Laid back worship, man...

...may interest those who like to introduce elements of Jewish practice into their services... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-52847175

Comments

• O! I can't wait for services to be re-started!

We already use incense, so it shouldn't be too hard to introduce...umm...an extra ingredient...
    :naughty:
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    A whole new meaning to High Church.
  • :lol:

I was waiting for someone to say that...
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Glad to oblige.
  • yohan300yohan300 Shipmate
    I believe the practice was widespread. Herodotus described it among the Scythians for example.
  • Might make some sermons less of a pain to listen to...
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Is that where adulterers got stoned?
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 29
    :lol:

Well done, Sir!

Mind you, on a slightly more serious note (but only just) would the burning of cannabis in church reduce the virulence of The Dreaded Plague (Covid-19)?

After all, incense is good for fumigating the church...

Enquiring minds need to know.
  • The5thMaryThe5thMary Shipmate
    Bishop's Finger, I think smoking marijuana in a church or synagogue or a mosque would spread Covid-19 all over the place. Most people, even long-term smokers of pot, cough and cough when inhaling the smoke. And that kind of coughing is quite intense. There's no delicate little coughing into one's shirt sleeve or a mask. Serious hacking and gasping are prevalent. Even before the coronavirus, I couldn't smoke pot at all. I have asthma and if I start coughing, I may be doing it for hours.

Ick! Think of all that microscopic crud in the air.
  • The5thMaryThe5thMary Shipmate
    Thinking of Coronavirus is depressing...think I'll go have a nice marijuana EDIBLE! No coughing! ;-)
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    The5thMary wrote: »
    Bishop's Finger, I think smoking marijuana in a church or synagogue or a mosque would spread Covid-19 all over the place. Most people, even long-term smokers of pot, cough and cough when inhaling the smoke. And that kind of coughing is quite intense. There's no delicate little coughing into one's shirt sleeve or a mask. Serious hacking and gasping are prevalent. Even before the coronavirus, I couldn't smoke pot at all. I have asthma and if I start coughing, I may be doing it for hours.

Ick! Think of all that microscopic crud in the air.
    I may be wrong, but I imagine @Bishops Finger was picturing the hash being swung around in a thurible. Would there be competition to be the thurifer?

I heard a lovely story once about how in an African country where smoking hash was predominately a backward and rural vice, a detachment of police were sent to burn a crop that a villager had been caught growing in his field. As the smoke and flames got higher, so did the police.

• @Enoch - the hash would be in the 'regular' thurible, along with the incense, unless that proved a problem, in which case we could use a separate thurible (we have 2 or 3 spares...).
  • Before you get too enthusiastic, cannabis allergy (link) does exist and is not minor for those who have it (my daughter). In some cases it leads to anaphylaxis. Personally, I'd rather not find out how prevalent it is in your congregation the hard way.
  • I'm not sure that any of us are being quite serious about this...but noted re the allergy...

• stetsonstetson Shipmate
    I think contemporary social and, in many places, legal mores would dictate that you shouldn't smoke anything in a public indoor space. So that would rule out weed in church.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    In countries where there are constitutional or legal rights over freedom of religion, how about 'I'm using this for worship and so it's my right to burn this stuff'?

I don't think it would work here, as I have a feeling, but can't trace any record, that the Rastafarians have already tested that one.

• Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited May 30
    stetson wrote: »
    I think contemporary social and, in many places, legal mores would dictate that you shouldn't smoke anything in a public indoor space. So that would rule out weed in church.
    I wonder if the "No Smoking" rule, if strictly applied, would forbid the use of incense?

I remember going to St David's Cathedral many years ago where (at that time anyway) the worship seemed fairly High but did not include incense. When I enquired of the sidesman afterwards he said, "We can't - it sets off the smoke alarms".

• Smoke alarms can be turned off temporarily...
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    I'm thinking some of the liturgical responses could need modification:

"Lift up your hearts"
    "liftin' way high, man"
  • Smoke alarms can be turned off temporarily...

Not if they are hard-wired, as I would expect a Cathedral's to be. Imagine having to find which alarm was beeping then climbing up to change the battery?
  • More to the point perhaps, wouldn't it invalidate the insurance?

However London Transport neutralised the safety systems on the Circle Line a few years ago when they ran a steam train ... https://tinyurl.com/y9cqcj8a
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Marijuana can also cause psychosis in a minority of people. I'd also rather you didn't discover the hard way which people in your congo were those people.
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    Also it would take a ridiculous amount of something like Rosa Mystica to mask the smell of the cannabis. Enough to give the average church treasurer palpitations at the incense bill.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    let alone the dope bill
  • yohan300yohan300 Shipmate
    edited May 31
    Incense is worse than cigarette smoke and should be banned. I would have thought it a particular hazard to choirs. Remember Roy Castle, the trumpet player who never smoked but played in smoky clubs?

"On average, it produces PM greater than 45 mg/g burned, as compared to 10 mg/g burned for the cigarettes.."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2377255/

"...exposure to significant amounts of incense PM could result in a higher risk of oxidative DNA adducts (27.4-32.8 times) than tobacco PM. The generation and subsequent inhalation of PM during church activities may therefore pose significant risks in terms of respiratory health effects. "

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21831441/
  • Couldn't we just infuse the wafers?
  • What a good (if Very Naughty) idea!
    :lol: