Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• HugalHugal Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Trump vaccine. Won't that be grand?

Will it protect us from Trump? (A measles vaccine, for example, is supposed to protect us from measles...)

Alas I think not. How ever a few good brandies and it won’t matter
  • More than the past ten presidents put together... Every president since, and including, Eisenhower. Wow. Quite the record. OTOH, if Jeff doesn't know the difference between Japan and China, I can't expect him to be Doris Kearns Goodwin. If stupidity were a crime, we could make sure that he never voted again. (See Trump thread in Purg.)
  • That sort of stuff reminds me of those sports entertainment shows where they walk up to somebody who looks like they might be a likely idiot and ask them to speak on the topic of the day for the amusement of their audience. Sensible people are edited out.
  • I think you're right @Simon Toad . I volunteer with pretty marginal, sometimes homeless men. You'd have to try pretty hard to find one in twenty who was that out of touch with reality, and probably include those who were pissed at the time of the interview, to get something usable on tape.
  • I suspect 'Jeff' was actually Homer Simpson (Local Boob) doing a bit of moonlighting from his demanding post at Springfield Nuclear Power Plant...
  • Something to make you all laugh. Trump claims to have won a non-existent award, and that Biden won the Nobel Prize. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/trump-claims-he-won-non-existent-bay-of-pigs-award-and-says-biden-won-nobel-peace-prize/ar-BB191eEa?ocid=msedgdhp
  • edited September 14
  • Does The Mad God-King actually know which planet He's been beamed down onto?

Or what day it is?
    :confounded:

O well - it doesn't matter. Jeff of Ohio thinks the Wall - the Big, Beautiful Wall - has been built.

There is, clearly, No Hope...
    :disappointed:
  • Perhaps only a small thing. Everyone knows what a Coastguard cutter is - a small fast vessel for catching smugglers and other undesirable people. Not any more. From an article that just arrived, I see that in the USA it has become a National Security Cutter.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 16
    Ah - presumably there is now a land-based version, to protect The Wall?

Big, Beautiful, and Built it may be, but those Bad Hombres will still try to get over, under, or past it...
  • I think Pink Floyd are overrated and that their songs are boring. Shine on You Crazy Diamond is ok...
  • Replaying the 2016 recording by YG featuring Nipsy - "FDT". It's no more NSFW than the man.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeftie7axUs
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    I think Pink Floyd are overrated and that their songs are boring. Shine on You Crazy Diamond is ok...

Is this an intentional non sequitur to make some kind of point?
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    I think Pink Floyd are overrated and that their songs are boring. Shine on You Crazy Diamond is ok...

Is this an intentional non sequitur to make some kind of point?

The Wall.
    Mentioned immediately above
  • Meanwhile, God's Gift To Wimmin is being accused of yet another groping incident.

If it is true, WHY IS THIS MAN NOT IN PRISON????
  • Well, accusation is not the same as proof. But there are many things Trump should be in prison for, for which there is plenty of evidence.
  • I meant if the accusation is true - and he Did Do It...but yes, I take your point.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    “And you’ll develop — you’ll develop herd — like a herd mentality,” said tRump.

This is very true. His supporters do indeed show herd mentality.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    JonahMan wrote: »
    There are many things Trump should be in prison for, for which there is plenty of evidence.
    All in good time. All in good time.
  • JonahMan wrote: »
    There are many things Trump should be in prison for, for which there is plenty of evidence.

January 21, 2021?
  • Hope springs eternal...
    :wink:
    I still harbor the hope that when he steps off the podium following Biden's swearing in, he'll be slapped into handcuffs (and perhaps a hood) and led away.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »

January 21, 2021?

I'm not into numerology, but that date (01212021) has got to mean something in someone's numerology system.
  • Golden Key wrote: »

January 21, 2021?

I'm not into numerology, but that date (01212021) has got to mean something in someone's numerology system.

I did play around with that (as well as 21012021 for non-Americans, who put the numbers in the correct order!), but other than being a bit catchy, I couldn't come up with anything.
  • Who is this Bill Barr animal? Who compares wearing a mask with slavery? While his boss monster wants to glorify the same history. Sewage and disease.
  • Barr is a turd. There is nothing he would not do to ensure the GOP holds executive power.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited September 18
    Golden Key wrote: »

January 21, 2021?

I'm sure thatQ-Anon is on it.

Speaking whereof, weren't we promised some block busing news a few weeks ago, now past due?
    Barr is a turd. There is nothing he would not do to ensure the GOP holds executive power.

