Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• Trump as Jesus. Grabs pussy, steals dress. It isn't that hard. He's teaching us just now, but we don't listen.

"'The image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay', tiny hands, an even smaller penis and obscenities in his mouth" (not exactly Daniel 2:32).
  • Perhaps not, but not that far off the mark....
    :fearful:

Meanwhile, I'm told POTUS is inflicting his odious presence on this country later this week, even though we may by then not have a government for him to bluster at.

Is there any chance of you guys in America passing a law forbidding orange people to re-enter your country?

OTOH, pity the poor benighted airport that had to house a stateless POTUS until such time as he could find a non-shithole country to take him in...
    :cold_sweat:

IJ
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Simon Toad--
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    I totally didn't get the Battlestar Galactica stuff. Where is Lorne Greene, for example? I know the actor is dead, but what of the character? And was that supposed to be the Last Supper in that photo? Whaaaa?

It must be intended as the Last Supper. The positions fit with da Vinci's version.

Not quite. The poses and setting are evocative of da Vinci's Last Supper, but there are significant differences. The biggest and most obvious is that the Battlestar Galactica version has only twelve people in it, as opposed to da Vinci's thirteen.
  • Just the thought of POTUS posing, or being posed, as Jesus is so completely offensive, nay, surreal, that it's almost funny.

<projectile vomiting emoji>

IJ
  • Yeah absolutely BF. He doesn't want to be a god though, just Putin.

Is there a point to do with the storyline of Battlestar Galactica standing behind the photo, or is it just a fun thing they decided to do between shooting? My recollection of the original series is that it was more an Exodus situation.
  • Is there any chance of you guys in America passing a law forbidding orange people to re-enter your country?

Build the wall! Build the wall!
  • Just the thought of POTUS posing, or being posed, as Jesus is so completely offensive, nay, surreal, that it's almost funny.

<projectile vomiting emoji>

IJ

Forgive me ((or not, this is Hell after all))

My thoughts about Jesus in this context were guided by the offensiveness of the Trump-tramp, the would be Adenoid Hynkel: How to match his offensiveness? And how does America get its adenoids taken out? The UK's tonsils? The Latvian and Hungarian neo-fascists? Who's driving Ontario's Ford? Where's Buckaroo Banzai when we need him to defeat Dr. Lizardo?
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited July 2018
    Is there a point to do with the storyline of Battlestar Galactica standing behind the photo, or is it just a fun thing they decided to do between shooting?

It was a promotional photo that was released prior to season 4 (the final season) of the show. It supposedly contained symbolic hints of what was to come in the final season. It spurred fans to endless theorization and photo analysis and probably kept interest up during the year long gap between seasons 3 and 4. (There was a Writer's Guild strike.) Some analysis is found here, though it will be full of spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched the series all the way through and those spoilers will be largely incomprehensible to anyone who has never watched the series at all.
    My recollection of the original series is that it was more an Exodus situation.

Exodus larded heavily with Cold War militarism and Mormon theology. The reboot is Exodus and Revelation (as is appropriate for a post-apocalyptic story) filtered through the War on Terror and the Iraq War.
  • bloody hell it's 10 years old!!!!!!

I am very very very prejudiced against paying for TV, especially when you have to watch ads as well as cough up. I never got cable when it came to Australia, I'm guessing some time in the 1990's. Only in the last few years has my wife decided to subscribe to Netflix and Stan. I had no input into that decision and would have been quite happy with catch-up TV and youtube. However, I think I'm the one who watches more Netflix.

/end tangent, and thanks for indulging me Croesos.
  • And some of us are fine with over-the-air broadcasts, and the occasional YouTube. :)
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I gave up cable in favor of an antenna. I do miss certain cable programs but it's not the end of the world.
  • Perhaps not, but not that far off the mark....
    :fearful:

Meanwhile, I'm told POTUS is inflicting his odious presence on this country later this week, even though we may by then not have a government for him to bluster at.

Is there any chance of you guys in America passing a law forbidding orange people to re-enter your country?

OTOH, pity the poor benighted airport that had to house a stateless POTUS until such time as he could find a non-shithole country to take him in...
    :cold_sweat:

IJ

You (country of the poor benighted airport) would have both our sympathy and our immense gratitude. I'm sure there would be loads of foreign aid (a bargain compared to what the Trump presidency has cost us so far) and gift baskets of every sort from your former colony. Heck, we might even be willing to forget that whole George the III kerfuffle.

Alternatively, perhaps you could work with the UN to charge him with war crimes (kidnapping children and forcing them into concentration camps, destorying the records would seem to qualify).
  • Fair enough, as you won't have time to Build The Beautiful Wall to keep him out.

