Cryptic Crosswords

Comments

• No. Did you get the corrected clue?
  • OK, AFOREGOING?

(that's the other word I had rumbling around FOREGOING but couldn't make fit)
  • Yes
  • 25A - Act as precursor of insect paste around here in France (10)
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host, 8th Day Host
    Can I guess without having to write one myself? I think I worked it out, but I have never written cryptic clues before.
    Oh, I thought of one I can do for one of the empty spaces in the crossword. So now I can play.

Is it ANTICIPATE? As in, that means act as a precursor, and insect paste could be ant pate, and it is around ici, which means here in France.

• Yep - you can edit on the grid, but I'll do it for you now. And brilliant that someone new is joining us.
    Oh, I’m so daft - I forgot to take into account that adding ANTICIPATE to the grid would add a new letter to the space I’d thought of a word and clue for - so the word I thought of won’t work. I will now think of a different one.
    (I hope I am doing this right - let me know if not.)

26A: Susbstance of messed up prats (4)
  • Gist? Anagram of gits?
  • 21D: Find a river in her (5)
    Gist? Anagram of gits?

Yes.
  • REIVE?
  • In case I'm right:
    18A - Finds that a blanket covers drums (5)
  • Bleurgh - sorry - it's got to be RHINE - anagram of IN HER
  • a reminder of the
    link to the grid for the new page
  • In case I'm right:
    18A - Finds that a blanket covers drums (5)

TABLA
  • 22D
    The bran mixture has somewhere to be stored (4)
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited June 2018
    BARN - anagram of bran

24A - Is Lesbos found here? (4)
    edited June 2018
    ISLE - Isle of Lesbos, is + le

10A - Oliver’s request upset home of Vatican (4)
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    ROME -anagram of more

17A: A Philippine dish made a Star Wars character lose his head and get messed up, attached to a martial arts stick. (5)
    Apologies. I am having difficulty figuring out how to edit the grid... Help!
    edited June 2018
    Okay, I think I figured it out. I didn't see the font size control at first. Apologies again if I screwed it up. I really should know better than try to insert myself into a game late in the day....
    My iPad says I have to get the app to edit. I forgot about editing - I’ll try downloading the app.
    I worked it out. Font needs to be 18 and you need to centre it, both horizontally and vertically. I centred yours, Hedgehog. Though initial letters are always lower down because they have two boxes in them.
    I completely forgot about centering. I'm a hedgehog of Very Little Brain, as it turns out. Thanks for fixing.
    edited June 2018
    You’re welcome. 🙂 I think centring is probably not so important though, as they’re not all centred - I just like making things match! I’ll answer your clue, because now I’ve come up with some more clues.

ADOBO - letters of Yoda without y, and bo.

23D - disorder in games shop (4)
  • MESS
    That was quick - I was just putting my clue in the grid and saw it answered already! 😄
  • That leaves me with

6A: Pain for piper at mass (4)
    I like that one, but I’ll let someone else do it, as I did two in a row.
  • PANG - Pan + G ?

And welcome to @Hedgehog too
  • Yes
  • So earlier this week I was looking at how slowly we were progressing and thinking that this had ground to a halt, but now, with a couple of new people joining, I am not so sure.

Is there interest for a new grid?

It won't be until the weekend if you want me to set one up (It's my Google Drive).
  • I'm still up for playing
    I thing the slow progress is where people are thinking, but perhaps reluctant to say that they are thinking, or struggling with a clue. perhaps clue setters can check in and offer alternatives, or a nudge in the right direction if a clue hasn't been answered within 24hrs ?
    Yes, I like this game - thank you for creating it, CK. I would have played more quickly since I joined, but I didn’t want to be hogging all the answers. I think the questions were all easier near the end of the game when I came in, because the grid was almost completed. But I’d be happy to say if I’m stuck on a clue.
  • OK - new grid, set up to be editable - usual warning - the numbered squares are two squares one above the other, one with the number, the other space for the letter.

1A Recognition of Biblical congress they act out (15)
    ACKNOWLEDGEMENT?

(because it means recognition, has 15 letters, has ac and t (act) on the ends/outside of it, and Biblical congress suggests meeting in a Biblical sense, euphemistically ‘Biblical knowledge’, and they is ‘men’.)

If I am right, is there an order in which we are supposed to do the clues? Last time I was just randomly choosing any blank one, but it occurs to me that might not be how you do it.

• So long as it intersects with clues already there, it's fine.

And yes to acknowledgement.
  • So long as it intersects with clues already there, it's fine.

And yes to acknowledgement.
    Okay, thanks - I didn’t know the intersecting rule.

1D A bishop leads overturning of most of wickedness before saint makes it (7)
  • ARRIVES? = makes it
    A
    RR = Right Reverend
    IVE - overturns most of evil
    S - saint
    Yes.
  • 2D: Capsizing slippery fish in ruler (7)
  • keeling?
  • 10A: Speaking in French, this is the end of spring. (7)
  • Yes to keeling - thought you'd get that one
  • Voicing - voici + last two letters of spring.
  • 8A: Unusual pet embraced by mocking smile, facing the wrong way, brings history to life (8)