Rossweisse
RIP Rossweisse, HellHost and long-time Shipmate.
Please see the thread in All Saints remembering her.

Children's and young peoples' songs for St David's Day.

Can I pick your collective brains? Like I guess many of you (especially in Dragonland), I'll be holding a special service on St. David's Day. But I'm a bit stumped for suitable music as far as the young people and children are concerned (I've got plenty of more traditional stuff). Have any of you got suggestions of appropriate songs I could use, perhaps on the theme of "saints" etc.? Thanks.

Comments

• The only one that springs to my mind is that good ol' favourite When the Saints go marching in.

Here's a version (for children) with a verse I hadn't come across before:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=giiK_lYsR0Q

The Big People would probably enjoy this one, too!

Actually, if you go to YouTube and enter 'childrens songs about the saints', there's quite a variety, some of which may - or may not - be suitable. The usual caveat about copyright applies, of course.
  • Actually, if you go to YouTube and enter 'childrens songs about the saints', there's quite a variety, some of which may - or may not - be suitable. The usual caveat about copyright applies, of course.
    I've done that and found it strangely unproductive - the songs I've found aren't really suitable for church (or else they are invocations to David, which we Don't Do). Thanks though.

• I Sing a Song of the Saints of God?

(Yes, I know—no explicit reference to St. David.)

• That had crossed my mind, certainly, and I've used it in the past. But these days it tends to evince sniggers and giggles. What I'm really after are simple "worship songs" but they seem to be thin on the ground (or projector screen).
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    stetson wrote: »

Er ... no!

Believe it or not, I am old enough to have seen that poem anthologized, without bowdlerization, in a respectable children's book. I think it might have been pubished a few years before I was born, early 60s or so.

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 18
    @Baptist Trainfan - this may not be exactly helpful, but could you (or a member of your congregation) perhaps compose a suitable extra verse, say, for When the Saints go marching in ?

Given that WTSGMI seems to be in the public domain, there may haply be no copyright issues!
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    Or new words which will go to one of the well- known wonderful Welsh hymn tunes? Perhaps picking up on whatever qualities of St David you wish to emphasise?
  • Thanks - however what I'm really looking for is something simple and upbeat, not a hymn (I've got several possibilities for them already).
  • You'd think it would be fairly easy to find something suitable - have you tried your local primary school, to see what they might have in their repertoire?

I admit that they may not have anything specifically Christian, though...
  • This is the only hymn I know that's associated with David, but not sure it's especially suitable for young people. You might find the fourth verse inappropriate for your congregation! The suggestion that it be sung to the tune of Danny Boy allows a certain Celtic unity as well as anticipating St Patrick later in the month 😃

http://kpshaw.blogspot.com/2013/12/p1183.html
  • Thank you. You'll be interested to know that we celebrated St Patrick's Day last year, as it fell on a Sunday.
  • Appropriate, as Patrick may well have been Welsh and is associated with one of the oldest Christian site in Wales on Anglesey at Llanbadrig (roughly translates as 'parish of Patrick')

Surprisingly, Patrick wasn't a cousin of David, unlike, it seems, every other Celtic saint 🤔
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    A quick search produced this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoFDlrTTiP0
  • I found that one, but deemed it unworthy of serious attention...!
    :flushed:
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    I understood that worship songs pitched at children (if that isn't a tautology I don't know what is) were what was desired.
  • Yes, but it seems that they are hard to find, in relation to Dewi Sant, at any rate.

The song @Amos linked to might well be suitable, if only it were not for the dire, and dismal, tune...YMMV, of course.

I guess it might be possible to use the words, and to borrow a cheerful tune from somewhere else!
  • Yes, but it seems that they are hard to find, in relation to Dewi Sant, at any rate.
    I've written to a local (primary) teacher I know to see if she has any suggestions.

• When I was growing up we generally sang Welsh folk songs in school on Dydd Dewi Sant. I can't think of any worship choruses that would suit ...

