What did you sing at church today?

NenyaNenya Shipmate
I'm asking partly because I can't remember all the ones we sang. Afterwards Mr Nen said he noticed me not singing at one point - this can happen for a variety of reasons, such as it being pitched too high, or I'm bored with the repetition, or I don't agree with the theology - and he wondered why that was. I truly couldn't remember, and still can't.

We started with "Praise, my soul, the king of heaven" and also sang "By grace alone somehow I stand" and "When I survey the wondrous cross."

What about you?

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    "What did you sing in church today?"

Soprano. :mrgreen:

Seriously though ...

Introit: Jesu the very thought is sweet - Gibbons
    Setting: Missa secunda - Hassler
    Motet: Surely he hath borne our griefs - Eleanor Daley

We also had five hymns, which included The people that in darkness sat, Thy hand, O God, has guided and a modern one by a Canadian composer that was new to me. There were two others, but without checking back to the bulletin I can't remember what they were. :blush:
  • We didn't sing anything as our organist couldn't get there in the snow, and there were too few people with the confidence to sing unaccompanied.
  • We didn't sing either.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Maybe I've chosen the wrong week to ask. :lol:

Still can't remember why I might not have been singing...
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    We had Praise My Soul, The King of Heaven too. The line about 'fathers in distress' always makes me smile as it was one of the hymns at our wedding, and both my father and father in law weren't exactly happy to be sitting in a church for the servcie. Think they were happy enough with us getting married though.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Didn't go - stood down as preacher as heavy snow. Said mass for the unfrozen few.
  • Gracious RebelGracious Rebel Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Ours was a parade service today and unusually we only had 4 hymns. I remember 2 of them well as they were played by the music group which I am part of - these were 'Seek ye First' , and 'Brother Sister let me serve you'. The first hymn nobody knew 'Lord of the boundless curves of space' (but our organist chose a familiar tune) and the last was something very familiar to us - 'Lord for the Years'.
  • Only three "hymns" today in our early service: Graham Kendrick's The Servant King, When I Survey The Wondrous Cross, and Keith Green's There is a Redeemer. Thee hymns because we are strictly time limited and it was communion this week (third Sunday of the month).
  • Well, the sn*w and ice kept about a third of our folk away, but our organist was present (fortunately, she lives only a short distance from the church)!

Introit - The royal banners forward go (tune - Gonfalon Royal)
    Kyries - Murray (A New People's Mass)
    Offertory - It is a thing most wonderful (tune - Herongate)
    Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus Dei - Murray
    Communion - How great the Father's love (Townend, played on the piano)
    Final Hymn - The Church's one foundation (tune - Aurelia, played at a good pace, I'm happy to say!)

IJ

• LolaLola Shipmate
    Today I did not know a single one of the hymns. I don't think that's ever happened before! There was something supposedly to do with St Patrick and a responsorial psalm too which I always struggle with. So I didn't sing really (and er I wasn't really listening to the sermon either....must try harder)
  • When I survey here too, also Bernadette Farrell's Unless a Grain of Wheat and We Cannot Measure (to the tune of Ye Banks and Braes which I've been humming ever since).

Changed the psalm tone at the last minute when I woke up singing the correct words to a different tune. Hurray for the subconscious brain and it's weird workings.
  • First hymn: My song is love unknown
    Gradual: There's a wideness in God's mercy
    Offertory: O Love that wilt not let me go
    Communion anthen: Ave Verum - Mozart
    Recessional: All people that on earth do dwell.

Sadly, I could not sing a note, having a throat infection!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I was not at my church because the handbell choir I volunteer with rang at their church. Since it was a music-heavy day, they only sang two hymns. Like several of you, we sang (well, not so much me because of aggravating allergies) When I Survey the Wondrous Cross and also Jesus Shall Reign.
  • Our parade service SHOULD have had "Fill your hearts with joy and gladness", "Who put the colours in the rainbow?", "Come sing of the springtime", "Be still for the presence of the Lord" and "Great is thy faithfulness". But it didn't happen ...
  • We Cannot Measure (to the tune of Ye Banks and Braes which I've been humming ever since).
    I really like that one!

• Ours was a parade service today . . . .
    Our parade service SHOULD have had . . . .
    Parade service? :confused:

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    The hymns were "My song is love unknown," "Wilt thou forgive that sin" (to Donne), "We sing the praise of him who died," and "When I survey the wondrous cross."

