Toilet Seats Up or Down?

Since I can sense that Piglet will flush me if I continue the tangent on the Headlines thread, here is the last post of the tangent, plus a reply. And we can carry on (or not) here.
KarlLB wrote: »
Since, when we go to the toilet during the night (As One Does) we don't put on the light, it's imperative (for both of us) for the seat to be left down.

However this has nothing to do with either cows or buses ...

Why? If you need a wee you'll need to lift it up. Surely the imperative is that you know which way it should be.

3 out of the 5 members of our household are equipped with a winky and I've calculated that bar food poisoning or other upset, it's statistically more likely than not that the next user will need the seat up.

The reason the "seat down" people win is because you aren't going to fall into the water butt first if someone leaves it the other way. That's a mighty nasty penalty to the night pee-er who is half asleep, has no glasses on and is probably doing the Deed in darkness.

The other way around is nothing but an inconvenience.

Comments

• Seat down, always, unless there are no people in the house who cannot pee standing up. And even then you run the risk of an unexpected nighttime descent.

• Also if the toilet seat is down, the cat can't drink out of it and then show his love and gratitude by rubbing his face against me.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Toilet seats left down with young boys in the house you run the risk of sitting on their widdle.
  • Surely you mean "cannot pee sitting down"? My family being Vietnamese, they all do it the Vietnamese way, and pee sitting down like civilized human beings. Thank God. (And the cleaning of the toilet is not an occasion for dread.)
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    Toilet seats left down with young boys in the house you run the risk of sitting on their widdle.

Dear Lord. Train those creatures!
  • Wait - which part of the seat are we talking about? I always thought "seat down" meant "lid on, lid without a hole", which always seemed like overkill to me? But now you are saying that "seat down" means "seat with a hole" down???
  • Can I suggest a lexicon?

Seat = the thing you sit on, the ring.
    Lid = the cover to that.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate

Takes years.
  • We can argue about the lid, too, but at least leaving that up or down doesn't mean a buttfirst descent into hell.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Surely you mean "cannot pee sitting down"? My family being Vietnamese, they all do it the Vietnamese way, and pee sitting down like civilized human beings. Thank God. (And the cleaning of the toilet is not an occasion for dread.)

I find piddling sitting down difficult, especially since acquiring some covid spread. Stood up is much quicker.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Purgatory Host, Acting Admin
    I thought seat down was better for small boys, lest they drop the seat on their appendage ?
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    I thought seat down was better for small boys, lest they drop the seat on their appendage ?

They'd have to be very small for that to be an issue, unless your bogs are like bar stools.
  • Covid spread???????

Put me out of my misery, I'm thinking mayonnaise here.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Covid spread???????

Put me out of my misery, I'm thinking mayonnaise here.

Refers to having put on a few pounds, in my case through working from home and not cycling to/from the station.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited September 26
    Surely you mean "cannot pee sitting down"? My family being Vietnamese, they all do it the Vietnamese way, and pee sitting down like civilized human beings. Thank God. (And the cleaning of the toilet is not an occasion for dread.)
    No, I meant standing up, but maybe it was garbled. If there’s even one person in the house who sits to pee, those who stand to pee should, as a matter of basic courtesy, lower the seat when they’re done.

If everyone in the house is a male with traditional male peeing equipment who stands to pee, then do whatever everyone agrees to.

We raised a boy and a girl. Teaching son that you raise the seat before peeing wasn’t a challenge. He got that pretty easily. Teaching him to lower the seat after was the challenge. His frustrated sister became his primary teacher on that point.

• RuthRuth Shipmate
    I think this is going to be like the dogs in churches/other public places and the drivers/cyclists/pedestrians threads.

But I'll put in my two cents: I grew up with brothers and have always checked the seat before sitting. I don't even think about it, and I've never understood complaints about men leaving the seat up.
  • Did you ever have to go pee in the middle of the night in those days, without turning on lights because they create either insomnia in you or complaint from your bedmate?
  • Ruth wrote: »
    I think this is going to be like the dogs in churches/other public places and the drivers/cyclists/pedestrians threads.
    We could always move on to how the toilet paper roll goes on the roller.

