Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Hilarious - he won’t wear a mask because it’s not a good look. Is there anything about this man that ever has looked good?

New guidance on PPE? https://tinyurl.com/y85akn3r

🤣🤣🤣

But, seriously. I think he’s looked at the people who this virus is killing and he’s decided they are worth sacrificing on the alter of the ‘economy’.

It won’t work. Wall Street will crash if he continues on this course - he’ll bring about his fears of economic depression.

I’m looking forward to the video of him jumping off Trump Tower.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I fear that the virus will explode in the USA, like it is on the verge of exploding in Brazil.
  • .perhaps he really did catch the virus from his butler or whatever the person is. the tests have false negatives....
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    I fear that the virus will explode in the USA, like it is on the verge of exploding in Brazil.
    I fear the same. I just hope that the people it carries off will be the mask-refusing, long-rifle-toting "protesters" (terrorists is more like it) who gather with their Trump signs and Confederate flags (who knew that Michigan treasured Southern heritage?), and not the innocent oldsters and others who can't properly protect themselves from covid-19.

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    (who knew that Michigan treasured Southern heritage?)

As I mentioned elsewhere, Henry Morrow must be spinning in his grave.
  • edited May 9
    Can some one please do an aerosol splattering fart in his general direction? And thank-you to the good doctor for the information. Which actually made it to some news in Canada.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    The WaPo headline reads
    McConnell says he was ‘wrong’ to claim Obama didn’t leave a pandemic plan

Wrong or a manipulative, lying, toadyish git?
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Zappa wrote: »
    The WaPo headline reads

All that and getting caught for it. This is called "walking it back," and the GoP specializes in it. Say whatever ignorant baloney you want to get The Base all happy and excited, and then if the press proves you wrong, brush it off with a faint apology. But the lie is still out there. (Thank God for a free press, though.)
    Thank you, @Mamacita.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Just a spoonful of Clorox ...

https://tinyurl.com/y8q5e7o9

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    That's precious!
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I love Randy Rainbow!
    :lol:
  • Barnabas_AusBarnabas_Aus Shipmate
    This seems to fit in with the theme of this thread.
  • Thanks @Barnabas_Aus - I particularly liked the last sentence:

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.
    :grimace:
  • Barnabas_AusBarnabas_Aus Shipmate
    Indeed BF - sums him up to perfection!
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    I feel as if I've read this before somewhere, particularly these golden lines:
    After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.
    I think someone posted it already. No problem; it bears repetition.
    Zappa wrote: »
    The WaPo headline reads

Hey hey, come on. No need to get personal. I have my own hell thread for that.
    Further to today's teaser about an upcoming Presidential Order concerning social media, I predict that the US Govt is launching a new social media platform called Trump in Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace. They are taking over Myspace, you see.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Ok, please help me out with the "Shakespeare of Shit" quote:

I presume a good bit of it is borrowed from Will himself, 'cept he probably didn't give that name to himself, and Picasso wasn't around yet. I did a search on it, and checked several sites. None gives the root of the piece. I did find an extended version:

"Why Do The Brits Hate Trump? You’ve Got to Read This Englishman’s Take-Down of Donny Dipshit" (TP Fleming).
    Does Trumpface work for you GK?
    Explain, please? I'm asking an honest question. LC posted it, and people seemed to recognize the quote. I didn't, and I'm trying to find out.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    It has a lot of currency on the internet, but all in association with this piece. As far as I can tell it was created by a man called Nate White who lives in London and works as a copywriter. It appears that he posted it on Quora on 11th February, 2019,
    Thanks, BroJames! I'm not on social media, so I don't hear about a lot of that stuff.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    He's threatening summary executions now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52846679

This is fascism.
  • A silly question, perhaps, as I have no idea how Twitter works, but, if The Mad King were to have his Twitter account suspended, would he still be able to send out his lunatic rants via someone else's account?

IYSWIM.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    A silly question, perhaps, as I have no idea how Twitter works, but, if The Mad King were to have his Twitter account suspended, would he still be able to send out his lunatic rants via someone else's account?

IYSWIM.

He could create a new one. If someone gives him their username and password he could use theirs.
    I wonder if he'd use one of his known aliases? I don't remember any of them. But IIRC some had Twitter accounts.
    KarlLB wrote: »
    He's threatening summary executions now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52846679

This is fascism.

I don't know if I'd put that label on it, though I usually don't use it at all. And what he's commanding, cheering for is absolutely, unequivocally wrong to do, and wrong for him to approve.

And/but

The situation in Minneapolis is extremely out of control. Don't know if you've seen anything beyond that article; but a police officer murdered an African-American man by use of extreme force, in broad daylight in a public place, with witnesses. And the accompanying officers didn't stop him.

The protestors are absolutely right to feel enraged. The protest has turned into a huge, violent battle, plus looting, and even forcing their way into a police station a few hours ago. AIUI, the cops are in on the violence. And the mayor (?) has requested the National Guard to come in. And it's spilling over to other cities. (I also wrote about some of this on the prayer thread within the last couple of hours.)

Anything T suggests is going to be exactly the opposite of what needs to be done. I just hope that someone with common sense, a working moral compass, and some skill in peacening (making peaceful) crowds figures out what do do and does it, and that it succeeds.
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    A silly question, perhaps, as I have no idea how Twitter works, but, if The Mad King were to have his Twitter account suspended, would he still be able to send out his lunatic rants via someone else's account?

IYSWIM.

He could create a new one. If someone gives him their username and password he could use theirs.

I see - thanks.

I wonder if the rants themselves would be a sure-fire giveaway as to who was ranting?

Or (scary thought) some other miscreant could create Trump-like rants, and pretend they were from/by him - is that possible?
    :scream:

• KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    KarlLB wrote: »

IYSWIM.

