Trumpton - the rant thread

1234568

Comments

  • Those kids are getting their cut NP. In terms of corrupt behavior, those involved in the campaign and the administration are in it up to their necks.
  • Dear orange-headed, disgusting idiot --

    We the intelligent voters of the United States have a message for you:

    You cannot keep on with your stupid, illegal, unethical actions forever. Actions have consequences. We will be voting en masse in 2020 to get you thrown out of the White House on your fat ass! You are the worst excuse for a President, and you didn't even win the popular vote, dammit!
  • hear hear!
  • But are there more intelligent voters than non-intelligent ones?
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Fingers crossed...
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Trump's presidential causality is unlikely to affect the right, due to the nature of our cold civil war. Which is a pity.
  • presidential causality? wot u mean?
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Lying.
    Blatant incompetence.
    Horrific racism and sexism.
    Fascism.
    Criminality.

    All things that would punt a non-demagogue with little delay, yet Trump seems like he might be able to weather them all simultaneously.
  • Interesting Golden Key, just last week in my journal I pasted a picture of Trump next to this poem and crossed out "My name is Ozymandias," and wrote above it "My name is Donald Trump." May it be from our lips to God's ear.
  • I was surprised at your use of causality Rook. I hadn't heard it used as a synonym for 'product' or 'output' before. That use is in the Websters but not the Cambridge online dictionaries, as far as I can make out. I wonder if its an Americanism, or just a use I haven't come across before...
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I . . . crossed out "My name is Ozymandias," and wrote above it "My name is Donald Trump."

    I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“A tattered, headless, gold toupee
    Rests in the desert. . . . Near it, on the sand,
    Half sunk an orange mask does lie, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its maker well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the back thereof, these words appear:
    'This mask belongs to Donald Trump. If found
    Return to Kim Jong Un, Pyongyang, who dealt
    The Dealmaker a deal he'll ne'er forget.'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Causality: The relationship between cause and effect.
    You are a moron, which has the effect of you overlooking the obvious.
  • Actually, the particular way it was used seemed unusual to me, too.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    No w
    I . . . crossed out "My name is Ozymandias," and wrote above it "My name is Donald Trump."

    I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“A tattered, headless, gold toupee
    Rests in the desert. . . . Near it, on the sand,
    Half sunk an orange mask does lie, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its maker well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the back thereof, these words appear:
    'This mask belongs to Donald Trump. If found
    Return to Kim Jong Un, Pyongyang, who dealt
    The Dealmaker a deal he'll ne'er forget.'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

    Nice one Amanda
  • I bow to you Miss Amanda.
  • RooK wrote: »
    Causality: The relationship between cause and effect.
    You are a moron, which has the effect of you overlooking the obvious.

    I'm interested to know if you were insulted by me questioning the meaning of your phrase, or if you just felt like tossing one off.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Your interest in your projections is not shared.
    I merely used a handy and obvious example to improve clarity.
  • Thanks for that. I didn't intend to insult you.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Fascinating. A couple of comments, if you'll permit me.
    1. Reality doesn't care much about intentions. Believe it.
    2. It's Hell. Nobody would mind one whit if you did intend to insult, least of all me.
    3. If you had actually managed a well-landed insult, I would have praised you for it.

    Feel free to ignore me, and continue bumbling blindly about Hell. Nobody cares. Except perhaps @Doc Tor, but only because he hates everyone and everything.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    Given the current state of the world in general, and these boards in particular, my stance seems not just pragmatic, but indeed wise.
  • Did you know that everyone on the Ship has more of chance than trumpy in getting a nuclear disarmament deal with North Korea?

    The other thing I realized today, is that although trumpy's ex-lawyer Michael Cohen is a bad man lying liar, he is a bad man lying liar who kept copies and receipts about a badder bad man lying liar.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    Fascinating. A couple of comments, if you'll permit me.
    1. Reality doesn't care much about intentions. Believe it.
    2. It's Hell. Nobody would mind one whit if you did intend to insult, least of all me.
    3. If you had actually managed a well-landed insult, I would have praised you for it.

    Feel free to ignore me, and continue bumbling blindly about Hell. Nobody cares. Except perhaps @Doc Tor, but only because he hates everyone and everything.