• I used to go to one of the roughest pubs in town. The men's looked like a Nam latrine that Charlie had just fragged whilst occupied. The ladies' had a knitted woollen ballerina on the spare roll. I know this because I'd use it. And deploy Willy P.
  • ahh yes, but surely the smell in the mens was much more natural.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    No, I meant standing up, but maybe it was garbled. If there’s even one person in the house who sits to pee, those who stand to pee should, as a matter of basic courtesy, lower the seat when they’re done.

Can you not say that the person who sits down should, as a matter of basic courtesy, raise the seat when they're done?
  • Gee D wrote: »

Can you not say that the person who sits down should, as a matter of basic courtesy, raise the seat when they're done?
    I guess you could, but it doesn’t make as much sense to me. Everyone sits at least some of the time. Some people also stand, but they do so only sometimes, while others do so every time. Seems reasonable to me that seat down should be the default, with those who sometimes stand raising it when they need to and then putting it back down afterward.

• Gee D wrote: »

If you do so, you are assuming that the next person along will be a man who needs to pee only. What if it's another woman? What if it's a guy who needs to poop? Wiggle as you may, you can't get out of the logic on this one.

(There's also the fact that on average women need to be in there taking care of business more often then men. Note that "on average." That's because some of us will be pregnant and desperate for a pee every six seconds, and others of us will be on our periods and obliged to deal with matters whether our bladders are full or not. Some of us every hour or two, depending.)
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I was not being entirely serious.....
  • Everybody should put the lid down when they flush, because the flushing action aersolizes the water in the bowl, which then settles down on every surface in your bathroom/loo room/whatever.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    That is a more sensible point.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Did you ever have to go pee in the middle of the night in those days, without turning on lights because they create either insomnia in you or complaint from your bedmate?

No, I always used to sleep through the night when I was young.

After decades of living alone, I moved in with a man almost a year ago. He doesn't put the seat down. I don't put it up. I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night several times a week, I never turn on the light because it would wake me up too much, and I never put on my glasses. I just check the seat before I sit. It hasn't been a problem.
  • You must have more ambient light than we do. Either that, or better eyesight (not that that's a high bar, seriously). I'd fall in--I HAVE fallen in, when living with non-Vietnamese.
  • Dave WDave W Shipmate
    If it's possible to find the toilet in the dark, it seems it should be possible to also determine (by touch, if necessary) whether the seat is up before sitting down.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    I don't look. I reach for where the seat is going to be if it's up, and if it's up I put it down. If it's not up, then I was the last person to use it and I'm going to have to lift the lid, as I habitually close the lid before I flush.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    If you’re going to flush close the lid. Experiments with dyed water have shown that the droplet spread from flushing is much worse than you might believe.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    BroJames wrote: »
    If you’re going to flush close the lid. Experiments with dyed water have shown that the droplet spread from flushing is much worse than you might believe.

Have they successfully shown that it actually has health implications in practice though?
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Our toilet, when not in use, invariably has the lid down. Not least because it's the sort whereby, at the lightest touch, the lid lowers gently.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    I don’t know about now, but I believe it was implicated in the spread of poliomyelitis in pre-vaccine days. This study indicates a possible role in the spread of Clostridium difficile, but many of the internet search results at the moment are focussed around the current pandemic when it is not even clear whether faecal oral transmission is possible.
  • After consultation backstage, it's been decided that this thread is better off in Heaven. So, I'm just going to flush it out of Purg.

Alan
  • PDRPDR Shipmate

Takes years.

Surely, you know the old saws,

"Men have directional control; it is a pity they do not use it."

And...

"Gentlemen - Aim to please!"

It is seat down at this house.
  • PDR wrote: »

Takes years.

