Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• RocinanteRocinante Shipmate
    The5thMary wrote: »
    Sigh...
    Anyway, he and I were talking about Trump and my friend said that Trump was doing a very good job growing the economy and deregulating a lot of things that Obama had undermined when he was in office. He said Republicans stood for deregulation and that was always a good thing for the economy.

Anyone who thinks that deregulation is always a good thing for the economy has clearly never worked in, or lived near, a factory that uses hazardous substances.

Or flown on a plane, driven a car, used healthcare providers or eaten meat which they haven't grown, slaughtered, butchered and stored themselves.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Rocinante wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that deregulation is always a good thing for the economy has clearly never worked in, or lived near, a factory that uses hazardous substances.

Or flown on a plane, driven a car, used healthcare providers or eaten meat which they haven't grown, slaughtered, butchered and stored themselves.

Deregulating those things can lead to all kinds of economic activity, from medical treatments to funerals. A lot of those could be regarded as a deadweight loss, but it's still economic activity. "Good for the economy" is not the same thing as "good for people".

Someone notes that there's another possible explanation for Trump's cancelled visit to Denmark. Maybe he wants to avoid the comparison.
    Former US president Barack Obama will visit Denmark for the second time in 12 months to give a talk in Aalborg at the end of September.

Obama’s September 28th stop in North Jutland would have fallen in the same month as the now-postponed official state visit of his successor, Donald Trump, on September 2nd and 3rd.

I'm guessing that he knows deep down that another round of "whose crowds are bigger?" would just be embarrassing.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    That's plausible. Rather than admit he didn't want a direct comparison, Trump trumps up a wacky "I'll buy Greenland" story, followed by a "Waaaaaaaaaaaah! They won't sell me Greenland! I'm gonna stay home!" In Trump's so-called "mind," that is SOOOOOOO much more dignified than being shown to be less popular.
  • Arrogance astounds. But it shouldn't I suppose.

I expect the reason President Dementia Butt** isn't going to Denmark has to do with riding a bicycle.

**President Dementia Butt: "even assholes get dementia" (thanks Lamb Chopped)
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    It has been suggested to me that Greenland, along with Alaska, Siberia, and various Canadian territories would become an attractive bolthole for the sort of people who would be able to afford attractive boltholes when the ice melts. Australian that sort of people get Antarctica.
  • That's when you start hoping that Lovecraft's tales of horrific alien civilizations hidden in the ice caps come true.
  • I wonder if he thought making America bigger would be the same thing as making it greater.
  • Well, it would fall within a technical definition of "great." Hence all those nasty irredentist schemes, e.g. Greater Serbia, Greater Bulgaria.
  • That's when you start hoping that Lovecraft's tales of horrific alien civilizations hidden in the ice caps come true.

But they ARE true - Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    :scream:

• Greenland should tweet that they want to buy Alaska. Or New York State, or ... what would be the funniest place or thing to make an outrageously low offer on, just to wind him up and provide a hook for wags but little traction for Trump to regain any dignity?
  • Trump tower for a dollar ?
  • Greenland and Alaska could together declare a Pan-Eskimo Republic seceding from Denmark and the USA.
    edited August 21
    Seriously, Russia has a lot of coast fronting the Arctic Ocean, which they have already made a claim on. Alaska only fronts a small part. Greenland would increase a US claim to territorial waters, once they are waters year round. And China might be glad of a polar route directly to the US.
  • What about intangibles? (whether actually transferrable or not)
    A Dollar for his
    • sense of right and wrong
    • statesmanlike behaviour
    • intellectual prowess
    • business acumen
    • coiffure

• If countries are buying other countries, it seems more obvious that USA should buy England, or perhaps the entire UK. or at least Boris.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Greenland should tweet that they want to buy Alaska. Or New York State, or ... what would be the funniest place or thing to make an outrageously low offer on, just to wind him up and provide a hook for wags but little traction for Trump to regain any dignity?

