Trumpton - the rant thread

12728293133

Comments

  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited February 20
    Roger Stone has been sentenced to 40 months in prison plus a $20,000 fine. The details:
    • 40 months sentence on count 1 of the indictment (Obstruction of Proceeding)
    • 12 months each for counts 2 through 6 (False Statements), to be served concurrently with count 1
    • 18 months for count 7 (Witness Tampering), also to be served concurrently
    • 24 months of supervised release after imprisonment
    • $20,000 fine

    I'm sure Trump's twitter feed is going to be lit after this. He was already live-tweeting the sentencing hearing. I guess he doesn't have anything else to do.

    [ also posted in Purgatory ]
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 20
    Well, Great Orange God-Emperors usually leave the real work (however awful or distasteful) to their underlings, don't they?
    :grimace:
  • Roger Stone has a black heart. May he burn.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited February 21
    tRump has criticised Parasite's Oscar win because the film is 'from South Korea'. The Orange Idiot says the US has trade problems with South Korea and wonders if ‘we can get Gone With the Wind back’.

    “Was it good? I don’t know. I’m looking for, like – can we get like Gone With The Wind back, please?” Trump said, to loud cheers.

    This says much about his personality, politics, xenophobia, lack of brain etc etc.

    But maybe he’s also seeing the beginning of the end for Hollywood’s dominance?

    Fear drives his every word and action, I think.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I’ve just found the riposte -

    “Responding to the president's criticism, Parasite distributor Neon tweeted: "Understandable, he can't read."

    Excellent 👏🏼👏🏼
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    I’ve just found the riposte -

    “Responding to the president's criticism, Parasite distributor Neon tweeted: "Understandable, he can't read."

    Excellent 👏🏼👏🏼

    Neon - 👏🏻👏🏻 Not worthy!
  • I'd sort of assumed that The Great Orange God-Emperor didn't actually need to be able to read, as his Tame Daemons did it for Him.

    Hopefully, one day (soon), He, too will be Gone with the Wind...
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    tRump has criticised Parasite's Oscar win because the film is 'from South Korea'. The Orange Idiot says the US has trade problems with South Korea and wonders if ‘we can get Gone With the Wind back’.

    “Was it good? I don’t know. I’m looking for, like – can we get like Gone With The Wind back, please?” Trump said, to loud cheers.

    This says much about his personality, politics, xenophobia, lack of brain etc etc.

    But maybe he’s also seeing the beginning of the end for Hollywood’s dominance?

    Fear drives his every word and action, I think.

    Given the fact that this vehemently racist, sexist, revisionist depiction of the Lost Cause airs predictably on national TV at anniversaries of its spawning creation, the real question should be how to drive a stake through the damn thing's heart preparatory to permanent internment.

    A few years back, in an effort to determine how closely the film script hewed to the novel, I attempted to read Gone With the Wind. I couldn't. The wretched schlock is unreadable. I can only assume Mitchell had damning scandalous or criminal info on the publisher who put this out; there's no other convincing explanation for how this obscenity ever got printed for public consumption.
  • I've never tried to read GWTW. Watching the movie was the longest afternoon of my life. (My parents were driving, so I couldn't leave.)
  • Gone With The Wind brings back memories of watching it when I was upset, drinking a box of wine, and crying my eyes out. (It was many years ago. Physically I couldn't drink that amount any more.)
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 21
    Nowadays people watch The Great Orange God-Emperor instead, whilst being upset, drinking wine, and crying their eyes out...
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I've never tried to read GWTW. Watching the movie was the longest afternoon of my life ...
    Same here - that's four and a half hours I shan't get back.
  • GWTW is one of those lengthy ordeals to get one good line. I'd rather see the movie version of Leviticus.
  • I love GWTW book and the movie. I would guess I have seen the movie 3 times, and read to book twice. To each his/her own.
  • It gets included in lists of "100 Best Books" on a regular basis. How good is it?
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host, Hell Host
    ...And yes @Bishops Finger STM. Who behaved goodly and badly like the rest of us.
    Few people ever deserved canonization less than Sir Thomas More, a man with his own private home torture chambers (one in the garden for fine weather, the other in the house) who always made it a point to attend the burnings of his victims (punctilious, no?), and who loathed women but felt unable to be chaste, so he made a point of marrying the uneducated and then insisted that all dinner conversation be conducted in Latin. What a great guy!

