Heaven is a place on Earth

balaambalaam Shipmate
The Independent reports chocolate snow in the town of Olten. Switzerland.

If it snows Lindt chocolate it must be heaven. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/chocolate-snow-lindt-factory-switzerland-ventilation-system-a9675611.html

Any other contenders for Heaven on Earth?
Tagged:

Comments

• Chocolate snow! Amazing!

But...

Ooooo @balaam do you know what it's worth

<sorry>
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    There used to be a park in Norwich, Chapelfield Gardens, which had a continual scent of chocolate in the air from the next door Rowntrees factory - sadly long gone.
  • Eigon wrote: »
    There used to be a park in Norwich, Chapelfield Gardens, which had a continual scent of chocolate in the air from the next door Rowntrees factory - sadly long gone.

Ah yes! I often walk through Chapelfield Gardens. There is a bank of snakeshead fritillary in spring, which I try to make time to visit regularly.

In better times the Gay Pride march finishes up there. It remains very popular with young people to meet up in these unusual times, with the distinctive odour of cannabis often in evidence.

Back to topic. Heaven is wild honeysuckle scenting the air on a summer evening walk through woodland.
  • Heaven used to be eating a McDonalds in a certain city.... whilst simultaneously inhaling the smell of Jaffa Cakes from the factory opposite

Happy Days!
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Eigon wrote: »

Yes - I remember the area was not one to go to when you were hungry. Delicious smell.

Norwich is, of course, Heaven on Earth.
  • And Pottergate especially.

(But supporting NCFC is Not heaven on Earth.....)
  • A small Hebridean island where you can inhale the smell of the sea, sheep manure and coal smoke. When the last ferry leaves in the evening, it is Heaven.
  • I had a heaven but it was ruined by development and influx of population and modernization. Then my dad died. I'm not going back.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    I loved living in Norwich - definitely a little piece of Heaven on Earth. Chapelfield Gardens, Pottergate, and the Cathedral Close, and walking along the banks of the Wensum, and real ale at the Reindeer....
  • mousethief wrote: »
    I had a heaven but it was ruined by development and influx of population and modernization. Then my dad died. I'm not going back.
    Not quite the same, I imagine, but I now have the late, lamented John Prine’s “Paradise” running through my head.

• TelfordTelford Shipmate
    balaam wrote: »

If it snows Lindt chocolate it must be heaven. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/chocolate-snow-lindt-factory-switzerland-ventilation-system-a9675611.html

Any other contenders for Heaven on Earth?

I once lived in a Black Country pub in an area of several quaries. THere was a small cul-de- sac at the side of the pub containing a few cottages. There was no street sign but it was commonly known as Heaven.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Many years ago Mr F and I were visiting Florence and found a hotel among some side streets named for Dante's Divine Comedy - the Pensione Esperanza on Via dell'Inferno. So I've not been to Heaven, but I have stayed at the Hope in Hell.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 21
    :lol:

You couldn't make it up...!...though I expect the hotel owner did...

(I trust the heating was up to scratch, if you were there in winter).
    :wink:
    No, this was a summer holiday (remember them?) And during a World Cup. So after dinner in a pizzeria in the Oltarno (I had a sort of Gorgonzola lake) during which Italy won against, I think, S Korea. We then tried to sleep while excited Florentines zipped about on scooters, shouting.
  • O the natives can be so annoying...I recall a holiday in Lisbon, during which a General Election was held.

The shouts - and gunshots! - from the supporters who thought their party had won (they didn't, as it turned out) made us conclude that (a) another Revolution was occurring, and that (b) this would mean us spending more time in the country...which would not have been a problem...

I am convinced that Vinho Verde (green, or young, wine) is certainly to be found in Heaven.
    You want to be in Malta for Victory Day - marked by an aural re-enactment of WW2.
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    Or in Siena during the Palio when the contrada in which your hotel is situation has won the day's race. (We were even driven to attempt to cut the wires of the loudspeaker fixed outside our window.)

No, heaven is that secluded natural stone-walled deep sping-fed pool, under trees on the far side of a meadow, somewhere south of the Lot, which I've never been able to find again even on the most detailed map of the area), where I bathed naked on my birthday at the end of May some decades ago. A la claire fontaine.
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    situated and spring-fed, of course
    You would never think that I had ever worked as a proofreader.
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    After over 5 months of no music, I stood in Llandaff Cathedral on Sunday and heard the organist playing Vierne's Carillon de Westminster. I swear I was in heaven.
  • Chorister wrote: »
    After over 5 months of no music, I stood in Llandaff Cathedral on Sunday and heard the organist playing Vierne's Carillon de Westminster. I swear I was in heaven.

I am so jealous.
    :cry:

• ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited August 31
    Re the title, my teenage self used to think Belinda Carlisle was heaven on earth. Still do. A decade or more ago she visited and played in the regional Australian city I moved to several years before I (and my boss, who was also a fan) did -- we regretted our tardiness.

The Georgian town of Stepantsminda. Not the town itself, which is rather Soviet in parts, but waking up each day to this and wandering around the streets with sheep herders, just blew my mind. As did walking to the church you can see at top-left. Mt Kazbek, behind, is 5,000m and the source of the Georgian Prometheus legend. Mountainous scenery does it for me everytime. I hope I can retire to the mountains.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Did your morning thoughts include "Damn those clouds"? It does look idyllic, but now any travel is off limits. BTW, have you seen photographs of Georgian (the country, not the US state) Baptist ministers in their mountain land? LOTR stuff.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited August 31
    [tangent]
    Ethne Alba wrote: »
    ...(But supporting NCFC is Not heaven on Earth.....)
    You think that's bad? Try supporting Ipswich Town! :blush:
    [/tangent]
  • DardaDarda Shipmate
    balaam wrote: »
    I once experienced a more hellish version of this. At the dried food factory where I worked, someone got the settings wrong on the ring drier, sending tomato soup powder up the exhaust and over the immediate surroundings

• ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Oh my.
    Back in school we went to the Coca Cola factor for an excursion and they were producing Fanta (way back when orange was the only flavour). The smell put me off it for months. I moved to Lift (or "carbonated piss" as a friend called it...)

Gee: never heard of them. I shall look them up, thanks.