Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• It reminds me of that radio show that was on for years. The host had a distinctive American name IIRC - Grayson Grayson's old time radio hour or something. Garrison Keilor? Very folksy stuff. I think the host was involved in a scandal some years ago.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    edited September 23
    It was a good show. Fortunately, he had retired from it before he fell in the #MeToo scandal. I loved the show (which went on with a new host, and, after the scandal revelation, quickly rebranded itself as "Live From Here"). But I don't talk about the person you mentioned any more.
  • The Economist went down to Ohio:
    “He’s done more for our country than the past ten presidents put together,” said an older builder, Jeff, skimming wet concrete on a new road. “He’s made—who is it, China or Japan?—pay our farmers billions of dollars. He got health care done, which the Democrats could never do. He built the wall.”

The guy is probably covered by Obamacare, but thinks that came from Trump.

And he probably thinks that the bailouts given to the farmers as compensation during the trade-wars were paid by China or Japan.

As for the Wall, well, it gets talked about in the media so much, often refered to as ".Trump's Wall", if you don't actually read the article, you could maybe think it's real. An especially fucked-up version of the Mandela Effect.

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    They believe what they want to believe - just like tRump does.
  • Well, the Wall is *partly* true. IIRC, about 300 miles have been built, though most of that is replacing the barriers that were already there.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    Well, the Wall is *partly* true. IIRC, about 300 miles have been built, though most of that is replacing the barriers that were already there.

Sounds like the ship of Theseus. Can you "build" a wall that already exists?
  • stetson wrote: »
    The Economist went down to Ohio:
    “He’s done more for our country than the past ten presidents put together,” said an older builder, Jeff, skimming wet concrete on a new road. “He’s made—who is it, China or Japan?—pay our farmers billions of dollars. He got health care done, which the Democrats could never do. He built the wall.”

And he probably thinks that the bailouts given to the farmers as compensation during the trade-wars were paid by China or Japan.

As for the Wall, well, it gets talked about in the media so much, often refered to as ".Trump's Wall", if you don't actually read the article, you could maybe think it's real.

Yes, I wasn't advancing it in defence of Trump, merely to point to how media perception seems to have shaped the way at least some people think.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited September 23
    I’m not sure if you can get this in the US, it’s really good. Fascinating, poignant and heart breaking in equal measure.

Sue Perkins travels the length of the US Mexico border talking to the people who live there, on both sides.

https://tinyurl.com/y5ls97zg

You see the ‘wall’ (it’s a fence). It stretches along a minuscule length of the border but has a profound effect on those who live there.

I have been to Mexico five times and crossed that border in two different places. Easy for us with our passports, impossible for the dear Mexican friends we were visiting (in Encenada).
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Well, the Wall is *partly* true. IIRC, about 300 miles have been built, though most of that is replacing the barriers that were already there.

Sounds like the ship of Theseus. Can you "build" a wall that already exists?

Well, you can add bits to it, I suppose, if parts of it already exist. If those earlier parts have, however, been replaced in their entirety, then the Theseus' Ship (and Trigger's Broom) principles apply:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=56yN2zHtofM

• CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I am enjoying Woodward's new book on Trump. Even right-wing idiots that I despise come off looking good beside Trump.
  • stetson wrote: »
    The Economist went down to Ohio:

As for the Wall, well, it gets talked about in the media so much, often refered to as ".Trump's Wall", if you don't actually read the article, you could maybe think it's real.

Yes, I wasn't advancing it in defence of Trump, merely to point to how media perception seems to have shaped the way at least some people think.

Oh, I know you weren't defending Trump. I was just kinda speculating on how the guy's views could make sense, within his obviously warped worldview.
  • Trump is stoking a race war.
  • Yup. Don't know if an actual race war is what he actually wants; but he thinks peddling one will get him what he *does* want: a continued presidency.
  • GK: "... will get him what he *does* want: a continued presidency."

