Satan Sunday

Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
edited February 22 in Kerygmania
Skipping over Ash Wednesday, moving into the first Sunday of Lent--Satan Sunday, we have
Matthew 4:1-11 New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness

4 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a] by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'”

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Note: how the third temptation is not like the other two. The first two have the tempter say: "If you are the son of God..." The last one does not.

What is the significance?

Comments

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    The first involves Jesus in using his own power to satisfy the basic human need for food; despite his being the Son of God, he is also human. The second uses the Son to tempt the Father. But the third involves a use of what Satan holds out as his to give.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    This wouldn't be a homework question, would it?
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    And to expand a bit on the last part - the third temptation is one to which we are all open. Just give in a bit to temptation and Satan will reward us with a new car, or a date with a beautiful girl. None of us would jump from a tall building trusting that the Father would catch us, or believe that we could turn a stone to food. But we are all at risk of the third.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    <snip>Note: how the third temptation is not like the other two. The first two have the tempter say: "If you are the son of God..." The last one does not.

I don’t know, @Gramps49, what are your thoughts? And what is the significance of Matthew ordering them differently from Luke (4.2-12)?
  • Somewhat parenthetically, I rather like the term 'Satan Sunday'.

Alas, it's not my turn to preach... :grimace:
    Gee D wrote: »
    And to expand a bit on the last part - the third temptation is one to which we are all open. Just give in a bit to temptation and Satan will reward us with a new car, or a date with a beautiful girl. None of us would jump from a tall building trusting that the Father would catch us, or believe that we could turn a stone to food. But we are all at risk of the third.

This.

• For the last 1800 years, the first Sunday in lent has dealt with the Temptation of Jesus. You have to admit, the title of the thread got your attention.
  • As I said, shame it's not my turn to preach!
    :flushed:
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    For the last 1800 years, the first Sunday in lent has dealt with the Temptation of Jesus. You have to admit, the title of the thread got your attention.

The question is, who's preaching in your shack on that date?
  • An interview-sermon sort of thingy would be interesting with His Satanic Majesty answering questions as to his motives etc. etc.

Such a service would probably have to be held outside, and not in a consecrated building, otherwise HSM might be incommoded.
  • I'd pay good money to see that.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    edited February 25
    A movie that comes very close to this Satan is The Devil's Advocate(1997) staring Al Pacino as Satan and Keanu Reeves as the aspiring lawyer, Kevin Lomax. It certainly deals with the third temptation. A line I remember was Kevin Lomax saying
    It's better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.

The movie does take off from Milton's Paradise Lost.

Getting back to the Gospel lesson, I have preached on this several times. Each time I have done so I always tried to look for something I had never seen before, and the thing that jumped out at me this time was the third temptation did not have the phrase: "If you are the son of God..." For me, it just seemed that the tempter is realizing he has been defeated in the first two temptations and is making a desperate attempt in the third one. He ends up claiming to be the ruler of the world, though he is not.

What does Jesus' do, he blows Satan off, "Go away, Satan..."
  • MagianMagian Shipmate Posts: 23
    He ends up claiming to be the ruler of the world, though he is not.

But at the time he must have been the ruler of the world, otherwise he could not have been cast out later in John 12.31: now is a judgment of this world, now shall the ruler of this world be cast forth (YLT).
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Magian wrote: »
    He ends up claiming to be the ruler of the world, though he is not.

But at the time he must have been the ruler of the world, otherwise he could not have been cast out later in John 12.31: now is a judgment of this world, now shall the ruler of this world be cast forth (YLT).

I would say the writer John considered him a FALSE ruler of the world.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited March 19
    Isn't it possible that Satan doesn't use the phrase for the third temptation because being the Son Of God is not a prerequisite for worshiping the Devil? But that this is more just a matter of basic logic, rather than trying to make a theological point?

If you're so smart, help me with my calculus homework.

If you're so smart, name all the wives of Henry VIII.

Buy me lunch, and I'll introduce you to some hot babes.

Pretty obvious, I'd say, why the last request contains no reference to the person's intelligence: you don't need to be particularly brainy to buy lunch.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    stetson wrote: »
    Isn't it possible that Satan doesn't use the phrase for the third temptation because being the Son Of God is not a prerequisite for worshiping the Devil? But that this is more just a matter of basic logic, rather than trying to make a theological point?

I think it's deliberate, as it the one temptation of the three to which we are all susceptible.