Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Welcome Aboard!

Comments

• Hello, how are you? As if I don't know from Twitter. Welcome back.

I'm not great to be honest! I haven't been talking about the church stuff on Twitter - I've put a summary on the PTCD thread.

Anyway I have my old avatar back and I don't use it anywhere else at the moment so that feels goooood. Like a comfy old jumper.
  • Hi, Chukovsky, welcome back!
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Good to see you, chukovsky!
  • HarryLimeHarryLime Shipmate Posts: 2
    Hello everyone!

I was raised Catholic, went agnostic in my late teens (obviously), and now am a middle-aged self-obsessed bore who fancies being an Anglican. This is because a) they have women priests, and it seems obvious to me that women will tend to make better priests than men; b) they actually do sermons, and discuss what it means to be Christian, whereas the Catholic Church I grew up in was not very thoughtful or reflective; and c) the Church of England seems to have an easygoing, liberal atmosphere that I find attractive.

My problem is that I want to go to church of a Sunday but none of my family or friends share this ambition. If I went to my local church I'd see acquaintances who'd wonder what the hell I was doing there on my own and I'd be deeply embarrassed. I've also forgotten how the Mass works in many ways, despite having been dragged there about a thousand times in my youth, and wouldn't be sure of what responses to make, etc.

So I thought I'd join Ship of Fools and ask you all for your advice.

Thanks!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Welcome aboard, HarryLime!

I'm not sure what to tell you. Would it help to get hold of a Book of Common Prayer (or Common Worship) and do a refresher on how services go?

• Welcome aboard, HarryLime.

Lothlorien, AS Host
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Welcome aboard indeed, HarryLime! The FAQ and 10 Commandments links on the home-page will tell you most of what you need to know about what's what and who's who on the Ship - happy sailing!

As to your questions about your church situation, this thread in All Saints might be of help. If you're looking for general advice about churchmanship, then the denizens of Ecclesiantics will be happy to offer it.

FWIW, when people ask me about looking for a church where you can feel relatively anonymous, I usually recommend your nearest cathedral: you can attend services without there being any compunction to "get involved", and no-one's likely to buttonhole you and ask why you haven't joined the lesson-readers' rota yet.

Again, welcome aboard!

Piglet, the other AS host
  • HarryLimeHarryLime Shipmate Posts: 2
    Thanks for the welcome and the good advice!
  • LatchKeyKidLatchKeyKid Purgatory Host
    Hi everyone. I finally got round to re-registering. Looking forward to the conversations. They are better here than LinkedIn and Patheos.

Do meets still happen? Would like to Meet again.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Hi LatchKeyKid! I'm glad you found us again!!
  • Not so easy for me now, LK. I have been living in Winmalee now for a month. Good to see you again.
    Welcome back aboard, LKK! :smile:
    Welcome back, LLK!
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    Circuit Rider, Heavenlyannie, nice to see you again ...
  • Foolish HoonFoolish Hoon Shipmate Posts: 7
    Hi all
    I've been away for a while - I used to be angelfish on the old ship, but fancied a change of name to go with the new decor.

I've been feeling rather low and tired, stressed by all things at church, and no-one to discuss it with (small church community, can't risk causing division, etc). Wondering what and where to post to see if any of you can help me sort my head out.

Funnily enough, I recall that I first joined the Ship at Christmas time - it was one of those pre-Christmas days in the office when nobody gets any actual work done. Must have been around this time in 2006 or so.

From time to time I've dipped in, lurked and enjoyed reading the discussions, but often find myself misunderstood when I post. I think I might have a turn of phrase that makes some people assume I am harder-hearted than I really am, so I am a bit reluctant to get too stuck in, but I do like it here.
  • Welcome back, Foolish Hoon. I think people often 'hear' unintended tones in the written word. Sometimes people 'hear' what they think we would say, rather than what we actually do say.

We often perceive that others didn't hear what we actually said. It happens to some extent when we're talking to people too.

Please don't let it hold you back. What you experience is often what others are going through too. There are some good threads here where shipmates are very supportive.
  • Foolish HoonFoolish Hoon Shipmate Posts: 7
    Thanks, Raptor Eye.
    Welcome back, Foolish Hoon!
    Welcome back indeed!

There's a thread in AS called "I don't know what to do about church", which might be as good a place as any to put your church-related woes. It started out as a specific request for advice from a Shipmate, but I'd say it's broadened out a bit and you might get some interesting (and hopefully useful) responses.

Piglet, AS host
  • Welcome back, Foolish Hoon. The written word is sometimes hard to understand as there are no visual or aural cues to help make meaning clear. Try not to take it too hard and consider if a different expression may help.

I hope you settle in quickly.

Lothlorien, AS Host
    Welcome back aboard, Foolish Hoon. (I hope you get things sorted out.)
  • Hello all. First time around the site, heard that this was a relatively laid back forum where folks could come together to discuss Christian life & it's various nuances.

A bit about me. I'm a 30ish year ol' guy who is currently homeless somewhere in the Midwest. That said I am stayin' at a Christian mission with others on the same walk in life. I lead noon bible studies here & manage the clothin' & food donations.

