Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• SirPalomidesSirPalomides Shipmate
    edited October 8
    Again, keeping Syria weak and divided, by maintaining a US troop presence on Syria's sovereign territory- with a view to "containing" Iran- is not some backroom conspiracy but explicit US policy. Rex Tillerson, for instance, cited the possibility of Iran forming a "northern arch" linking Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon (also called the "Shia Crescent" in Iranophobe circles). This has to be prevented, so the argument goes, by US troops holding on to a chunk of Syrian territory. In others, Syria has to be kept divided and weak to prevent it from contributing to this "northern arch."

Ask almost any senator, of either party, and you are certain to hear an argument along those lines. The only exceptions you might hear would come from maybe Rand Paul or Bernie Sanders.

Of course there is also the matter of a supposed risk of an ISIS revival- but the danger of that emanates from our ally Turkey, not from Syria, Russia, or Iran. In fact an ISIS revival would provide a convenient justification for continued troop presence in Syria. The same reason an "ISIS" branch in Afghanistan (really just some disaffected Taliban) feeds the interventionists' arguments for continued presence in that country, with no discernible end. More chaos, more bloodshed.
  • The real risk of the Turks going into this area is surely just genocide ? Do we think they’ll try to distinguish Kurdish soldier and civilian ? Do we think they want to look after isis prisoner in accordance with international law - rather than conveniently kill them off in the fighting ?
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Do we think they [ the Turks ] want to look after isis prisoner in accordance with international law - rather than conveniently kill them off in the fighting ?

That makes the rather large leap of assuming that Kurdish forces will still be devoting resources to keeping captured ISIS fighters imprisoned rather than redirecting all their energy to survival.
  • Whoops. Somehow I got the impression we were talking about the Senate. Though I've apparently got the numbers wrong there too. Must dryclean my brain.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Yes they are blameworthy. And every one of them who doesn’t stand up for what is right is also blameworthy.

It’s not about what motivates them, it’s the fact that they are doing nothing to put things right.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    At the New Year’s Eve party, [ Karen ] Johnson, wearing a black Versace dress, danced with her friends. Shortly after glittering balloons fell from the ceiling at the stroke of midnight, her husband said he wasn’t feeling well and the relative was ready to go. Johnson decided to make a quick trip to the restroom before they headed home. “I hadn’t seen [ Trump ] that whole entire night,” said Johnson, who was in her late thirties at the time. “I was just walking to the bathroom. I was grabbed and pulled behind a tapestry, and it was him. And I’m a tall girl and I had six-inch heels on, and I still remember looking up at him. And he’s strong, and he just kissed me,” she recounted to us. “I was so scared because of who he was... I don’t even know where it came from. I didn’t have a say in the matter.”

<snip>

Years later, Johnson was shocked to hear Trump describing on the Access Hollywood tape exactly what he had done to her. “When he says that thing, ‘Grab them in the pussy,’ that hits me hard because when he grabbed me and pulled me into the tapestry, that’s where he grabbed me — he grabbed me there in my front and pulled me in,” she told us.

That's an excerpt from All the President's Women: Donald Trump and the Making of a Predator, a book scheduled to be released later this month. Just in case you weren't clear that we've crossed in to Mad King territory, we now have stories of Trump sexually assaulting women while hiding behind a tapestry. The writers on this show just think they can be as heavy-handed as they want, apparently.
  • Heard about that. :(
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    Just in case you weren't clear that we've crossed in to Mad King territory, we now have stories of Trump sexually assaulting women while hiding behind a tapestry.

"How now, a rat? Dead for a ducat, dead!" (Where's Hamlet when we need him?)
  • O God strike down this devil "American". His solution to the problem he created: Hit Turkey in The Economy. No matter the human beings torn and mutilated- the innocent families starving and fearing death, or worse, every day - No matter ---hit 'em in the pocketbook ! That'll teach 'em. "Our earthly rulers falter"... says the hymn. Falter doesn't quite fit the horror . The power he has seized, while the quivering underlings watch it happen- they're too fearful to take him out. Please give the persons who CAN yank him out of the White House the courage and where-with-all to DO IT. In the name of Christ, our Savior. Amen
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Oh, wait. It's all okay. The Kurds can be slaughtered because they didn't help us with Normandy. Which, let's face it, was very thoughtless of them.

