Rossweisse RIP Rossweisse, HellHost and long-time Shipmate.

Robert Armin RIP Robert Armin, Shipmate of long-standing.

Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    The Bidens are crooked, Trump tells us. Well, he is the one who should know, I suppose. It takes one to know one.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited October 22
    LOCK 'EM UP!
    :unamused:

Still, the election will soon be over - and then the fun (or perhaps the mayhem) begins, especially if The Mad God-King declares, in the face of all the evidence to the contrary, that he's won with the bigliest majority ever...
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    And now there's this:
    Donald Trump’s Twitter account was hacked last week, after a Dutch researcher correctly guessed the president’s password: “maga2020!”.

Victor Gevers, a security expert, had access to Trump’s direct messages, could post tweets in his name and change his profile, De Volkskrant newspaper reported.

Gevers – who previously managed to log into Trump’s account in 2016 – gained access by guessing Trump’s password. He tried “maga2020!” on his fifth attempt and it worked. Maga stands for Trump’s oft used campaign slogan Make America Great Again.

“I expected to be blocked after four failed attempts. Or at least would be asked to provide additional information,” Gevers told De Volkskrant.

Gevers said the ease with which he accessed Trump’s account suggested the president was not using basic security measures like two-step verification.

I'm reminded of this scene from Spaceballs.

Remember all the way back in the Before Time (2016) when the most important issue facing the United States was server management best practices and that Hillary Clinton couldn't be president because of data security issues? Of course not, because the Before Time never happened. We live only in the Now.

Well, at least we can be sure after an experience like that Donald Trump has learned an important lesson.
    Remarkably, it wasn’t the first time Gevers has gained access to the president’s Twitter account. In 2016 he and two others guessed Trump’s password and got into his account.

Back then Trump’s password was “yourefired”, according to VN news.
  • :lol:

You couldn't make it up...

Watch out for Trump's next tweet - MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! VOTE FOR JOE BIDEN! SEND ME TO JAIL!
    :naughty:
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    Oh, wouldn't that have been wonderful!

The latest is that he walked out of the taping of an interview on the news magazine program 60 Minutes because he didn't like the questions he was being asked. Numerous links all over the Web -- I won't link here.

What an insufferable baby!
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    The latest is that he walked out of the taping of an interview on the news magazine program 60 Minutes because he didn't like the questions he was being asked. Numerous links all over the Web -- I won't link here.

What an insufferable baby!

The timing is bad for Trump, too. By putting that interview out there himself now instead of waiting for 60 Minutes to air it on Sunday he's just given the Biden campaign a bunch of new material to use and an insight into how he's thinking and where his weak points are. That timing matters because the final presidential debate is tonight.
  • Plus it's not like the interview was a secret thing. It will be broadcast in a few days.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Every time Trump speaks during this debate, my eyes roll even farther across the street.
    He claims that he's the least racist person in the room. Gag.
  • Yup, and repeated his claim that he's done the most for Black people, with the possible exception of Abraham Lincoln.
    :eyeroll:

One thing that worries me: he seems more and more solid, even somewhat presidential. If you remember what he was like 4 years ago, and since, he's come a long way from word salad, losing words, etc.--never mind all his other difficulties. I think he's been on some kind of med(s) for at least the last year or two. He still says crazy, horrible, untrue things--but IMHO he does it in a much less crazy manner. That makes him look more "normal". His coordination has even been better.

ISTM that all his aspects have been drawing closer and closer together, over the last couple of months. A lot of that is the election, I think. If he wins, that will guarantee that his well of deepest need will be filled up--at least for a while. (Plus he probably won't be going to jail right away.)

And, as someone pointed out on the radio a couple weeks ago, T was under the influence of positive thinking guru Dr. Norman Vincent Peale and Peale's church for 50 years! He learned to make his own reality. His father did, too, at least about Mrs. Trump's health. (Whether that was to help her or out of his own desperation, I don't know.) Do a search on "trump peale", and you'll find plenty about Peale's influence on T.

So if he's coming together, making his reality, feeling he's going to *finally* get what he wants and needs...

what will he do if it doesn't work?

Do to Biden, Pelosi, the media, the country? To himself?

:votive:
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate
    I watched the debate. Biden was good on substance. Trump was good on bluster
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    I can buy the Trump on meds theory. It would explain why he accuses Biden of the same thing on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I can buy the Trump on meds theory. It would explain why he accuses Biden of the same thing on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.

Indeed. He does a lot of projecting.

• Telford wrote: »
    I watched the debate. Biden was good on substance. Trump was good on bluster

No surprise there, then...

• Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host, Epiphanies Host
    "Golden wrote:

One thing that worries me: he seems more and more solid, even somewhat presidential. If you remember what he was like 4 years ago, and since, he's come a long way from word salad, losing words, etc.--never mind all his other difficulties. I think he's been on some kind of med(s) for at least the last year or two. He still says crazy, horrible, untrue things--but IMHO he does it in a much less crazy manner. That makes him look more "normal". His coordination has even been better.

ISTM that all his aspects have been drawing closer and closer together, over the last couple of months. A lot of that is the election, I think. If he wins, that will guarantee that his well of deepest need will be filled up--at least for a while. (Plus he probably won't be going to jail right away.)
    More presidential?

I liked Obama's observations that folks have become desensitised. Trump's constant and public personal attacks and threats are not Presidential. They are uniquely Trump.

Also Presidential does not equal divisive and partisan.
  • I was thinking more of the way he carries himself, compared with the last several years. And I did say "somewhat". I didn't say that he's even an adequate president. He's surely not.

But (in my observation and opinion, when watching closely--which I've been doing since early 2016, to try to figure him out), something in his physical manner has changed. Kind of like how he looked better and seemed more energetic after taking the Covid meds he got recently at Walter Reed hospital. I can well believe what he said about feeling the best he has in 20 years. Steroids and whatever else he took.

And he's more sharply focused.

YMMV.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    The bar was VERY low. His rambles, even in debate, are far from focussed.
  • Is he still on steroids?
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate

It would also explain why he seemed to run out of energy late in the debate.
  • Boogie--
    Boogie wrote: »
    The bar was VERY low. His rambles, even in debate, are far from focussed.

FWIW: I think his debate rambles were less rambling, and more geared to shifting the conversation to his talking points. IME, very common in US political debates--and TV interviews. And he has an aggressive style, which he actually controlled somewhat this time.

I was listening to NPR this morning (possibly "Here & Now"), and various young journalists/pundits (?) were discussing the debate. One woman said T was more presidential that night. So I'm not the only one who thinks that.

If I may ask: where you are, do politicians have public debates? How do they behave?

Thx.
  • Not enough meds. The wrong kind of meds.

Of course I mean meds for everyone, so as to cope with the carrot-polishing spectacle of narcissistic truculence.
    I’m British but I’ve taken a keen interest in US politics since 1960. So I’ve observed from afar the public behaviour of Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama and Trump.

Trump’s public behaviour is uniquely petty and malign compared with all the others. Many of them were petty and malign in private and all had faults. But Trump is uniquely vile both in private and in public. And has demonstrated a greater level of both arrogance and ignorance than any of his predecessors.

British politics is another matter. Prime Minister’s Question Time has degenerated into a half hour bear garden in recent years to nobody’s credit. But it is not typical of the behaviour of Prime Ministers.
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate
    Barnabas62 wrote: »
    I’m British but I’ve taken a keen interest in US politics since 1960. So I’ve observed from afar the public behaviour of Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama and Trump.

Trump’s public behaviour is uniquely petty and malign compared with all the others. Many of them were petty and malign in private and all had faults. But Trump is uniquely vile both in private and in public. And has demonstrated a greater level of both arrogance and ignorance than any of his predecessors.

British politics is another matter. Prime Minister’s Question Time has degenerated into a half hour bear garden in recent years to nobody’s credit. But it is not typical of the behaviour of Prime Ministers.

In 1992 James Carville wrote "It's the economy, stupid".

Perhaps it doesn't matter how vile a presidentioal candidate is, it's all about the economy.

• I hope not Telford. But the economy seemed to be doing great in the US in 2016, but Americans still chose Trump because too many believed the lie that Clinton was vile.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    I hope not Telford. But the economy seemed to be doing great in the US in 2016, but Americans still chose Trump because too many believed the lie that Clinton was vile.

A good economy generally favours an incumbent, but is there much evidence that it favours a different candidate from the incumbent's party?
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    edited October 24
    Barnabas62 wrote: »
    [...] British politics is another matter. Prime Minister’s Question Time has degenerated into a half hour bear garden in recent years to nobody’s credit. [...]
    Or a beer garden: undue hilariousness and great joviality abound even when it is about serious matters (which it mostly is).

• Yes, I was wondering about "bear garden". Czar Ivan the Terrible once used bears to hurry foreign diplomats on their way. You don't want to know what he did to them *before* that.
    Whoops! Wrong euphemism! Should have been bear pit.
  • Our economies do well so long as there's a flow from exploited economies to feed it. The wars in the middle east were and are good for business. This indicts all of these presidents, starting in the current arc, with Jimmy Carter. They've all been shit for the world, while some have been better viewed because they're more polite. Trumpy has been helpful because he exposes the base motives without pretense. He's more of everything that's been going for 50 years.

