Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• Makes sense I guess.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Bolton terrified me. Now what terrifies me is who's next?
  • There are other allegations that Bolton was fired because he objected to Trump's dovishness on North Korea. Still others hold forth that Bolton was fired for his overly-aggressive stance on Iran. You can see the common denominator here, yes?
  • From what I've seen Mr Bolton appeared to relish not conforming or co-operating which makes me wonder if he was odd-ball enough that any president would have got rid and (in this instance at least) Mr Trump is actually being normal.
  • The Rogue--

Perhaps. But even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  • So who will Trump nominate next? Vlad Putin, perhaps? (The drop in salary might make Vlad think twice, though...)
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    May be it could be a writer who is quite good at a memory spell. Oh sorry wrong position.
  • I thought Uncle Vlad was employed by Blump already. Or is it the other way around?
  • Another allegation on the "why was Bolton axed?" question. Because Trump became convinced Bolton (or Bolton loyalists) was the source of the leaks about Trump wanting to nuke hurricanes.
    Aggravation over Iran and the Taliban had intensified recently as Mr. Trump wanted a meeting to take place at Camp David and is open to a meeting with Iran's president. But three sources directly involved tell CBS News White House correspondent Major Garrett that the main irritant that drove Mr. Trump to distraction was his belief that Bolton or those close to Bolton leaked a story about Mr. Trump asking about whether nuclear weapons could be used to abate hurricanes.

That seems to have just the right combination of vanity and incompetence to be plausible.
  • No-one has yet expressed surprise that in the 1930s Stalin was having photographs doctored to change the appearance of history. A little reading suggests those responsible did a thorough job. And today, 85 years later, the president grabs a felt-tip and scribbles on a print-out. I'm struggling to believe this is not a spoof...anyone?
  • I rather think potus Blump himself is, in fact, the biggest spoof going, at the moment.

It might be funny, were he not so dangerous...
  • The Death of Stalin is a wonderful spoof, while also portraying the personal awfulness of the Central Committee. Trump is just a massive cockhead who can no longer distinguish between his lies, his exaggerations and reality.

Incidentally Sharpies were members of a Melbourne youth subculture popular in the early 1970's.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    I am hoping against all hope that this story somehow turns out to be straight-up satire, but I fear not.

Apparently our Second Coming of the Lamb of God plans to Do Something about homelessness. After all, billionaires paying stratospheric prices for gilded penthouses deserve SOME consideration, and should not be forced to look at, smell, or step over the huddled bodies of shivering, ravenous beggars between their chauffer-held limo doors and the entryways to their residences and places of graft business.
  • Well hang on Ohher. The article says he's talking to Ben Carson about reducing the impact of homeless people on prestige properties. Carson'll fix it...
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Good grief - tRump really does speak what the others are thinking and dare not speak. :tired_face:
  • ...anything T comes up with for homeless folks is likely to be worse than his immigration detention centers...
  • Luke 16 vv19-31 - the parable of 'Dives' and Lazarus comes to mind:
    https://biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+16%3A19-31&version=KJV
  • Luke 16 vv19-31 - the parable of 'Dives' and Lazarus comes to mind:
    https://biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+16%3A19-31&version=KJV
    Yes first thing that popped into my head as well. Homeless then are alright as long as you do not see them? He is so loved by the religious right surely they will remind him of those verses. Not.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    He's plumbed the depths of vileness yet again.
  • By the way, is the name said "dives" or "dive-ez"?
  • I've always heard it as 'Dive - eeze'.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'd pronounce it "DEE-vaze", but I might be quite wrong.
  • Or "DEE-wes". I think that's the Classical Latin pronunciation. :)
  • Maddy Prior, in the folk song version of the story, seems to pronounce it 'Divers'!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3xFnoDZ_I

Yer pays yer money, and takes yer choice.
    :grin:
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    edited September 21
    'die'-'wheeze', says Oxford, stress on the first syllable.

Or what a Kiwi would say to Wesley J, if they wanted his demise. :)
  • 'de- meeze', do you mean?
    :wink:
  • BTW, the folksong tune, known today as Kingsfold, was adapted by the great Ralph Vaughan Williams for the 19thC hymn I heard the voice of Jesus say (words by Horatius Bonar):
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6rr_4M5LQLo

One can only hope, and pray, that one day, potus Blump will hear these words, and take them to heart.

Before it's too late.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    Di-vees, anyone?
  • Thanks. It seems to get the swimming type of pronunciation locally here. I shall consider listening to the second syllable in my head.
  • I'm reminded of Richard DeVere, the Hungarian supermarket mogul.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    I'm reminded of Richard DeVere, the Hungarian supermarket mogul.