    Actually mate, people do care about what happens on these pages, and I reckon you do too. I think your flippancy masks the reality of the situation, which is that you have a longstanding and deep affection for and commitment to the Ship. I can't and won't ignore you because you are so ubiquitous and so well-regarded.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Did you know that everyone on the Ship has more of chance than trumpy in getting a nuclear disarmament deal with North Korea?

    The other thing I realized today, is that although trumpy's ex-lawyer Michael Cohen is a bad man lying liar, he is a bad man lying liar who kept copies and receipts about a badder bad man lying liar.

    Spot on NP. The other thing I like about the situation is that many of those documents are in the hands of the Feds. I'm hoping that Cohen didn't get time to choose which documents came into their possession, but as a crook, he probably has always anticipated a raid.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    Actually mate, people do care about what happens on these pages, and I reckon you do too.

    Maybe if you read some Marshall McLuhan you can better grok what exactly I meant in this context. Nothing is being masked, it's just that you're not recognizing how it gets conveyed in this medium.
  • Q: What'd the devil give you for your soul, trumpy?
    trumpy: Well, he taught me to lie and he made me president. The greatest one ever.
    Q: Oh, trumpy! For that, you traded your everlasting soul?
    trumpy: [shrugs] Well, I wasn't using it.

    (the Coen brothers where art thou, are geniuses)
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    Actually mate, people do care about what happens on these pages, and I reckon you do too.

    Maybe if you read some Marshall McLuhan you can better grok what exactly I meant in this context. Nothing is being masked, it's just that you're not recognizing how it gets conveyed in this medium.

    Really? If you are operating on that level I'm not sure I will understand you.

    I used to think I liked philosophy, and took some subjects at Uni as part of an arts degree, and I did some theology when I was studying divinity. I used to be able to read it and write an essay on it before it left my skull, but it never really sunk in. Its the same with language study for me, it goes in, I pass the course, it goes out.

    About two years ago though I gave up philosophy entirely, and came to the conclusion that I just didn't have the brain for it. I love history and politics, so I think my brain is just not good at retaining abstract concepts.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Simon Toad--

    You might like "The Tao Of Pooh", by Benjamin Hoff. It's a philosophical conversation with a certain Bear of Very Little Brain.
    ;)

    It's a much-beloved book, and wildly popular for a very long time.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Oh I must look that up. There's a book called Sophie's World by Josteen Gardiner that I very much enjoyed, and is about the history of philosophy, but that was in the early 1990's I think.

    I really did give philosophy a good shake :)
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    IMHO, Tao of Pooh is a much better read than Sophie's World. Much more fun. :)

    And it focuses much more on living.
  • This thread is about the "Tao of Trumpy World".
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    Maybe if you read some Marshall McLuhan you can better grok what exactly I meant in this context. Nothing is being masked, it's just that you're not recognizing how it gets conveyed in this medium.

    Ah, yes. "The medium is the message". IIRC, McLuhan pronounced "message" to rhyme with "massage"--French (-Canadian?) pronunciation--which sparked many jokes.

  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 2
    This is shocking to me.
    “A man walked by wearing a sleeveless denim jacket with a rendering of a grim reaper on the back. The staff of the reaper’s scythe was an AK-47, the blade an American flag. He stopped briefly to inspect the merchandise. I asked Gaudet and Thompson how, as self-employed entrepreneurs, they got their healthcare.

    “Right now I don’t even have healthcare,” Thompson said.

    “I go to the emergency room,” Gaudet said, laughing.

    “I just go to the emergency room,” Thompson agreed.

    I asked if they would support higher taxes for millionaires if it meant that people like them would get free healthcare. Gaudet didn’t hesitate. “No, because one day we might be the millionaires.”

    These people are happy to have no health care for a vague dream of becoming one of the 0.1%

    This description of a tRump rally makes me realise he’s a cult leader. How are cult leaders toppled? Maybe sensible people in the US need to research and work on that?
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    If this was a Call of Cthulu campaign, the tried and tested means of toppling cult leaders is purification by cleaning fire. So. Much. Fire.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    Maybe if you read some Marshall McLuhan you can better grok what exactly I meant in this context. Nothing is being masked, it's just that you're not recognizing how it gets conveyed in this medium.