The Kyrie setting was "The Spheres," by Ola Gjeilo (holy tone clusters, Batman!). The anthem was an arrangement of "What wondrous love is this," by a prominent local Episcopal church music director; the communion motet was "Oculi omnium," by Charles Wood.

Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Ours was a parade service today . . . .
    Was today Commonwealth Sunday?
  • The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    edited March 2018

Parade services are where uniformed youth organisations come to church.

At my church in the UK We have occasional parade services when the Scouts, Guides, Brownies, Cubs, Rainbows etc join us. They meet in one or other of our churches for their usual weekly meetings. They parade their flags at the start of the service and out again at the end and sometimes form a welcome party as people come in. The Roguelings were in the Girls Brigade or Boys Brigade and they had parade services as well which used to start with the band leading a parade from base to the church until the police decided that they would have to pay through the nose for it. No doubt other uniformed organisations do the same thing.

I'm afraid I rarely remember what we have been singing at a service. I join in with gusto and am often humming the last one as I walk home but then it goes. We do sing a lot: seven or eight hymns in a usual service and last night we had an hour long service which was only singing. Whoever is running the projector has a lot to do.
  • The Rogue wrote: »

Parade services are where uniformed youth organisations come to church.

At my church in the UK We have occasional parade services when the Scouts, Guides, Brownies, Cubs, Rainbows etc join us. They meet in one or other of our churches for their usual weekly meetings. They parade their flags at the start of the service and out again at the end and sometimes form a welcome party as people come in.
    Yes, that's the thing. We have about 4 each year. Nothing to do with Commonwealth Day though.

• TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Nothing: I sit through every service, unless conducting something without accompaniment.

Joking apart, despite fairly impressive (for the UK) sn*w we had 21 in the choir for Choral Matins and the music was as follows:
    Hymns: Sing, my tongue the glorious battle to the plainsong, It is a thing most wonderful (Herongate) and Praise to the holiest (Chorus Angelorum)
    Ferial responses
    Venite and Psalm 51 - to chants
    Benedicite omnia opera - Lloyd in B flat; Jubilate Deo - Stanford in B flat
    Anthem O Saviour of the world for double choir by Gore Ouseley
  • The Rogue wrote: »

Parade services are where uniformed youth organisations come to church. . . .
    Ah, thanks! (And thanks @Baptist Trainfan, too.) What in my part of the world we would call "Scout Sunday," which for Boy Scouts would be the first or second Sunday of February and for Girl Scouts would be in mid-March. Parades of flags are usually not involved, at least in my experience. Scouts may act as ushers, will sit together for the service, and may take a leadership role, such as reading one of the lessons or a prayer. And Boy Scouts, at least, will often prepare food, particularly traditional camp foods, for after the service.

Of the many Scout Sundays I have participated in, I can't recall any where the hymns—or, fore that matter, any other aspect of the service—were chosen so as to be particularly appropriate for a Scouting occasion.

• Rufus T FireflyRufus T Firefly Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Michael Perry's "O God beyond all praising" (tune - Holst's Thaxted)
    Herb O'Driscoll's "The love of Jesus calls us" (tune - Aurelia) & "Come and journey with a saviour"
    We finished with "Great is thy faithfulness"
  • I guess Nenya meant what did we sing on Sunday? While Tuesday is 3/4 of the way through, here.
    I took a service in an aged care home this morning. It's a monthly service, so both Palm/Passion Sunday and Easter will have been over by the time I'm there again. Which of the missing festivals to mark boiled down to which is easier to get hold of, palm crosses or Easter Eggs? So ....

Christ was risen! And we had songs which the residents knew.