As for not invoking Dewi Sant, why not give it a go? I do it all the time and the sky hasn't fallen in ...
  • Try 'Oes gafr eto'.

Nothing to do with Saints and church but it's fun to sing and the kids would enjoy it.

I must be honest, I do find it odd that a Baptist church is making a big deal about St David's Day, even in an attenuated day. St Patrick's Day is easier as you've got St Patrick's Breastplate and Celtic-y sounding hymns like 'Be Thou My Vision'.

From my Baptist days all I remember on a Saint's Day would be a short reference in the sermon - or an allusion to the rugby results ...

Low Anglican churches aren't any more mindful of these things of course.

Go on, be a devil. Find a hymn to St David and chuck it in for devilment.

Failing that, fall back on Max Boyce.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    It took us a bit of time to teach our Kentish school Oes gafr eto to sing as farewell to one of the teachers. Not sure there's enough before the day.
  • But did the earth move as at Llanddewi Brefi (and yes that's a real place!)

The dearth of hymns honouring St David in a nation famed for its singing and hymnody reflects the strength of the traditions of Calvanistic Methodism and other nonconformists for whom saints, even the home grown variety, are probably off limits.
  • I must be honest, I do find it odd that a Baptist church is making a big deal about St David's Day, even in an attenuated day. St Patrick's Day is easier as you've got St Patrick's Breastplate and Celtic-y sounding hymns like 'Be Thou My Vision'.
    Well, although 'legally' we're Baptist we actually think of ourselves as 'ecumenical' and would have been constituted as such had it been legally possible in 1967. We did St Patrick last year (as he fell on a Sunday), as a Parade Service in fact. We did "Be thou my vision" but I felt that the Breastplate (which I like) would be a bit too difficult.

• Robertus L wrote: »
    But did the earth move as at Llanddewi Brefi (and yes that's a real place!)
    I would prefer the church floor to stay level, thanks!
    The dearth of hymns honouring St David in a nation famed for its singing and hymnody reflects the strength of the traditions of Calvanistic Methodism and other nonconformists for whom saints, even the home grown variety, are probably off limits.
    An interesting point. There is in fact some modern Welsh worship music but we're an English-speaking congregation. We may well finish with "For Wales our land/Dros Gymru’n gwlad" and I'll put up the words in both languages.

• That's a fine hymn ( I've only heard it sung to Finlandia)

O! crea hi yn Gymru ar dy lun/Create a Wales in your own image

I also like that you get to call God 'Dad' in the Welsh version 😃
  • There is one the local primary school sang at every Eisteddfod -'Dyn Da oedd Dewi'. It's in both English and Welsh and there are plenty of versions of it on Google and YouTube. I can't help with printed music but it will be somewhere!
  • Our Catholic school sang an ancient hymn called 'O Great Saint David'. However, I doubt that it would appeal to modern kids. It didn't do much for us back in the 70s!
  • Robertus L wrote: »
    That's a fine hymn ( I've only heard it sung to Finlandia)
    Me too.

• There is one the local primary school sang at every Eisteddfod -'Dyn Da oedd Dewi'. It's in both English and Welsh and there are plenty of versions of it on Google and YouTube. I can't help with printed music but it will be somewhere!
    I'll look for that.

• Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    edited February 21
    How about Little drops of water. I did a search on St David and found out that he apparently told his followers to 'do the little things I do'. That set my brain buzzing but I had in the end to google this hymn.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 21
    Yes, a nice simple hymn/song, suitable for Big People, and Small People.

It goes well to the tune Pastor Pastorum, which we sing at Our Place to the metrical version of the Nunc Dimittis Faithful vigil ended, but I expect there are other tunes which fit.
  • Had a scout around the internet for resources to do with 'Dewi Sant'. This lot look quite colourful, it may be a poem but even so could be set to music quite easily?? https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/wl-t-038-st-davids-day-song-display-poster
  • Thanks. I think I've got that, not sure yet if I'll use it. I've been in touch with a local Primary Teacher I know and she's going to look up some stuff for me when she gets back to school tomorrow.