Surely, you know the old saws,

"Men have directional control; it is a pity they do not use it."

And...

:lol:

We used the Cheerio method—drop a few Cheerios in the bowl and have the boy aim at them.

• We can argue about the lid, too, but at least leaving that up or down doesn't mean a buttfirst descent into hell.

You know the trick with the cellophane? That's what you risk with lid-down plus people who are apparently too sleepy to verify the state of the toilet before they use it.

I'm never entirely certain how the people who are too far asleep to notice that they're about to descent arse-first into the bowl manage to always pee in the bowl, and not the trashcan, laundry hamper, or some other vaguely similarly-shaped object. There must be a very narrow window of partial sleepiness you're in.

But I understand expectations. There are plenty of objects in my house that are "always" in particular locations, and I reach for them without looking or thinking. Which is confusing if someone has moved the object, but worse than that if someone has put a different object in its place. (Yes, you could screw with me mightily by putting a box of gravy granules in the place I keep the tea caddy.)
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited September 27
    We can argue about the lid, too, but at least leaving that up or down doesn't mean a buttfirst descent into hell.

You know the trick with the cellophane? That's what you risk with lid-down plus people who are apparently too sleepy to verify the state of the toilet before they use it.

I didn't realize you were still living in a college dorm!

I'm never entirely certain how the people who are too far asleep to notice that they're about to descent arse-first into the bowl manage to always pee in the bowl, and not the trashcan, laundry hamper, or some other vaguely similarly-shaped object. There must be a very narrow window of partial sleepiness you're in.

Dude, I'm female. I make physical contact with the toilet. Believe me, I would notice if I sat down on a trash can or laundry hamper. I'm not just letting fly at random objects in the darkness.
    But I understand expectations. There are plenty of objects in my house that are "always" in particular locations, and I reach for them without looking or thinking. Which is confusing if someone has moved the object, but worse than that if someone has put a different object in its place. (Yes, you could screw with me mightily by putting a box of gravy granules in the place I keep the tea caddy.)

You use gravy GRANULES? [reels away, clutching head]
  • You use gravy GRANULES? [reels away, clutching head]

We have a box of Bisto for emergency gravy when one person wants some gravy to go with whatever leftovers they're eating up. I don't use granules for gravy served with roast dinners and the like ;)

(And it's spoonable, like tea, so I wouldn't notice a different motion.)
  • I vote for separate bathrooms.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    PDR wrote: »

Our aim is to keep this toilet clean. Our aim depends on yours.
  • For some odd reason, this discussion reminds me of one of the world's vilest practical jokes - covering the toilet bowl with cling film...
  • For some odd reason, this discussion reminds me of one of the world's vilest practical jokes - covering the toilet bowl with cling film...
    Perhaps because that practical joke was mentioned by @Leorning Cniht just five posts up from yours. :wink:

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    For some odd reason, this discussion reminds me of one of the world's vilest practical jokes - covering the toilet bowl with cling film...
    Perhaps because that practical joke was mentioned by @Leorning Cniht just five posts up from yours. :wink:

Oh, oh... sorry. Too quick off the mark again.
  • I've been to a couple of female-only residences where the toilet seat does not stay up unless held. Presumably the residents do not notice, but holding the toilet seat up while peeing is a little practiced skill for me.

The other saw I've heard is "Ladies, please remain seated for the entire performance."
    And there is "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweet and wipe the seat."
  • I get told off if I leave the seat up. I flush with the lid down but I raise it as soon as the flush has finished.
  • We leave both the seat and lid down, because last person put the lid down to flush the toilet, to keep any bioaerosol generation or toilet plume contained. The other reason is that apparently that if you have the toilet seat down as it is flushed the siphon action forms a bit of a vacuum into which, hopefully, any noxious smells are sucked away too.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Telford wrote: »
    I get told off if I leave the seat up. I flush with the lid down but I raise it as soon as the flush has finished.

Why?

• Boogie wrote: »
    Why?

Floaters?