Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Various:

--San Francisco is still a sanctuary city. And since the governor is both liberal and former mayor of SF, I doubt that will change.

--I mostly just want T out of office, legally and non-violently, and am not particularly focused on trial and imprisonment for him.

But

I think it's high time to get the kids out of "detention"; give them appropriate care (including medical and psych); get their grownups (if they came with any) out of detention, reunite them, and...I'm not sure where they should/can go, but someplace safe. And, of course, get any non-parental/-guardian adults out of detention, too.

Then

Leave the detention centers exactly as they are--poop, bad air, mess, etc. Lock T up in one for a year. Food pushed in through an outside window. The kids are lucky to get a shower a week, AIUI; so turn on the shower piping once a week for 5 minutes. Etc., etc. Basically like when slum tenement owners are sentenced to live in their own buildings.

The worst of his minions can go into the other detention centers, and any Congressfolk who have supported the detention centers while knowing the conditions.

Some deals might be made with minions who are ready to spill the beans about *everything* to do with T, immigration, detention centers, etc.

That'll do, for a start.
  • Nice one.

The only problem I can see is that his hamberdlers, ice cream, and covfefe, might not take kindly to being pushed through a window (presumably barred), and would end up as a horrid mess on the floor.

Oh dear.

What a shame that would be.

Not.

(ITTWACW)
    Thx. FYI: he'd only get the same crap the kids have been eating.
  • jbohnjbohn Shipmate
    edited June 25
    jedijudy wrote: »
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    Sanctuary Cities, for example, have not been cowed and I believe other cities are considering joining them. I think I read something in the Denver post about this but not certain.

Our Republican governor just banned Sanctuary Cities in Florida. His nose is totally brown, and all up in trump's evil butt.

The evil part of my brain and heart hopes that all the people who are responsible for the suffering and terror these children are facing will have to endure a thousand times what they have forced on the children. I am not able to eke out any charity toward those monsters.

Yuck.

Here in Minneapolis, this came out from the city government a few days ago (via FB):

City of Minneapolis Government
    June 22 at 12:54 PM ·
    Multiple news outlets have reported that, as soon as ‪Sunday morning‬, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) could start deporting individuals with final immigration court removal (deportation) orders in ten U.S. cities. While we cannot be certain of what may happen, if anything, we do know that Minneapolis has NOT been named as one of the ten cities.
    This news makes people scared, we know this. The City of Minneapolis condemns any actions that would put our residents and families at risk or actions that instill fear in our community. The City of Minneapolis is a welcoming city that believes all people, including immigrants, are valuable contributors to society, vital to the success of our communities and to our shared future.
    Minneapolis Police have not and will not cooperate with, nor participate in, any such ICE activity. Minneapolis officials are prohibited from taking any action to detect or apprehend people based solely on their immigration status. Our entire city is proud to stand in solidarity with our immigrant brothers, sisters and neighbors. Know your rights and discuss resources available through the Immigrant Law Center: ‪651-287-3715‬.
    By replacing fear with knowledge, the City of Minneapolis works to make our communities safer. The City partners with legal service organizations to ensure that residents have access to competent legal information and advice, regardless of ability to pay. The following resources can help you if you are fearful of an immigration enforcement activity:
    City of Minneapolis Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs (OIRA) can provide additional support: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/ncr/oira/index.htm
    A few videos and links are located here below:
    United We Dream video:
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=412576406002984
    ACLU of Minnesota:
    https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/immigrants-rights/
    Finding an immigration lawyer in your area
    https://www.ailalawyer.com/
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited June 25
    Wow. Full marks to the City of Minneapolis.

'...replacing fear with knowledge...' is surely an example for all responsible governments, whether city or country, to follow.
  • jbohnjbohn Shipmate
    Wow. Full marks to the City of Minneapolis.

'...replacing fear with knowledge...' is surely an example for all responsible governments, whether city or country, to follow.

Indeed.

The City of Minneapolis (and most especially the Minneapolis Police Department) stick their foot in it on a regular basis, but they're absolutely on the right side of this one.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Wow indeed! Good on them!
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Acting Customs and Border Protection Commissioner John Sanders has turned in his resignation and no one is quite sure why. If it's because he's directly responsible* for the way CBP is treating refugee kids it's understandable. If it's not it seems like a particularly poor choice of timing.

*As opposed to the general, "the buck stops here" type of responsibility we assign to heads of organizations.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I'd be looking at terminating some of those Private Contractors and suing their Directors if possible. SPLC might be the organisation to do it if they can manufacture standing. I have an idea standing is easier to get than here - public interest or something. Maybe a Church could do it...
  • Follow the money.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/CLBR:US
    https://www.miamiherald.com/…/immigra…/article229744049.html
    https://www.cbsnews.com/…/john-kelly-joins-board-of-calibu…/
    https://news.littlesis.org/…/wall-street-banks-former-def…/…
    https://thehill.com/…/392727-hayden-sees-commonality-betwee…
    https://www.npr.org/…/florida-shelter-is-scrutinized-for-th…
    https://www.nytimes.com/…/migrant-shelters-border-crossing.…
    https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/caliburn-international/
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/doj-is-investigating-whether-
    https://thebaffler.com/…/retirement-brought-to-you-by-priso…
    https://www.floridatoday.com/…/cape-canaveral-de…/717375002/
    https://www.chsmedical.com/compliance
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    @Graven Image - you have royally fucked up pretty much every single one of those links.