Politics is more like a board game than love. There's better and worse moves. Trumpskin was a bad move because he shows what's behind the curtain. But he's always been there. I liked Ike.
  • starting with Jimmy Carter? Could you unpack that a bit? I mean, why start with Jimmy Carter and not, say, Harry Truman? I would put the dividing line in American foreign policy at George the Taller and his support of Kuwait, the difference being all interventions (most? not sure) before then were motivated by cold war geopolitics, including US policy in the Middle East. So was there something new with Jimmy Carter?
  • oh bloody hell.
    oh bloody hell.

Well, quite. Satan looks after his own...

• Furtive GanderFurtive Gander Shipmate
    edited November 4
    I've just seen trump but managed to avoid hearing him whine that it's not fair and people are cheating by counting votes that make him look bad. Shame!

Let the name of Trump be used from this point on as a term to deride a bad loser.
    starting with Jimmy Carter? Could you unpack that a bit? I mean, why start with Jimmy Carter and not, say, Harry Truman? I would put the dividing line in American foreign policy at George the Taller and his support of Kuwait, the difference being all interventions (most? not sure) before then were motivated by cold war geopolitics, including US policy in the Middle East. So was there something new with Jimmy Carter?

Sorry, didn't look at this topic for a while. https://www.counterpunch.org/1998/01/15/how-jimmy-carter-and-i-started-the-mujahideen/

The Taliban and Al Qaeda are the descendants of what they started. And you're right of course, it could go further back. I'm reminded of the Netflix series "Fargo" (not the movie, on which the series is based). The Coen bros. did 2 seasons in the 2000s, and then went back to 1973, probably they could go back to the times and life of Peccavi and the mid-19th century and do Fargo and slaves maybe. "There's no beginning, there'll be no end, on my love you can depend."

The Coen brothers are geniuses. "“Smokey, this is not Vietnam, this is bowling. There are rules.” (which is from another movie, The Big Lebowski).
  • I've just seen trump but managed to avoid hearing him whine that it's not fair and people are cheating by counting votes that make him look bad. Shame!

Let the name of Trump be used from this point on as a term to deride a bad loser.

"You're getting pretty Trumpy about this, it's just a game."
    "No need to go all Trump on me."

Hmm... yeah, could work.
  • Or "you lost, don't be such a Trump!"
  • I'll keep this thread open a little while longer, eh?

Enjoy the moment. Tomorrow you can ask yourselves how it was even close.
  • A happy day here. Biden's 'Soul of America' campaign has finally kicked trump's Arsehole of America. There won't be a lot of sobriety around here this evening. Tomorrow will be very different, but today we celebrate.
  • It'll be interesting to hear what the Fundygelicals have to say.

I reckon they won't be accusing each other of a lack of faith in God's Son Number Two, but SOMEONE must be blamed...
  • Bishop's Finger, Obama will get blamed. Of course, Hillary Clinton will get blamed. Bernie Sanders? Or is he too far from the action nowadays? The fungus...er, fundamentalists will bring Satan into it. Pat Robertson will say that hurricanes and other natural disasters will increase because God is punishing the U.S.A. for homosexuality, women's rights, the Impossible Burger, astrology, too many M7slims allowed to run for public office, etc.
  • Muslims. Wow! That was a weird typo! Almost as if...SOMEBODY didn't want me to say it...!
    🤣
  • O - I thought you meant to include the Number...
    :open_mouth:

I expect you're right, though, with your comprehensive list. There'll be some Interesting *Sermons* preached tomorrow...
  • Doc Tor wrote: »
    I'll keep this thread open a little while longer, eh?

Well he still has until the end of January to wriggle his fingers in the pie some more.

But it was close. Almost 50% wanted him. There's enormous implications of deep divisions.

Meanwhile: Trump tantrum: https://twitter.com/thedannutt/status/1325123114196480000?s=20
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... Biden's 'Soul of America' campaign has finally kicked trump's Arsehole of America ...
    Quotes file! :smiley:

But it was close. Almost 50% wanted him. There's enormous implications of deep divisions.

Meanwhile: Trump tantrum: https://twitter.com/thedannutt/status/1325123114196480000?s=20

Indeed. The Mad God-King (deposed) can still do a lot of damage, and Mr Biden and Ms Harris have a lot of hard work ahead of them...

• Yeah, yeah. Look, you don't have to, but do give us 24 hours to celebrate before we have to sober up?
  • You've got it today. I even had a small glass of sherry.
  • O I think you Americans deserve a whole weekend of celebrations!
    :grin:

I raished a glash to Mr Biden, and will do sho again when I'm shober enuff...
  • edited November 7
    trumpy gets the full 2020 experience eh?

Got COVID, got fired, get evicted.

I still think him talking Scoobydoo is the funniest though the tantrum is a good one too (above).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVziOdvRn0
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    I am having a G&T.