It used to be said that trump didn't want the Presidency or expect to win and wasn't suited to it. That last part has been confirmed by any level-headed person with a vestige of moral decency. Are you saying he did want it in 2016 and now wants to continue or that having power and all the attentention it brings has changed his mind?

• No. Didn't want it then. Possibly wants it now, for the reasons you stated--and, AIUI, he is in grave and increasing legal trouble that can be delayed by staying in office.
  • Hillary is currently a guest on James Corden's "Late, Late Show". Discussing the debate. It's funny and interesting.
    :cool:
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    Trump will, I reckon as an observer from afar, do anything to avoid being a 'loser'. For our Prime Minister, it's all a game, but for your President, it touches his identity. He MUST win.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    edited October 1
    Yup. His father taught all the kids--rather firmly, I think--that only winners deserve to be loved.

I think I may read the tell-all book by Mary Trump, his niece. Among other things, she details how damaged he is and why.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    GK: "... will get him what he *does* want: a continued presidency."

It used to be said that trump didn't want the Presidency or expect to win and wasn't suited to it. That last part has been confirmed by any level-headed person with a vestige of moral decency. Are you saying he did want it in 2016 and now wants to continue or that having power and all the attentention it brings has changed his mind?

I think he hates the idea of losing. ‘Loser’ seems to be his biggest insult.

The job? No, I’m sure he hates it.

• DooneDoone Shipmate
  • Trump is a loser, a cast iron fool's gold plated loser. He was a loser when he was born, and he will be a loser until the day he died. It is a permanent feature of his life.
  • Trump has Covid
  • If Trump was a left-wing President, there’d already be a conspiracy theory going round that his positive test is a hoax.
  • Well, he's not, and there is.

A notarised test slip, please.
  • How does this work out for America in the future?

Will the majority of Americans be descended from Trump, in the same way that the majority of the English will be descended from Johnson?
    :scream:
    Doc Tor wrote: »
    Well, he's not, and there is.

Hmm... I think we need to see the long-form test certificate.
  • Doc Tor wrote: »
    Well, he's not, and there is.

Yikes!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited October 2
    I'd be very surprised if it were true; having been reckoned to have lost the debate, I think he's playing for the sympathy vote, just like Johnson.

• Hmm... I think we need to see the long-form test certificate.
    ROTFL. :)

(For those who may not know: T pushed and caused a good deal of trouble with a false claim that Pres. Obama hadn't been born in the US; he therefore was disqualified from the presidency; an his birth certificate was fake. Called "Birtherism".)

• It seems to be well-attested by his doctor, and Melania has it, too.

https://bbc.co.uk/news

Given that The Mad God-King is 74, obese, and in a high-risk group, one wonders whether his self-isolation will affect the election in some way...
    :open_mouth:

I daresay the Trumpians will instantly conclude that it is Fake News.

Given that The Mad God-King is 74, obese, and in a high-risk group, one wonders whether his self-isolation will affect the election in some way...

I assume that from many congressional/senate Democrats POV a President Pence would not be a bad thing. Be careful what you wish for.
  • Back in 2016, I was in Indianapolis (I'm not an international traveller by habit - it was for work, and the first time out of the country since 2000). Their governor was one Mike Pence, and ooh, they were really very worried he might end up a heartbeat away from the presidency - far more concerned about him than Trump. So I'm not certain that it's true that the Dems would want him any more than Trump. Probably less.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited October 2
    It seems to be well-attested by his doctor, and Melania has it, too.

I assume that from many congressional/senate Democrats POV a President Pence would not be a bad thing. Be careful what you wish for.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not wishing for his demise, just his complete and utter defeat in November. I didn't think the Dems would prefer Pence, though, as @Doc Tor hints...

But...might his illness (especially if he becomes quite unwell, and can't *work*) affect the date of the election? IOW, could the agony be prolonged even further?