There should be some sort of award for that, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post you the fur so generously donated by my cat in this current heat wave.
  • https://twitter.com/Jason_Chatfield/status/1145091713226170368?s=20

The cartoon is inaccurate however. trump has never asked "do you mind" about anything.
  • Doc Tor wrote: »
    @Graven Image - you have royally fucked up pretty much every single one of those links.

There should be some sort of award for that, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post you the fur so generously donated by my cat in this current heat wave.

Oh dear, sorry about that. I copied the whole thing at once from a post about who is making all the money off of housing these children. They are the ones we should go after rather then those working in the centers. Perhaps kindly host will remove my post.

• Graven ImageGraven Image Shipmate
    edited June 30
    This is the company, making all the money, Comprehensive Health Services (a subsidiary of Caliburn International). CHS operates the largest child migrant detention center, which is in FL and was already getting horrible press — especially from local FL papers — last year. But that didn’t matter, because CHS recently opened up a few more child prisons in TX, as it snagged a new government contract, despite many documented concerns about conditions there.
    Doing your own google search on Caliburn will give you an idea how big this is.
  • If Wikipedia has it right:
    Crimes against humanity are certain acts that are deliberately committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian or an identifiable part of a civilian population.
    If the abuse of children at the southern border of the USA doesn't meet that definition, I've completely lost the plot. But search as I might, I can't see how a charge of a crime against humanity is initiated. It must begin with an individual, but who and where? Can anyone enlighten me?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    https://twitter.com/Jason_Chatfield/status/1145091713226170368?s=20

The cartoon is inaccurate however. trump has never asked "do you mind" about anything.
    Good point.

Mr. de Adder, the cartoonist, was employed (and fired) by the local newspapers here in New Brunswick (although AIUI the cartoon in question didn't appear in our local paper). Said papers are owned by our local oil squillionaires, who in turn are sufficiently beholden to Mango Mussolini (via trade deals and whatnot) that lampooning him is taboo. When his cartoon went viral and was picked up by the international media, he was "let go".

Thin end of the wedge - start messing about with freedom of the press. :rage:
    I read the first link in the twitter feed, with the statement from the newspaper company. They reckon they were going to switch cartoonists for months, and it had nothing to do with that telling and incisive cartoon. I say prove it, boss man.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited July 1
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    ... They reckon they were going to switch cartoonists for months, and it had nothing to do with that telling and incisive cartoon. I say prove it, boss man.
    Quite so.

I believe them in the same way I believe Brexiteers who claim that all the manufacturers who are moving their businesses from the UK has "nothing to do with Brexit" - but it just so conveniently coincides with it.
  • alienfromzogalienfromzog Shipmate
    If Wikipedia has it right:
    Crimes against humanity are certain acts that are deliberately committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian or an identifiable part of a civilian population.
    If the abuse of children at the southern border of the USA doesn't meet that definition, I've completely lost the plot. But search as I might, I can't see how a charge of a crime against humanity is initiated. It must begin with an individual, but who and where? Can anyone enlighten me?

I am definitely not an expert but I think I've got this right:

Crimes Against Humanity are prosecuted in the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Hague. The jurisdiction normally only extends to countries that are signatories to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court. In theory, non-signatory countries can come under the jurisdiction of the Court if a referral is made by the UN Security Council.

The USA is not currently a signatory of the Rome Statute.

AFZ
  • If Wikipedia has it right:

I am definitely not an expert but I think I've got this right:

Crimes Against Humanity are prosecuted in the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Hague. The jurisdiction normally only extends to countries that are signatories to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court. In theory, non-signatory countries can come under the jurisdiction of the Court if a referral is made by the UN Security Council.

The USA is not currently a signatory of the Rome Statute.

AFZ

That's helpful, but I'd still like to find out where you light the fuse, so to speak. If I knew that, I'd start some letter-writing.
  • Dave WDave W Shipmate
    From what AFZ has posted, there's no fuse to light.

Since the US isn't a signatory, the ICC doesn't have jurisdiction over the US, and the US would surely veto any attempt to refer charges from the UN Security Council.
  • BBC News tells us that Blump thinks (a) the US Army captured the country's airports in 1775, and (b) Canada was responsible for the burning of the White House in 1814.

