Worship Live-Stream Recommendations

Sunday services are canceled where I live, so I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for worship services from anywhere to watch live (or recorded, if the time difference is too much) on Sundays. The church I have been attending is not able to offer a live stream to watch.

I'm looking for Roman Catholic services, but this would be a good place for people to share their recommendations for all kinds of services from all denominations. I enjoy watching and attending worship from all denominations myself.

I watched both services from two deserted cathedrals this weekend - the Roman Catholic service from St. Patrick's in NYC and the Episcopal service from the National Cathedral in Washington, DC. I'm curious what other suggestions people might have based on what they have watched online either in recent weeks or before the current crisis. Good liturgical practices (for whatever your sensibilities may be), preaching, music (although that is understandably limited now that full choirs are not the norm in affected areas), and video production quality would all be things I would look for in a recommendation, and people can discuss what they are looking for themselves in deciding what to watch/worship with.

Comments

• cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    edited March 19
    For those on North American time: Orthodox monastic services throughout the day
    [url=https://www.holycross.org/blogs/news/monastery-livestreaming-all-services-throughout-coronavirus-epidemic[url][/url]
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    @stonespring on another thread Galilit posted a link to the Vatican news site -- Pope Francis' private Mass from Casa Santa Marta at 8am Rome-time each morning is livestreamed with English voice-overs.
    And I found this site for Catholic Masses live online around the world (mostly the UK and US) but it is a bit out of date and inaccurate.
    Just saw an FB notification that Evening Prayer from Taizé is to be streamed live at 8.30pm European time..
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Bristol Cathedral (CofE) is streaming their said Morning Prayer (CW), their daily midday Eucharist and said Evening Prayer (1662 BCP) on their Facebook page at 9.30 am, 12.30 pm and 3.30 pm, each videoed but of course closed to the public. This is a new thing, but the services seem to remain accessible for the rest of the day.

The cathedral is also, for now, open for prayer, provided people comply with directives about keeping their distance from each other.

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 19
    The Taize service (thanks @MaryLouise!) will be at 730pm GMT, yes?. CET is an hour ahead IIRC.

I'll give that a try, I think. I don't do Facebook....

The Pope's daily Mass is OK, but the voice-over is a bit irritating, albeit useful for non-Italian speakers!
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    edited March 19
    St Matthew's Carver Street is streaming some services including daily Mass. At present, I am finding them when they turn up on my timeline from Sunday I suspect we may know in advance which. I think it may depend on whether the vicar is present.

eta fyi services are at present only open to staff. I have still to find out the definition of staff.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    The Taize service (thanks @MaryLouise!) will be at 730pm GMT, yes?. CET is an hour ahead IIRC.

It can also be watched on the page MaryLouise linked to.

edited March 19
    Just realised that in the interests of openness the URC has a daily devotion and a Sunday Service on https://devotions.urc.org.uk/ audio only
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    The Pope's daily Mass is OK, but the voice-over is a bit irritating, albeit useful for non-Italian speakers!

That saccharine-voiced b*tch really got on my nerves today as she read a long and dull poem thingy during the Adoration (as if we need to have something to listen to when Adorating!) ... so I muted her for that and will continue to do so for The Duration.

Galilit :smiley:
  • Ah yes! The 'mute' facility - VERY useful... :wink:
  • Are the churches recommended what people here have been watching themselves if they are unable to go to church services during this time?

I think there is a difficulty when broadcasting a service without a congregation to make it like the "TV studio Mass" that has been expressly made for television, is rigorously cut-down to be no longer than 30 minutes, and tries to be as anodyne and inoffensive as possible. The services I have seen have not been that bad and have been considerably longer than 30 minutes but they still have a bit of that feel and I'm not sure how to avoid it, if it can be avoided at all.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    I hope our Mystery Worshippers in the UK and elsewhere will report on some of these. I intend to do so this weekend, although I haven't selected the service yet.