How long can even Republicans stomach this vain, delusional, irrational, immoral chowderhead? (By which I mean Trump, although I could see where you might think I was describing Moscow Mitch.)
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Crœsos wrote: »
    Just in case you weren't clear that we've crossed in to Mad King territory, we now have stories of Trump sexually assaulting women while hiding behind a tapestry.

"How now, a rat? Dead for a ducat, dead!" (Where's Hamlet when we need him?)

Great minds...
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    'They didn't help us in Normandy.' I wonder if the most powerful man in the world has any idea of the relative geographical locations of Normandy and Kurdistan, or how the Kurds would have been able to help in that battle. Come to think of it, the Turks didn't help either, and in Round 1, they played for the other side.
    In short, has Mr Trump a coherent thought in his head? (This is a rhetorical question, and one to which the answer is almost certainly 'No'.)
  • I was there when the Kurds stabbed us in the back at the Battle of Hoth.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I was there when the Kurds stabbed us in the back at the Battle of Hoth.

This is a Star Wars reference, yes?
  • You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment, except to wonder if Star Wars is the scenario in which Potus Blump thinks he actually is...
  • Is he blaming them for the Bowling Green massacre?
  • Where were the Kurds when the Westfold fell to Isengard?
  • I had to look that up:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green_massacre

It's really NOT funny, but :lol: anyway...

Meanwhile,
    O God strike down this devil "American". His solution to the problem he created: Hit Turkey in The Economy. No matter the human beings torn and mutilated- the innocent families starving and fearing death, or worse, every day - No matter ---hit 'em in the pocketbook ! That'll teach 'em. "Our earthly rulers falter"... says the hymn. Falter doesn't quite fit the horror . The power he has seized, while the quivering underlings watch it happen- they're too fearful to take him out. Please give the persons who CAN yank him out of the White House the courage and where-with-all to DO IT. In the name of Christ, our Savior. Amen

Amen, and Amen.

• edited October 10
    The news has something about trumpy profitting from his businesses in Turkey via facilitating the invasion of northern Syria.

I was thinking about Jimmy Carter's and Zbigniew Brzezinski's plan to turn Afghanistan for Russia into their Vietnam by inventing the precursor in Al Qaeda. So maybe Turkey gets bogged down in Syria from Kurds who've known nothing of peace and have nil to lose. Russia is funding Assad, USA is friend to the Turks, and maybe the Kurds get allied with China? Or a breakaway part of Russia?
  • The only meaningful alliance the Kurds can make now is with Assad.
  • Has Trump ever studied any history - of any period, anywhere? His latest reason (if that word can be used in connection with the Orange fool) for ratting in the Kurds is that they "didn't help us" in WWII. So who is going to tell him that Turkey (a) was neutral right up to mid-February 1945, and (b) never had any troops in the fight after they finally came off the fence onto the allied side. Syria, of course, sided with the Vichy French so had to be liberated.

The Kurds, on the other hand, took on the pro-axis ministers in Iraq and managed to mount a full-scale insurrection against the pro-Nazi government.

Does Trump understand anything about the history of the region?
  • Ummm, that sounds like there was reason to assume he *does*.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Has Trump ever studied any history - of any period, anywhere? His latest reason (if that word can be used in connection with the Orange fool) for ratting in the Kurds is that they "didn't help us" in WWII.

Trump seems to be getting his history from Townhall writer Kurt Schlichter.
    The president appears to have been referring to a Tuesday Townhall column by Kurt Schlichter praising Trump for his decision. “The Kurds helped destroy ISIS, true. It’s also true that the Kurds would have fought ISIS anyway, since the psycho caliphate was right next door,” Schlichter writes. “Let’s be honest—the Kurds didn’t show up for us at Normandy or Inchon or Khe Sanh or Kandahar.”

This illustrates the problem when the president* seems to get his information from the C- and D-listers of the right wing noise machine. In this case it though it seems to have been part of his casting about for a justification for a snap decision he made when prompted by Erdoğan during their phone call.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Dear God, can no one rid us of this troublesome, turbulent pustule of a president? (Apologies to Willie the Shake).
  • Ohher wrote: »
    Dear God, can no one rid us of this troublesome, turbulent pustule of a president? (Apologies to Willie the Shake).