And, sadly, you still have him as your potus. The man is deranged, and living in a parallel universe (or maybe it's the rest of us that are in the PU).
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Also that the siege of Fort McHenry (that the Star Spangled Banner was written about) was during the Revolutionary War (it was the War of 1812.)
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    On one hand, it looks like Trump is rewriting history, but I’m really not sure he can write.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    No. Here's merely attempting to demonstrate that even the most ignorant, incompetent, ill-informed, foul-spirited, vile-tempered slackard can be a more powerful President (so long as he is white and male) than any intelligent, well-read, well-educated, gracious, even-tempered, hardworking, thoughtful, mild-manned black man.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    If he had really done his homework, he would know that the Star Spangled Banner did not become our National Anthem until Woodrow Wilson, a Democrat, issued an executive order making it so . . . but even then, the resolution in Congress recognizing it as such failed to pass a total of 40 times. And the flag that Key saw "yet wave" after the bombardment of Fort McHenry is preserved at the Smithsonian thanks to a generous donation from, among others, Ralph Lauren, who is a Democrat.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    If he had really done his homework...

Trump do his homework? Never! (I'll bet he paid someone to do it for him when he was in school.)

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »

Trump do his homework? Never! (I'll bet he paid someone to do it for him when he was in school.)

Au contraire; I'm betting he promised to pay someone to do it for him but never actually coughed up the dough.
    Ohher wrote: »
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »

Au contraire; I'm betting he promised to pay someone to do it for him but never actually coughed up the dough.

You're absolutely right! Thanks for the correction.
    :smile:
  • Graven ImageGraven Image Shipmate
    BBC News tells us that Blump thinks (a) the US Army captured the country's airports in 1775, and (b) Canada was responsible for the burning of the White House in 1814.

And, sadly, you still have him as your potus. The man is deranged, and living in a parallel universe (or maybe it's the rest of us that are in the PU).

Today Trump explained that the rain interfered with his teleprompter thus his mistakes .
    Oh. Say, can't he see?
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    I'm also betting that IQ45 needs glasses but refuses to wear them; they'd show he was less than perfect in some respect, and he's too vain to wear them. He probably can't cope with contact lenses either; too finicky.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    Oh. Say, can't he see?

Nice one. I saw what you did there.
    :grin:

• Pigwidgeon wrote: »

Similar scenario with Conrad Black. Different but similarly larcenous.
    Today Trump explained that the rain interfered with his teleprompter thus his mistakes .

But he's also quoted as saying ""I guess the rain knocked out the teleprompter, so it's not that, but I knew the speech very well, so I was able to do it without a teleprompter."

So I guess he knew all about the airports during the Revolution and/or the War of 1812 on his own... without the rain-soaked teleprompter.
  • Is he related, by any chance, to Homer Simpson?
    :confused:
  • I don't think so. Homer Simpson is yellow.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I don't think so. Homer Simpson is yellow.

Wiping lunch from laptop screen.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 6
    I don't think so. Homer Simpson is yellow.

And doesn't wear a wig...though he might just have a vestigial comb-over...

• HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    If he had really done his homework, he would know that the Star Spangled Banner did not become our National Anthem until Woodrow Wilson, a Democrat, issued an executive order making it so . . . but even then, the resolution in Congress recognizing it as such failed to pass a total of 40 times. And the flag that Key saw "yet wave" after the bombardment of Fort McHenry is preserved at the Smithsonian thanks to a generous donation from, among others, Ralph Lauren, who is a Democrat.
    Yes, but Tr*mp is considering issuing an Executive Order to change all that.
    Re-papering history. (IE covering it with wallpaper.)
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Tell me you lot are not going to let him in for a 2nd term. Oh wait you lot didn't’ Want him in the first place.
  • I found myself at a Democrats Abroad picnic yesterday despite being neither a Democrat nor a broad, and was much encouraged by their enthusiasm for getting people registered to vote and spreading the word. The sense of urgency was palpable. What I found really interesting was that it seems the Republicans have no similar organisation to motivate their own expats. Clearly a good thing from the Democratic viewpoint, but I wonder why?
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Right up until the Menace issues an EO claiming that votes issuing from abroad don't count because they're, you know, from abroad. Next up: EO canceling votes from a broad: 100 years of female suffrage quite enough, he'll say.
  • The Republicans Abroad organisation does exist. Back in my student days I remember a lady turning up to defend the Iraq war to a load of lefty British student protestors. I rather admired her chutzpah.
  • The Republicans Abroad organisation does exist. Back in my student days I remember a lady turning up to defend the Iraq war to a load of lefty British student protestors. I rather admired her chutzpah.

I stand corrected. There you see what frightens trump - fake news put out by my trusted Democratic friends. But they do seem to have quite a low profile around here
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    So poor Donald has had his feelings hurt by the nasty UK ambassador and won’t talk to him. While yes the leak is serious, politicians should have thicker skin. The problem with that last phrase are s describing the Orange one as a politician.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Hugal wrote: »
    So poor Donald has had his feelings hurt by the nasty UK ambassador and won’t talk to him. While yes the leak is serious, politicians should have thicker skin. The problem with that last phrase are s describing the Orange one as a politician.

He's back on the attack now, giving me the unusual experience of wanting to defend Theresa May...
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited July 9
    The ambassador spoke the truth in measured language.

The emperor has no clothes.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    That is not an image I can easily get rid of.