Waving not Drowning

There are changes afoot on the waving board. If you are an occasional visitor there, please take a look there at the important thread.

I will post more when appropriate.

Comments

• There are changes afoot on the waving board. If you are an occasional visitor there, please take a look there at the important thread.

Occasional visitors to Waving may not check the Styx that often either. You could try PM'ing them.
  • Perhaps I just haven’t had enough caffeine, but what is the waving board?

• Waving is one of the private forums we host here.
  • Ah, thanks.
  • Tubbs wrote: »
    There are changes afoot on the waving board. If you are an occasional visitor there, please take a look there at the important thread.

Occasional visitors to Waving may not check the Styx that often either. You could try PM'ing them.

I know - I just hope we can pick up a few more here. I don't think we have a full list of members, which is a problem, and some may want to forget their time and need of it.
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    edited October 2020
    Tubbs wrote: »

I know - I just hope we can pick up a few more here. I don't think we have a full list of members, which is a problem, and some may want to forget their time and need of it.

Let me make enquiries about that backstage. The board description can also be amended if needed.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I once approached asking for membership providing my diagnosis and never heard back from an administrator of the Board.
  • Caissa wrote: »
    I once approached asking for membership providing my diagnosis and never heard back from an administrator of the Board.

Oh dear - sorry. That sometimes happens if Esmeralda is snowed under. I will PM.
  • @Schroedingers Cat If you haven't kept a membership list, the Admins can't give you one because GDPR. The board description is within our gift so let me know when it needs to be updated.
  • So the big news is that the Waving board is moving. Sadly - and not without a huge amount of regret on all sides - the ship is no longer able to host such a board. We have found a new home however.

If there is anyone here who would like to join us in our new location, please message me.
  • And a big thank you to SC for the work he did setting up the new home.
  • Just boosting this as the intention is to close the existing Waving board at the end of the month.

Please be in touch if you need moving information and have not yet made the jump.
  • I wonder if this thread could stay open, as an on-board reminder that the Waving board exists for those who don't tread it often?
  • Is the ship no longer hosting private boards at all then ?
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    That's it. You can thank GDPR.
  • Thanks for the clarification.
  • What is GDPR?
  • The5thMary wrote: »
    What is GDPR?

There are many answers to that, most of which include swear words. I speak as a software developer, of software that contains sensitive and personal data.
  • edited November 2020
    Strikes me that the regulations are designed to deal with data for profit. Which is actually a very good goal. The catchment of bulletin board like the Ship is problematic. It's not clear to me how a private forum would be handled by them. Notwithstanding that a Canadian jurisdiction privacy complaint, if any comparison, is months to years of stress and headaches, plus thousands of costs even if you're successful in defending it. A nonprofit I know about here has much more expensive insurance now. I've felt that much admin law is to keep lawyers' incomes to their expectations.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
  • Strikes me that the regulations are designed to deal with data for profit. Which is actually a very good goal. The catchment of bulletin board like the Ship is problematic. It's not clear to me how a private forum would be handled by them. Notwithstanding that a Canadian jurisdiction privacy complaint, if any comparison, is months to years of stress and headaches, plus thousands of costs even if you're successful in defending it. A nonprofit I know about here has much more expensive insurance now. I've felt that much admin law is to keep lawyers' incomes to their expectations.

The answer to 'how would a private forum be handled' is 'the same as any other website'. The application of GDPR in the UK is at least meant to be about protecting personal data, wherever it is collected (and generally it's expected to be kept in the European Economic Area), and whether the site is for profit or for fun doesn't matter. It would probably take a chambers full of lawyers to work out where the Ship lands in GDPR terms.
  • Confirming the problems as I understand them. Procrustian bed.
  • The answer to 'how would a private forum be handled' is 'the same as any other website'. The application of GDPR in the UK is at least meant to be about protecting personal data, wherever it is collected (and generally it's expected to be kept in the European Economic Area), and whether the site is for profit or for fun doesn't matter. It would probably take a chambers full of lawyers to work out where the Ship lands in GDPR terms.

While the Adminisphere is assuredly not a chamber of lawyers, we've been working very hard to ensure the Ship is GDPR compliant, and the current situation is probable the best we can do to steer the middle course between closing down and shelling out more money than we have to fight off complaints. Private boards are an unfortunate casualty of that course.
  • So are all the private boards going? The only one mentioned here has been waving not drowning. I am a member of a couple of private boards but they have so little traffic that it's hard to tell if they have been closed or not! If they were all finishing I would have at least expected a more general announcement. Maybe I missed it.
  • Yes, private forums will be going. There hasn't been a general announcement, @Simon messaged the hosts of the private forums in September explaining the reasons why we can no longer host private forums (as mentioned above it's the problems related to GDPR, and our inability to afford any form of legal challenge) and giving them an opportunity to find an alternative if they wished to continue - which is what Waving has done, hence this more general announcement in case any Waving members had not seen the relevant discussion within the Waving forum.
  • Doc Tor wrote: »
    The answer to 'how would a private forum be handled' is 'the same as any other website'. The application of GDPR in the UK is at least meant to be about protecting personal data, wherever it is collected (and generally it's expected to be kept in the European Economic Area), and whether the site is for profit or for fun doesn't matter. It would probably take a chambers full of lawyers to work out where the Ship lands in GDPR terms.

While the Adminisphere is assuredly not a chamber of lawyers, we've been working very hard to ensure the Ship is GDPR compliant, and the current situation is probable the best we can do to steer the middle course between closing down and shelling out more money than we have to fight off complaints. Private boards are an unfortunate casualty of that course.

I agree that this is the most sensible route for the Ship to take, not least in order to avoid the cost of said lawyers. My limited knowledge of GDPR would suggest the most cautious course to be the safest.
  • It definitely sucks. We'd much rather have you all on board as before, but essentially our hand has been forced by the legislation.
  • I should point out - there is no animosity here. We understand that it is a necessary decision because of the legal implications. Sad, but necessary.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    As a foundation poster on Waving I'm grateful that The Ship hosted the board for so long. I know it has been a community where people have supported and given support to each other.

May it continue to be so where it is now.