    I happen to have Marshall McLuhan right here . . .

    Not sure it's really relevant, but how often do you get a set up like this?
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I reckon his support is a veneer. His rallys seem to me to resemble the High School Pep (or Prep, I never worked that out) Rally, but with a sinister edge. People are committed, and they really strongly and definitely believe what they are chanting, but really its the chant itself which is the point...

    OMG The medium is the message?

    Sorry. Too freaked out. Can't go on.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    This is shocking to me.
    “A man walked by wearing a sleeveless denim jacket with a rendering of a grim reaper on the back. The staff of the reaper’s scythe was an AK-47, the blade an American flag. He stopped briefly to inspect the merchandise. I asked Gaudet and Thompson how, as self-employed entrepreneurs, they got their healthcare.

    “Right now I don’t even have healthcare,” Thompson said.

    “I go to the emergency room,” Gaudet said, laughing.

    “I just go to the emergency room,” Thompson agreed.

    I asked if they would support higher taxes for millionaires if it meant that people like them would get free healthcare. Gaudet didn’t hesitate. “No, because one day we might be the millionaires.”

    These people are happy to have no health care for a vague dream of becoming one of the 0.1%

    This description of a tRump rally makes me realise he’s a cult leader. How are cult leaders toppled? Maybe sensible people in the US need to research and work on that?

    I'm surprised that you're shocked. IME, this is a painfully common fantasy among average Americans. It's probably what propels the sale of lottery tickets among the less-well-off. At one level, it's a kind of back-door recognition that "work-hard-and-you'll-reach-Easy Street" is mythical rubbish, and that most of the super-wealthy get that way through sheer luck.

  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Er, to be clear, I'm referring to the luck of having been born into a wealthy family.
  • chrisstileschrisstiles Shipmate
    Ohher wrote: »
    At one level, it's a kind of back-door recognition that "work-hard-and-you'll-reach-Easy Street" is mythical rubbish, and that most of the super-wealthy get that way through sheer luck.

    and/or make their pile on one of those industries that are subject to government subsidies.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Crœsos wrote: »
    RooK wrote: »
    Maybe if you read some Marshall McLuhan you can better grok what exactly I meant in this context. Nothing is being masked, it's just that you're not recognizing how it gets conveyed in this medium.

    I happen to have Marshall McLuhan right here . . .

    Not sure it's really relevant, but how often do you get a set up like this?

    That's a thing of beauty.
    Both intrinsically and its manifestation in the thread.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Dear God, the man turns my stomach. Here is a photo of him groping the US flag.

    It is a damn appropriate image for what the fucker has done to our country, but it still makes me want to hurl.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    He looks like he owns the place...
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    He grabs the country by the pussy. Not that he ever did ask, mind.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    This tweet which links to a video may raise a smile in times of need.

    The account is that of Huw Parkinson who does some wonderful videos for a political programme on our national broadcaster. His latest was putting the head of a departing government minister on one of Darth Vader's men.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    tRump will hate this!

    Nancy Pelosi said -

    “Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country,” she said. “He’s just not worth it.”

    He’ll stew about this - nothing narcissists hate more than being indifferently sidelined.

    Applause for Nancy all round.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    yep. She's got his number I reckon.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Oh, it's possibly more strategic than that.

    If you impeach Trump, you get President Pence with a pocket full of pardons and an unabashedly regressive stance on many human rights issues. However, if you wait for Trump to lose an election, jail could be waiting for him.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited March 12
    RooK wrote: »
    Oh, it's possibly more strategic than that.

    If you impeach Trump, you get President Pence with a pocket full of pardons and an unabashedly regressive stance on many human rights issues. However, if you wait for Trump to lose an election, jail could be waiting for him.

    Presidents have pardoned people on the way out the door before and Trump maintains he has the power to pardon himself.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    I think the chain of causality would indeed have to be first a non-Republican president then indictment, prosecution, and conviction of Trump.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    I think the chain of causality would indeed have to be first a non-Republican president then indictment, prosecution, and conviction of Trump.

    Presidents can also issue preemptive pardons to people who haven't been convicted of anything yet. Trump pardoning himself as a lame duck president* would be exactly the kind of cheap maneuver we've come to expect of him.
Sign In or Register to comment.