Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• HugalHugal Shipmate
    Crœsos wrote: »
    I guess Trump has finally gotten tired of his job.
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    Just out: MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME IS AT THE HIGHEST POINT EVER, EVER, EVER! How about saying it this way, IN THE HISTORY OF OUR COUNTRY! Also, MORE PEOPLE WORKING TODAY IN THE USA THAN AT ANY TIME IN HISTORY! Tough numbers for the Radical Left Democrats to beat! Impeach the Pres.

I've added emphasis to the very interesting sign-off, in case you missed it. I suppose that tweet may be altered or deleted in the near future.
    Interesting. Though the Democrats are not particularly radical or left.
  • Maybe he meant "impeach the press"?
  • ECraigRECraigR Shipmate
    Presumably. Just a typical Trump category error, but with a hint of Freudian Slip.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    ECraigR wrote: »
    Presumably. Just a typical Trump category error, but with a hint of Freudian Slip.

Spelling error, even.

• What? God's Chosen One making a speeling errro?
    :flushed:
  • Any time I see a tweet from He Who Must Not Be Named without a spelling error I suspect someone else wrote it for him.
  • There may be a wobbly method in his madness. Impeachnitude would be such a feast for his Martyr Complex. If it really happens, I expect he would display red blobs tattooed on the palms of his hands.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    There may be a wobbly method in his madness. Impeachnitude would be such a feast for his Martyr Complex. If it really happens, I expect he would display red blobs tattooed on the palms of his hands.

I expect he'd just use a red Sharpie.
  • The American president just said that the PKK is worse than ISIS. Quite a PR breakthrough for Erdogan.
  • what a knuckle
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited October 17
    I have been struggling to put into words my feelings about tRump’ s treatment of the grieving parents whose son was killed by a reckless American diplomat’s wife driving a car - this article says what I wanted to say.

Horrible, horrible, heartless man.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    That's an excellent, if very sad and disturbing, article.

I wonder what Trump has where the rest of us have a heart?
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    edited October 17
    It appears trump has literally endorsed ethnic cleansing - on camera.

Source.
  • Can the Int'l Criminal Court do anything about/with the leader of a country that isn't signed up as a member? (Like, say, the US.)
  • Maybe the Court could start renditioning certain people, like Mossad did with Eichmann.
  • Can they do that, though, if the person is the leader of a country that isn't a member, though? AIUI, the US avoided signing up due to fears that an enemy would use the court wrongly against the US.

I doubt Mossad or Israel gave a damn about rules & laws, when it came to Eichmann. But the ICC presumably has its own rules and limits.
  • I think ICC can have people arrested in member countries. As I recall Paris police tried detaining Kissinger a while back but he fled town before they could get him.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    That's an excellent, if very sad and disturbing, article.

I wonder what Trump has where the rest of us have a heart?

A ball of fat and bitterness, I think.
  • A Black (or perhaps Orange) Hole?
    :grimace:
  • When we joke about a friend being without humanity or compassion we say 'he has a swinging brick for a heart...'. Even that sounds warm and cuddly compared to whatever passes for Donald Trump's conscience.
  • I’m not sure if he is a person so much as an embodiment of a dark principle. I think someone called him the American id, which sounds about right.
  • I’m not sure if he is a person so much as an embodiment of a dark principle. I think someone called him the American id, which sounds about right.

A figure out of American Gods (the series rather than the book - as everyone in the former has at least a faint air of ridiculousness about them).
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited October 19
    But Potus Blump also has a faint air of the ridiculousness about him, like a character in a Jack Chick tract.

Doesn't make him any the less Ghastly, Black, Orange, or sheer, plain, Hellish, though.

Isn't he described somewhere in C S Lewis' 'The Screwtape Letters' ? Or maybe one of Lewis' other books? The Calormenes' Great God Tash, maybe?