Would you be prepared to subsidise the said airport's fast-food outlet, to keep him fed whilst our shed-full of headless chickens government decides what to do with him?

IJ
  • I see that our benighted country (as if being kicked out of the World Cup were not enough agony) is due to receive the POTUS touch this afternoon.

I am pleased to report that my 'Trump Baby' T-shirt (in deepest black) arrived this morning.

I shall flaunt wear it with pride.

IJ
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if it showed him to be completely human.

I understand that human DNA is 98% identical to that of chimpanzees. Or is that orang utans?
  • :lol:

BBC News contrasts today's POTUS visit with that of Jimmy Carter, O so many long years ago....

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44739152

IJ

• Well, The Big Baby has landed - but, alas, Earth did not gape for him...(The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison).

IJ
  • AFAICT, Earth has still not gaped.

One can only hope that a sinkhole (of Bigliest Proportions, naturally) appears on the golf course at Turnberry, but that all other persons present are saved therefrom.

IJ
  • What shall we do to celebrate when Trump is burning in hell? Should we ring bells like they did with Thatcher? Just go out and party to celebrate his departure from the planet?

Hopefully he will die very shortly after he loses power, so his horrors are still fresh in everybody's mind. Thatcher hung on for years and years and years, drooling and senile, so that when she finally left the planet the anger at her iniquities had faded somewhat.

I prefer the option of Trump having a massive stroke shortly after he loses power. His failure to die would deny his supporters an opportunity to mourn him. Let him hang on after his stroke, conscious, lucid, but trapped in his useless flesh prison, utterly reliant upon others for his daily bodily needs, and abused by his paid carers. I hope he gets to see the building of his presidential library tied up in litigation and union disputes and plagued by managerial incompetence and corruption; the dissipation of his fortune by his feckless children; the collapse of his golf clubs and other businesses and the trashing of his Presidency as the worst of the worst. Let his mind stay sharp in a useless body. Let him be fed through a tube. Let him be in constant pain, never comfortable and never able to adjust his position for relief. Let his carers slap him around and abuse him, spitting on him and smearing his face with foul-smelling stuff. Let them leave him unshowered and sitting in his own excrement for days on end, so that his skin integrity breaks down and he develops pressure sores that go black with necrotic flesh. Let him not die, but live like that, knowing he has family and grandchildren, torturing himself with the thought of them and their utter absence. Let that be his life for twenty long years.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 2018
    Wow.

Visited a 'care home' in the UK recently, have you? Coz you've just described one (not all by any means, I hasten to add....).
    :grimace:

IJ
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    What shall we do to celebrate when Trump is burning in hell? Should we ring bells like they did with Thatcher? Just go out and party to celebrate his departure from the planet?

Hopefully he will die very shortly after he loses power, so his horrors are still fresh in everybody's mind. Thatcher hung on for years and years and years, drooling and senile, so that when she finally left the planet the anger at her iniquities had faded somewhat.

I prefer the option of Trump having a massive stroke shortly after he loses power. His failure to die would deny his supporters an opportunity to mourn him. Let him hang on after his stroke, conscious, lucid, but trapped in his useless flesh prison, utterly reliant upon others for his daily bodily needs, and abused by his paid carers. I hope he gets to see the building of his presidential library tied up in litigation and union disputes and plagued by managerial incompetence and corruption; the dissipation of his fortune by his feckless children; the collapse of his golf clubs and other businesses and the trashing of his Presidency as the worst of the worst. Let his mind stay sharp in a useless body. Let him be fed through a tube. Let him be in constant pain, never comfortable and never able to adjust his position for relief. Let his carers slap him around and abuse him, spitting on him and smearing his face with foul-smelling stuff. Let them leave him unshowered and sitting in his own excrement for days on end, so that his skin integrity breaks down and he develops pressure sores that go black with necrotic flesh. Let him not die, but live like that, knowing he has family and grandchildren, torturing himself with the thought of them and their utter absence. Let that be his life for twenty long years.

You really know how to hurt a guy.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 2018
    Meanwhile, the Great Orange Tosser continues to abuse and upset just about everyone (except, perhaps, Bojo the Clown, the Great Blonde Tosser).

I even begin to feel sorry for Our Glorious Prime Minister, let alone the unfortunate Betty, Our Glorious Queen.
    :flushed:

O Earth, PLEASE GAPE, and take the Great Orange Tosser from us!

IJ
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Crikey, BF, things must be bad if you're feeling sorry for Mrs. May - after all, it was presumably she who invited the G.O.T. over in the first place.

