Cryptic Crosswords

Comments

• 18A: A blow for gardeners (4)
  • WEED

(There aren't many options in that space)
  • Yup
  • 1D Coaster adrift around north goes before (8)
  • ANCESTOR (anagram of Coaster N)
  • 10A: Muddled balls cause drowsiness (6)
  • TSETSE - anagram of testes?
  • Leorning CnihtLeorning Cniht Shipmate
    edited May 2018
    Yes
  • 13A Female protectors of animal son (6)
  • Do I need to give an alternate clue to the same word? (I have at least two more ideas :wink: using different definitions.)
  • I've poked at it on and off over the last couple of days, but I'm not getting anywhere. So yes, please.
  • 13A: Confronts poets out east (6)

Same word, different definition
  • BEARDS?
  • (bards outside E, and bear + ds)
  • Yes - my next version was going to be "Billies' wear letter found in flower containers."
  • 14D: Pickled French coins can't rise to the occasion (6)
  • SOUSED = pickled?

SOUS French coins

But can't see how the rest relates to the rest of the clue.
  • Yes, you have it.

Perhaps the rest is a little American. ED might stand for erectile dysfunction...
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited May 2018
    Sorry, that was on my way out to work this morning ...

8D Blow hard, reared outside, craving ecstasy (9)
  • Sorry, that was on my way out to work this morning ...

8D Blow hard, reared outside, craving ecstasy (9)

6D?
  • sorry, 6D
  • blustered.

Bred outside lust e.
  • yep, your turn (and that was a job finding a word that left the rest puzzle with options)
  • 8A: Exhaust sick Spaniard? (4)
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    FLUE
    16A. In what you read, just look for another change (8)
  • Yes, flue was right.
  • READJUST
  • 15D: The French camp in here potentially (6)
  • Latent (La + tent)

19A: Vehicle with broken motor moving out of control (9)
  • Careening?
    Car + anagram.of engine?

That's boats being put on their sides, isn't it?
  • Assuming I'm right

17D: Put up with port (4)
  • Deal
  • Yes - i suppose I could have gone for DEAD
  • Careening?
    Car + anagram.of engine?

That's boats being put on their sides, isn't it?

Your answer was right. I have to say I can't remember hearing the usage of ships on their side, I was thinking of the other meaning which is apparently North American:
    "move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way", e.g. "an electric golf cart careened around the corner". Perhaps in British English we would use the word "career".
  • We used to choose a hot sunny day and somewhere with a good low tide we could reach at high tide. When the tide went out we could careen the boat and scrub her underside, well one underside (to remove barnacles and seaweed)
  • Do we want to play again? (I'm around this week - it's half term - and going out is a pain atm)
  • I'm up for another round.
  • Okay. There aren't many of us still interested, and I only drop in every now and then. But I'm always happy to tickle my brain with a crossword.
    yes please
  • Ok, I'll set up another grid when I'm home. Some of the other people who used to play and/or like cryptic crosswords are @balaam and @Piglet
  • New grid created and is editable - and as I was doing it I could see three anonymous people looking

Rules: First person sets a clue (trying to give the best possible options for later clues). The person who solves that clue sets the next interlocking clue and so on.
  • Thanks for posting, CK. I'll kick things off:

1A: Confused third country takes time to welcome new members (10)
  • Too tough for me that one.
  • 1A: Is it part satiation? Go pole to pole for new pledge. (10)
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited June 2018
    I so should have set the first clue with another anagram for certainty as I have the last two times, but thought I'd give someone else a chance. Without any letters to help, I'm struggling to fit this to anything even with the second clue.

The definition must be something around new members, new pledge and I've thought of words like COMMISSION, CONSECRATE, INAUGURATES, INITIATION, INSTITUTES, INDUCTIONS - none of which I can fit to the clue.
  • The definition must be something around new members, new pledge and I've thought of words like COMMISSION, CONSECRATE, INAUGURATES, INITIATION, INSTITUTES, INDUCTIONS - none of which I can fit to the clue.

Sorry folks - it seems like I was too obscure.

You have listed the answer in your list here. Perhaps "go pole to pole" = exchange an S for an N or vice versa will help?
  • OK, then INITIATION - Is IT, S for N, part satIATION?

But I couldn't see how the first clue fitted

1A: Confused third country takes time to welcome new members (10)

• Yes.

Third = iii
    Country = nation
    Time = t
  • I had got nation and t, but was still stuck on iii