Most churches here in the Phoenix area have switched to on-line worship. The RC Cathedral of Sts. Simon and Jude have broadcast their 9:00am Sunday mass over local television for years -- and the music has gotten much, much better under their current director. I don't know if that will continue or, if it does, if there will be a congregation. The bishop takes that mass sometimes -- I like him as a preacher, and his liturgical sensibilities are first-rate.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    edited March 19
    The BBC is planning this with the ABC. (They are also looking at what they can do for other faith communities which is positive.)
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    Jengi, Carver Street is 12:30 on weekdays - it's the recommended option for St Quacks as we have a few logistical/distancing issues with setting up a live stream ourselves.
  • CyprianCyprian Shipmate

Eugh. I find little more distracting from broadcast worship in another language, and nothing more likely to cause me to start screaming 'Shut up!' at the television than someone banging on in English all throughout the proceedings.

Others may feel differently. ;)
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Bristol's Morning Prayer was visited by a large golden dog called Tobie this morning.
    Pendragon wrote: »
    Jengi, Carver Street is 12:30 on weekdays - it's the recommended option for St Quacks as we have a few logistical/distancing issues with setting up a live stream ourselves.

I suspect St Matthew's is using a smartphone and tripod only. Quite often the vicar seems to do it totally on his own. If there are others one of them will handle it but from the front pew which is over two metres away. You do not see anyone else but the vicar taking communion. This is done by the individual(s) holding a card in front of the lens.

• ForthviewForthview Shipmate
    I watched a live streaming of Mass this morning from St Francis Xavier's church in Falkirk.
    It is, I think, live streamed every day at 10 a.m. GMT but today there was only the priest in the church, though he did say that the church doors would be opened for private prayer once the Mass was over.
    Yesterday in our own parish church, at the last public Mass,in spite of the fact that it was St Joseph's day, our parish priest used for the Collect and the Post-communion prayer, from the Roman Missal prayers 38 B For any Need. I found the post-communion prayer particularly helpful and would like to share it

Lord, as you have renewed and strengthened us with your holy gifts,
    help us to face the difficulties of the future with courage,
    and to give greater encouragement to our brothers and sisters in their present need.
    We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Thanks for sharing that.

Christ Church St Laurence will be streaming Mass at 10.30 AEST on:

https://www.youtube.com/chan…/UCavcqdkKYxbcLzLQXJ7svBQ/live…

• Woodbrooke is offering online Quaker meetings for worship - and Britain yearly meeting is encouraging this for local meetings.
    Another couple Prayer Book Society and you can find a list of streamed Latin Masses on the Latin Mass Society webpage
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    Our first virtual Mystery Worship report has just gone live. I hope there will be more to come.
  • ArethosemyfeetArethosemyfeet Shipmate
    edited March 21
    My intention, given that my local CofS hasn't settled on a shared choice, is to join (as far as is possible virtually) the SEC Eucharist broadcast by the Primus.
    https://www.scotland.anglican.org/online-worship-from-my-home-to-your-home/
    I understand the local(ish) RC Bishop is livestreaming Mass daily.
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    My intention, given that my local CofS hasn't settled on a shared choice, is to join (as far as is possible virtually) the SEC Eucharist broadcast by the Primus.
    https://www.scotland.anglican.org/online-worship-from-my-home-to-your-home/
    I understand the local(ish) RC Bishop is livestreaming Mass daily.

I'd thought of joining that one too....
    A friend is also promoting St Augustines Ramsgate Youtube channel with the first service tomorrow at 8:50 a.m.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    We've now attended 3 online services. The first was a Choral Evensong from St James King St. The picture was clear but the angle could have changed from time to time. The sound was not good at all, the readings in particular. Still, that was on the first day and you'd expect problems.

A said Evening Prayer from Newcastle Cathedral gave clear picture and sound, with little asides from time to time about being online etc. The camera changed from time to time and this gave a bit of life.