There seems to be some sort of completely negative energy about him. Perhaps he's made of anti-matter, or something.
  • ...just imagining the kind of tract Jack Chick would draw about T, particularly after T's "coming of God" self-proclamation...
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited October 20
    Trump is a real person, not a representative of America, or types of Americans except that he is the President. His reprehensible behavior and attitudes, especially the way he seems to relate to other people, remind me of people I have had the misfortune to know in my legal career in Australia. He is not an outlier, he is a win-at-all-costs businessman, and they are a dime a dozen. He is nothing more than a selfish prick, nothing special.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    not a representative of America

This is the deepest sort of idiotic wrongness that only a zealot could possibly convince themselves of. Trump absolutely is a representative of America. More than that, he is the definitive result of the mode of representational democracy employed by the United States of America. While it is not a comprehensive representation, or perhaps even a proportionally ideal representation, it is the agreed upon moderated version.

Don't blame the mirror for making you ugly.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate

RooK wrote: »

This is the deepest sort of idiotic wrongness that only a zealot could possibly convince themselves of. Trump absolutely is a representative of America. More than that, he is the definitive result of the mode of representational democracy employed by the United States of America. While it is not a comprehensive representation, or perhaps even a proportionally ideal representation, it is the agreed upon moderated version.

Word. Trump IS America. Don't believe it? Just ask him.
  • RooK wrote: »

I did mention that he was President... He's just an ordinary, common or garden arsehole behaving like arseholes do. I was challenging the notion that he is 'an embodiment of a dark principle' or 'the American id' or 'a figure out of American Gods'. That stuff gives him what he craves: status and attention. Better to dismiss him as nothing special, with no particular talent or significance.
  • Simon, I took your comment as a reminder that there are lots of decent, intelligent, caring Americans, who have all the qualities Trump lacks. In that sense he does not represent his country, President or not.
  • That's the way I took it, too.
  • Well I certainly agree with that too. Nobody who spends time on the ship could think otherwise.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Well I certainly agree with that too. Nobody who spends time on the ship could think otherwise.

Nobody who has visited the US could think otherwise either.

It's a cute little echo chamber you've all found for yourselves, but it's still fucked up.

While it's true that there are very fine people, on both sides, focusing on that bypasses the uncomfortable truth that there is a significant problem blatantly demonstrated by the very existence of Cheeto Hitler. And the problem is not that he's a mundanely terrible person, even though he clearly is. The kernel of the problem is that he is an avatar for the mindless fear much of 'Merica has given in to - the real, palpable, long-term victory of the 9/11 terrorists. He is everything they hoped for, and more.
  • He gives voice to the mundane and ordinary part of America because he is part of it. His attitudes and those of his supporters are part of European culture that progressives have been trying to move away from for all my life, and a few lifetimes before that. Racism, sexism, homophobia are the standard of previous generations, not only in the USA but across the European world.

When I was born, the whole of Australia was informally segregated (mostly, in some places it was formal) and it was official Govt policy to separate kids from Aboriginal families, especially mixed race kids, so they would assimilate into white society. If you didn't speak English, you could be denied entry into the country. If you did speak English but you looked the wrong sort, you could be denied entry because you couldn't read simple instructions in the European language chosen by the customs official.

I won't mansplain the experiences of women in the same period.

The point is that Trump is nothing special. He is at the head of a nasty political movement today, but so is Nigel Farrage, Rush Limburgh and that fucker with the pool boy.

Trump is just your usual fucknuckle bigot. There are plenty where he came from. Nothing special.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Must disagree. 45 IS special; it's his stock-in-trade, and it's precisely his brand of special which his supporters admire, envy, and crave.

Here most of us poor schlumps struggle along, doing our best to keep wolf-packs from the door by doing as we're told, taking sensible (we hope) precautions and expert (we trust) advice, coloring within the lines and following the rules laid out for us by those in power.

Where has that got most of us? One major illness or accident / one major economic setback away from utter destitution. (For many of us, the event need not even be all that major.)

Along comes King Rule-Breaker Rat-Fucker Supreme. From this distant, it looks like he gets what he (we) wants -- wealth, power, influence, adulation, security -- by NEVER doing what he's told (or even what he said he'd do), NEVER taken precautions or forethought, blowing expert advice out the window, using the coloring book for toilet paper and the crayons for map-making and responding to rules as though they were created specifically to thwart him. A great many citizens not-so-secretly would gleefully trade their left eye, right boob, and firstborn child to do exactly as he does.

