Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I wonder if Mango Mussolini would have been so quick to condemn the killings if he'd known that one of the victims wasn't white?
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    The guy with the bone spurs just said only weak people get PTSD. He should know.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Despicable.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    A US telejournalist named George Stephanopoulos with, I think (or used to), some ethical standards and sense, spent 30 hours in the Menace's company, distilling it all down to a 2-hour special that aired Sunay night. I watched nearly 30 seconds of it. I cannot bear the sight or sound of that man. I know it's wrong of me, but I keep hoping he'll be felled by his dementia, or hamberdlers, or covfefe, or something.

I cannot imagine spending 30 minutes with that oaf.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Dementia can be very slow, with just small signs for years. It can also sped up dramatically and suddenly.

It happened with my Mum when she suddenly started taking all her clothes off in public. :dizzy:

I don’t wish that on tRump.

Wait - yes I do!
  • I don't wish it on the rest of us, esp if he starts disrobing in public. Fully clothed, he's a hideous enough apparition.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    I don’t wish it on him. I just wish he would be forced to resign. I will stick with that.
    Keep your nose out of our business Donny.
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    I've been trying for a while now to pin down who it is that The Donald reminds me of. Now I know. Henry VIII, in his old age, megalomaniac syphilitic stage.

• If (Heaven forbid!) Trump started disrobing in public, his followers -- who consider him the Emperor -- would just admire his new clothes.
    :fearful:
  • Sparrow wrote: »
    I've been trying for a while now to pin down who it is that The Donald reminds me of. Now I know. Henry VIII, in his old age, megalomaniac syphilitic stage.

Only three wives to go...
  • don't think this guy human man <insert something rude here> reminds me of anyone, he reminds me only of himself - which he'd probably think is just great because he's the uniquest and geniusiest and whateverest.

You may have seen this, which is not a bad version of the original Once in a Lifetime (Talking Heads). God, I hope it's once and once only. May he be excised from world like a cancerous polyp from the lower intestines of the world. And not too much bleeding. Amen.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    Dementia can be very slow, with just small signs for years. It can also sped up dramatically and suddenly.

It happened with my Mum when she suddenly started taking all her clothes off in public. :dizzy:

I don’t wish that on tRump.

Wait - yes I do!

Will the Republicans claim that a sitting President cannot be indicted for public indecency?
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Er, that should be "arrested," not "indicted."
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    If (Heaven forbid!) Trump started disrobing in public, his followers -- who consider him the Emperor -- would just admire his new clothes.

My thoughts exactly.

But what a hideous prospect! Is Trumpolini orange all over ?
    :flushed:

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    If (Heaven forbid!) Trump started disrobing in public, his followers -- who consider him the Emperor -- would just admire his new clothes.

My thoughts exactly.

Eeuuw. I haven't finished dinner yet, and need to unsee that image.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    The Cheeto would have to be quite far down the dementia path for Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 of the Constitution to be asserted.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Lyda wrote: »
    The Cheeto would have to be quite far down the dementia path for Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 of the Constitution to be asserted.

Do you have any evidence he isn't?
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Nope. I'm not a doctor. Are you?
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.

If he takes a pill, probably. If he uses a cream he will be extremely pale underneath, hopefully a bluish hue.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    I heard a really really awful Trump joke from Frankie Boyle which I naturally found extremely funny. It is one of those jokes that gets more awful and incisive the more you think about it, but those with taste or delicate constitutions may not wish to see it.
    Trump has so much compacted meat in his colon that when he takes a dump it is technically an abortion.
  • Someone needs to call him a miserable little shit directly. It can be a reporter or a politician. It's time isn't it to disrespect the office because of the man. As in "you are a miserable little shit of a man", "to have done <list offensive thing here, choose any one of many>" "and you need to STFU already". It doesn't matter of its treason or anti your constitution. Some one needs to punch him in the throat with strong words, shut this blowjob of a man right up. Grab him by the figurative nuts he doesn't possess and pull him to his knees. Strike him with the rod of truth right between the nipples. He needs to cry like a disgraced televangelist, begging for forgiveness. Then kick him into jail. Preferably in an overcrowded non-air conditioned border refugee centre. The world cheers. Ice cream for everyone!

Can't wait for the musical. It'll be heavy metal. Thrash.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    Someone needs to call him a miserable little shit . . . to have done <list offensive thing here, choose any one of many>.
    This exactly.
  • someone needs to scream his mafia connections from the rooftops. I know Hill was trying to go high, but from this side of the election I don't understand why it wasn't done directly by his opponents.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Possibly because he has Mafia connections
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    One is reminded of an episode of Derry Girls ”Sure, so and so's not been expelled, and she's in the IRA!" "Do you not think that might be *why* she's not been expelled?"
  • HE HAS SET UP CONCENTRATION CAMPS.