Offer to buy the island of Manhattan for sixty guilders worth of trade goods?
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    They'll have to put up a "NO TRUMPASSING" sign first.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    edited August 22
    There must be sites that list all the horrid things T has done and said as president. Print out a few pages, and give them to the Log Cabin friend?

ETA: Make sure to include more of what he's said/done re LGBT folks. And, skimming through news today, I saw he did something new on that front, but I don't remember what. (multi-tasking, plus can only cope with a certain amount of news.)
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... USA should buy England, or perhaps the entire UK. or at least Boris.
    I think he's already half way there. :cry:

• He has endorsed the statement that he’s the king of Israel and described himself as the chosen one in the last 24 hours.

I doubt he thinks these things are literally true, yet, but it speaks to delusions of grandeur - much as the row with Denmark because they won’t sell him part of their country does.
    Been reading about Greenland. China has invested in mining operations there, with a particular interest in rare earths, in which, otherwise, they have a monopoly. Seems like a "good" idea to undermine them in that direction. Perhaps that is behind the offer.
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    He has Alaska. He wants to buy Greenland. What price Canada (except those pesky French, of course)?
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited August 22
    Penny S wrote: »
    Been reading about Greenland. China has invested in mining operations there, with a particular interest in rare earths, in which, otherwise, they have a monopoly. Seems like a "good" idea to undermine them in that direction. Perhaps that is behind the offer.

Probably - they are seeing China’s influence everywhere. But tRump jumps in with both feet assuming they can buy the whole country. It’s hilarious!

Republican diplomats and strategists in the US must despair.

Now he thinks he’s God. No surprise there, he’s made it to POTUS, where else was there to go? Many emperors declared themselves to be gods. It’s nothing new.

People don’t change - give them too much power and they’ll always look for more.

• LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    edited August 22
    I saw something funny on Dutch internet. Trump wants to buy Greenland from Denmark. A lot of people in the United States don't understand a lot about the geography of Europe. They think Denmark is the capital of Holland.

So we propose that the Dutch government goes to Trump: "Sure, we'll sell you Greenland". It's not ours but he won't understand that. We take the $ 40 billion and that's it :smiley:
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    Thinking further on my last post, Trump might ask Boris to sell him Canada -and Boris probably would.
    The top end of Greenland is nearer the Pole than the nearest bit of Russia, so could be to counter Russian claims to the Arctic.
    I can't understand why he wouldn't do this sort of thing, if serious, and it is really necessary, behind the scenes, and then bring it out as a fait accompli.
    And I am wondering just what it is that we aren't supposed to be seeing while chortling over this idiocy. The thing with the children at the border?
  • The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    He is still to learn where behind the scenes is.
  • Someone else did indeed suggest that the proposed purchase of Greenland is a smokescreen, hiding who-knows-what (other) infamy the Great Orange Goblin is perpetrating.

As @Penny S suggests, it could be intended to draw attention away from his concentration camps for children. What a dreadful thing to be remembered for, in the future (if there is one).
    :rage:

Still, only a few years' more, and he'll be dead, and there are no pockets in a shroud, so what use will his $$$ be to him then? Enough to pay for the BIGLIEST STATE FRUNERAL EVER, I expect.
  • Furtive GanderFurtive Gander Shipmate
    edited August 22
    Someone else did indeed suggest that the proposed purchase of Greenland is a smokescreen, hiding who-knows-what (other) infamy the Great Orange Goblin is perpetrating.

As @Penny S suggests, it could be intended to draw attention away from his concentration camps for children. What a dreadful thing to be remembered for, in the future (if there is one).
    :rage:

Still, only a few years' more, and he'll be dead, and there are no pockets in a shroud, so what use will his $$$ be to him then? Enough to pay for the BIGLIEST STATE FRUNERAL EVER, I expect.

He'll probably be hoping his time comes under a suitably respectful Republican President - when people throwing things at his procession may be discouraged, or even prevented.

