lot of hard work into the new Ship. Looks great, works nicely on a range of devices.
  • ChelleyChelley Shipmate

Qoheleth wrote: »
    Rossweisse wrote: »

... and the menu bar :)
    What does it do? I’m on a phone and am intrigued!
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I used the bookmark system for the first time today, and so far I like it.
    I used the bookmark system for the first time today, and so far I like it.
    What does it do? I haven't tried it.