Now for a brief summary of my life. I was adopted into a Methodist family at the tender age of 5. Dad is a preacherman, of 45 years. I was raised in church & attended faithfully up to age 15. I then began rebellin', as many teens do. I questioned the beliefs of my parents, stopped attending church, started studyin' other religions & philosophies.

I won't go in depth here on the trials that followed but suffice it to say I ran my life & marriage into the ground, & now find myself at the bottom tryin' to pull myself back up. I am a lost man in search of something, tho I know not what. My heart tells me what that something is. My brain, however, tells me that I cannot trust my heart.

All that said I suppose if I must be classified, I would be an agnostic, but, I don't feel as though that is an accurate representation of my current mindset. If you're wonderin' why I lead bible studies here, at the mission, it wasn't y choice. The pastors in charge saw my ingrained knowledge of the bible & the teachings of Christ & put me in the position for lack of a better option, & to take some of the burden off the other study leader.

I am here to seek wisdom & answers, & to try & reconcile what I feel in my heart, that being that Christ is the way, the truth, & the life, & that God is real & truly does love me, with what my brain tells me, which is too complex for me to sum up here. I am not here to judge, argue, debate etc. Only to seek & to listen.

Thanks for your consideration & understanding

Jude
  • Welcome, Brother Jude. All Saints here is a great place for support in any matters. Other boards are more for discussion. Check out our Ten Commandments.

My suggestion is you have a look around before posting and get an idea of each board, especially Hell. Posting there raises bullseyes on you.

Please remember before you post that these are public boards and can be read by anyone. Private messages can be used to other sailors.

Enjoy the journey and I hope your sailing is smooth. Hosts are here to help in this.

Piglet is our other AS host. We operate in quite different time zones geographically. One or other of us is usually around and we can also be reached by message or email.

Lothlorien, (All Saints Host)
    Hello Brother Jude, and I'll second Lothlorien's welcome - she's covered all the bases of what you need to know.

Happy sailing with us!

• Lothlorien wrote: »
    Welcome, Brother Jude. All Saints here is a great place for support in any matters. Other boards are more for discussion. Check out our Ten Commandments.

My suggestion is you have a look around before posting and get an idea of each board, especially Hell. Posting there raises bullseyes on you.

Please remember before you post that these are public boards and can be read by anyone. Private messages can be used to other sailors.

Enjoy the journey and I hope your sailing is smooth. Hosts are here to help in this.

Piglet is our other AS host. We operate in quite different time zones geographically. One or other of us is usually around and we can also be reached by message or email.

Lothlorien, (All Saints Host)
    Piglet wrote: »
    Hello Brother Jude, and I'll second Lothlorien's welcome - she's covered all the bases of what you need to know.

Happy sailing with us!

Appreciate the welcome & tips. See you both around the forums
  • Hey Jude (couldn’t resist), welcome.
  • Tree Bee wrote: »
    Hey Jude (couldn’t resist), welcome.

Resistance is futile..... Appreciate the welcome
  • Tree Bee wrote: »

I wrote my post in middle of night down here when I was awake. Seeing what Tree Bee wrote ,I realise what was floating in my mind last night.

• Lothlorien wrote: »
    Tree Bee wrote: »

I wrote my post in middle of night down here when I was awake. Seeing what Tree Bee wrote ,I realise what was floating in my mind last night.

Yes the Beatles are rather insidious
    Welcome to the Ship, Brother Jude.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    Welcome to the Ship, Brother Jude.

Thanks Rossweisse
    Now we've all got an earworm - a rather good one though! :smiley:
    Welcome to the Ship, Brother Jude!
  • jedijudy wrote: »
    Welcome to the Ship, Brother Jude!

Appreciate the welcome oh wise jedi
  • AngusAngus Shipmate Posts: 34
    Hello everyone, I’ve been a keen viewer of the site for a while, thought it has high time I joined properly! I’m a Scottish Episcopalian, and am becoming more and more involved in my little church....Best Wishe to you all !
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Welcome, Angus! Love your tiny church avatar :smiley:
    Thanks, I spotted it on holiday in Greece....a home chapel....one day!....
  • Welcome aboard, Angus. Take your time to settle in and to get used to us, now you have joined.

Lothlorien, AS host
    Thank you, will do !
    Welcome aboard, Angus!
  • Welcome aboard! There is a Scottish thread - Here's tae us, wha's like us further down in All Saints.
    Hello Angus, and welcome from a fellow-Scot!

The FAQ and 10 Commandments links on the home page should tell you all you need to know about what's what and who's who - happy sailing with us!

Thanks both !
  • Greetings to all the shipmates - I have been reading through the threads for the past few weeks and decided to dip a toe in the water today.
    Welcome aboard, Rublev! I hope you enjoy voyaging with us!
  • Thanks Jedijudi, I'm sure it will be an adventure!
    Welcome aboard, Rublev!

If you take a moment to look at the FAQ and 10 Commandments pages (links on the home page), they should tell you all you need to know about what's what and who's who.

Happy sailing!

Piglet, AS host
  • Thanks piglet, have just been reading the FAQs. Would like to know where to find the best religious joke and the worst bible verse ?
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Rublev wrote: »
    Thanks piglet, have just been reading the FAQs. Would like to know where to find the best religious joke and the worst bible verse ?

A good thread to start in Heaven or the Circus.

:)

• According to the FAQs it's already been done. But where are they listed?