Or better still to be taken up directly into heaven.
  • Some bright creature at Yahoo found a more likely biblical fate: here
    For some reason or other, a children's ball game rhyme has inserted itself into my head, in an altered version.

Donald Trump, the King of the Jews
    Bought his wife a pair of shoes;
    When the shoes began to wear
    Donald Trump began to swear
    When the swearing had him banned
    Donald Trump bid for Greenland
    When the Greenland bid had failed
    Donald Trump at Denmark railed.
    When that twitter feed went down,
    Donald Trump began to frown...
  • Brilliant, Penny! :)
  • LC--

That scripture has me thinking of the moment in the film "Clash Of The Titans" when a queen publicly declared her daughter to be more beautiful than the goddess Hera...in front of a huge statue of Hera...which came to angry life...and Things Happened (tm).
    (:paranoid:)
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    I'm guessing that he knows deep down that another round of "whose crowds are bigger?" would just be embarrassing.

He'll never beat the crowd at Woodstock. (See the poster on that page.)

Was watching a PBS documentary of Woodstock last night. I'd forgotten the crowd was so huge. Various estimates, but around half a million people.

• bunnywithanaxebunnywithanaxe Admin Emeritus
    Some bright creature at Yahoo found a more likely biblical fate: here

I had been thinking what happened to Nebuchadnezzar would be a fitting punishment.
  • Hey Kelly!
    {waves}
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    He's imposed a ban on transgender folks serving in the military
    [/quote]

Given the likelihood of Trump kicking off a major war, I'd have thought that would be viewed as a good thing by those concerned!
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    So Trump cancelling a state visit to Denmark because they wouldn't sell him Greenland seems like an asshole move, but it doesn't seem quite up to his usual standards. Wait, what's this?
    Trump Invited Himself to Denmark Before Canceling Trip, Danes Say

Speaking to reporters on the White House’s South Lawn in late July, President Donald Trump revealed that he was “looking at” a stop in Denmark after an upcoming trip to Poland to attend a World War II commemorative ceremony.

For officials in Copenhagen, the comment came as a surprise. Although it is customary in Denmark for there to be a standing invitation for the U.S. president — and though officials in both countries had been discussing the possibility of an American delegation visiting — no formal invitation had actually been extended to Trump, according to two senior Danish officials and an individual who works closely with the Trump administration in Copenhagen.

By the next day, Queen Margrethe II had issued the invite, and the White House had officially announced the president’s plans to visit the country.

Oh yeah! Having a tantrum and cancelling a trip you invited yourself on seems like a move that's up to the usual Trumpian standards.
  • I miss the old :killingme: smiley.
  • Me, too.
  • Croesos--

Ah, but it gives T control. He can invite and disinvite himself, without worrying about or being limited by what anyone else thinks of him.
  • True, but he still doesn't get Greenland.

Or, presumably, another invitation to Denmark!
  • I reckon we Aussies should try to sell him New Zealand.
  • No. Let's sell him Atlantis.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 24
    I think someone already suggested Australia sell him New Zealand (without telling him, of course, that it's not theirs to sell... :innocent: ).

How about offering him Gondwanaland? Or Pangaea? Or are they not Bigly Enough?
    :naughty:
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Let's sell him the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, and then exile him to it.
  • How about the Bermuda Triangle? He could get lost there--and that might even drive all the missing folks allegedly there to come back, 'cause who would want to be stuck there with him??
  • Ohher wrote: »
    Let's sell him the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, and then exile him to it.

Don't exile him there -- make him the King of it! Maybe the Emperor! He'd be the greatest Emperor that the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ever had! It would be the bigliest Great Pacific Garbage Patch!
  • How about offering him Gondwanaland? Or Pangaea? Or are they not Bigly Enough?
    :naughty:

...as long as you don't give him a time machine with it...T having access to the very early proto-continents...that would make Stephen King run away screaming...
    Olympus Mons