Christ the Lord is risen today (tune Easter Hymn)
    I serve a risen Saviour (He lives) It would have been a trendy modern song in their youths.
    Jesus, Prince and Saviour (Dudley-Smith) OK, the words - in nice big size 16 type - would have been unfamiliar, but the tune, Gertie, wasn't.
    Thine be the Glory.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    What in my part of the world we would call "Scout Sunday," which for Boy Scouts would be the first or second Sunday of February and for Girl Scouts would be in mid-March. Parades of flags are usually not involved, at least in my experience. Scouts may act as ushers, will sit together for the service, and may take a leadership role, such as reading one of the lessons or a prayer. And Boy Scouts, at least, will often prepare food, particularly traditional camp foods, for after the service.
    <snip>
    To my eyes those dates look wrong; worldwide WAGGGS (World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts) celebrates Thinking Day on 22 February - the birthday of Lady Olave Baden-Powell, and the big Scouts service tends to be St George's Day, 23 April.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    What in my part of the world we would call "Scout Sunday," which for Boy Scouts would be the first or second Sunday of February and for Girl Scouts would be in mid-March. Parades of flags are usually not involved, at least in my experience. Scouts may act as ushers, will sit together for the service, and may take a leadership role, such as reading one of the lessons or a prayer. And Boy Scouts, at least, will often prepare food, particularly traditional camp foods, for after the service.
    <snip>
    To my eyes those dates look wrong; worldwide WAGGGS (World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts) celebrates Thinking Day on 22 February - the birthday of Lady Olave Baden-Powell, and the big Scouts service tends to be St George's Day, 23 April.
    The dates here relate to the day the Boy Scouts of America was founded (Feb. 8) and the day that Juliet Gordon Lowe organized the first Girl Scout troop (Mar. 12). In my experience, the Scouts–St. George connection isn’t much of a thing on this side of the pond, except maybe in the Episcopal Church.

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    In my experience, the Scouts–St. George connection isn’t much of a thing on this side of the pond, except maybe in the Episcopal Church.
    Even on this side, as I've recently discovered, it's not a thing in Wales (nor, I dare say, in Scotland or Ulster).

• Not at Our Place, either - the quite large Scouts etc. groups tend to congregate together on or around St. George's Day, with an outdoor service....

The groups actually affiliated to Our Place have parade services on Mothering Sunday, Sea Sunday (usually early July - we're a dockside parish), and Harvest Festival. At their request, a few years ago now, they end their autumn session with an evening Christingle Service just before Christmas.

The friendly relationship we have with the groups is a Good Thing, and, although we only see them in church 'officially' on a few occasions in the year, a number of the Young Persons regularly attend our monthly Saturday afternoon Youth Club/Service.

Suitable hymns/songs for any of these events are, I admit, difficult to choose...

IJ
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    Palm Sunday of course included the seasonal music. It opened with an organ prelude 'Valet, will ich die geben' (Jacques Berthier). Then the processional hymn: All glory laud and honour. The mass setting was Dudman. The psalm was a responsorial version of psalm 31. For the gradual we sang : We sing the praise of him who died. The offertory hymn was: The royal banners forward go. During communion the anthem was: Here hangs a man discarded (Wren). The final hymn was: Ride on ride on in majesty. The organ postlude was Prelude and Fugue in C major BWV 562 (Bach)
  • We sang "Hosanna, hosanna", "Listen to the shouts of praises" (to "Lux Eoi"), "There's a man riding in on a donkey" (to "Sing Hosanna"), "You are the King of glory", an excellent American hymn "Rejoice, O Zion's daughter" (to "Llangloffan" and "Ride on, ride on". We don't have anthems, but last year we sang "Here hangs a man discarded" on Good Friday.
  • Suitable hymns/songs for any of these events are, I admit, difficult to choose...
    Yes, a real nightmare!

• We had All glory, laud and honour for the procession, then Ride on, ride on in majesty as the altar party entered the chancel, My song is love unknown as the offertory hymn, Broken for me, broken for you after Communion, and Praise to the holiest in the height to finish with.

IJ
  • We had “Hosanna! Loud Hosanna,” “There In God’s Garden” (one of my favorites), “All Glory, Laud and Honor” and “Ride On, Ride On in Majesty.” At the offertory, the choir sang “Ride On, King Jesus.” The psalm (31) was responsorial.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    For the third Sunday, I was not at my church because of being a music volunteer (again) at a different UMChurch. They only sang one hymn (All Glory, Laud and Honor) because the service ran over time since the choir was singing the cantata.

The cantata consisted of early American spiritual songs pertinent to the season. The organist used the technology of the digital organ to record earlier in the week his prelude (All Glory, Laud and Honor) and postlude (Les Rameaux, so he just sat at the console and I'm sure all the other folks thought he was playing live! My BFF told me on the way to lunch how much she missed hearing The Palms. I told her that was the postlude. That's what happens when folks talk and miss what the organist has prepared!
    edited March 2018
    We had All glory, laud and honour for the procession, plus Ride on, ride on in majesty, My song is love unknown, Sing my tongue the glorious battle and Praise to the Holiest in the height.