I do feel sorry for the Queen though - I know she's had to shake paws with some fairly unsavoury characters in her time (Idi Amin and Martin McGuinness spring to mind) - but I expect she'll carry it off with her usual unruffled aplomb.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    What shall we do to celebrate when Trump is burning in hell? Should we ring bells like they did with Thatcher? Just go out and party to celebrate his departure from the planet?

You really know how to hurt a guy.

I'm wishing him into the secular version of hell.
  • edited July 2018
    He wets his pants, slips on the dripping pee, suffers a serious concussion. When he comes to, he believes he's a 6 year old Honduran refugee who can not find his mother. He poops his pants and sits in it crying. The crowd goes wild. National and international holidays and days of rejoicing are set. And he is shuffled off to a ICE cage somewhere. Where underfed, he wastes away until he has a Damascus moment, remembers who he is, which causes him to give away everything he owns, whereupon he dies. And goes to hell anyway. Just because.
  • This summary of twitter comments is worth a view. Some pretty good Scottish insulting going on.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    What would happen if the old orange oaf died today?

Would things improve in the USA or would we get more of the same in less infantile wrapping?
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Or someone who can, frighteningly, get their warped and "death to the poor and immigrants" agenda through because they have a measure of competence. But surely anybody has to be better than Trump.

We thought when the Liberal party dumped the raw-onion eating moron we getting a centre-right sensible PM, but he's proven more effective at getting his horrid legislation through; and turns out to be beholden to the loony right.

Not comparing Tony and Malcolm to Trump; there is no comparison. But I always worry there is another nutjob waiting in the wings. But Trump is a vile human being (I'm ashamed to be of the same species; what makes someone go like that? -- I always remind myself I could be a German WWII soldier at Auschwitz as we share the same make-up, but could I ever be Trump??? :scream: ); the vilest of the vile.
  • Trump's not a madman, he's a made man.

Pence is looking really good right now, but only from a selfish foreign policy perspective. I can't imagine him going crazy aggressive like Trump on the EU, then rolling over to get his tummy tickled by Putin. I appreciate that Pence's domestic agenda is the stuff of Margaret Atwood's nightmares.
  • Back in the early 70s there was a lot of concern that if we got rid of Nixon we'd get Agnew -- so we got rid of Agnew first. I have a feeling that there are lots of people digging into ways to get rid of Pence.
  • Just supposing that Pence was somehow removed (peacefully) from the equation, who would be likely to succeed VicePOTUS (if that's the right term)?

Or, to put it another way, would s/he be a worthy successor to POTUS himself, should he be (equally peacefully) removed?

IJ

• It would then be the case of President Ryan - the speaker is third in line.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Pence is looking really good right now, but only from a selfish foreign policy perspective. I can't imagine him going crazy aggressive like Trump on the EU, then rolling over to get his tummy tickled by Putin.

Remember that Mike Pence was supposedly selected as Trump's running mate at the urging of Paul Manafort (a.k.a. inmate number 45343). I would not automatically assume that someone with the Manafort seal of approval is not in some way beholden to the Russians.

I rather assume that this would not be a Good Thing, given that Speaker Ryan is probably a Blumpist*?

(Wasn't there a fillum where a mad POTUS was literally brought down by someone deliberately crashing their plane into Air Force One?).

*As in Trump the Blimp, flown over London last w/e. Nice one, Mr. Khan!

IJ

But only if it's while he's still Speaker. He has said he isn't running for re-election to Congress this November.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    When Agnew resigned as vice president, Nixon appointed his successor, Gerald Ford. If Pence went the way of all flesh, wouldn't the present occupant of the White House appoint his successor? I could imagine someone much worse than Paul Ryan, who would be bad enough, being appointed.
  • When Agnew resigned as vice president, Nixon appointed his successor, Gerald Ford. If Pence went the way of all flesh, wouldn't the present occupant of the White House appoint his successor? I could imagine someone much worse than Paul Ryan, who would be bad enough, being appointed.

The successor also has to be approved by a majority vote in both the House and Senate.
  • Does the successor have to be a billion or millionaire? I think so. They also need to aspire to enlarge their fortunes.
  • Anyone ever see the film "The Contender"? It's about a woman under consideration to be a replacement VP, and everything she's put through in the process.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited July 2018
    I've been given to understand that Pence is at least as bad as Trump (if such a thing can be imagined), but with brains, so impeachment/death might not be the answer it at first appears. It seems to me that your only answer is to get rid of him at the ballot-box. I sincerely hope the Democrats can get their act together and find someone of the right calibre to bring that about.