This morning saw us at Christ Church St Laurence with Fr Daniel Dries celebrating. Again, the camera work and sound were excellent. A standard second order APBA eucharist, with the Angelus at the end. There sounded to be perhaps a half dozen in the nave, judging from the responses, maybe fewer. The text for the congregation's participation were shown on screen. We did not need them, others may have. A good touch would have been to have shown the words of the hymns as well. It was odd, but we stood, sat, knelt etc as if we had been physically there. Fr Daniel alone took the host and the cup - perhaps some words to extend that virtually to us at home could be worked out.

Well, in light of the fact that a number of the members of my already tiny mission aren't going to gatherings or, if they are, are at least avoiding public transport, we have made our first tentative steps into the world of live-streaming.

We've identified a couple of issues so far: the first is that I talk too fast. (In 36 years nobody has told me this - I suppose when I said my first words, my family were just glad and didn't want to discourage me. Then maybe they, along with everyone else around - apart from friends who tell me I talk too much - have just continued trying to be affirming ever since? I don't know. Anyway, lesson learnt.) The second is that we need a separate microphone discreetly placed near the front, perhaps just peeking up over the back of one of the icon stands.
  • Speaking too fast when speaking in public is a Known Thing. Almost the first thing you're taught when reading or speaking to a group is to slow down. Your speed is probably fine for conversation, but public liturgy and reading of scripture are a different kettle of fish.
    Sunday morning here -- no luck with my local church live-streaming (website problems) but was able to watch most of the Lenten Mass from a chapel in Johannesburg. This is a new and different kind of routine to establish, I kept wanting to go and pour myself coffee and it bothered me that I couldn't stand or kneel during the responses (because the dogs would have jumped up and barked for biscuits). Beautiful though at moments and I was grateful to be able to attend in spirit.
  • We attended the Choral Eucharist at St James King Street, as we slept in and missed the 8.30am Newcastle service. The priest who gave the welcome prior to the processional acknowledged the static nature of the vision, and said they were working on improvements. Perhaps the next Evensong will show that.

The choir and clergy were appropriately socially-distanced throughout, from processional to recessional.

I don't know what will happen when the enhanced closures are enacted in the next 48 hours.
    edited March 22
    Speaking too fast when speaking in public is a Known Thing. Almost the first thing you're taught when reading or speaking to a group is to slow down. Your speed is probably fine for conversation, but public liturgy and reading of scripture are a different kettle of fish.

Thank you for this.

For the last 15 years of my life, just about any part I've had to play in public liturgy has been sung/chanted as that's the nature of our worship. Delivering anything spoken (such as homilies and sermons) is a new experience for me again.

That's strange because, in professional life (L&D), any feedback I've ever received has been good on this point. Then, I suppose, that's a very different context.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Apart from any aesthetic considerations, singing or changing will slow down the delivery and so increase the chances of intelligibility.
    Gee D wrote: »
    Apart from any aesthetic considerations, singing or changing will slow down the delivery and so increase the chances of intelligibility.

Well, traditionally homilies are chanted too. Perhaps that's the answer. :)
  • OblatusOblatus Shipmate
    I was going to recommend my parish's online liturgies, but the bishop has ordered that no one can enter a church, not even clergy, so we had a meditation from the parking lot (that was well done). It seems to me that a rector or vicar who lives on the church premises should be allowed to be in the church, not letting anyone else in, but I'm sure the stricter rules are necessary.
  • OblatusOblatus Shipmate
    No longer live, but here is a very well-done Stations of the Cross from our parish. Sounds exactly like our Lenten Fridays Stations but the visuals are closeups of our stations along with the liturgical texts.
  • EvangelineEvangeline Shipmate Posts: 27
    Gee D wrote: »

This morning saw us at Christ Church St Laurence with Fr Daniel Dries celebrating. Again, the camera work and sound were excellent. A standard second order APBA eucharist, with the Angelus at the end. There sounded to be perhaps a half dozen in the nave, judging from the responses, maybe fewer. The text for the congregation's participation were shown on screen. We did not need them, others may have. A good touch would have been to have shown the words of the hymns as well. It was odd, but we stood, sat, knelt etc as if we had been physically there. Fr Daniel alone took the host and the cup - perhaps some words to extend that virtually to us at home could be worked out.