And unless my eyes deceive me, he looks like he's been gaining weight. Not that he ever was a Slim Jim. Hermann Göring was a fat pig too, wasn't he?
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 18
    Yes, he was...

So is Trump the Mad God-King. So is Kim Wrong-Trim. So is Johnson The Great.
    :grimace:

• Who is this Bill Barr animal? Who compares wearing a mask with slavery? While his boss monster wants to glorify the same history. Sewage and disease.
    Barr is a turd. There is nothing he would not do to ensure the GOP holds executive power.

This is Barr's second time as Attorney General. The first time he recommended that George Bush, Sr. pardon all Iran-Contra conspirators still awaiting trial on his way out the door. Poppy Bush did so as a lame duck president in December 1992, despite the fact that there was every indication that Bush himself was implicated in that conspiracy and the pardons were, arguably, obstruction of justice.

That Barr would turn the Department of Justice into Trump's personal law firm was easily foreseeable. ("I have a special practice. I handle one client.") It's consistent with my regular rant that letting past Republican presidential criminality slide is what encourages future, even more egregious, Republican presidential criminality. Barr's return stint as Attorney General is just the latest illustration of why this is so.
  • Why do Presidents have the power to overturn the deliberations of the legal system through pardons? Surely there's something written somewhere about separating three branches of government.
  • Why do Presidents have the power to overturn the deliberations of the legal system through pardons? Surely there's something written somewhere about separating three branches of government.

It's part of the system colloquially referred to as "checks and balances", where each branch of government has the ability to "check" the power of the others in certain well defined ways.

The executive can "check" the federal judiciary through pardon power and through its administrative control over prosecutions. It "balances" the judiciary with its ability to appoint judges ("by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate").
  • Thanks. I'd prefer it if, say, the legal system couldn't be defeated by the whim of just one person but required broader, more considered oversight - perhaps votes in House and Senate.

Have the Dems misused presidential pardons too? Will the power ever by removed?
  • Have the Dems misused presidential pardons too? Will the power ever by removed?

Depends on your definition of "misused". Here's a list of pardons granted by Bill Clinton that are considered "controversial".

As for removing the power, Article II, § 2, cl. 1 of the U.S. Constitution gives the president:
    . . . Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

In other words, removing or altering the pardon power would require a Constitutional amendment. Very difficult, but not impossible.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    More difficult and perhaps impossible is the task of empowering reason to overrule the factory-installed primate brain, which apparently favors (in our branch of the Monkey Tribe, anyway) autocratic rule.
  • For those who are interested in the thinking behind the pardon power as it was originally conceived, Alexander Hamilton gives a brief explanation in Federalist 74.
  • I've heard of Hamilton. I think his face features on one of the piece of American money. Online looking suggests the opinion of him is mixed at best. Found this, which might deserve updating to present group of rulers, if it has any credibility.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    I've heard of Hamilton. I think his face features on one of the piece of American money. Online looking suggests the opinion of him is mixed at best. Found this, which might deserve updating to present group of rulers, if it has any credibility.

Isn’t he also in a musical?
  • He would be dead right? or reincarnated?
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Well he did live a long time ago and was killed in a dual. So yes I guess he is dead
  • And yes, he is a wildly popular, daring musical.
  • You wouldn't think a musical about Ontario's steel town would be that big a hit in the U.S., but apparently it's a Broadway sensation.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    And yes, he is a wildly popular, daring musical.

Won't the trumpy musical be wonderful too?
  • Won't the trumpy musical be wonderful too?

I'm pretty sure Hadestown is already popular. (The song about Building the Wall seems like it's a bit too on-the-nose, but it apparently dates from the original conception in 2006.)
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Best not mention the musical Urintown
  • NP--
    Golden Key wrote: »
    And yes, he is a wildly popular, daring musical.

Won't the trumpy musical be wonderful too?

{Sizes up the venue.}

Ok, NP, if you'll stand right over here...
    {calculates air flow, curves of the floor and underlying terrain, and projects angles from theater seats...}
    Yes, when the audience projects their reaction to your idea and/or the actual T musical, their effusive praise should land...
    right...about...where you're standing.

Oh, and you might want a hooded rain jacket and an umbrella. (Kind of like going to a Gallagher comedy event.) They're in this super-large plastic bag, along wth wet wipes and a dry towel.

You should always know where your towel is.

{Wanders off happily, eating very dark chocolate ice cream from one of those pointy cones.|
  • Thx. : )
  • edited September 22
    This showed up in my Twitter feed. Catchy song. https://twitter.com/Alex_Verbeek/status/1308510081630326789?s=20

This could be in the musical, no?