Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Heaven: 2021 At The Table: Recipes and Food Discussion

123457»

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    What are Harvard beets?
  • Piglet wrote: »
    What are Harvard beets?
    Yale beets with a better education.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Someone once told me of watching a food fight with Harvard beets. It was impressive.
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    Piglet wrote: »
    What are Harvard beets?
    Yale beets with a better education.
    And here I was thinking they’re beets with an unshakable sense of superiority and entitlement.

• deletoiledeletoile Shipmate Posts: 18

Could you make savoury pound cake or is the sugar why it keeps ? I was thinking maybe cheddar n pickle flavoured.

I have only now started to read this thread... there is something called Cake salé, or French Savory Cake, that might be what you are looking for. I don't have a recipe, but an on-line search should produce some possibilities - apparently served with drinks.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I think I'm in love. :heart:

Tonight I made Lamb Rogan Josh following this recipe and it was at least forty times tastier than anything that easy has a right to be.

This will be on my table again today! lver is right; it's a really easy recipe and really, really tasty! I told Granddaughter-Unit that the next time she stays with me, we're making this together. She loves to cook and she loves curry!
  • The other night I cooked lamb shanks in the stockpot instead of the slow cooker for the first time in ages. The recipe I looked at only had onion and garlic as its aromatics, so I decided to modify the elements. I dredged the shanks in seasoned flour and browned them in the frypan. I then sauteed a mirepoix of leeks, carrots and celery with some minced garlic, mixing in the flour dregs before adding two cups of beef stock and one cup of red wine. Added a hefty sprinkle of dried basil and oregano and some bay leaves. Poured into the stockpot and then nestled the two shanks down into the sauce. Lid on, in the oven for 2 hours at 180 degC, and a beautiful aromatic casserole served on some warmed leftover seasoned kumara mash with steamed green beans. No tomatoes in any of our slow cooker or stockpot dishes due to Mrs BA's anaphylaxis.
  • Yummo
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host

Thanks, GI!

I actually think I've had those (or certainly something very like them) when we lived in Canada, but they weren't called Harvard beets.

They were rather good, as I recall.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »

Thanks, GI!

I actually think I've had those (or certainly something very like them) when we lived in Canada, but they weren't called Harvard beets.

They were rather good, as I recall.

They sound interesting. When and how do you serve them please? Hot or cold?
  • @Gee D They are served hot. We eat them as part of any meal but I most often serve them with some kind of roasted chicken, ham, or beef. They add a bit of color to a plate where everything is roasted and tends to blend into the same hues.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    Thanks - we'll give them a try soon, perhaps with a small beef roast cooked in the bbq (good bbq weather here now).
  • I haven't set foot in this thread, but I'm taking the plunge. I live alone now, almost "homebound" but still cook everyday. I've developed a yogurt "recipe" that truly permits me to eat yogurt joyfully.
    cup of 'Greek' yog, a fruit, diced up - peeled if it needs- to a separate cup: I did a peach yesterday (they're valued for shipping strength these days), or a pear, any kind, berries, you know. I splash a bit (good bit) of sherry or bourbon & raw sugar, which I've come to love, & nutmeg: let rest in refrig. overnight. Try not to eat that as it is, its mighty nice.
    You need a pecan sandy (Keebler) cookie crumbled up. Try not to eat one while you're "cooking". Mix it all up. Dig in. I don't eat ice cream any more-first of all, its now mis-named, and the cardboard container has a false bottom almost half way up, fooling you about the content. No veg garden for me any more, but I patronize my farmer neighbors. Bless 'em.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Thanks - we'll give them a try soon, perhaps with a small beef roast cooked in the bbq (good bbq weather here now).

Golly! a "small beef roast" would cost what I would have gotten for playing a wedding or funeral, in "the old days", when you could have an audience.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    If you want savoury uses of yogurt, homemade tzatziki goes not only with lamb but any grill - Greek yogurt, seeded and diced cucumber - mint, cumin, salt, garlic, what you will really.