Henry II was about 500 years before Mr. Shakespeare.
  • Correction: Less than 500 years, but hardly contemporaries.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    But the play was written by WS.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    Shakespeare didn't write a play about Henry II.
    Wikipedia has an article on the quote, which I can't work out how to link to on my phone: the phrase 'turbulent priest' is an eighteenth century historian.
  • I can understand Trump's attitude to the Kurds. They let Custer down bigly at Little Big Horn.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Hugal wrote: »
    I know I was trying and failing to be sarcastic. Apologies for a bad joke.
  • I believe it's from Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot.

Mr. Shakespeare wrote plays about Henry IV (two of them), Henry V, Henry VI (three of them!), and co-wrote one about Henry VIII. No plays about Henry II.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    I know I was trying and failing to be sarcastic. Apologies for a bad joke.
    My fault for not realising. I didn't sleep enough last night.

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I believe it's from Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot...
    No, it's from "Becket," and it's a paraphrase of what H2 actually did say (probably in Norman French).

• Rossweisse wrote: »
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I believe it's from Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot...
    No, it's from "Becket," and it's a paraphrase of what H2 actually did say (probably in Norman French).

Thanks! It's been about twenty years since I watched "Becket" -- and over fifty years since I saw a performance of "Murder in the Cathedral."
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    (I had to confirm that my memory was correct.)
  • Two songs in my head due to reading the last few posts of this thread:

Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel and a song I can't find which is from an English group I think where the chorus consists in part of "T.S. Eliot". I would appreciate it if someone knows the song and can remember more about it.

• EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    Sorry, US shipmates, there's no way of breaking this to you gently - your president is an unmitigated one-man walking global disaster.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    I think that was gentle. I would have been a bit harder. Also I think our US shipmates may know
  • oh yes. At least half of the whole country knows.
  • I can understand Trump's attitude to the Kurds. They let Custer down bigly at Little Big Horn.

Custer was a genocidal maniac. Very bad choice of example. At the level of the Kurds let Hitler down during the Battle of Britain.
  • That's not the most reassuring thought I've heard lately...

Hopefully, the other half of the country will see sense next year.
  • Eirenist wrote: »
    Sorry, US shipmates, there's no way of breaking this to you gently - your president is an unmitigated one-man walking global disaster.
    Only when he can't ride around in his golf cart.
    :wink:

• I heard the term "chlorinated chicken" yesterday. I don't think it was intended as an insult nor specifically directed at any one. It made me chuckle. Nothing else is laughable.

Meanwhile, the Kurds have become allies with Assad, the Russians and Iran. Well done. Even the USA's own media as it as President ChloroChicken running around with his head cut off. https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-erdogan-just-got-played-vladimir-putin-says-terrorism-expert-michael-smith-1465008
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    I guess Trump has finally gotten tired of his job.
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    Just out: MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME IS AT THE HIGHEST POINT EVER, EVER, EVER! How about saying it this way, IN THE HISTORY OF OUR COUNTRY! Also, MORE PEOPLE WORKING TODAY IN THE USA THAN AT ANY TIME IN HISTORY! Tough numbers for the Radical Left Democrats to beat! Impeach the Pres.

I've added emphasis to the very interesting sign-off, in case you missed it. I suppose that tweet may be altered or deleted in the near future.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Crœsos wrote: »
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    Just out: MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME IS AT THE HIGHEST POINT EVER, EVER, EVER! How about saying it this way, IN THE HISTORY OF OUR COUNTRY! Also, MORE PEOPLE WORKING TODAY IN THE USA THAN AT ANY TIME IN HISTORY! Tough numbers for the Radical Left Democrats to beat! Impeach the Pres.

I've added emphasis to the very interesting sign-off, in case you missed it. I suppose that tweet may be altered or deleted in the near future.

😵😵🤣

Custer was a genocidal maniac. Very bad choice of example. At the level of the Kurds let Hitler down during the Battle of Britain.

I'm no admirer of Custer's, but he seemed to me to be the sort of person Trump would like.
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

For the first time ever, I actually agree with Trump!
    :lol:
  • My reaction, on reading that Tweet, was that, as Blump apparently believes he's the Son of God, or something, he thinks someone else is president...
    :confused:
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Possibly, he is referring to his old conversation partner, the president of the Virgin Islands.
  • I checked the tweet just now. The "impeach" bit is still there.
    (giggle)