  • I found it turgid and hard to get through. It needed a ruthless editor and didn't get one.
  • >turgid and hard<

    :astonished:
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Two possibly related items from Trumpworld.

    Item #1: the Supreme Court put a stay on a lower court's injunction, allowing the INS to implement Trump's "public charge" rule.
    A rule that creates new barriers to low-income immigrants seeking to enter the US went into effect on Monday, bringing to fruition the kind of vast restrictions on legal immigration that President Donald Trump has long sought.

    The so-called “public charge” rule, published in August by the Department of Homeland Security, establishes a test to determine whether an immigrant applying to enter the US, extend their visa, or convert their temporary immigration status into a green card is likely to end up relying on public benefits in the future.

    Immigration officials will now have more leeway to turn away those who are “likely to be a public charge” based on an evaluation of 20 factors, ranging from the use of certain public benefits programs — including food stamps, Section 8 housing vouchers, and Medicaid — to English language proficiency.

    The rule affects immigrants applying for green cards nationwide and at consulates abroad, as well as those applying for temporary visas overseas such as tourists, business travelers, students, and skilled workers.

    Item #2: the creation of an Orwellian-sounding "Denaturalization Section" of the Justice Department to strip U.S. citizenship from anyone whose naturalization was obtained via false pretenses.
    The Department of Justice today announced the creation of a section dedicated to investigating and litigating revocation of naturalization. The Denaturalization Section will join the existing sections within the Civil Division’s Office of Immigration Litigation — the District Court Section and the Appellate Section. This move underscores the Department’s commitment to bring justice to terrorists, war criminals, sex offenders, and other fraudsters who illegally obtained naturalization.

    The fact that the Department of Justice thinks it's going to need a specific section devoted to stripping Americans of their citizenship implies that they're expecting a lot more of those cases in the near future. What do you the odds are that a lot of those cases will be premised on violations of the newly-implemented "public charge" regulations?
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I wonder if this Coronavirus will affect his presidency adversely?

    It may highlight problems with a health which only money can access. It may show everyone, even his supporters, that all he can do is waffle unintelligibly, and lie. Maybe it will show just how few checks there are on his power.

    At least de-Pfeffel will have to listen to the experts. Trump - no chance of that!

    It could be a bright side to a nasty bug’s history?
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Crœsos wrote: »
    Two possibly related items from Trumpworld.

    Item #1: the Supreme Court put a stay on a lower court's injunction, allowing the INS to implement Trump's "public charge" rule.
    A rule that creates new barriers to low-income immigrants seeking to enter the US went into effect on Monday, bringing to fruition the kind of vast restrictions on legal immigration that President Donald Trump has long sought.

    The so-called “public charge” rule, published in August by the Department of Homeland Security, establishes a test to determine whether an immigrant applying to enter the US, extend their visa, or convert their temporary immigration status into a green card is likely to end up relying on public benefits in the future.

    Immigration officials will now have more leeway to turn away those who are “likely to be a public charge” based on an evaluation of 20 factors, ranging from the use of certain public benefits programs — including food stamps, Section 8 housing vouchers, and Medicaid — to English language proficiency.

    The rule affects immigrants applying for green cards nationwide and at consulates abroad, as well as those applying for temporary visas overseas such as tourists, business travelers, students, and skilled workers.

    Item #2: the creation of an Orwellian-sounding "Denaturalization Section" of the Justice Department to strip U.S. citizenship from anyone whose naturalization was obtained via false pretenses.
    The Department of Justice today announced the creation of a section dedicated to investigating and litigating revocation of naturalization. The Denaturalization Section will join the existing sections within the Civil Division’s Office of Immigration Litigation — the District Court Section and the Appellate Section. This move underscores the Department’s commitment to bring justice to terrorists, war criminals, sex offenders, and other fraudsters who illegally obtained naturalization.

    The fact that the Department of Justice thinks it's going to need a specific section devoted to stripping Americans of their citizenship implies that they're expecting a lot more of those cases in the near future. What do you the odds are that a lot of those cases will be premised on violations of the newly-implemented "public charge" regulations?

    Having to use English has been proved to be unconstitutional. I hope people are pointing this out.