I might have asked something like this before, and if it's already been answered, I apologise for repeating it.

• Piglet wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if it were true; having been reckoned to have lost the debate, I think he's playing for the sympathy vote, just like Johnson.
    Are you saying you think Johnson faked contracting COVID-19?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    It wouldn't surprise me.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Speaking of Mike Pence, given his contact with both Trump and Hicks he should quarantine himself until he gets back two negative test results. The question is whether he will actually do that.
  • Bishop's Finger, the U.S. Presidential Election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November every four years. That's it. It cannot be postponed because one of the candidates is sick.

(COVID could certainly used as a reason to miss another horrifying debate, however. I'd want to see a note from an independent physician.)
  • Thanks @Pigwidgeon - I thought that was the case.

The chance of missing another horrifying debate is certainly a bonus, though, no?

@Piglet and @goperryrevs - I don't think Johnson faked his Covid-19. Apart from anything else, the man looks as if he's still suffering from the after-effects...
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    edited October 2
    Piglet wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think ICU doctors would cooperate with that. Also his physical state noticeably changed and he has lost a lot of weight.
  • This.

O fie @Piglet for such an Unwurthy Thort!
    :wink:

Just because you live in a civilised country, with a proper government...
  • I hear Don Trump looked directly at a solar eclipse. He taunted about the virus. Bigger than life, man of the year. Of the century.

If we want a redemption story he needs to get very close to death with this illness. Needs to have an angelic visitation moment while delirious, perhaps a seizure-like experience like St Paul going to Damascus, and then go on to TV and Twitter to disavow basically his life to date. Crying like a repentant televangelist whose been caught having having sex with the wrong person, er, sorry, maybe that's too close to fact.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not wishing for his demise, just his complete and utter defeat in November. I didn't think the Dems would prefer Pence, though, as @Doc Tor hints...

Yeah sorry. I meant to write ‘Republicans’.
  • I thought perhaps you did...
    :wink:
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    I hear Don Trump looked directly at a solar eclipse. He taunted about the virus. Bigger than life, man of the year. Of the century.

If we want a redemption story he needs to get very close to death with this illness. Needs to have an angelic visitation moment while delirious, perhaps a seizure-like experience like St Paul going to Damascus, and then go on to TV and Twitter to disavow basically his life to date. Crying like a repentant televangelist whose been caught having having sex with the wrong person, er, sorry, maybe that's too close to fact.

It's fine to look at a total solar eclipse - during totality. Never at any other time.

• Well, yes - but The Mad God-King (being invincible etc. etc.) looked at it anyway, and was not struck blind...thus proving his divinity, or something.
    :scream:
  • AnselminaAnselmina Shipmate
    One of the hellish aspects of Trump testing positive is that his experience of the disease - assuming it doesn't permanently damage or kill him - will be one of a very coddled privileged individual who will get incredible support, sympathy and medical aid throughout. Whereas, as a result of his playing down the virus from early days and encouraging countless men and women to play fast and loose with their own health, doubtless there are people who have died, having listened to him and his assurances; who would otherwise be alive today. He has without conscience hurried others into their graves while still, however ignorantly, assuming he'll always be okay, thank you very much.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Many people get a reasonably mild version of the virus but it goes on and on. They are calling it Long Covid. It means that, for months on end, they are not able to do much at all, very fatigued, unable to play golf ...
  • O what a shame that would be...
    :naughty:
  • Unable to play golf?!? But he'll have so much time for golf after January 20! (Unless he's in a hospital, a morgue, or a prison.)
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    For those who feel like a little nostalgia, here's a video of Donald Trump mocking Hillary Clinton's pneumonia almost exactly four years ago.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    edited October 2
    Trump has been taken to Walter Reed Hospital - they are still saying he’s basically fine, they’re just being cautious - but this is strongly reminds me of what happened with Johnson, where we were essentially told he was fine until he was actually in the ICU.