Re CCSL, Parishioners have been instructed they are 'united in a time of waiting'-until they can be together again to share communion. Until that time, a Priest will commune each day but nobody else at CCSL will -including the server, cantor etc at the Live Stream Sunday Mass. There is a prayer for spiritual communion:

Making an Act of Spiritual Communion

Prayer of Reception
    I believe that you are truly present in the Holy Sacrament, and, since I cannot at this time receive communion, I pray you to come into my heart. I unite myself with you and embrace you with all my heart, my soul, and my mind. Let nothing separate me from you; let me serve you in this life until, by your grace, I come to your glorious kingdom and unending peace. Amen.

Come Lord Jesus, and dwell in my heart in the fullness of your strength; be my wisdom and guide me in right pathways; conform my life and actions to the image of your holiness; and, in the power of your gracious might, rule over every hostile power that threatens or disturbs the growth of your kingdom, who with the Father and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

Trying to isolate myself as possible because of pre-existing health conditions, I found it fascinating to watch a variety of Livestream services, CCSL's, a typical Sydney Anglican suburban service and an Evangelical Free Church in Singapore. All wildly different, I expect to watch a few more as time goes on.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    One friend is latched onto the services from Newcastle Cathedral, another to those of SJKS. We prefer Newcastle or CCSL - the first we saw from SJKS was not well done, either sound or camera, and being happy with the others we've stuck with them. Alas, St Sanity does not have the money to run to that.

Many thanks for those prayers
  • angloidangloid Shipmate
    Religious communities are almost by definition corporately self-isolating. Hence worship continues much the same as ever, albeit without outside visitors. I find the Facebook feed from the Community of the Resurrection most helpful. Especially as they are not trying to be 'relevant' and simply offering the normal liturgy which is in fact extremely apposite to the situation. I'm not sure how to link to it if you are not on Facebook, but if you are simply search for Community of the Resurrection (Mirfield, West Yorkshire).
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    For Orthodox this should be a useful resource. Nothing for the Southern hemisphere though.
    They'll just get used to praying Vespers when they wake up ...
  • yohan300yohan300 Shipmate
    edited March 24
    I think this kind of service from the Diocese of Exeter works well being streamed online. Only 13 minutes. Not sure we'll see any more singing now though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxvelBxWWs
    Including the Ave ! How lovely!
  • ForthviewForthview Shipmate
    I participated remotely at a Mass this morning in St Patrick's church, Dumbarton which has and has had for ages a constant functioning webcam. For the first time I actually watched a Mass there last week before the restrictions came into force. there was an indication that about 26 people were watching. This morning there were 180.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    MaryLouise wrote: »
    Sunday morning here -- no luck with my local church live-streaming (website problems) but was able to watch most of the Lenten Mass from a chapel in Johannesburg. This is a new and different kind of routine to establish, I kept wanting to go and pour myself coffee and it bothered me that I couldn't stand or kneel during the responses (because the dogs would have jumped up and barked for biscuits). Beautiful though at moments and I was grateful to be able to attend in spirit.

I'm afraid we simply enjoyed a delightful 8km walk around Constantia and environs
  • should anyone find this useful (I did) the Prayer Book Society has a list here of daily and Sunday BCP services:

https://www.pbs.org.uk/churches-and-services/-1
    Jengie Jon wrote: »
    Another couple Prayer Book Society and you can find a list of streamed Latin Masses on the Latin Mass Society webpage

I did mention it earlier.
    edited March 29
    All Saints, Margaret Street at 12 noon (London Time) every day

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz5geWECwF4qOnv2IGFd7vQ

(It's also on their own website but Youtube is better as you can get Full Screen!)