But we don't dare; we're craven; we've been Good Little Rule-Followers and absolutely everything we've managed to scrape together is on the line for the slightest misstep. So we just go buy a gun -- that's perfectly legal -- and shoot up the workplace we just got fired from because the spouse developed cancer and our health insurance costs now nibble at their bottom line.
  • He does seem to break the political mould, in that nobody else seems to get away with sexual and financial misconduct like Trump, let alone his connection to Putin. That last aspect in particular should have sunk him with the "traditional" "values" voter.

My fervent and pollyanna-like hope is that one day this dam of sleaze is going to burst and wash him and his family into the middle of the Atlantic, where the stain on the ocean will be visible from space.

But apart from his magic trick he is nothing special, in that there are and have been plenty of successful politicians who have represented the same demographic in equally awful ways.

Also, his rule breaking and refusal to take advice already destroyed his business empire. I understand that he is a magician, with parallels to the Wizard of Oz. One day, I hope to be able to compare Nancy Pelosi with Dorothy.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited October 23
    hmm. I'm not sure that post came together.

Trump's magic trick is to so far avoid political responsibility for his manifest and multiple failures, both on a personal level and as President. Like the Wizard of OZ, he is a weak and small man operating steam-driven machinery to disguise his true nature.

That's what I meant...
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    I picked that up
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Like the Wizard of OZ, he is a weak and small man operating steam-driven machinery to disguise his true nature.

Nicely-put.
  • If Trump really is so unusual and so special, how did so many people (about 25% of the electorate IIRC) vote for him? Not an overall majority, nor even a majority of those who voted but how did tens of millions go along with this?

Then again you could ask how 17 million went along with the crock of shite known as Brexit.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    See my explanation above. TL;DR? Citizens regularly and routinely abused as the direct result of "following all the rules" will, out of protest , spite, envy, vengeance, or would-be emulation, elect a rule-breaker to office. The citizens still can't break the rules, but they may be happy to egg on leaders who trash the rules which screw up citizens' lives.
  • Ohher wrote: »
    See my explanation above. TL;DR? Citizens regularly and routinely abused as the direct result of "following all the rules" will, out of protest , spite, envy, vengeance, or would-be emulation, elect a rule-breaker to office. The citizens still can't break the rules, but they may be happy to egg on leaders who trash the rules which screw up citizens' lives.

That's about it. I did find your earlier post a bit hard but it's all in there. Explains why we have a womanizer in the top job here too. Your president might be more of a bully but I reckon our PM leads on the delusion stakes.
    There's a broader undercurrent of a cold civil war underway. The flailing of the political muppets is distracting, and can be misleading.
  • In my darker moods, I tend to focus on that, and also on a stroke fantasy where Trump is incapacitated but lives on for years and years.
  • RooK wrote: »
    There's a broader undercurrent of a cold civil war underway. The flailing of the political muppets is distracting, and can be misleading.

That's been going on for a lonnnggg time, actually, and not always so cold. There's lots of tinder for that fire. A few more sparks, and we could have a wildfire.

When I've mentioned this concern on the Ship before, I've been told I'm wrong.
    Golden Key wrote: »
    When I've mentioned this concern on the Ship before, I've been told I'm wrong.

Was that before or after the advent of Mango Mussolini?
  • Both, IIRC.
  • As one commenter explained, "You're either with John Wayne or Jane Fonda." (Although the divisions go much further back. )
  • And speaking of civil war:

"Right-wing pastor says Trump supporters will 'hunt down' Democrats when he leaves office" (Independent, via Yahoo).

It gets worse:
    Meanwhile, moments before a World Series game was set to begin, a longtime Major League Baseball umpire threatened to buy an AR-15 and join a civil war if Mr Trump is impeached. Rob Drake wrote his threat on Twitter, then deleted it.

"I will be buying an AR-15 tomorrow, because if you impeach MY PRESIDENT this way, YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER CIVAL (sic) WAR!!! #MAGA2020," he wrote. "You can't do an impeachment inquiry from the basement of Capital(sic) Hill without even a vote! What is going on in this country?"