The mass setting was by Gibbons, the setting of the Passion according to Saint Mark by Lassus and the anthem was Hosanna Filio David by Victoria.

It was a very nice service, but very long - Psalm 118 was read at a "station" during the procession, and the Passion setting took quite a long time.

The postlude was Bach's Passacaglia, but we'd overrun so far that D. didn't have time to play the fugue. He felt quite deprived, so he's going to do it again at his lunchtime recital on Friday.
  • We started off with the plainsong proper (The children of the Hebrews...) before the procession was sent on its way singing All glory, laud, and honour; My song is love unknown at the offertory; Gibbons Hosanna to the Son of David and finished off with Ride on! Ride on in majesty.

Prelude & Fugue in G minor to finish.
  • Yesterday evening we had a devotional service - in essence Stations of the Cross but without the walking around - so had some hymns: O Dearest Lord, thy sacred head; There is a green hill; Vexilla regis (The royal banners forward go). Also The Lamentation of Jeremiah by Bairstow.
  • Sounds good - the bit I don't like about Stations is all the walking/standing!

IJ
  • Managed to squeeze in Now my tongue the mystery telling to the Maundy Thursday service. My rule of thumb is it's fair game if it's in the Church of Scotland Hymnary. On reflection it might have been a bit much for the Baptists.
  • For Easter Day our visiting minister (who grew up in our church) had chosen to include 'Led like a lamb to the slaughter', but apparently this had caused 'a bit of controversy' (I can guess who with) so it has now been replaced with 'Crown him with many crowns' (far less 'Eastery' in my opinion). I know this because I am currently preparing the notice sheet for Sunday. We will also be singing 'Christ the Lord is risen today', 'Alleluia Alleluia', 'He is Lord', and of course 'Thine be the glory'.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    We only ever get a very small turnout at Maundy Thursday, so tend to keep to well-known hymns:
    All for Jesus
    Brother, sister, let me serve you
    Meekness and majesty (on piano)
    Now my tongue etc.

Tomorrow, we just have Faithful Cross and When I survey, two of my favourites.

IJ

• ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Off to google Faithful Cross...
  • Our Good Friday liturgy at the country church opened with When I survey the wondrous Cross, followed by ministry of the word, then Were you there when they crucified my Lord, the Great Litany, and homily to conclude.
    This evening at the Maundy Thursday Eucharist with foot-washing:

View me, Lord - Lloyd
    Missa l'hora passa - Viadana
    O sacred feast - Healey Willan

Hymns: Lord Jesus, think on me, Eternal Ruler of the ceaseless round, Author of life divine and I heard the voice of Jesus say.

I nearly regretted offering to sing soprano (we've still got a couple who are crocked), as D. put one of the hymns and the communion setting in a higher key ... :astonished:
  • Climacus wrote: »
    Off to google Faithful Cross...

Sorry - I should have said that Faithful Cross is Part 2 of the hymn Sing, my tongue, the glorious battle.

We sing it during/after the Veneration of the Cross, but the full eight verses are just a bit too much!

IJ

• ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Thanks. I did find a ye olde hymn and a more modern one. I was guessing which you preferred. :smile:
  • :lol:

Yes, ye olde hymn dates originally from the 6th Century.....

IJ
  • jay_emmjay_emm Shipmate
    At the ecumenical service we had "There is a Green Hill", "How deep the father's love", "When I survey" (I don't think we've had both the first and last for a while). One of the catholic's told another catholic that "How deep..." was their closing hymn for tonight.
  • I was pleased to see that our Liturgy today included two other songs, so the line-up was:

Jesu, remember me (Taize) after the homily;
    Faithful Cross (tune - St. Thomas, not the plainsong) after the Veneration;
    My Lord, what love is this (Kendrick - unfamiliar to most of us, so played/sung by our organist/pianist as a motet during Communion);
    When I survey (tune - O Waly Waly, the Somerset folk song tune) after Communion, and before the final prayer.

The two 'extras' really helped 'lift' the service. All most seemly and edifying.

IJ

• Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    At church: "My song is love unknown", "Passion Chorale". "Beneath the Cross of Jesus" and "Man of sorrows". I also played two short sections from "The Crucifixion" on the PA.

I was hoping that we'd sing "Green Hill", "Were you there?" and "When I survey" (to "Rockingham") at the following ecumenical service at the shops - and we did!