Where are the people who were on the women’s march, why aren’t we seeing domestic protests on the level of Hong Kong ? What the ever living fuck is going on with everyone-who-is-not-a-trump-supporter ?
  • Eh? Do you have a link re camps?
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Eh? Do you have a link re camps?

Unless I am mistaken, Trump has actually boasted of having such things. His supporters think the world of him for the camps and think nothing of the deaths of refugees. Then again, that probably increases his standing in their twisted vision.
  • It’s of a piece with children in cages, pre-school children being required to instruct their own lawyers, the prosecution people giving water to folk in a desert.

Never again is now.

This sort of thing will become more common, and then it will become policy.

ICE are already saying things like this, and look who Trump is choosing to appoint as spokesperson about this.
  • Thanks, all, for the clarification.

The despicable monster trump will soon die (in the natural course of events), as do all tyrants, and then perhaps those responsible for electing and supporting him will come to their senses at last.

Too late, alas, for those whose lives he (and they) have ruined...
    :rage:
  • What I don’t get is that half of voters voted democrat. Why are they not on the streets about this like the protestors in Hong Kong ? Why are people not going ballistic about this ? Is this not the situation where you call a general strike, where you camp on the streets (unless you are a safety critical person like a paramedic etc) - if not now then when ?
  • jbohnjbohn Shipmate
    What I don’t get is that half of voters voted democrat. Why are they not on the streets about this like the protestors in Hong Kong ? Why are people not going ballistic about this ? Is this not the situation where you call a general strike, where you camp on the streets (unless you are a safety critical person like a paramedic etc) - if not now then when ?

Some of it is apathy. And exhaustion. We're tired from 2+ years of this shitshow.

Some of it is fear of economic loss. When a large number of American families are living paycheck to paycheck, a general strike means going hungry, losing homes, etc. It's not that no one cares, but that they can't sacrifice their families to do it.

Some of it, I suspect, is fear of violence. We know for a fact the MAGA-ts and alt-wrong are heavily armed, and at least a subset isn't opposed to or afraid of committing violence to support their Dear Leader. Me, I've got a toddler at home - I'm not looking to get into situations where getting killed is a possible outcome, thanks.

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    Why are people not going ballistic about this?

When we see Congress, especially the Senate, doing nothing about it, we conclude that there's nothing we can do. Everyone who has refused to appear to testify, or who has ignored a subpoena, from the utterly despicable B*rr on down, belongs in jail NOW! Contempt of Congress is meaningless unless the full House votes on it and the penalties are enforced.

The Democrats, for whom many of us have voted ever since we became of voting age, are proving to be a huge disappointment. The candidate the Democrats finally put forward to stand for President must be scandal-free and scandal-proof to survive any possible onslaught by you-know-who and his henchmen. Unfortunately Biden doesn't qualify. Which of the others does?
  • But at what point would you ? How bad does it have to get ?
  • Thanks, all, for the clarification.

The occasion of the current prominence of camps in the news cycle was AOC pointing out the parallels with concentration camps, whereupon a bunch of people lost their shit.
  • What I don’t get is that half of voters voted democrat. Why are they not on the streets about this like the protestors in Hong Kong ? Why are people not going ballistic about this ? Is this not the situation where you call a general strike, where you camp on the streets (unless you are a safety critical person like a paramedic etc) - if not now then when ?

These things are happening very far away from most of us (two thousand miles, maybe, from our main population centers), often in rural areas where there aren't a lot of eyewitnesses. For those who don't want to believe it could happen in our country, it's very easy to ignore. I'm not saying "out of sight, out of mind" is right or moral by any means, but compartmentalization worked on the Germans too.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    Thanks, all, for the clarification.
    The occasion of the current prominence of camps in the news cycle was AOC pointing out the parallels with concentration camps, whereupon a bunch of people lost their shit.

Not "parallels", the fact that the U.S. is running facilities that fit the definition of concentration camps. Specifically the mass detention of civilians without trial, to quote AOC on the matter.

Historian Eric Rauchway put up a Twitter thread going into detail (as much as you can on a Twitter thread) on this point.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    It’s of a piece with children in cages, pre-school children being required to instruct their own lawyers, the prosecution people giving water to folk in a desert.

Never again is now.

This sort of thing will become more common, and then it will become policy.