No harm to Mrs. Clinton, but she just wasn't the Right Person At The Right Time.
  • Looking at the 'quality' of Polly Titians on both sides of the pond, one is tempted to wonder what form of collective madness allows the Bar Stewards to be elected to any form of office in the first place.

I make an exception in the case of Mr. Obama, cuz he is a Jolly Good Egg All Round. Yes, I know he didn't quite come up to scratch, perhaps, but a third term would have been a gift to the USA, and to the world, had it been possible.

YMMV, I agree.

The same can't be said of Blump, so maybe the two-terms-only thing is a blessing.

IJ
  • AnselminaAnselmina Shipmate
    Not that I agree with all of Dicken's observations on his first travels to the USA, the excerpt below is at least interesting, if not prescient. Mind you, it applies to the UK, too.

Full quote http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/americannotes/19/

"One great blemish in the popular mind of America ..... is Universal Distrust.

‘You carry,’ says the stranger, ‘this jealousy and distrust into every transaction of public life. By repelling worthy men from your legislative assemblies, it has bred up a class of candidates for the suffrage, who, in their very act, disgrace your Institutions and your people’s choice. It has rendered you so fickle, and so given to change, that your inconstancy has passed into a proverb....... Any man who attains a high place among you, from the President downwards, may date his downfall from that moment; for any printed lie that any notorious villain pens, although it militate directly against the character and conduct of a life, appeals at once to your distrust, and is believed. You will strain at a gnat in the way of trustfulness and confidence, however fairly won and well deserved; but you will swallow a whole caravan of camels, if they be laden with unworthy doubts and mean suspicions. Is this well, think you, or likely to elevate the character of the governors or the governed, among you?'"
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Back in the early 70s there was a lot of concern that if we got rid of Nixon we'd get Agnew -- so we got rid of Agnew first. I have a feeling that there are lots of people digging into ways to get rid of Pence.

I believe J Danforth Quayle got on the Bush snr ticket as insurance, in that no one on either side of Congress, or outside of it for that matter, wanted him in the hot seat.
  • sionisais wrote: »
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Back in the early 70s there was a lot of concern that if we got rid of Nixon we'd get Agnew -- so we got rid of Agnew first. I have a feeling that there are lots of people digging into ways to get rid of Pence.

I believe J Danforth Quayle got on the Bush snr ticket as insurance, in that no one on either side of Congress, or outside of it for that matter, wanted him in the hot seat.

Yes, there was much speculation about that -- as well as John McCain's choice of Sarah Palin in 2008. Rather than job insurance, she likely cost him the election -- thank you, Mrs. Palin!
  • Anselmina wrote: »
    Not that I agree with all of Dicken's observations on his first travels to the USA, the excerpt below is at least interesting, if not prescient. Mind you, it applies to the UK, too.

Full quote http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/americannotes/19/

"One great blemish in the popular mind of America ..... is Universal Distrust.

‘You carry,’ says the stranger, ‘this jealousy and distrust into every transaction of public life. By repelling worthy men from your legislative assemblies, it has bred up a class of candidates for the suffrage, who, in their very act, disgrace your Institutions and your people’s choice. It has rendered you so fickle, and so given to change, that your inconstancy has passed into a proverb....... Any man who attains a high place among you, from the President downwards, may date his downfall from that moment; for any printed lie that any notorious villain pens, although it militate directly against the character and conduct of a life, appeals at once to your distrust, and is believed. You will strain at a gnat in the way of trustfulness and confidence, however fairly won and well deserved; but you will swallow a whole caravan of camels, if they be laden with unworthy doubts and mean suspicions. Is this well, think you, or likely to elevate the character of the governors or the governed, among you?'"

A salutary reminder, perhaps, that there is Nothing New Under The Sun.

Dickens, for all his rather prolix way of writing (YMMV - but I have read all his novels, and most of his 'shorter' works), doesn't pull his punches when it comes to criticising governments. His views - from the mid-19thC - are just as relevant, and as pithy, for today, as they were when he was alive.

(BTW, if I'd been his contemporary, I'd have been a near neighbour!)

IJ

• Kavenaugh confirmed. Shit, Fuck, Fuck, Fuckity Fuck Fuck.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited October 2018
    The only appropriate reaction, I think. How I love you and your ideals America; and then you, or the powers that be more properly, take a big dump over them all.

Unhellish, but my heart goes out to you all.
  • The appropriate reaction is for everyone to take a deep breath, gather their strength, and get the vote out on November 6. Remember folks, I hit the tarmac in LA on 10 November, and I have ordered happy and laughing progressives talking giddily about impeachment please. (then deciding to give the bastard a REAL HARD BEATING WITH A FUCKING TREE TRUNK in 2020).
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Okay, okay, but you're gonna owe us.