    It seems both our governments need to start being human. Both are trying to stop low paid immigration. I don’t think any of them are human.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 27
    I have suggested before that The Great Orange God-Emperor, The Mad Mophead, and our other Evil Overlords, are, in fact, from another galaxy, and that they are bent on World Domination, and the enslavement of all Humming Beans.

    I can't prove this, but neither can anyone prove me wrong...
    :scream:
  • Boogie wrote: »
    I wonder if this Coronavirus will affect his presidency adversely?

    It may highlight problems with a health which only money can access. It may show everyone, even his supporters, that all he can do is waffle unintelligibly, and lie. Maybe it will show just how few checks there are on his power.

    At least de-Pfeffel will have to listen to the experts. Trump - no chance of that!

    It could be a bright side to a nasty bug’s history?

    I'm just expecting him to blame it on Obama.

  • Boogie wrote: »
    I wonder if this Coronavirus will affect his presidency adversely?

    It may highlight problems with a health which only money can access. It may show everyone, even his supporters, that all he can do is waffle unintelligibly, and lie. Maybe it will show just how few checks there are on his power.

    At least de-Pfeffel will have to listen to the experts. Trump - no chance of that!

    It could be a bright side to a nasty bug’s history?

    Immediately the Tashkent choleria riots (1891?) comes to mind as an example of the mishandling of a public health issue being the immediate cause of a forceful expression of social unrest. (Interestingly, Christian ham-handedness regarding Muslim practice.) You may get your wish. The Covid-19 Riots of 2020? Not likely, I should think, but events consistently prove me wrong.

    /tangent/ I would have preferred "Corvid-19" - 19 ravens as a harbinger of doom. Again, I am disappointed./end tangent/
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I'm just expecting him to blame it on Obama.

    Absolutely. The Corona Virus is clearly a direct result of Obama allowing an Ebola infestation to rampage unchecked throughout the United States.

  • /tangent/ I would have preferred "Corvid-19" - 19 ravens as a harbinger of doom. Again, I am disappointed./end tangent/

    I thought that warranted repeating. :smile:
  • Yes, and it may be that The Day Of Doom is indeed approaching both Trumperica, and Boris Island.

    The Great Orange God-Emperor, and The Mad Mophead, will soon, one hopes, be just two interesting (but salutary) footnotes to history.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    At least de Pfeffel isn’t calling the virus a hoax.
  • Yet.
  • Having a unified health service where the top dogs aren't government appointees probably helps on that front, in that it couldn't be left to the political prejudices of someone like Mr Pence - if the current Health Secretary or the Prime Minister tried to contradict the NHS' top clinical bods they would get shouted down very loudly. We also have a slightly different take on trusting doctors: although there are definitely anti-vaxxers in the UK, I get the impression that more people are vocal about not trusting medical advice on such things in the USA.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    It started with denying evolution, and staggered through a general mistrust of science into outright denial of things like 1) simple medical technology, and 2) the earth being a spheroid. The parallel disregard for treason or abuses of power as being fundamentally disqualifying for the presidency is hard to ignore.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    If Coronavirus hurts Trump, I think it's going to be indirectly. The Dow has taken a massive hit in the last couple of days, which is bad news for a president who bases his popularity (such as it is) on the health of the economy.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    If Coronavirus hurts Trump, I think it's going to be indirectly. The Dow has taken a massive hit in the last couple of days, which is bad news for a president who bases his popularity (such as it is) on the health of the economy.

    Given Current Occupant's apparent definition of "economic health" -- (i.e. = "I personally have access to enough movable shells and peas to bafflegab my way through any deal my hench-thugs can dream up, and the rest of you cry-babies can go whistle or to jail or whatever), I am not personally feeling all that sanguine about the immediate future.
  • Meanwhile, from India Today, a news agency in India where Don Trumpo has gone for unknown reasons. This is what he said previously: Donald Trump thought Nepal and Bhutan were in India. Called them Nipple and Button.

    If you want to actually watch the news report about this, it's here: https://twitter.com/BrookeBCNN/status/1092528936578215937 starting at about 1'50" in.

    Nipple and Button. Can't decide it this is a misnamed folk band, the name of a quaint old pub, or a heavy metal song about sex and drugs.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Gaaah. And to think that the Dem choices now appear to be narrowing down to three more old white men . . . Granted, only one of them seems gaga, and only occasionally.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Nipple and Button screams BDSM to me.
  • I can't see The Great Orange God-Emperor being into BDSM.