I see - thanks.

I wonder if the rants themselves would be a sure-fire giveaway as to who was ranting?

Or (scary thought) some other miscreant could create Trump-like rants, and pretend they were from/by him - is that possible?
    :scream:

Why would it not be?
  • AnselminaAnselmina Shipmate
    Saw the film footage of George Floyd's (effectual) death, with the police officer kneeling on his neck. All through the time when he was saying he couldn't breathe, to when it was clear he had passed out and was totally unresponsive. The detail that made my heart ache even more was the stream of urine running out from under the vehicle, as he was losing his life. I understand the guy was being arrested for suspected counterfeit money offences (a $20 note?). Why that should've led to him being suffocated into incontinence and death, when apparently he had not resisted arrest and had been restrained and cuffed before being put on the ground, I don't know.

Scenes in Minneapolis like Belfast in the 70s.
  • Well, as I said, I don't really know how Twitter works, so I'll take your reply as a 'Yes'!

:scream: x lots...
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    The massive response and outcry over the burning of a Target compared calls for a calm, measured response when confronted with the murder of detained citizen on camera by agents of the state just reconfirms that white people's property is considered more important than black people's lives.
  • There's video of responses, including of a CNN team being arrested in Minneapolis . Which is worthy of watching, as it shows the nature of confrontation. https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1266315061221613569?s=20

Do the riots express that the people who feel helpless are tired being excluded? Think so. It's hard to accept mainstream values of a country which also carries the values to not accept you and to exclude you.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    There's video of responses, including of a CNN team being arrested in Minneapolis . Which is worthy of watching, as it shows the nature of confrontation. https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1266315061221613569?s=20

CNN's Omar Jimenez was arrested for the "crime" of doing his job before the killers of George Floyd were arrested. Priorities! One wonders how the police would have treated him if the cameras hadn't been rolling.

CNN's Josh Campbell was also reporting on the ground in Minneapolis and was not arrested. Any idea why the police might have treated Campbell and Jimenez so differently?
    Do the riots express that the people who feel helpless are tired being excluded? Think so.

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - MLK, Jr., 1966
    JFK said something to the effect of "If you don't allow peaceful change, you ensure violent change".
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Explain, please? I'm asking an honest question. LC posted it, and people seemed to recognize the quote. I didn't, and I'm trying to find out.

I just meant to create a name for a social media site controlled by the US Government. As Trump puts his name on everything, I suggested Trumpspace then Trumpface. Trumpspace kind of got messed up because I found Trumps in Spaaaaaace a funnier idea.

I'm not sure what @Alan Cresswell is referring to. I shall have to google it.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    “Tonight, I understand, is MAGA NIGHT AT THE WHITE HOUSE???” he [Trump] wrote on Twitter, using the acronym for his first campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

Asked about the tweet later, he denied encouraging violence by his supporters. “They love African American people,” he said. “They love black people. MAGA loves the black people.”
    Source.

"They love black people." Condescension much? They are just people. Not "black people." Just people. Like me. And sort of like you, you racist moron, except that they are smarter and more decent than you are, you utter bag of shit.
    I can usually watch Trump, waiting for his stupid mistakes. But I can't at the moment.
  • edited June 1
    “Tonight, I understand, is MAGA NIGHT AT THE WHITE HOUSE???”

Trump is apparently channelling Glenda Slagg.
  • Possibly, the difference being that Glenda Slagg is at least amusing...
    Tonight, The Worst U.S. President in History had cops and the National Guard clear away peaceful protesters from near the White House before curfew, using flashbangs and teargas, so that he could have a photo op in front of nearby St. John's Episcopal Church. He hoisted a Bible (I'm surprised he got it right side up); his minions did not bother to inform church officials that they would be using the historic house of worship for propaganda purposes. He really has no shame at all. (But we knew that.)

• Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    I know. And I had hoped to avoid vomiting tonight...
  • Graven ImageGraven Image Shipmate
    Thankfully both the Presiding Bishop and the Bishop of Washington have issued statements of outrage.
  • D'ya think 45 cares? D'ya think any of said minions dared or cared to tell him? Does anyone in his base give a fuck what a Bishop thinks about him? Is there to be found one decent man or woman in the West Wing who will put the republic before their own profit? The man cannot move without eliciting disgust in the decent, and debasing those who conduct with him. He taints all he touches. I feel a philippic coming on.
    PG--

And what do you think that decent person should do? (Legally and non-violently, of course.)
    edited June 2
    Possibly, the difference being that Glenda Slagg is at least amusing...

well well well. Now I know where Rita Skeeter from Harry Potter comes from.
    D'ya think 45 cares? D'ya think any of said minions dared or cared to tell him? Does anyone in his base give a fuck what a Bishop thinks about him? Is there to be found one decent man or woman in the West Wing who will put the republic before their own profit? The man cannot move without eliciting disgust in the decent, and debasing those who conduct with him. He taints all he touches. I feel a philippic coming on.

Nailed it.
    PG--

And what do you think that decent person should do? (Legally and non-violently, of course.)

Resign and condemn him.

• Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited June 2
    PG--

Resign. Publish. Whistle blow. Sacrifice your career on the altar of the republic. Is there greater honour to be gained by hanging on and hoping for the best, to influence the course of events? Not any more. Time to evolve into vertebrates and denounce the swamp. The stakes have now become too high to be paralysed by pearl clutching.

1) Well passed 100,000 dead from C-19
    2) An avoidable 40,000,000 unemployed as a result of the pandemic
    3) A degraded international reputation, by combination of bluster and incoherence
    4) An inability to give any meaningful guidance in a time of civil unrest not seen in 50 years

Shall I go on?