It also goes well with potato - I have a simple potato, pea and yogurt curry I've been making these 50 years (Anne Thomas The Vegetarian Epicure if you come across a copy very good for that sort of thing).
  • Potato and cauliflower curry with a good yoghurt/ cucumber /mint side will happily keep me going for days.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    I haven't set foot in this thread, but I'm taking the plunge. I live alone now, almost "homebound" but still cook everyday. I've developed a yogurt "recipe" that truly permits me to eat yogurt joyfully.
    cup of 'Greek' yog, a fruit, diced up - peeled if it needs- to a separate cup: I did a peach yesterday (they're valued for shipping strength these days), or a pear, any kind, berries, you know. I splash a bit (good bit) of sherry or bourbon & raw sugar, which I've come to love, & nutmeg: let rest in refrig. overnight. Try not to eat that as it is, its mighty nice.
    You need a pecan sandy (Keebler) cookie crumbled up. Try not to eat one while you're "cooking". Mix it all up. Dig in. I don't eat ice cream any more-first of all, its now mis-named, and the cardboard container has a false bottom almost half way up, fooling you about the content. No veg garden for me any more, but I patronize my farmer neighbors. Bless 'em.

That sounds a bit like cranachan https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cranachan_66101
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Gee D wrote: »

Golly! a "small beef roast" would cost what I would have gotten for playing a wedding or funeral, in "the old days", when you could have an audience.

A different country to yours.
  • Contaminating good natural yoghurt with anything is bordering on sacrilege. I learnt to eat natural yoghurt when on holiday in Cyprus in 1968. The kebab restaurants in Nicosia served their souvlakia in pitta bread, with a side salad and natural yoghurt. From recollection the yoghurt was thick enough to eat wth a fork.
  • Still is fork-able; the migrant Greeks & Cypriots brought the yoghurt with them to Oz & I well recall the little factory in Newtown New South Wales ( then a slum now megatrendy) where Attiki yoghurt was made).

Have to disagree that it is better eaten uncontaminated; a dollop of ( Greek or better yet Tasmanian) honey and diced fruit is a rare treat, and it gives a curry a nice lift.
  • @Pearl B4 Swine Adding bourbon to yoghurt?!? I know what I'm trying at breakfast! I sometimes add honey and cinnamon, or honey and a bit of dried mint. Bourbon...
  • … here it is still morning, so a distinct Breakfast Possibility !
  • Uncontaminated yogurt sounds like an oxymoron to me, I’m afraid. I’ve never been able to get yogurt down, no matter what is added to it or done to it. But maybe bourbon would be the ticket. (If not, then there’s no hope for me and yogurt.)

I’ve had an interesting experiment. We’re celebrating my mother-in-law’s 91st birthday today, and as she recently expressed some desire for her grandmother’s coconut cake, I made it yesterday, complete with a fresh coconut. It was a bit like a technical challenge in The Great British Bake-Off, as most details were missing from the recipe, including how long to bake the cake or at what temperature. It didn’t turn out looking quite like I expected. I guess we’ll find out at lunch today whether it didn’t turn out quite right or whether it’s just how this 100+ year old recipe is supposed to turn out.

• Good for you @Nick Tamen I also have fond memories of my Mother's fresh coconut cake. As I remember her making it from cracking the coconut, collecting the liquid down to the boiled icing with the grated fresh coconut it was an all-day job. One I never felt up to tackling. Your mother-in-law is blessed to have this gift.
  • Thanks, @Graven Image. She was very surprised and, I think, very pleased. And the cake turned out well. I realized one part of the recipe I where I think I misstepped, but overall it was quite good.

And while making it stretched out over the day yesterday, it actually wasn’t an all-day enterprise. I drained, cracked and grated the coconut in the morning, did various other things and then baked the cake later in the afternoon, and then made the icing (basically an Italian meringue with fresh coconut) and iced the cake after supper.

• PomonaPomona Shipmate
    The Old Recipes reddit community would be very interested in the recipe and any pictures.

In the UK, sponge cake with raspberry jam and coconut is a classic school lunch dessert, served with custard (sometimes pink custard!). It's baked in one big pan like a sheet cake.
  • Pomona wrote: »
    In the UK, sponge cake with raspberry jam and coconut is a classic school lunch dessert, served with custard (sometimes pink custard!). It's baked in one big pan like a sheet cake.

Oh, goodness - I'd forgotten the sponge cake with coconut! It wasn't the best school dessert, but it would rank quite highly: it's hard to go too far wrong with stodge and custard.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Our new food thread can be found here!
    This thread is now closed.