Ha! Very good!
  • Or one of 45's urchins, Betty DeVos!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Doc Tor wrote: »
    Di-vees, anyone?
    That's what I've always heard.

• HugalHugal Shipmate
    Me too
  • We must be right then!
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Apropos of nothing, I have developed (since I'm considerably closer to the end of my story than to its beginning) a new fear: that I probably won't outlive the profound destruction that Orange-utan has wrought on my country (even if he's not re-elected, which God in Her mercy forbid).
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited September 24
    Ohher wrote: »
    Apropos of nothing, I have developed (since I'm considerably closer to the end of my story than to its beginning) a new fear: that I probably won't outlive the profound destruction that Orange-utan has wrought on my country (even if he's not re-elected, which God in Her mercy forbid).

Trump's two biggest legacies at this point are larding the federal judiciary at all levels with a bunch of larval Scalias and rolling back pollution controls and environmental regulations. The escapees from the Federalist Society terrariums will be making rulings for the next four decades or so and the precedents they set will be on the books a lot longer. The environmental damage is probably irreversible in the physics and entropy sense of the term.

So I'd say your fears are justified.
  • What Croesos said, especially as regards the environment.

OTOH, look at the bright side. You (and maybe quite a few other Shipmates, including myself) probably won't experience the worst of it, when Gaia finally revolts, and expels us Humming Beans out of her...whatever it is that planets employ to get rid of sh*t.

It's the likes of Greta Thunberg I feel sorry for. They have (hopefully) long lives to look forward too, but I fear they will be especially challenging, and difficult, lives...

CTTOI, what's new?
  • OTOH, look at the bright side. You (and maybe quite a few other Shipmates, including myself) probably won't experience the worst of it, when Gaia finally revolts, and expels us Humming Beans out of her...whatever it is that planets employ to get rid of sh*t.

It's the likes of Greta Thunberg I feel sorry for. They have (hopefully) long lives to look forward too, but I fear they will be especially challenging, and difficult, lives...

People like Trump and various fossil fuel executives have made what is essentially a "death wager". They've wagered that they will be dead by the time the effects of their actions make the environment truly unpleasant/unlivable. Seems like they're right.

As for Greta Thunberg, I know a lot of people are (or pretend to be) confused about why she's so angry/"passionate" about this. For myself, I've always wondered why more of her age peers aren't absolutely furious.
  • I thought Potus Blump, being the second incarnation of Christ, saw himself as Immortal.

But yes, those to whom you refer may well be right in thinking that they'll be dead soon (I know that isn't quite what you said!).
    :naughty:
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Not soon enough.
  • Well, hopefully we'll see them out...and still be able to dance on their graves...
    :wink:
  • Pelosi is going to announce the formation of an official committee of inquiry into impeachment!!!!!

YES! YES! IMPEACH THE FUCKER!!!!!!!
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    Pelosi is going to announce the formation of an official committee of inquiry into impeachment!!!!!

YES! YES! IMPEACH THE FUCKER!!!!!!!
    That's pretty much what I screamed when I heard this morning (see the "Oops" thread).

I don't think the Senate will vote to remove him, but... this is going to stir up so much dirt on him in the year leading up to the 2020 election.
  • I don't know. Someone once compared him to the monster in a horror movie- you empty your pistol at him, throw bombs, knock over furniture... he keeps coming. The fact that the guy is utterly loathsome and corrupt has been amply evident for a long time now. Anyone who was going to leave the Trump train has done it already. He once remarked how he could shoot someone on the street in broad daylight and people would still love him. He's right.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I don't think the Senate will vote to remove him, . . .

So let's make them publicly defend that choice.
  • Oh I don't think they will either, though I hope they will, and I hope that their refusal will hurt all their chances of re-election. But I just want to see THE BASTARD IMPEACHED!!!!!!
  • ...and found guilty. IIRC, "impeachment" just refers to the hearing/trial--not the final result.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Golden Key wrote: »
    ...and found guilty. IIRC, "impeachment" just refers to the hearing/trial--not the final result.
    Yes, that's the important part. Of course, I wouldn't mind if he pulled a Nixon and resigned before he could be impeached - despite the fact that it would mean President Pence. I don't think he commands quite the same loyalty as the Monster.

• Any news on how My-Pal Putin is handling being pushed aside from being #1 New-Best-Friend, in favor of the New-New-Best-Friend Prez of Ukraine? Seems like mighty tenuous territory.