What are 'the winged squadrons of the sky'?

which many of us sung about 2 days ago?
v. 3

Comments

• I'd hazard a guess that they are angels, archangels, cherubim and seraphim.
  • Well it's definitely not the RAF. Although the phrase 'lover of concord' used to get me imagining sonic booms during my childhood choristership.
  • RdrEmCofERdrEmCofE Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    For I dipt into the future,
    far as human eye could see,
    Saw the vision of the world,
    and all the wonder that could be,

Saw the heavens fill with commerce,
    argosies of magic sails,
    Pilots of the purple twilight,
    dropping down with costly bales.

Heard the heavens fill with shouting,
    and there rain'd a ghastly dew
    From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue.

"Locksley Hall"

Alfred Lord Tennyson, 1842

Not Alfred Lord Tennysons prophetic predictive poem of WW2 Battle of Britain / 43-45 Allied bombing campaign.

No. = "Winged Squadrons", of Celestial Beings. (Metaphorical).
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Angels (real, not metaphorical).

IJ
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Aliens
  • O - I never thought of that!
    :open_mouth:
    :mrgreen:

IJ
  • I had to google it to figure out the hymn being discussed. In our hymnal, it's “The hosts of angels in the sky . . . .” I can’t check at the moment to see if that’s the norm for hymnals on this side of The Pond, or if that’s just us.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    I had to google it to figure out the hymn being discussed. In our hymnal, it's “The hosts of angels in the sky . . . .” I can’t check at the moment to see if that’s the norm for hymnals on this side of The Pond, or if that’s just us.
    I checked two other North American hymnals this morning. Evangelical Lutheran Worship also has “the hosts of angels in the sky.” The Hymnal 1982 (Episcopal) has “the angel armies in the sky.”

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    "Wingèd squadrons of the sky" is in the (1827) first published version. Presumably the altered versions were because various editors had encountered, or anticipated queries like the OP here.
  • Didn't the winged squadrons of the sky appear in the film Flash Gordon, with Brian Blessed as their leader?
  • Didn't the winged squadrons of the sky appear in the film Flash Gordon, with Brian Blessed as their leader?

Hawkmen! Dive!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Nazgul perhaps?
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    The hymn was written in 1822 - no aircraft then - so what is a squadron?
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Probably an analogy with cavalry units. A squadron is the cavalry equivalent of a company of infantry.
  • Ride on, ride on in majesty!
    The wing-ed squadrons of the sky
    look down with sad and wondering etes to see the approaching sacrifice.
    H.H.Milman (1791-1868) Hymns A&M New Standard.

Angels and Archangels and all the company of heaven.
    Written long before RFC or RAF 'squadrons but RFC and then later RAF may well have decided 'squadrons' were a good name to use for a company of aircraft, especially since RFC were an elite division of The Army.
  • But of course we are celebrating the RAF centenary this weekend ...
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    I thought it was a naval term - and checking, found it to be, derived from a word for "square", and also used for battalions. But I always thought it in this context to be angels.
  • MudfrogMudfrog Shipmate
    squadron
    Origin

mid 16th century (originally denoting a group of soldiers in square formation): from Italian squadrone, from squadra ‘square’.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    thank you
  • They are the horrible flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz
  • AlbertusAlbertus Shipmate
    edited April 2018
    BroJames wrote: »
    Probably an analogy with cavalry units. A squadron is the cavalry equivalent of a company of infantry.
    Yes. Or indeed from the Royal Engineers, which the RFC grew out of, and which also has squadrons.

• They are seagulls, at nesting time! They attack you as you go into church!!!!
  • Sounds like Hitchcock's "The Birds". Yes, gulls can be Very Nasty (we had to close one entrance to our last church for a couple of months due to an aggressive mother nesting on the roof above).
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    We've had them nesting round here. The trick is to walk close to the wall opposite their chimney, because they will measure their dive so as to ensure they can pull out of it. If you are close enough to the wall, it doesn't stop them diving but they are obliged to miss you.
  • Looking for the Wing-ed Squadrons of the Sky? - here they are. I wondered where they'd been hiding.