ICE are already saying things like this, and look who Trump is choosing to appoint as spokesperson about this.

Actually, I believe the children are no longer allowed lawyers; toddlers are now expected to represent themselves in court: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&amp;rct=j&amp;q=&amp;esrc=s&amp;source=web&amp;cd=12&amp;cad=rja&amp;uact=8&amp;ved=2ahUKEwiW76S_5PXiAhWStlkKHcn7CI4QFjALegQIABAB&amp;url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/06/27/immigrant-children-deportation-court/739205002/&amp;usg=AOvVaw2B9lTdOU44TEVwbQz8oNb8

In answer to your larger question, extreme discrimination against brown people has now been normalized; many US citizens do see these migrants not as legitimate asylum-seekers but as lawbreakers; the southern US Southern border is distant from most US population centers (especially liberal ones); mass protests at the border would be expensive, time-consuming, and probably dangerous, costing many people their jobs, homes, and possibly freedom. Officially, 50 million Americans live below the poverty line. https://policy-practice.oxfamamerica.org/work/poverty-in-the-us/?hsa_tgt=kwd-318046474&amp;hsa_grp=63081102608&amp;hsa_src=g&amp;hsa_net=google&amp;hsa_mt=b&amp;hsa_ver=3&amp;hsa_ad=284792059196&amp;hsa_acc=8955072673&amp;hsa_kw=poverty in the united states&amp;hsa_cam=1490296257&amp;gclid=CjwKCAjwuqfoBRAEEiwAZErCsrKnNcGm_jLU9Fn-JZoBUorqyFByKiOMDICdkmYQtHeJvQJDEPgyphoCZ7AQAvD_BwE

This measure does NOT take into account the fact that the official "poverty line" is badly out-of-sync in many states with actual current living costs, so the real percentage of people in poverty is likely substantially larger. Those with the resources to protest are, or believe themselves to be, benefiting from the current situation.
  • I fear what is happening in the US, in part, because I fear this is where the Brexit party and its fellow travellers will drag the UK. And the lack of reaction in the populace is very worrying @chrisstiles are you ok with this, if so, why ?
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    I'm wondering about the influence of the American carceral state on the lack of public reaction. The American public has already accepted large scale imprisonment on a mostly unprecedented scale.
  • I fear what is happening in the US, in part, because I fear this is where the Brexit party and its fellow travellers will drag the UK. And the lack of reaction in the populace is very worrying @chrisstiles are you ok with this, if so, why ?

No I'm not - not sure what I said to make you think I was. To be clear 'losing their shit' was a reference to all the folk who are now on social media and the press claiming that there's no similarities between the camps in the US and historical examples of concentration camps (though their history usually doesn't extend further back than WWII).
  • OIC - that makes more sense, I had misread who you though were being unreasonable.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    My shit is so lost that I almost forgot having shit. My vulnerability to be kicked out of the country - without my family - is a big limiting factor.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    @RooK I keep rereading that last sentence you wrote and I can't put the words together to express my dismay and sadness. This is where we are now, as a country. It was never supposed to be like this. And yet.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Mamacita wrote: »
    @RooK I keep rereading that last sentence you wrote and I can't put the words together to express my dismay and sadness. This is where we are now, as a country. It was never supposed to be like this. And yet.

And yet . . . and yet . . .
  • It's funny, I was recommending a poem of Langston Hughes for the course we were editing at work today--a course intended for people in Trump stronghold country. And re the camps--I was up early bothering senators on the subject and making threats to their re-electability based on my status as a Republican. They say that every letter etc is reckoned to represent the views of 100,000 other constituents who never bothered to speak up. I can only hope that what I said will look to them like the first tiny crack in the fucking "base" they worry so much about.
  • ["Lamb Chopped;c-157710"] -I was up early bothering senators on the subject and making threats to their re-electability based on my status as a Republican. They say that every letter etc is reckoned to represent the views of 100,000 other constituents who never bothered to speak up. I can only hope that what I said will look to them like the first tiny crack in the fucking "base" they worry so much about.[/quote]

I heard the same thing from The Episcopal Lobby, when I visited them in D.C. They say if you sign your letter with your faith affiliation they tend to believe a large number of your faith feel the same way. So when ever you contact your elected officials make some kind of connection with a larger body of voters.

• I think one of the major reasons why people who abhor the Administration's policy on refugees is the fact that in, what, 18 months, they will have their chance to vote the bum out.

I think that's a major difference to the situation in HK. Also, in HK the extradition law puts everyone at risk of personally being extradited to the mainland. That's not the case for Trump's camps. That's not for Americans.