    BDSM requires imagination, and creativity (or so I am told).
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    Nipple and Button screams BDSM to me.
    We don't seem to have a private board for that anymore, but indeed, "Nipple and Button" would have seemed an an apt name for it.

  • I expect the participants on that former board got tied up with something else.

    I'll get me handcuffs...
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Utterly thick.

    This clip is dumbfounding - Eventually tRump seems to get it, but does he?

    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/02/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-vaccine-push-back/index.html

    “Donald Trump, members of the administration's coronavirus task force, and executives from leading American pharmaceutical companies would gather in the West Wing, discuss the national response to the public-health emergency, and the public would see leading officials engaged in trying to solve the problem.

    But in practice, what the public actually saw was a confused president.”
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 4
    But that's what they ALWAYS see.

    Not that it makes the slightest difference - The Great Orange God-Emperor will rule for a Thousand Years!

    It says so in the Bible, somewhere, I think. Ask a Trumperican Fundevangelist - he'll tell you.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    The latest I've seen from the Orange Moron is that he thinks they can use the flu vaccine to cure the coronavirus.

    Heaven help us.
  • Are there prayers to damn someone?
  • No, no - he may be on to something. Didn't they use fluid from Cowpox blisters to cure Smallpox, back in the 18thC?

    He probably thinks he's being really up-to-date, hip, cool, and modern, as any proper God-Emperor should naturally be.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    We are underestimating Trump's Very Stable Genius. He is deliberately blocking efforts to effectively address COVID-19 so that, ohhhhhhhh, about September (October at the latest) he will issue an Executive Order stating that, as a public health measure, the November elections are suspended. After all, it isn't healthy to have all those people congregating at polling places. This is to protect the American People, which is what a truly great President does (unlike those evil Democrats, who want you to jeopardize your health by coming out to vote!)

    Now, don't panic! He will also assure us that we will certainly have elections...just as soon as he declares that the public health emergency is over.

    Which, he has been told by very smart people, will be when pigs fly.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    We are underestimating Trump's Very Stable Genius. He is deliberately blocking efforts to effectively address COVID-19 so that, ohhhhhhhh, about September (October at the latest) he will issue an Executive Order stating that, as a public health measure, the November elections are suspended. After all, it isn't healthy to have all those people congregating at polling places. This is to protect the American People, which is what a truly great President does (unlike those evil Democrats, who want you to jeopardize your health by coming out to vote!)

    Now, don't panic! He will also assure us that we will certainly have elections...just as soon as he declares that the public health emergency is over.

    Which, he has been told by very smart people, will be when pigs fly.

    I'm worried about something a little more subtle, like say putting Democratic-leaning urban areas in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, etc. under quarantine. Trump doesn't do subtle, but it seems like an idea that might occur to Stephen Miller or Mick Mulvaney.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Are there prayers to damn someone?

    Psalm 69 does the trick, and it is surrounded by cries for God's help for the victim of the evildoers.
    22 Let their table become a snare before them: and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.

    23 Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not; and make their loins continually to shake.

    24 Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.

    25 Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents.

    26 For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the grief of those whom thou hast wounded.

    27 Add iniquity unto their iniquity: and let them not come into thy righteousness.

    28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Re praying someone dead/damned:

    My *personal* preference is to pray for the person to do/be better, for the damage done to them be healed, and the damage *they've* done. For *me*, that's healthier, and more in line with the way I think I should approach life. (Not that I don't ever *want* someone to be dropped in a volcano, etc.)

    I heard a story about a really obnoxious guy who was causing havoc in his neighborhood. Everybody'd had it with him. Some of them chatted about him, and decided on focusing prayers, thoughts, energy, etc. on his "going to the place of his best good". I don't know how long it took; but he suddenly moved away, without any notice. I don't know if the neighbors' focus had anything to do with that. But I like the approach.


  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    edited March 5
    I have to keep prefacing my prayers for my friend with "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that for the liars, not really, I hope that they don't even though they're more likely to catch it than I am". I'd really like for them to come clean and put things right, which would probably hurt them to some extent, but would help with healing my friend.
    I should take the same attitude with Trump etc.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Are there prayers to damn someone?

    Could the CofE's "Commination Against Sinners" fit the bill? Here it is.

    I like "Cursed is he that moveth his neighbours landmark".
Sign In or Register to comment.